Espadrilles

August 10, 2011

franceDMbanner

Flip flops are not very common here. The summer shoe of choice seems to be a pair of Espadrilles. I’ve spotted them at the beach, at the market, and at dinner too.

We found ours at the grocery store (it’s sort of like a Super Target) for about 6 euros. They come in all sorts of colors and are worn by girls and boys, men and women. Have you ever worn Espadrilles? My advice: buy a pair that fits nice and tight — the fabric will stretch a bit as you walk.

P.S. — I remember being in 5th grade and seeing espadrille style shoes by Esprit at the department store. I didn’t buy a pair, but I coveted them!

1 Megan Flowers August 10, 2011 at 8:40 am

Haha Esprit! I always longed for Esprit but it was more than mom wanted to spend

2 Design Mom August 10, 2011 at 4:07 pm

I was the same!

3 Nikki August 10, 2011 at 9:02 am

I need to find this store. We’ll be visiting in September!

4 Rebecca - A Daily Something August 10, 2011 at 9:06 am

I could KICK myself right now. Actually, I am. JUUUUST found a pair of these at a thrift store, but they were a little tight (apparently that’s perfect) and $7. I thought it was a rip off. I passed. BUMMMER.

5 Angie August 10, 2011 at 9:10 am

Actually, those look very similar to Toms brand shoes – http://www.toms.com! And Toms are sweeping the midwest fashion trend.

For every pair of shoes purchased, Toms donates a pair to a child in need. So a stylish pair of shoes does more than just make you look fashionable!

They’re also doing the same with sunglasses. Check them out!

6 Jessica August 10, 2011 at 9:42 am

I love my Toms! So comfortable, as I am sure most espadrilles are.

7 Design Mom August 10, 2011 at 4:12 pm

So funny, Angie! I just realized I posted about Tom’s for the first time in 2007 (http://www.designmom.com/2007/09/toms-shoes/), but I’ve never actually tried on a pair.

8 Ivonne August 10, 2011 at 9:12 am

In South America we have “Alpargatas”. they look like the Espadrilles.
The alpagartas are very common in Argentina and Uruguay. In Paraguay you can find them in some places. But here everybody prefer flip flops.

9 Stephanie @ henry happened August 10, 2011 at 9:15 am

Yep, I so wanted everything Espirt as a kid :) No flip flops? Reason 1,999,843 to move to France.

10 Julie August 10, 2011 at 9:18 am

I’ve had a couple pair in the past but I don’t think since college have I had true espadrilles… the kind that get totally ‘grody’ by the end of the season, start to fall apart, and stink… ;-)

11 Design Mom August 10, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Grody! I haven’t heard that word in so long. Memories!

12 Tanya August 10, 2011 at 9:18 am

They definitely look like TOMS. Which are a must :)

13 Everton Terrace August 10, 2011 at 9:26 am

You know, I’d forgotten about these fabulous shoes. I love them and haven’t had a pair in eons. Much better for me than a sandal because I hate how dirty my feet get by the end of the day when wearing a sandal. I could use about 5 pair of 6 euro cute shoes :)

14 Ms.Amy August 10, 2011 at 9:27 am

I picked up a pair of espadrilles from Old Navy a few years ago. Surprisingly, I wore them until they fell apart, and have been on the hunt to replace them. They really are a lovely alternative to flip-flops.

15 aubrey August 10, 2011 at 9:27 am

i love espadrilles. that was the shoe of choice growing up in new england. here in the southwest though flip flops are the go to shoe all year round. but i’m thinking i need to get me a good pair of espadrilles. they are rather chic!

16 Jules August 10, 2011 at 9:35 am

I had pink and gray stripped Esprit espadrilles in the 80s. I never did get the hang of wearing them, though. My friend’s mom, who recently passed away, was French-Swedish and in the 20 or so years I knew her, I only saw her in Channel spectator pumps and espadrilles. I don’t think she owned a pair of sneakers and I know for a fact the woman wouldn’t touch a pair of flip-flops with a ten foot pole. This post reminded me of her, so thank you! :)

17 Design Mom August 10, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Glad you had a chance to remember your friend’s mom!

18 wordplayhouse™ August 10, 2011 at 9:40 am

For the kids and I, summer finds us mostly barefoot around here, but I think these are a pretty and simple option…probably better for your feet than flip flops too.

19 Heather @That Uncomfortable Itch August 10, 2011 at 9:41 am

I used to LOVE espadrilles! I fancied myself very Euro and now I know why. I even had a pair with a British flag on them, got them at a thrift store. Still love them and now very much want a pair again. :)

20 julie r August 10, 2011 at 9:43 am

cute! they definitely seem similar to TOMS, which are SOOOO comfortable. i only have one pair and i want to save up my $$$ for a pair in EVERY color. :)

21 Barchbo August 10, 2011 at 10:01 am

I had royal blue esprit espadrilles and a pale pink and pale gray striped pair! I was the hardest working babysitter in my neighborhood – I would always play and spend lots of time with the kids so they would like me and I would get asked back so I could make more money for Esprit and Guess!

