Ask Design Mom: Gifts for New Dads

August 5, 2011

Two Questions:
I’d love your thoughts on a gift that I could get my husband for the birth of our second child. Do you have any ideas on a gift that could be memorable, celebrate his role as a dad and supportive husband, yet not fall into the “too-fancy-that-he’ll-put-it-away-and-we’ll-never-see-it” category? Thanks in advance. — Erin

I’m about to have my first baby (a little girl and I couldn’t be more excited about it!!) and was wondering if you had any suggestions for gifts for my husband and our families. I want to give them gifts from the baby when she arrives and have some picked out but am having a terrible time with others!  Any suggestions? Thanks! — Allison

Answer:
Great questions! I love the idea of giving something to your husband to celebrate his role as Dad. So sweet! Though I confess, Ben Blair and I didn’t exchange gifts for any of our babies. : )

I think books are a wonderful idea. You can pick out something classic for your husband to read to your new baby. Ask his parents what your husband’s favorite book was as a small child, buy it, and write a note in the front cover. Wouldn’t that be sweet?

What about you, Dear Readers? What sorts of gifts do you like to give to your husband?

P.S. — I think Maggie is a genius when it comes to gifts for men. I love her suggestion of the bacon of the month club.

image here

1 Suzanne August 5, 2011 at 8:00 am

I got my husband vintage cufflinks in my son’s birthstone. I’ve had them engraved with our son’s monogram, and we’re planning to pass them on to him when he graduates from college.

2 Design Mom August 5, 2011 at 8:14 am

Cufflinks make a wonderful future heirloom. Great idea!

3 'rachel August 5, 2011 at 8:09 am

Something I did for myself but ended up being for my husband was a CD, (my oldest is 20) of songs that I love but that were sweet and slow and would be calming for a baby. I didn’t know it until years later but when he would stay up with her, he would dance around the living room with her and sing along to the songs on that CD.
A few of those songs (on our iPods now) still illicit an emotional response.

Good luck!

4 Design Mom August 5, 2011 at 8:13 am

I love that idea, Rachel!

5 Sara August 5, 2011 at 8:33 am

If it’s a daughter your expecting, a great book is strong fathers, strong daughters. We have 3 girls and my husband has reread it with each one. It is also something he gives to those expecting girls. Good message on the importance of a fathers “role”.

6 Leasa August 5, 2011 at 8:40 am

Maybe it’s not too original, but I gave my husband a very nice watch to commemorate the birth of our last child. We knew our family was complete and I wanted to give him something nice, yet something he would use and remember every day! He was very pleased.

7 vicky August 5, 2011 at 8:47 am

I gave my husband a cigar box full of cigars. (Although I felt really weird being the huge obviously pregnant lady in the cigar store!)

8 Anna August 5, 2011 at 8:58 am

I too gave my husband a watch (engraved with our sons name on the back) for the birth of our son. He plans on passing it down to him one day. Also, for the birth of our daughter I gave him a pocket watch- that too will be passed down to her one day (maybe she can wear it as a necklace!).

9 Abbie August 5, 2011 at 9:57 am

I also gave my husband cufflinks. They have our daughter’s birthdate and weight/height, etc. on them and they are from a Design Mom sponsor-Julian & Co.

10 stacy August 5, 2011 at 10:21 am

I saw this idea on Pinterest and love it! http://pinterest.com/pin/51757074/
It is a collection of dates, one per month. I think it is a great idea for new parents in general, but could be a great message to your husband that just because baby has arrived doesn’t mean life as a couple is over.

11 Bente August 5, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I gave my husband a t-shirt with the inscription “Keep calm and carry on”. He loved it and so did the midwives!

12 bec August 5, 2011 at 12:17 pm

i love the idea of asking him what his favorite book was as a child…thanks!

13 N'tash August 5, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I got my husband a photo frame with lettets “bebis” (Swedish for the “baby”) cut in it so that he could put one picture of our son for each letter! He nearly cried when he got it!!!

14 Kelly August 5, 2011 at 12:49 pm

If you want something playful, Hop on Pop. My husband liked 1,000 Your Kids Should See and Do or 1001 Things It Means to be a Dad.

15 Barchbo August 5, 2011 at 2:31 pm

My husband loved that I arranged for a photographer to come to the house when our son came home (the day after we came home from the hospital.) We had the photographer take several photos of my husband and son together and I had his favorite put on a mug by Hi There Press (whom I discovered through a Design Mom contest.) And I got the idea for the newborn photography from Design Mom, too.

Thanks Gabby – you are the inspiration and source of my husband’s favorite gift!

16 Jess August 6, 2011 at 7:32 am

Thanks for this question – I’m face delivering #2 any day and I think it calls for a hubby gift too. I can’t be pregnant with out him – literally and emotionally!

17 msalanio August 8, 2011 at 7:02 am

I love this article, me and my husband are still praying for a baby. I love reading your sweet comments. Hope to share my sweet comment soon! (having a baby)

18 elizabeth@doievenlikethis August 12, 2011 at 8:03 am

Great question. I appreciate everyone’s ideas. I am due in October with our first and was looking for some inspiration in this department. I am thinking cufflinks now. Thanks again.

19 erin August 24, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Had a thought – what about planting a tree in a park that he could visit, with the kids, through out life? Too heavy?

20 Design Mom August 28, 2011 at 3:51 am

I love that idea, Erin! So sweet.

21 Jodi October 5, 2011 at 12:13 pm

How about Visioin Forums Courageous Gift Pack..it is incredible and on sale. I just ordered 2! Blessings, Jodi

22 Arielle Grace November 20, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Men are hard! It’s always a challenge. My guy likes to work outside and is always getting splinters, I found this First Aid Essentials gift set that has a professional splinter removal kit. It works incredibly well, and is great for kids too. Imagine removing splinters tear-free! http://www.tweezersplus.com/first-aid/first-aid-essentials-gift-set/