A Few Things

July 29, 2011

Hello, Friends! We are looking forward to a not-traveling weekend. We’re going to wash the car, help a friend move, and go to a potluck on Saturday night at the home of our Dutch friends. How about you? What sort of summer weekend is headed your way?

While I make my weekend task list, here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share with you:
- Still super happy about the Kirtsy relaunch. Did you see today’s slideshow?
Rooms with light.
- I want to try sun-printing.
- Color-blocking.
- Ideas for your next patriotic party.
- Hanging flowers.
- Good-looking things for good-looking men.

I also write for Babble. Here are this week’s posts:
- Graphic prints — plus the coolest map!
- Warning: you’ll want to own every one of these.
- The cutest kit I’ve seen in awhile.
- This is the perfect excuse for a weekend escape.
- The teepee is my favorite.

I’ll meet you back here on Monday for Ask-Design-Mom-Week. Any questions you need me to answer? Send them in, please. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I miss you already!

kisses,
Gabrielle

1 {plum} July 29, 2011 at 9:48 am

Dear Design Mom –
ooooh, an upcoming Ask-Design-Mom-Week!! It’s like a Friday cliffhanger on your favorite show!! I can’t wait.

Two questions instantly pop to mind:
1. crunchy or creamy peanut butter?
2. red or white wine?

best – d.

post script: don’t forget, stripes never go out of style.

2 Ren Lady of The Arts July 29, 2011 at 9:58 am

We are traveling this weekend- looking forward to it!

3 Heather Johnson July 29, 2011 at 10:30 am

Ask Design Mom…
What is a normal day in your house like? Do your kids do chores, clean, when do you do laundry and household chores. Naps for kids, trips to the grocery store? Where does work fit into all this for you. It would be fun to know things run in the Blair household.

4 Liz July 29, 2011 at 10:38 am

Dear Gabrielle,
I am curious how you manage medicine, while in France? All the American cold, flu, and allergy medicines must have different names. Is it challenging without your goto remedies. Not to mention, prescription medicines such as blood pressure and birth control pills etc. are different in France. Did you bring a year’s supply of American medication with you, or are you embracing French pharmaceuticals? Please explain your strategy.

5 Damaris @Kitchen Corners July 29, 2011 at 10:40 am

I’m so glad you do this every Friday. I was convinced today was Thursday and when I saw this post I was like “wait is it really Friday yet?”

6 Joanna July 29, 2011 at 11:48 am

AHHHHHHHHHHHH! That picture is from my daughters end of the year party at her preschool! It is seriously the best, cutest, creative, fun preschool in Cincinnati, maybe even Ohio. :)

7 Tracy B. July 30, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Oh, I love that picture! I used to work at a preschool and I can just imagine how excited our preschools would have been to play in somelike like that. We just used regular sprinklers for them to run through… now I realize we were very outdated! lol.

8 Heather in Ohio July 31, 2011 at 1:53 am

How fun to know it’s somewhere local! What a cute idea!

9 g. July 29, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Do you have any potty training tips? We’re struggling with this at our house!

10 Heather July 29, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Oh, please (pretty please) answer my question I sent to you over a year ago! I asked how you handle clothing storage for your kids, what to keep, what to toss, when you may/may not be having another child? Remember (lol)???
I have a boy and a girl, and many Rubbermaid totes of clothes (newborn and up). I can’t toss them, yet it feels wasteful to keep. But then, what if I have another baby? Am I crazy? A hoarder? Is there a better solution? I am sure that Design Mom knows!!!
Happy weekend,
Heather

11 ann-marie July 29, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Oh I echo two of the questions above. What is a day like in your house — how do you handle the chores, homework, …the choas that errupts once the kids are home from school until bedtime? And also the clothes storage one is a great question. I too have bins and bins of clothes (and bought two more bins today, infact).

Thank you!

12 Brandi July 29, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I am heading back to work this Fall and my two year old will have his first experience with full time “school.” Any tips on how to ease this transition for him other than lots and lots of books about school? Thanks!

