Book of the Week: A Zeal of Zebras

September 26, 2011

Here’s a beautiful new book to add to your list. It’s called A Zeal of Zebras and it was created by the talented folks at Woop Studios.

The book takes you from A to Z with “collective nouns” for different animals — an embarrassment of pandas, a troubling of goldfish, a kaleidoscope of butterflies — and shares interesting information about the creatures at the same time. Plus, the illustrations are fantastic and beg to be stared at and studied by both children and adults. In fact, the images have been nominated for Best British Pattern Design.

This book would make such a great gift for design lovers, alphabet lovers, and animal lovers too!

1 elz September 26, 2011 at 8:30 am

How funny. I ordered this book about a week ago to add to our gift closet. It will make a wonderful gift!

2 wordplayhouse™ September 26, 2011 at 9:16 am

Well designed, graphic images. Any one of these pages would be so plenty fine to frame and put on a wall.

3 Keia September 26, 2011 at 9:17 am

Looks interesting. I’ll have to see if it’s at my favorite neighborhood children’s bookstore.

4 Angela Adlich September 26, 2011 at 9:46 am

I just placed an order for 2 of the “A Zeal of Zebras” and wondered if there is a way to recognize when your readers purchase something that you’ve mentioned on this site? How does that work? I’ve ordered a “Ful” luggage bag (it was the perfect size for our Anniversary trip to Hawaii), the whimsical French night-time puppets and now these books. I just want to thank you for all your wonderful suggestions!

5 All Unwound September 26, 2011 at 9:55 am

Very pretty looking book!

Does it have a murder of crows in it? I’ve always found that one to be interesting! :)

6 Katie September 26, 2011 at 10:39 am

Oooo I think this book would be welcomed to our bookshelf. Maybe for Christmas?

7 Alicia W. September 26, 2011 at 10:41 am

I’m thinking this will be perfect for my daughter’s “something to read” this Christmas!

8 fanfamfun September 26, 2011 at 11:04 am

this is really beautiful! would be a great book to get, we just went to the london zoo and saw some great animals! x

9 Kirsteen September 26, 2011 at 11:50 am

Gorgeous book, great images!

10 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag September 26, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I’ve been hearing about this book — It looks GORGEOUS!! I love how vividly it brings interest to a non-fiction topic. My daughter would love this one!

11 Erin September 26, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Ever since taking a linguistics class in college as part of my editing degree, I have had a special passion for collective nouns–a thicket of idiots is my personal favorite. I’d love the book for myself!

12 Allyn September 26, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Great looking book! I will definitely buy a copy, thanks :) I recently started following your blog and I loved going back & reading about your move and seeing photos of your house in France. What a fantastic bold thing to do, esp with 6 kids!! You’re an inspiration.

13 shelli September 26, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I just checked this book out from the library and fell in love with it!! Love it! It’s so well done!

14 Chrissy September 26, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Just beautiful! This is definitely one to buy. The design junkie and the former children’s library aide worker in me just needs to hold it in my hands! What a great little find.

15 Alison Fennell September 27, 2011 at 8:29 am

Adore the idea behind this book! As an artist I am always thinking about animal names and groupings of them and we have all but forgotten many of the outrageous ones like A Murder of Ravens! A wonderful book to engage and educate young and old alike! Thanks for alerting us to it – Alison

16 Kate September 28, 2011 at 5:11 am

What an utterly adorable book, I’m swooning and imagining a couple of prints hanging in my house. The trouble is I love them all and just can’t decide which to have: A parliament of owls, a bloat of hippopotamuses, an embarrassment of pandas – so cute!