50 Ideas Under $50

July 12, 2011

Did I tell you Laura Mayes and family are at La Cressonnière for a visit? It’s so great to have them here!

They came bearing gifts — bags and bags of American candy, plus a stack of magazines. Heavenly! It was especially fun to open the July issue of Better Homes & Gardens and see the 50 Ideas Under $50 article. I’m one of several bloggers who contributed to the article (months and months ago!) and it was fun to finally see it in print.

I know magazines are disappearing before our eyes, but I sure love reading them. What are your favorite real-live-hold-them-in-your-hand magazines these days?

P.S. — I’m almost done with the list of 50 books. It’s hard to narrow it down! Watch for the post later today.

1 Kari July 12, 2011 at 6:34 am

I so love a real live hold-in-your-hand magazine. I can’t seem to make it through the grocery checkout line without picking up a magazine or two (books and magazines are my weaknesses;o) A few of my favorites are Real Simple, Lucky, InStyle, and Country Living.

2 Ana July 12, 2011 at 6:42 am

I love getting magazines in the mail here, it feels like a trip to the mother-land.

3 Victoria July 12, 2011 at 6:56 am

When I’m in the UK, I always pick up Living etc, Vogue, Red, and Traveller. When in the US, its Real Simple, and Better Homes. Still miss Cookie and Domino.

4 Sandra Gonzales July 12, 2011 at 7:00 am

I love the smell of new magazines- you can’t get that from a website.

Not yet.

5 K July 12, 2011 at 7:26 am

I stopped getting magazines because I have no time to read them. when I was getting them, I was using Maghound which is kind of like Netflix for magazines.

We get People and Better Homes & Gardens at work and I love to browse both during my lunch hour. I always thought BH&G was for a more “mature” audience but I love the design ideas inside and lots of the recipes too.

6 Sharlene July 12, 2011 at 7:29 am

I’m reading a book on my Kindle right now and it’s nice, but nothing beats holding the real thing—the actual book. Same goes for magazines. I hope they never leave us. Some of my favorites: Real Simple, Ensign, Better Homes, and Martha.

7 Connie July 12, 2011 at 7:33 am

I once was given a Paste magazine subscription as a gift, and I LOVED it-it made me feel totally indie, but after the year, I couldn’t keep it going-it’s quite expensive (But you get an entire cd of music with each issue, so if you’ve got the cash, it rocks.).
But I let myself have a Better Homes and Gardens subscription, and my husband and I will occasionally buy a Food and Wine or Chicago Magazine off the rack at the grocery store just to pepper something else in there.
I’m with you. I love magazines.

8 Dee July 12, 2011 at 7:43 am

I’m glad you got a copy! I like BH&G a lot now but Country Living is my fav. I also get Martha Stewart Living but don’t feel much inspired by it (I’ll probably get struck by lightning for saying so).

9 r8chel July 12, 2011 at 7:44 am

My favorite magazines are Real Simple, Martha Stewart Living, and Cooks Illustrated (which I will readily acknowledge is not for everyone!).

10 r8chel July 12, 2011 at 7:45 am

P.S. I recently bought a super-cheap subscription to Better Homes and Gardens, and enjoyed seeing your name on its pages while I sweated it out on my exercise bike. :)

11 beachmom July 12, 2011 at 7:53 am

i watched house hunters last night and was blown away by the house and by how calm you and your husband seem! i only have 2 kids and was usually overwhelmed with what little travel we did with them! now they are 21 and 22 so no chance to do something as amazing as going to live abroad with them – i applaud your lifestyle and will continue to read your blog to keep up with the fabulous activities of the blair fam…

12 Christy July 12, 2011 at 7:55 am

love Better Homes and Gardens and Country Living, I read them front to back and then back to front and then take out the pages i love ;) its my little obsesion lol

13 Haydee July 12, 2011 at 8:05 am

How fun! Can’t wait to read it. My favorite magazines are House Beautiful, Harper’s, W, Vanity Fair, Sunset. I subscribe to all of them. I suppose I’m single-handedly trying to keep print in business:)

14 Jan @ Family Bites July 12, 2011 at 8:17 am

I love, love, love printed magazines, and I haven’t stopped buying them. I subscribe to National Geographic, Martha Stewart Living and Everyday Food, Cooking Light, Seeing the Everyday and I often buy Real Simple, Country Living and a few Canadian publications. My kids love magazines too and keep collections of a few favourites.

15 Linnea July 12, 2011 at 8:23 am

I love my magazines!! Right now, I’m getting Country Living – the one regular “splurge” on my shoe-string married-grad-student budget. I love poring over the pictures and choosing features of our someday house. I have a binder to collect the looks I love! How exciting to see your own contributions in BH&G…I’ll have to go pick up the issue!

16 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag July 12, 2011 at 8:30 am

I have great great love for magazines — I just recently wrote about my passion for all things magaziney!! My all time favs were Victoria, Domino and Cookie. I’ll for sure check out that Better Home & Gardens to check out that article! (The Everyday Food summer issue is fab, by the way!)

