Ask Design Mom: Foreign Newspapers for Wrapping

August 1, 2011

Question:
For the past few years I have been wanting to use French newspapers to wrap my Christmas Gifts. I have looked online, but cannot speak or read French. Makes it hard trying to place an order. Any help, tips, or guidance would greatly be appreciated. Best regards, Kate

Answer:
Hi Kate! What a fun question. It brings up a memory of opening my very first Anthropologie catalog (back before there were even stores!). In between the pretty products they offered tips and bits of advice. One tip recommended ironing foreign newspapers to make them look aged and yellowed and then using them as wrapping. Such a cute idea!

If I was in America and was looking for newspapers in foreign languages, I would get on Craig’s List. In the wanted section I would say, “Calling All Travelers”. I would describe what I was looking for and offer to pay for shipping. I would do the same thing on Twitter too.

What about you, Dear Readers? Any good reliable sources for receiving foreign-language non-digital newspapers?

1 tara August 1, 2011 at 9:20 am

Try an Asian grocery store if you have any in your area. There are usually newspapers right up front.

2 tara August 1, 2011 at 9:26 am

Here is a legitimate link (in English) for subscribing to French publications – http://www.unipresse.com/index.php

3 Shelley (EvenAndy) August 1, 2011 at 9:48 am

Also, some of the big bookstores carry newspapers from other countries. I think that is a really cute idea!

4 Jana @ The Summer House August 1, 2011 at 9:51 am

It would be fun to do a snail mail newspaper exchange. Swap bot is a good resource to organize it. I’d love some unique papers too. When I did an crafty exchange earlier this summer, I included road maps to be used as gift wrap. I swapped with girls in Australia and London. Fun :)
xo Jana

5 The New Diplomats Wife August 1, 2011 at 10:18 am

Barnes and Noble sometimes carries a good selection of foreign press – even at my hometown Fargo location.
Asian or Russian grocery stores/delis.
And even though it’s English language, the salmon color of the UK’s Financial times is a good one – looks great with brown or yellow cloth ribbons.
And if all else fails, there are always the stock pages of the Wall Street Journal, might as well be a foreign language and looks great with any color.

6 L.Butler August 1, 2011 at 10:55 am

Try the airport, or a big city newspaper kiosk. I have found good selections of foreign language newspapers at both!

7 DENISE. August 1, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Hi Kate (& everyone)! I love newspapers, too. Not only are they fun for wrapping gifts, but they make great backgrounds for bulletin/inspiration boards and even wallpaper in a tiny room. ANYWAY, I’ve gotten mine on eBay. You can get anything there! Or when a friend is traveling abroad, I ask them to bring some back. I also stock up whenever I travel abroad. Of course great newsstands have them, too, and sometime you can ask them for papers they are going to throw out or ask for a special order. I’m fond of Italian and Asian newspapers in addition to the French ones you mentioned.

8 zchamu August 1, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Bigger newsstands often carry foreign papers. There’s one called Mags and Fags in Ottawa and they carry the top papers from London, Paris, New York, etc.

9 Beth August 1, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Airport newsstands.

10 Design Mom August 1, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I love all these sources and ideas! I think I might have to gather some newspapers for myself too.

11 Kim August 1, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I love that idea and had to share something I just came across…an etsy site that has art painted on french newspaper. I bought a few and they are so unique.

12 Katie August 1, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I love wrapping with newspapers, ironing the paper is a great trick I’ve never thought of before! Going to try it out for sure!

13 RebeccaNYC August 1, 2011 at 5:09 pm

I buy Le Monde at the local newsstand. I recently covered a parsons table in articles and map sections for my hall way. If I do say so myself…it looks fabulous!

14 Lola August 1, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I love using newspaper as wrapping paper, and used to get mine at Borders, until they went bust (I think they still exist in the US?). If you have time and are up for an adventure, wander around your nearest city – you often find areas largely populated by one nationality, and not just Chinatown and the Jewish Quarter. Recently I stumbled across a few streets of London I hadn’t visited before and it quickly became obvious that it was a French-speaking area, complete with French-language newspapers at the newsagents. You could always do a little bit of online research to guide you first.

15 prianka August 1, 2011 at 9:33 pm

- Try speciality Asian grocery stores as others said
- newspapers from all over the globe are available at university libraries but you may have to pay if you want to use them, not read them

16 ElizaKH August 1, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I always thought it would be fun, when I have kids, to get a few local and foreign papers from their birth date for future reading to see what was happening on the day they were born. I don’t have kids yet, but I had always wondered where I would get them. Thanks for the question, and for the posters with the answers!!

17 Nikki August 2, 2011 at 12:07 am

Hi Eliza – a thoughtful friend of mine wrapped their gift to our newborn son in the day’s newspaper. Such a cute, novel idea. x

18 Kate August 2, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Thank you so much for posting my question. And all the fabulous answers…I can’t wait to start my “hunt”.

Thanks again to everyone!

19 bettijo @ PagingSupermom.com August 5, 2011 at 6:32 pm

This is so fun! I don’t have any good sources, but this totally reminded me of my husband an my first Christmas together. We were poor college students and wrapped all our gifts in the school newspaper. We also made a star for our tree out of the newspaper… it was so cool and too this day I still regret that we didn’t save it.

20 Naomi Sparks March 17, 2012 at 2:10 am

I love to male use of newspaper. I cover books and presents. I got an idea to try and get hold of foreign language newspapers like French and Italian and to make placemats with it. I wil cut a size to work and laminate it? And then cover boxes for presents and bags as well? I live in South Africa and work at a Childrens Home in the town Potchefstroom. Thank you for all the bright ideas to get hold of newspapers. I will start the hunt.