I still love espadrilles. What do you think about the Toms wedges?

22 Design Mom August 10, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Oh babysitting for clothes money! I remember it well.

23 Sarah August 10, 2011 at 10:12 am

I had pink and green plaid Esprit espadrilles in middle school, something I splurged on with my allowance money. Totally impractical, but I adored them.

24 Lori Jo August 10, 2011 at 10:12 am

omg… esprit- loved the brand as an adolescent and loved espadrilles too! i haven’t had a pair in awhile, but were always a favorite.

25 Katie R August 10, 2011 at 10:24 am

GASP! Tom’s come in size 12??? My feet were big before I had three children, but every pregancy, I gained 1/2 a size. Thank you for sharing!!!!!!

26 The New Diplomats Wife August 10, 2011 at 10:31 am

if you make it to the south of france, check out the espadrilles there, especially around biarritz area – gorgeous colors and stripes and patterns.

27 Design Mom August 10, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I’d love a stripey pair!

28 Stephanie August 10, 2011 at 10:38 am

I LOVE espadrilles (as much as my “flop shoes” as my daughter used to call them). Haven’t been able to find a good pair of real espadrilles in years…the kind w/ the woven sole. When I was 18 I had a pair of ruby red ones that I wore until the soles came apart and my toes poked through! Thanks for the nice memory!

29 Catherine at Design Editor August 10, 2011 at 10:45 am

OK. When I think of espadrilles I laugh because I had a HUGE crush on a guy in high school that wore them. Now that was in 1989, times were different, but looking back I don’t think he was interested in dating girls. Oh, to be young and naive!

30 Elisabeth August 10, 2011 at 10:48 am

I have a sunshine yellow pair of espadrilles that I bought here in Atlanta from Ann Mashburn (www.annmashburn.com), sourced in France. I’ve worn them constantly this summer b/c they are so comfortable, but thanks to the routine adventures of motherhood, I’ve gotten them filthy. Do you have any advice on how to clean them?

31 Design Mom August 10, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Good question, Elisabeth. Anyone know?

32 Ale August 11, 2011 at 12:11 am

Hand wash them (pre-wash if necessary) trying to keep the sole upwards, so it will stay as dry as you can. I’ve washed some of them in the washing machine, but most of them survive only to one or two washing. Then hang them to dry in the sun, or at least in a very dry place, or they will rot.

33 Ale August 10, 2011 at 11:00 am

They’re fantastic, the only problem with them is that they don’t like to get wet (they don’t like rain, showers, washing machine…): keep them dry! And, for women, the wedges are fabulous, so cheap and so easy to wear. When you go to Spain, look for them, they have them in every shape and colour, the best are the little ones, for girls.

34 Dia August 10, 2011 at 11:10 am

Oh but they stink SO BAD if they get wet. Just saying :-)

35 Natalia September 21, 2011 at 6:10 pm

they do!!! mine got wet, and i’ve washed them 3 times already, and the stink just won’t go away :(

36 Dee August 10, 2011 at 11:13 am

I had some espadrilles in the 90s. Loved them then, but don’t think I’d wear them now.

37 R. Pyper August 10, 2011 at 11:29 am

I was just going to comment that these look an awful lot like the Toms that are so popular lately, but it looks like a bunch of you beat me to the punch. :)

38 Janet Oliver August 10, 2011 at 11:37 am

I think I know your grocery store. Monoprix, right?

39 Jen August 10, 2011 at 11:43 am

when we vacationed in europe the summer i was 14 (celebrated my 14th in manaco! lucky i know) we all had a pair. loved them. would love to have a pair once more but all i can seem to find out here in quebec are platform ones and that’s not happening. have fun in your new shoes!!!

40 Design Mom August 10, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Monaco? That is lucky!

41 elz August 10, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I remember espadrilles being everywhere in Spain, Italy, and France when we lived in Europe. Espadrilles and those grass beach mats are vivid memories for me. Sigh…

42 se7en August 10, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Love, love, love Espadrilles… wish I could find them locally.

43 Marianne August 10, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I found great espadrilles in all colors and patterns from Soludos.com, they are true espadrilles! I got the red and love them! The guy created them because he couldn’t find any traditional ones in the states.

44 Ale August 11, 2011 at 12:34 am

I bought them when I went to Spain some years ago, from this shop in Calle de Divino Pastor 29, Madrid:
I hope they’re still open, the website is not updated!
But there are others, little shops (and workshops) with lots and lots of alpargates (espadrilles).

45 Claire August 11, 2011 at 11:24 pm

J’adore les espadrilles, very comfy in the summertime, they cool down your feet thanks to their natural cord soles.
On my last trip to French Pays Basque (you have to go down there if you have a chance, it’s amazing: Biaritz, Bayonne, small villages in the mountains….) I bought a cool pair I’m wearing right now:
http://www.fond-ecran-image.com/galerie-membre,chaussure,cadre-pour-espadrilles-de-corde-et-de-toilejpg.php (the left ones! :-)