Book of the Week: Seasons

July 26, 2011

Are you familiar with Seasons by Blexbolex? This is pretty new to our book collection, but it became such a favorite so quickly that I included it on the list of Top 50 Picture Books.

Kat P. recommended it to me and I’m so glad she did. The concept is really simple. It’s a thick book with an image and a word on each page. There’s no plot. Just words to discuss, pretty images to look at, and starting points for homemade stories or imaginative play. And there is a lovely rhythm to it as you read it through.

Plus, it’s really beautiful! Blexbolex is clearly a printmaking genius.

1 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag July 26, 2011 at 8:48 am

Beautiful book! I’ve got to check this one out…..

2 Katie July 26, 2011 at 9:02 am

So beautiful! I love how simple the images are.

3 Kate Reymann July 26, 2011 at 9:17 am

I adore this book. Ashley of babymine.net (have you seen her site? ADORABLE) featured it around Easter and I got it for my son for his basket. He wasn’t all that into it at first but happily just re-discovered it a few weeks ago. The pictures are gorgeous.

4 molly July 26, 2011 at 9:24 am

beautiful book! i just picked this one up at the library in the new summer section. i think i enjoyed looking at the illustrations more than my girls did.

5 Kat P July 26, 2011 at 10:47 am

Like I was saying when I recommended it, my daughter clutched it to her chest and refused to return it to the library. Needless to say, we’ve renewed it several times.

6 Caryn July 26, 2011 at 10:59 am

Love, love this book! I picked it up at a library fundraiser for $5 and did not regret it. So beautiful!

7 Kat P July 26, 2011 at 11:20 am

SCORE! $5?????? I haven’t bought it, (just recommended it) because it’s just a little too straining on our tiny budget but you can believe that if I found it for $5 I would have been SO thrilled! For now, the library seems very patient and understanding that we keep taking this book out over and over… heehee

8 Julia July 26, 2011 at 11:20 am

We have this book. I love it so much I tore it apart one day in a burst of inspiration to use the pages (12 across and 4 down) for decoration in our playroom/guestroom because i think it delights adult & child alike. Everyone ooohs & ahhs when they see the room. I then bought a duplicate copy and kept it intact for my daughter to have one day. Blex is brilliant.

9 Eva July 26, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I stumbled upon this at the library a few weeks back and was just smitten. Every page is a true work of art.

*Eva

10 Tracy B. July 26, 2011 at 10:02 pm

The pictures look great! Bright and colorful to keep a kids interest!!

11 caroline July 27, 2011 at 4:02 am

This book is available at the library… in french… ;)

12 Allison {livelovesmall.blogspot.com} July 27, 2011 at 1:19 pm

we have this in our library and love how simple and pretty it is…

13 Michelle July 29, 2011 at 2:46 pm

this came in the mail this week!!! me and my co worker couldn’t stop oohing and ahhing over it.
such a beauty.

14 Stacie Smith July 30, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Yes. Instant love. Our librarians in Englewood are so cool, they keep us hip to all the lovely picture books. We picked it up last fall and had it in our home for 6 weeks.