17 Sonja July 12, 2011 at 8:40 am

Better Homes and Gardens is my favorite magazine, I look forward to it every month! I was so excited to see your tips – somehow it made me feel important, “knowing” someone who had contributed to it!

18 Cecilia July 12, 2011 at 8:46 am

House Beautiful, EW, Nat’l Geo, Country Living, Newsweek, InStyle, Vanity Fair… I love magazines!!!!!!!!!!!

19 Rebecca - A Daily Something July 12, 2011 at 9:17 am

I don’t think I’ll ever stop loving magazines. The feel flipping of the pages, tearing out my favorite inspirations, earmarking others, etc. I think my all-time fave is Martha Stewart Living…

20 Katie July 12, 2011 at 9:25 am

I love magazines. And I love different kinds of magazines. In our house, we have National Geographic, Dwell, Canadian House and Home, and Outside magazine. We also get the Sky Mall catalogue which is a fan favourite. Almost every guest picks it up and laughs and laughs for way longer than they would normally pick through a magazine.

21 Giulia July 12, 2011 at 9:52 am

I love magazines and my top three each month are Canadian House and Home, Real Simple and Martha Stewart Living…

22 MorticiA July 12, 2011 at 9:56 am

Country Living UK is my favourite :) I love the pictures, recipes, and the focus on eco-responsibility, local produce, and sustainability. We receive them from family members, read them, and pass them on to friends, so the magazines get a lot of mileage!

23 Gemma July 12, 2011 at 10:06 am

I absolutely love Martha, Real Simple and Cook Illustrated. When I need my butt kicked into motion I also love Shape magazine. I can’t imagine a world without magazines. I love them.

24 annie July 12, 2011 at 10:19 am

I continue to be a huge Domino fan even though it is gone. I can’t live without Real Simple and Wired magazines. I love National Geographic, the Economist, Martha Stewart Living and our Cincinnati magazine. I can be kind of a magazine junkie ;)

25 andrea July 12, 2011 at 10:27 am

for the past year, I’ve been totally in love with BHG’s quarterly magazine called Do It Yourself. It’s full of inspiration. If only I didn’t have to wait so long before the next one arrives

26 Andrea@FancyThat! July 12, 2011 at 10:41 am

Definitely Real Simple. Great spaces, great food, great styling.

27 Lauren July 12, 2011 at 10:49 am

I love BHG and Southern Living. I was excited to see that you were in the latest issue of BHG! When I saw your name, I had this moment of, “wait a minute, I know who that is!!” :)
The time lapse for magazines is pretty funny though- I just had a few products featured in Simply Handmade magazine in July, but I mailed them off in January so I had literally almost forgotten about the whole thing by the time the magazine showed up.

28 Dulce July 12, 2011 at 11:05 am

I’m new to your site, but already in love with it!!
My guilty pleasure magazine is REal Simple, i absolutely love the editor’s story in every issue and the way the magazine is organized all together.

29 {plum} July 12, 2011 at 11:09 am

I’m a magazine junkie!!!

W, House Beautiful, Vanity Fair, Marth Stewart, Real Simple, Parenting

Oh how I miss Domino and Cookie.

I just spent the weekend kids splashing in the pool, lounging on a chaise, flipping through August with a stack of tears by my side. Heaven!!

30 Denise Laborde July 12, 2011 at 11:28 am

Magazines and dryer sheets are the two things I request when someone comes visit from the states. First choice mag? Vanity Fair by a land slide ;-)
Bises,
D

31 Marlena July 12, 2011 at 11:41 am

We adore magazines and subscribe to a number, including Dwell, Martha Stewart, O (my favorite), Saveur, Anthology (love this one), Clean Eating and National Geographic. I am so sad to see that ReadyMade folded, since I’ve been a long-time subscriber. I also really miss Cookie.

32 sue July 12, 2011 at 12:49 pm

book/magazine holding fatigue will never diminish my love for page flipping and glossy picture gazing. =) my current (and some long running) favorite magazines are Everyday Food, Vogue, Vanity Fair, and Atlanta Homes (awesome local publication!).

33 Zoe - SlowMama July 12, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I love magazines and always will. I significantly cut down over the past two years, but I cherish curling up on a Sunday afternoon and reading some of my favorites — there’s always a stack by my bed.

I love Saveur, Afar, Dwell, Cooks Illustrated, Good, Real Simple, Wired, and the Economist. I also like O, and whole bunch of other lifestyle magazines.

I still miss Domino… and I see I’m not the only one.

34 steph t. July 12, 2011 at 2:36 pm

my favs… canadian house and home and coastal living.
love, love, love those design mags!
and i agree… something about a fresh magazine, in your hands.
heaven!

i also miss cookie.
it was pricey (at least in canada it was) but such fun stuff (even though a lot of it was out of my price range too).
ha ha!
but i love to glean ideas from those mags.

35 Joy July 12, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I love Real Simple, Martha Stewart and a cooking magazine that I can’t remember the name of.

