Giant Origami

August 15, 2011

Last week, Maude tried her hand at making giant origami. Isn’t is the coolest!? She made an origami box to hold her smaller paper cranes and she made a giant paper crane too!

How neat would a whole flock of oversize paper cranes be at a party? Or in a bedroom?

1 Hatsuho August 15, 2011 at 5:57 am

This is a GREAT idea!! Using bigger paper might even make origami easier to fold for small children. Is that a bone folder your daughter is using? (That’s a good idea too). Thanks for sharing.

2 Design Mom August 15, 2011 at 6:03 am

Yes. Mimi is using a bone folder. The paper she used is a nice, heavy stock, so the bone folder was really helpful in making tight folds.

3 Adventures In Babywearing August 15, 2011 at 6:01 am

Oh that looks so fun! I love origami.

Steph

4 Betsy August 15, 2011 at 6:16 am

Did she have a great orgami book to follow? My six year is fascinated by all that is Japanese, so we have the paper, but the direction book is really hard for her (and me!) to follow. Any suggestions? thx!!!

5 Hatsuho August 15, 2011 at 8:23 am

You should check out origami-club.com. I think it is the best origami resource!

6 Hatsuho August 15, 2011 at 8:26 am

Click on the flag of Great Britain to see the website in English.

7 Bri (like the cheese) August 15, 2011 at 6:43 am

I would love to see a giant origami crane mobile hanging from a high ceiling or wedding tent. She might be on to something ;o)

8 Jena August 15, 2011 at 6:48 am

There is a very cool paper crane installation between security and the gates in terminal A at DIA. This is the only pic I could find, unfortunately. Maybe it will still be up when you return to Denver. http://www.flickr.com/photos/oxocube/5866463478/

9 Jena August 15, 2011 at 6:49 am

Found the artist’s page. There are 10,000! http://briannamartray.com/ShadowHappyDIA.htm

10 Dee August 15, 2011 at 6:56 am

This is so cool. I bet my DD would love to do something like this for her room.

11 Dee August 15, 2011 at 6:57 am

BTW, her houndstooth leggings are awesome!

12 Hannah/Sundry Mumsy August 15, 2011 at 7:05 am

Have you seen Between the Folds? It’s a documentary about the art of oragami. Very interesting and unbelievable!

13 Hannah/Sundry Mumsy August 15, 2011 at 7:09 am
14 Ashlea Walter August 15, 2011 at 8:02 am

Yes, highly recommended from our nest too! This film is absolutely amazing and inspirational. Thanks for sharing the link.

15 Alison August 15, 2011 at 7:46 am

We love origami! and will experiment with bigger paper. Here is a mobile we made with cranes a while back. We strung beads and bells to the bottom of the cranes but it is hard to tell from the picture

16 Andrea August 15, 2011 at 7:51 am

Oh, I have to show this to my 10-year-old. She loves making paper cranes–especially teeny, tiny ones–and I know she’ll enjoy seeing Maude’s giant crane. Fun!

17 se7en August 15, 2011 at 7:53 am

That is just totally lovely!!!

18 Kym August 15, 2011 at 8:20 am

Do you know the Japanese legend of the crane? Check out the book “Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes”…..
I’ve made many many cranes for friends, and they are SO impressive when strung together and hung around a room. Lovely. :)

19 Marisa August 15, 2011 at 8:27 am

Just beautiful. Masses of giant cranes would be lovely for a wedding!

20 Ann August 15, 2011 at 8:51 am

How fun! You might want to check out “Between the Folds”, a documentary about the art and science of origami. Here’s a link to it:

We saw it on the “Watch it Now” feature on Netflix.

21 rachel August 15, 2011 at 9:03 am

Yes please let us know how Mimi learned to do it on such a big scale, and what size paper she used? Very cool and inspiring!

22 Amy August 15, 2011 at 10:35 am

I love this idea! genius!

