Shadow Puppets

June 29, 2011

image by Plum

It occurred to me that I need a better stock of rainy day activities so I’ve been keeping my eyes peeled for something we haven’t tried before. What do you think of shadow puppets? I saw this set of 9 on Plum and think they’re so cute! You can find your own set here (also dinosaurs).

What are the latest rainy day activities at your house?

1 Anne June 29, 2011 at 7:59 am

Here in central Texas, we haven’t gotten many rainy days, but we don’t do much outside if it’s over 100 degrees. On those days I think the Wii might be the greatest invention ever. Indoor exercise that doesn’t destroy the house!! My kids love bowling and the game on the wii fit that lets them pretend to be bicycling.
I promise I am not affiliated with Nintendo.

2 Design Mom June 29, 2011 at 8:56 am

We miss our Wii!

3 se7en June 29, 2011 at 8:21 am

Totally fun!!! We are in the middle of a puppet frenzy over here … my kids are making puppets constantly… life has stopped for puppets!!! Definite rainy day stuff!!! My kids and I are working on a winter list of fun things to do… our winters in Cape Town are cold and wet – no snow, just rain with a spattering of glorious sunny days. Anyway our winter list gets updated every week and you can take a look here: http://www.se7en.org.za/se7ens-winter-list

4 Design Mom June 29, 2011 at 8:56 am

Thanks for the link to your list. So helpful!

5 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag June 29, 2011 at 9:19 am

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness! These are breathtaking!

6 denese June 29, 2011 at 9:48 am

what a treat to see my bedtime, rainy time, any time adventure puppets featured on your site. I’ve added ‘puppet house’ to my crafty to do list and hope to have it complete in time for an October party – Miss Pippy 4.

Here’s to every childhood being alive with imagination!

best – d.
post script: don’t forget, shoulders back.

7 Andrea June 29, 2011 at 10:34 am

We’re book nuts around here, so our rainy days are pretty much spent in books.

8 Michelle C. June 29, 2011 at 11:19 am

We’re in Arizona – I can relate to the idea of “winter” hibernation when the temperatures go over 110 degrees here. When we have excessive heat warnings, we hunker down with the indoor activities. The indoor jumping castle we bought works well to burn off energy. We set it up in the living room as needed.

Also, we converted our tile fireplace into a chalboard for the summer – took off the handles, and cut a MDF board to perfectly fit over it and painted with chalkboard paint. Obviously, the fireplace will not be needed for quite a while.

“Heat” is our rainy day.

9 rebecca June 29, 2011 at 11:38 am

Wow, these are GREAT! Need to make them for my nephews!!

10 Jessica {from Petite Lemon} June 29, 2011 at 2:27 pm

those precious. what a beautiful work of art … and fun for a rainy day!

11 kimberly June 29, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I’ve been trying to hunt down some paper shadow puppets for months, now, or at least templates and stories to make our own. I’m so glad for this link, and my little boys will be delighted.

12 jen June 29, 2011 at 2:44 pm

today it rained for the first time in a long time – besides the rest of the country we have been sunny and 28-35 for a while now – and i had to think up something on the fly. we made masks!! so fun and will post about them when they dry. also made some brownies with the older girls and they were such good helpers! and i’m helping by eating them! hahaha.

13 This girl loves to Talk June 29, 2011 at 3:38 pm

my girls draw and make their own. Shadow puppets are extremely easy to make, add a sheet and a lamp and voila.

14 jen June 29, 2011 at 8:31 pm

We are revelling in the fact that our children are old enough to play fun games (I mean something besides Chutes and Ladders and Candy Land). We play Dutch Blitz and Rummicube and Uno and Quirkle and more . . . SO much fun to have older kids! The youngest (5) either joins in to the best of his abilities, partners up with someone, or just plays something of his own choose at the table with us.

15 bdaiss June 29, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Ooo! I love shadow puppets! I’m currently working on my stash of “it’s too dang hot to leave the house” ideas. Yup, summer has arrived. : )

16 Kristen E June 30, 2011 at 9:06 am

My little nephews are VERY active, so it’s hard to keep them indoors on rainy days. I have a few artsy projects and a few science projects that I’ll whip out if it rains, or maybe we’ll go to the movies, but they get antsy when they’re cooped up inside. The end up going down to the basement and jumping and running and building forts out of couch cushions.

17 andrea June 30, 2011 at 9:28 pm

shadow puppets really are a great rainy day activities. for two little boys in my life this year, i gave them shadow puppet theatres for their birthdays. it was a big hit. here’s a little more about why and how: http://www.ourlittlegems.com/2011/04/shadow-puppet-theatre/