13 Genevieve July 29, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Great Friday post! Thank you!
What age do you feel it is appropriate to start reading Harry Potter to kids?

14 Karena July 29, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Gabrielle so happy to find out about you!! Wonderful image and weekend plans! It is open studio, and relax a bit w a good movie!

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

15 wordplayhouse™ July 29, 2011 at 4:09 pm

As a designer and a mother, would you say many of your household purchasing decisions, even for basic necessities (children’s socks, toaster, blender, sippy cups) are often chosen for their beauty of design? Or are you purely practical and just have your husband pick up what’s needed or grab the first thing you see? Sometimes design sense is so much a part of one that it becomes part of one’s choices that others don’t even think about.
Thanks!

16 bettijo @ PagingSupermom.com July 29, 2011 at 4:28 pm

That tricycle carwash looks so fun and refreshing. We should build one of those to cool off our kiddos!

17 Becca July 29, 2011 at 5:02 pm

We built a bike wash very similar to the one in the image and it is the HIT of the neighborhood. I probably turn it on three times a week!

18 The Woman Formerly Known as Beautiful July 30, 2011 at 1:52 am

Hello Gabrielle — I envision you in France having baguette with creme fraiche while I am at my brother’s home in Halualoa on the Big Island of Hawaii. This certainly does mean aquamarine seas and pooka shells, but we’ve also come very close to be gored by a bull with (apparently) testes the size of my head and the odd raging wild boar. Apparently this is what happens when you go native.

19 Stacie Smith July 30, 2011 at 9:56 am

I once dreamed of making a cyanotype quilt for Apryl and Colby’s wedding present. Seeing as I only knew how to do the cyanotype part and not the sewing part, it never happened. Also, making the fabric was a bit difficult… there were lots of inconsistencies. I just might buy some fabric from Blue Sunprint. So cool.

20 megan July 30, 2011 at 11:15 am

Its the week before school starts and I’m new to the school luch thing with my kids (ages 10,8,6) a lunch packing 101 would be fantastic!!!

21 megan July 30, 2011 at 11:18 am

School seems to be the theme of questioning so far!

22 edustory July 30, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Absolutely LOVE the new Kirtsy!!! This is something that I will be lookin at everyday for inspiration! Yey!

23 Lucia July 30, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I would love to know the practicalities of getting dinner ready at the Blair household. We have a new baby in the house and getting dinner on the table at a reasonable hour is a challenge. When there was just one kid, husband and I could have dinner late, but that won’t work now that we have a 4-year old. And, I don’t know what I will do when I go back to work (arriving home at 6 PM) and husband works evenings! Thanks for any advice!

24 leslie w. July 30, 2011 at 8:04 pm

that kirtsy slideshow really got me into a zen place. ohhhh. i am so relaxed right now. i’m ready to bathe, nap and knit. (reality with little children is a bit different, but dreaming about it is almost as good…)

25 Emily Musso July 30, 2011 at 9:56 pm

maybe you don’t want to get this personal, but you’ve shared a bit before so I’m going to go ahead and hit you up for some advice–I’ve just finished nursing my 4th child and have absolutely no boobs left. Really, none. When I put on a size A the cups just cave in a bit on there own. Yes, it is embarrassing a little but it is what it is. Half the time I go without a bra at all but that can lead to some awkward moments. Anyway, any suggestions for a bra that will give a little something without looking fake (or concave)?

26 Stacey H July 30, 2011 at 10:25 pm

OK, posting that pic made feel a little bit cooler today. :)

27 Heather in Ohio July 31, 2011 at 1:54 am

Love the elegant sun prints… have been doing that for years with my kidlets, but *never* even thought of making one myself!

28 kalanicut August 1, 2011 at 2:59 am

Gabby, thanks for sharing the link on the sunprints. I have a small kit I bought at a museum to do with The Little Bug, but I love the link for buying fabric. That looks like a lot of fun to play with!