23 Cathi August 15, 2011 at 11:20 am

Very cool indeed!!

24 Sarah August 15, 2011 at 11:29 am

a few years ago there was a guerilla art installation in a railway tunnel in a particularly ugly part of London (that I called home!). You can see masses of cranes hanging in the tunnel here http://www.pipmothersill.com/index.php?/recent/exhibitions/

go maude!

25 Robin Troxell August 15, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Maude is the coolest kid evah :-)

26 Heather August 15, 2011 at 12:57 pm

We must have been on the same wave lenght…I did a giant paper airplane posting on http://www.veryheatherly.blogspot.com :-)

27 Margaret August 15, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I love this idea! I remember making really tiny origami when I was a kid, but it seems much more fun to make giant origami!

28 Rebecca - A Daily Something August 15, 2011 at 2:35 pm

What a brilliant idea!!! Your children are so inspiring and creative! :)

29 Andrea August 15, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I adore that giant one! I made a whole flock of them for my classroom, and it looks AMAZING! The installation makes a huge statement.

30 Ellie A. August 15, 2011 at 3:37 pm

OH WOW! Don’t let my oldest see this. Last year when he learned how to make them lets just say I had a flock of them EVERYWHERE :) If he sees them this big I can only imagine although 1 really big one in my craft/playroom would be really cool!

31 Angel August 15, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I made a origami crane mobile for my baby’s nursery. I used a fallen stick from the tree behind my house and ribbon to tie the cranes to the stick.

32 Mom in Mendon August 15, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Yeah, Maude! Bravo! Love you, Sweetie.

33 callie August 15, 2011 at 6:56 pm

What a beautiful results! What size paper did Maude use for the crane? I will be teaching my Year 4 students origami in the next few weeks as we are learning about how to write and follow procedures, and these would be EXCELLENT in my classroom (especially for my few students who have fine motor difficulties and would really struggle with the tiny versions). If you could let me know I’d really appreciate it!

34 Emily Ballard August 15, 2011 at 8:05 pm

There are probably a hundred paper cranes hanging from the ceiling in the library at my kids’ school. The librarian’s daughter made them all!

35 Pamela Balabuszko-Reay August 15, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Last Christmas we decorated our church with white paper cranes. The entire front of the sanctuary was full of hanging cranes. Some were ginormous! It looked lovely and peaceful. Hours of folding by a team of people. It was one of my favorite holiday decoration themes we have ever had.

36 jemma August 15, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Our friend made 2009 white origami cranes all by himself to propose to his chinese girlfriend, signifying they would marry in 2009. They used those cranes as decorations at their reception. Beautiful.

37 Barchbo August 16, 2011 at 9:14 am

Maude is so talented!

I wanted to make a baby mobile of origami cranes but I am not talented. I bought one and sleep easily. If I had Maude’s talent I would try again!

38 Anne Evans August 16, 2011 at 9:58 am

I made origami crane garland for my wedding and it turned out beautiful! here is a link if anyone would like to see.

39 Krystle August 16, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Those are so cute. I love the varying sizes. I think it would look great used on wall in a bedroom or as some type of mobile.

40 sarah August 18, 2011 at 12:04 am

O my I am fifteen and I am absoulutly in love with Maude outfit!
But then again the Blairs are always an emensley fashionable group.

41 Kristen M. August 20, 2011 at 8:35 am

My daughter (about the same age as Maude) made a similar giant crane a while back. She learned origami on her own from books and websites and is happily obsessed.

42 kelli September 19, 2011 at 5:52 pm

My son (5) has been obsessed with origami for much of the last year. He learned at a science night at the local elementary school to create 3d objects (like cubes, or more complex) out of simple flat folded shapes. We took some old architect’s vellum and trimmed it into 30″ squares, and made a cube with 10″ sides. He loves to follow the instructions in my books, and really likes Meenakshi Mukerjij’s books (http://www.origamee.net/).