A Few Things

September 2, 2011

Hello Friends! Are you ready for Labor Day Weekend? Any fun plans? Big BBQs? A last-minute summer hurrah? My brother Jared and lovely Liz are coming to Normandy tomorrow. We can’t wait to see them! We are going to tour around the countryside. Or hang out at La Cressonnière. Or both.

Maybe we’ll make another trip to Mont St. Michel so we can tempt our camera with more views like the one above. That little building sits on an outcropping at the back of the island. You can access it by walking on the wet sand when the tide is low. So neat! While we make weekend plans, here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share with you:

- I wish, I wish I could go see these barns.
- Make these good-looking tables.
- I added my 2-cents to this Oprah.com article.
- Inspired by these rockers, look at these mini chairs.
- Something new in the baby bath scene.
- Great ideas for DIY wall art.
- Why we get married.
- Cool DIY soaps.

I also write for Babble. Here are this week’s posts:
- Are these photos gorgeous or controversial?
- Ric rac! Pom poms!
- A subscription service for gifts? I’m thinking: cool.
- If I don’t have a pre-schooler this year, can I still have one of these?
- Made for baby, but I want them for me.

I hope you have a wonderful (long!) weekend. I’ll meet you back here next week. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

1 Andrea@Fancy That! September 2, 2011 at 4:26 pm

What an unbelievably easy project for such good-looking results! Thanks–I’ve been putting off buying a coffee table because I wasn’t happy with anything I’ve seen!

2 Design Mom September 6, 2011 at 4:59 am

I hope you make one!

3 Brandi September 2, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I love that baby bath! So cute! Thanks for sharing!

4 Amber September 2, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Those tables are awesome! I would love to do a bench… Sorry, but that baby barth looks like a big sponge (plus, basically the same idea as a puj tub, but bulkier), I can’t imagine putting my baby in something collecting bacteria after it gets wet and dries over and over…

5 Eric September 3, 2011 at 12:05 am

Amber, Thanks for visiting the site, we’re super excited Gabrielle mentioned Blooming Bath on Design Mom. We carefully selected materials that are durable, safe and soft as well as a specific foam that is antimicrobial. Blooming Bath is also designed designed with a highly durable and easy to clean Tricot mesh back that allows it to drain quickly and breathe well.

I’ve updated the website with the details. Thanks again.

6 All Unwound September 2, 2011 at 6:36 pm

WOW great photo from Mont St. Michel!

How cool that you have to walk on sand to get to the building. Can you go inside? Thanks for sharing your travel photos.

7 Design Mom September 6, 2011 at 5:01 am

Good question! I believe I did see people going inside, but I don’t know for sure. A good excuse for you to make a trip yourself. : )

8 Amber September 2, 2011 at 6:39 pm

*bath… Darn phone!

9 Sandra Gonzales September 2, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Cool… I didn’t know you’re bffs with Oprah!!!

10 Design Mom September 6, 2011 at 5:01 am

Hah! I wish. Wouldn’t it be neat to meet her?

11 cassie September 2, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Have you noticed that in your sister’s blog, in the post “Commission Project Update” where there is a picture of a baby there is an ADORABLE hairpin leg rocker?!?!

12 Design Mom September 6, 2011 at 5:03 am

I hadn’t realized that! How funny.

13 Genevieve September 2, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Love the picture of your kids!

14 Shauna September 2, 2011 at 11:12 pm

The rattle and ponchos are so cute. Adorable! I’m pregnant with number 4 and I love love LOVE that baby bath! I’ll have to start dropping hints. I won’t even have to bend over to wash it like the regular bath. Just throw it in the washer with babies towels? Yes please. I think I might try the chair project too my kitchen chairs could use some help (and some more friends) fun idea.

15 Design Mom September 6, 2011 at 5:02 am

I haven’t seen one in person. If you try it, you’ll have to tell us what it’s like.

16 The Woman Formerly Known as Beautiful September 3, 2011 at 11:43 am

I’m running over to read your Oprah 2 cents. Haven’t visited you in a while and it felt like coming home to visit today. Kisses to you and your lovely brood.

17 Design Mom September 6, 2011 at 5:03 am

Awww. Welcome home!

18 dawne September 3, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Mont-Saint-Michel? I am a bit [ extremely] envious. Never saw that back part. Good for you for finding that! The kids look like they’re having such a ball! You might enjoy this http://quiddity2.blogspot.com/2011/08/back-from-france.html

19 Ryan @ Citrus Lane September 4, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Hi Gabrielle! Thank you so much for the Citrus Lane shout-out! We are fans of your site and were really excited to see your piece on Babble Family Style.

20 The BabbyMama September 4, 2011 at 6:27 pm

I don’t think those images are particularly controversial… childhood isn’t always happyhappyhappy. It’s not unhappy, either. Children are human beings, just like us grownups, and that means they have plenty of moments when they are just *being* instead of grinning like the loons they often are. I think it’s great and that the pictures are beautiful. There are plenty of my own daughter similarly not happy. LIke so: http://www.flickr.com/photos/trunkbutt/6098681564 In that moment, she’s just being.

21 Andrea September 6, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Thank you for the Our Little Gems link love! You rock!