Tiny Houses

June 21, 2011

Happy First Day of Summer! I can hardly wrap my head around the idea that summer is really here because my kids still have another week of school (that seems so crazy!). How about you? Are you already in full summer vacation mode?

Something about summer makes me daydream of building a tiny getaway. I think it would feel like having a backyard fort for grownups. : )

P.S. – You can find some of my favorite tiny houses here. And here’s a whole blog dedicated to tiny houses.

1 alexis June 21, 2011 at 7:23 am

thanks for the tiny houses! I would love a miniature retreat.

2 Elizabeth June 21, 2011 at 8:20 am

I’ve posted before about tiny houses — I, too, adore them! Thanks for the great sites –

3 Kathy June 21, 2011 at 9:34 am

My husband and I are our kids are fascinated with these tiny homes. My husband is an architect and I hope someday to build one of these for our home (when we retire).

4 Design Mom June 21, 2011 at 11:55 am

Tiny houses are a recurring fascination for me. I think I post about them at least once a year. : )

5 Rosa @ Flutter Flutter June 21, 2011 at 10:19 am

I’m always intrigued about how to do more with less. I’m off to see a 220 sq.ft L41 Ultra Compact Home tonight at the preview of the Interior Design Show West! I don’t know if I’ll even fit in a house that big!?

6 Carina June 21, 2011 at 11:00 am

Adorable! They remind me of an uncle who used to amuse us with stories of tiny houses and the people who lived in them. We couldn’t get enough of those stories.

7 Kathy Ayers June 21, 2011 at 11:10 am

I have always wanted to build something like this……it is adorable, would make the yard look so inviting, and be perfect for a gardening shed later when no kids are around….well, that’s what grandbabies are for! Also did you see Pioneer Womans post on macarons? I thought of you! I had never seen cookies like that until you had your party post!

8 Design Mom June 21, 2011 at 11:56 am

I agree! They would make any yard look inviting.

9 Ashlea Walter June 21, 2011 at 11:24 am

Happy summer to you – officially a few minutes ago (1:16 p.m. EST), although it’s raining here. Hmmpphh. I was inspired to make my own summer list to get us out of a rainy funk on the solstice: http://besquirrely.com/2011/06/21/the-summer-list/

10 Steph June 21, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I live in a tiny house! Okay, maybe not as tiny as the photos I saw, but we manage 650 sqft with a 3 person family and LOVE it. I’m obsessed with interiors of tiny houses. How do people save space? Use a space for multiple purposes? Cram all their stuff in there?
Also, I adore your blog. Has been soulfood for me.

11 mackenzie June 21, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I totally want one of these for our roof in the city. I’ve been dreaming about a glass greenhouse- that’s all windows, and would sit a-top my apartment like a little green oasis. I would fill it with all my craft things- so my husband wont complain- and would escape up there with the dogs whenever I felt.
Clearly I’ve thought through this fantasy pretty throughly.
xoxo!

12 Martini Mom June 21, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Me too! I’m not sure I could do it with the kiddos, but someday I’d like to live in a tiny house. I find them – and the accompanying lifestyle shift – fascinating. I’ve written a few posts on tiny houses myself, and have even started a tiny houses bulletin board on Pinterest. I’ll be adding the photo from this post. :)

13 Tanya June 21, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I love it! I love trying to figure out how to make a small space functional. Too cute!

14 Rebekah June 21, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Oh, I’m obsessed too. I fully plan to have one of these when I’m older. Extreme downsizing! And a Mini Cooper to go with it. :)

15 Kristen E June 21, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I was just looking at tiny houses online yesterday. :) My husband (a total pack rat) is horrified by the idea of living in one, but I think when we have our farm it would be great to have one as a studio/retreat or guest house! If I weren’t married, I would live in one in a heartbeat!

16 CMN June 21, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Hmmm… tiny houses… How about tiny hotel rooms? I stayed in the Awesomest little hotel room in Tokyo over the weekend. I was amazed at how well designed and thought out it was — bursting with amenities in, maybe 50 sq feet of space. I kept noticing additional quirks and space savers. Mysterious buttons and knobs. LOL! Yes, totally awesome.

I think these little spaces inspire us to streamline and de-junk in our ‘real’ lives. And they challenge us with the “what if”… What if I really lived in this space? I was imagining adding bookshelves lining the walls of my hotel room… but somehow, a closet bigger than the 18 inches they had provided wasn’t on my design list. I guess I must be able to survive with that one. :)

17 sara June 21, 2011 at 10:00 pm

I’m sort of obsessed with tiny houses. I think its because I’m always looking for 1)less housework and 2)a little space to carve out JUST for me…and these fit the bill perfectly!

18 Rodolfo June 22, 2011 at 2:36 am

That’s cute! We have a small house here in the Philippines and we
call it “Bahay kubo” because it is small. You can place it in the roof
top of your house if you have. That’s the best place for it for
relaxation. Or in the garden..