36 NOTyourrunofthemill July 12, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I going to go with the Canadian House and Home as well as Style at Home for decor. I enjoy The Food Network magazine as well.

37 Porsche July 12, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Shape and Fitness. It always makes me feel like I can be healthy and fit when i read these magazines.

38 Genevieve July 12, 2011 at 6:44 pm

I, like most of the other ladies, am a magazine JUNKIE! I used to go to the library in junior high and highschool to read the newspaper format of W before it became a mag. I haven’t read it in years, but loved how inside the fashion world it was back then. I love DWELL, which has set the expectations of my next house way too high. I also love the Economist, Runner’s World, Lucky, and Elle Decor. I used to love Elle and Vogue, but they comment or write whole articles on politics when they don’t know what they are talking about. They need to stick to fashion! Anyway, thanks for your post…always ready to talk magazines! P.S. Wish Cookie would come back!

39 Ann July 12, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I like Dwell, US (guilty), National Geographic, and Organic Gardening. Obscure list! There are lots of others but that’s what’s on my ottoman right now as I glance over. I love your Anniversary idea. That is so nice!

40 Grace July 12, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Ikea!!! And Time Magazine, I’ve had a subscription since I was 13.

41 Jules July 12, 2011 at 9:33 pm

My favorite is O Magazine. I like how the magazine’s mission is to make us beautiful inside and out.

42 Monique July 12, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I love House Beautiful, Traditional Home, Elle Decor and Martha Stewart Living! I love the arrival of my magazines, just wish I had more time to browse through them!

43 Sally Cage July 13, 2011 at 4:47 am

I love mags!

I live in Australia and my favourite mags are Australian Country Style, and Peppermint (disclaimer – I work for Peppermint magazine!).

Peppermint is an eco/green/sustainable fashion & design mag – check it out ladies! Such a nice read :)

xoxo

44 Maren July 13, 2011 at 6:40 am

LOVE bhg!! and I loved reading your tips :) I also love fitness mags like self, runners world, shape, women’s health, etc., and I love Real Simple!

45 Pam July 13, 2011 at 10:21 am

Victoria and Martha Stewart Living. I can’t believe noone else has listed Victoria magazine!

46 Reyna July 14, 2011 at 7:28 am

Real Simple and Bon Appetit! I love waiting in doctor’s offices so I can peruse all the magazines I don’t have at home!

47 Sara July 14, 2011 at 3:24 pm

My husband got me a free subscription to BH & G a couple of years ago. At the time, I thought wasn’t going to like it very much because I thought it was kindof “old lady-ish.” Well, either I’m way older than I think I am, they’ve gotten way more current, or I was just wrong because I love it!! It’s easy to read and fun. Not at home right now so haven’t seen the whole issue, but I did read that article through my facebook feed and loved seeing yours and Jenny’s (of LGN) tips!!

I also miss Domino, and I come and go with MSLiving. Mainly I feel guilty now if I read Martha b/c she is so much more thorough than I have time to be at this point in my life ;)! Funnily enough, Real Simple, while admittedly a good magazine and very visually appealing, also makes me feel guilty somehow for not being a more perfect-on-top-of-everything-type person, so I don’t get it anymore.

My newest favorite is Anthology. Love, love it. It’s so beautiful, though, (and pricey) that I feel it is more like a small book than a magazine in some ways.

I really do love on the online magazines now, though, too. Just wish I had an ipad so I could read them in my traditional-laying-back-comfy-cozy-magazine-reading position on the couch or in bed, rather than at my desk.

48 marcie jones July 16, 2011 at 8:28 pm

i <3 HOW and comm arts. i always finish creativly recharged.

49 Becky July 19, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I ADORE real live magazines too. They are my one vice. (well, not my only vice). My faves are House Beautiful, Traditional Home, M.S. Living, Everyday Food, Better Homes and Gardens, also because I teach high school ceramics: Pottery Making Illustrated and Ceramics Monthly. I scour the pages for any little idea that I like (home decor related or recipe). I keep each one around for a couple months and then I go back through them and tear out the pages I was drawn to most and keep them in a folder. Then they are off to the recycle bin.

50 Jamie B July 19, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I really really love printed magazines. It’s just such a specific experience. I like to take mine out on the porch with a cup of tea (iced when it’s hot) and really enjoy some time to myself. My favorite has been Real Simple for a while now. I used to dislike BHG (my grandmother and mom liked it when I was a kid and it got this “old lady” association in my head), but my hubby got me a subscription (trying to be nice lol) and I actually really like it! I have tried Martha Stewart magazines several times and am always underwhelmed by them. I haven’t tried very many others, though… :(

51 Jessica July 21, 2011 at 12:23 am

Hello! I love your site!!! I should be moving to France by the end of the year from Florida! I was wondering is there anything you wished you packed from home that you miss even if its the smallest thing? What is a couple of food items you wish you had over there? or just any advice !!! Thank you so much for your time !!!