Knitted Bean Bags

July 20, 2011

These knitted beanbags by Zilalila look good to me. We’ve never tried beanbags at our house, but the idea of a cozy reading spot with an oversize cushion and a low table always sounds appealing.

Via Handmade Charlotte.

1 wordplayhouse™ July 20, 2011 at 6:11 am

A lot of reading goes on in our house. Our oldest daughter has asked for a bean bag chair, but until seeing the one above I never thought they would fit into our decor (i.e. I thought they were typically pretty UGLY)…but these knitted ones are LOVELY!

2 Design Mom July 20, 2011 at 7:08 am

I thought the same thing! Traditional beanbags aren’t my style.

3 madilla July 20, 2011 at 6:19 am

They look adorable! Good thing they choose a really sturdy wool!

4 Design Mom July 20, 2011 at 7:08 am

I love the story behind the company. It seems very well intentioned.

5 peggy July 20, 2011 at 6:42 am

these look great! i like the idea of beanbags but never saw one I would actually buy and put in my house… I mean they are big so I want pretty :)
and these are…..very nice!
thanks for sharing… and another good thing: there is a shop in Amsterdam selling them!

6 Design Mom July 20, 2011 at 7:09 am

How fun, Peggy! I would love to see one in person.

7 Barefeet InTheKitchen July 20, 2011 at 7:30 am

These look fabulous!! My kids (and I!) would adore them.

8 natasha July 20, 2011 at 7:35 am

I am in love with these. How can I order them without having to travel to the Netherlands!!! Sad ;-(

9 Barchbo July 20, 2011 at 7:46 am

I have kids in my office all day long, and as I type this I am looking at a large, orange vinyl beanbag. It’s a huge hit. It is also incredibly ugly, and not so ugly that it’s pretty – it’s just ugly! I always had them in my classroom, too. Kids feel so comfortable in them, and relaxed kids make my professional life easier!

My sister some from PB teen, I think. I can’t wait to buy one for my son one day! I guess 15 years of working with kids has inured me to their ugliness!

10 Design Mom July 21, 2011 at 3:01 am

What is it about kids and beanbags?

11 Wind and Willow Home July 20, 2011 at 9:50 am

One of my favorite Christmas presents was a beanbag when I was 8 years old. I am so excited to see these are so stylish, otherwise my daughter may have never known my joy. I think this will be in her future.

12 Ren Lady Of The Arts July 20, 2011 at 10:19 am

I have these bookmarked- I’ve wanted one forever!

13 leslie July 20, 2011 at 11:15 am

LOVE these! Thanks for sharing, Gabrielle!

14 Misty July 20, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I love these beanbags! Sophisticated casual! I could see them in a beach house, a white-washed attic room, a neon-accented playroom…and the list goes on. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully they will be available in the US and Canada soon.

15 Pamela July 20, 2011 at 1:09 pm

These beanbags are gorgeous and they look so luxuriously soft! I just checked out the Sukha website where they’re sold. Whoa! They’re 625 Euros… but given how they’re handmade, it would be an investment worth making if one could afford it. I’ll keep dreaming for the time being…and possibly start learning how to knit.

16 Design Mom July 21, 2011 at 3:03 am

Yes, definitely an investment piece. I wonder if someone on etsy could come up with knitting instructions and sell the pattern for these.

17 Linnea July 20, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Love these! So sad I can’t get them online Hubby has been wanting a more traditional bean bag chair, but I definitely prefer the look and sustainability of the Zilalila ones!

18 Linnea July 20, 2011 at 1:16 pm

oh, nevermind – I just saw Pamela’s post. Yay! A big gift to save up for…

19 r8chel July 20, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I love the shape of these beanbags. They’re like those popsicles I used to enjoy as a kid on summer evenings. :)

20 Design Mom July 21, 2011 at 3:04 am

I was thinking the same thing! If you live by a Whole Foods, they sell those triangular popsicles (at least they did in Denver).

21 Maren July 20, 2011 at 6:46 pm

that is the neatest beanbag ever!! It could be a nice addition to any room!!

22 Zsa Zsa July 21, 2011 at 7:09 am

Oh cool! I’ve never seen knitted bean bags before. They look so comfy!

23 elizabeth@doievenlikethis July 21, 2011 at 9:29 am

These are so inviting. All I would add is a good book and a cup of tea. Just lovely.

24 MamasHeels July 21, 2011 at 10:03 am

I love these! My grandparents had huge beanbag chairs when I was small and they were our favorite chairs and our favorite things to play with. I love that these are upgraded from the sticky vinyl to a cozy knit.

25 Lindsay - Oh La La Mum July 22, 2011 at 2:05 am

These are beautiful, and look extraordinarily comfy! And, cheers to a handsome product produced by artisans using fair trade practices.

26 Eva / Sycamore Street Press July 24, 2011 at 8:18 pm

So beautiful! I love the idea of beanbags but never loved how they looked until now.

27 Sharhonda Brown February 13, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Where could I get the pattern for these bean bag chairs?