A Few Things

August 12, 2011

Hello Friends! Did you have a good week? Something that made me smile this week was seeing the fields of sunflowers. Normandy is covered in huge fields of sunflowers right now! I imagine they’ll be harvested for seeds in the next few weeks. I’ve never seen a sunflower harvest. I wonder what it’s like?

While I ponder the taste of a salty sunflower seed, here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share with you:
- Vintage air-stream trailer.
- Make your own Eames-style coatrack.
- She posts paintings and lets readers name them.
- Dying lampshades.
- My sis is writing for Real Simple!
- My guest post on Prêt á Voyager (all about Normandy).
- The new gypsies.
- Are your photos uninspired? You need this Superhero Photo Class!

I also write for Babble. Here are this week’s posts:
- They’re made from vintage quilts!
- You’ll want to give this as your next shower gift.
- Wait. Are those plants upside down?
- You have to go see this necklace.
- Yes please! A custom letterpress image of your home.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend. We have more guests arriving on Sunday, so I’ll be getting the house in order and stocking the fridge. How about you? I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already!

1 Veeda August 12, 2011 at 10:14 am

I love your pictures of those happy sunflowers. Thanks for the link on dying lampshades. With a new house to decorate, this is a tip I’m going to try!

2 Victoria August 12, 2011 at 10:38 am

Love Airstreams. These ones have seen better days, but still such a super cool design.

And I’d love that letterpress image of my home. So lovely.

3 Make and Play August 12, 2011 at 11:04 am

Beautiful sunflowers!!!! They would be perfect flowers for a bride!

4 Mary August 12, 2011 at 11:06 am

Every time I see sunflowers I think of the Henry Mancini theme song from a Sophia Loren movie of the same name (long time ago).

5 Ashlea Walter August 12, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Happy weekend! Would LOVE to see a post with beautiful pics about your stocked fridge french-style, not just frozen crap from Costco, ha!

6 Sherri August 12, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Still have a beautiful photo of a sunflower field – taken quickly (jumped from car in Loire Valley on my way somewhere else – though can’t think where) – 15 years ago or so (when my family lived overseas) – hanging on the wall in my living room. They were amazing – as far as the eye could see – tall as me – blue sky above. Remember that day clearly. Just love and miss France and Luxembourg so much. Enjoy your weekend.

7 Elizabeth August 12, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Sunflower harvest isn’t nearly as pretty, unfortunately!

8 Gwen August 12, 2011 at 2:45 pm

So…the big problem with your site? It’s so much fun, I get nothing done on my own! Lol-ing

9 Denise Laborde August 12, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Did you know that in France they harvest the sunflowers to make oil? Yup.

10 Janan W August 12, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I bought beautiful sunflowers for my back patio in Alabama. They quickly were looking dead. I tried everything until one morning I looked out to see Squirrels attacking them. They were dead within a week…the flowers not the squirrels. ;)

11 Nicole August 12, 2011 at 6:18 pm

“They were dead within a week…the flowers not the squirrels.” ROTFL!

12 Nicole August 12, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Those pictures make me smile.

13 Andrea August 12, 2011 at 9:10 pm

For some reason when you asked what a sunflower seed harvest was like, I felt really sad. About the sunflowers dying. Is that pitiful or what?

14 Prêt à Voyager August 13, 2011 at 2:07 am

Bon week-end, Gabby! Thanks again for sharing a beautiful view of Normandy with my readers! :)

15 My Traveling Troop August 13, 2011 at 9:50 am

Wow! I bet the sight of all those sunflowers is enough to brighten anyone’s day! Thanks for sharing!

16 Emily August 13, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I followed that link to the Modern Gypsies Collection, and I was very upset to find nudity- just as a warning to others.

17 dawne August 13, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Hi Gabby, I enjoyed reading your post on Prêt á Voyager. That’s a cool blog. Ever since we returned from our fabulous vacation in Normandy, I can’t get enough of reading articles about it! You gave me lots to dream about for our next trip. I’m writing about our trip now on my blog.
And those Sunflowers! Gorgeous! Saw lots in the Loire Valley, too.
Bon Dimanche!

18 Lola August 13, 2011 at 8:26 pm

My contingency plan has always been to run away with gypsies – as a child I was crushed when some set up home near us … and had really boring modern caravans; if I was going to run away, I needed to do it in more style than that!

19 Dee August 13, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Happy Weekend, Gabrielle. The kiddos and I are visiting “home” for me this weekend: New York. :)

20 Jennifer August 14, 2011 at 7:45 am

Beautiful sunflowers. I have always dreamed of seeing the sunflower fields in France!

21 Sonja August 15, 2011 at 8:47 am

When you posted your poppy pictures earlier I was just waiting for your sunflower pictures – this is what I saw when I was in France a long time ago – beautiful!!

22 Ekaterina August 17, 2011 at 4:22 pm

How I love these sunny flowers!
My daughter often draws them.

23 Bethany August 18, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Loved the link to the LorFlor Project. And the flowers were marvelous.