Minga Berlin Socks

June 27, 2011

Are you a barefoot girl or a sock girl? One of my pet peeves is the feel of crumbs or bits of dirt on the bottom of my feet, so even when I’m padding around the house, I pretty much always have something on feet — socks, slippers or flipflops. These colorful socks by Minga Berlin made me look.

Question: At what age are over-the-knee socks taboo?

1 norah June 27, 2011 at 4:20 am

I also cannot stand crumbs on the soles of my feet. I don’t remember the last time I entered my kitchen barefoot….love the socks!

2 Design Mom June 27, 2011 at 7:45 am

Same! I should do a post on pet peeves. It’s always interesting to me to find out what bugs people.

3 Ana June 27, 2011 at 4:27 am

I love them and the photos are very fun.

4 Kelsey Gerhard June 27, 2011 at 5:13 am

love the thigh highs! at a certain age they are taboo??? i am sure i don’t know what you are talking about :) :)

5 Kirsteen June 27, 2011 at 6:27 am

Ha ha I’m with you on the crumbs/dirt on the bottom of your feet…so annoying! Cosy socks for me :)

6 ajbc June 27, 2011 at 6:55 am

I don’t think over-the-knee socks are ever taboo, but at a certain age (probably different for each person) the skirts and shorts that would show them off the best are not as acceptable. Love the colors!

7 Design Mom June 27, 2011 at 7:45 am

Good point. Maybe it’s the mini-skirts, not the socks. : )

8 Naomi June 27, 2011 at 8:45 am

taboo?! well, i’d have to say at the age of… never. these are too cute!

9 Libby June 27, 2011 at 8:51 am

I’m in the minority so far..I despise socks and wear them as infrequently as possible. They are so constricting, and my toes are wiggling just thinking about the thought of having to wear socks. Shudder. If I do wear socks they have to be cotton. Those are cute though!

10 sarah June 27, 2011 at 9:04 am

hate the crumbs on the floor, but hate socks too….so this leads for lots of stopping to pick up crumbs and also for our house to be a shoe free zone with every shoe coming off on the front rug–no exceptions.

11 Kristen E June 27, 2011 at 10:09 am

Oh man, I HATE when I get stuff on my feet! I wear slippers or socks all the time too, even in summer, and we don’t have air conditioning here, so it gets a little toasty! There is no age at which over-the-knee socks are inappropriate, but the micro-minis you wear to show them off are definitely not quite right after a certain age. I don’t know what age that is (I’m 30 and have never worn miniskirts because I hate my legs) but wear those adorable socks with a knee-length flowy skirt and you’ll look super-cute no matter what your age is! :)

12 Corrin June 27, 2011 at 10:16 am

I’m usually a barefoot girl (I inherited my mother’s propensity for manically sweeping floors) but I love a good pair of funky socks. Knee-high are my favorite under jeans in the winter. So cozy.

13 Janelle June 27, 2011 at 10:19 am

I agree with poster – Libby. No socks here unless wearing sneakers for a walk/hike or some sort of winter shoe. The condition of my poor feet (oh no she whispers, it’s time for another pedicure) can attest to my perpetual “bare-foot-ness”. I get a bit claustrophobic thinking of socks except in the most extreme cold. Although, the fun of these might make me long, briefly, for some cold weather here in the desert.

14 oriana June 27, 2011 at 10:26 am

soooo adorable.
the pictures are amazing too!

15 morticia June 27, 2011 at 10:50 am

Socks :) And shoes, actually. I need the ankle support. I also have perpetually cold extremities, so I even wear socks to bed in the summer. I love jazzing up a boring outfit with some peppy socks (unless business attire is required). If you’re going to wear them, might as well look fantastic!

16 Sasha June 27, 2011 at 11:59 am

These are brilliant! I’m 6 feet tall, so I am constantly battling The Penguin Affect with regular tights/nylons. The thigh high socks in plain colours would solve a HUGE pet peeve of mine! Under a knee length skirt, no one would know they were socks!

17 Ann June 27, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I can’t stand the feel of crumbs — or anything for that matter — on my soles so I’m either sporting socks or walking on my tippy-toes which my husbands thinks is funny.

18 Tchouckinette June 27, 2011 at 1:38 pm

These socks are very cool !

If you don’t like being barefoot, you should try didoodam soft shoes I designed … you would love them … And they feel fresh even when the weather is so hot !!!

19 mammamsterdam June 27, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Dunno, my grandma and her sisters wore them untile theyr deathbed, maybe just their colors where a little more sober:-)

20 Kate The Great June 27, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I like both–In the summer, I’m barefoot pretty much all the time, as long as I’m in the city where there’s sidewalks and concrete, carpet and tile.

In the spring and fall, it varies on the weather–I love long socks and have four or five different pairs that all go past my knees. They’re a good layering tactic and they also look cool with church clothes, like a black skirt or a knee-length dress.

My main source for long socks is sockdreams.com. They recently had a re-design on their site and it’s a vast improvement. And it’s local for me, too–they’re based in Portland.

21 Sara June 27, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Love socks and have totally turned into my Grandma with the slippers in the winter :). These are so cute, but I don’t think I could pull them off.

22 Gaby June 27, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Socks or slippers, can’t stand crumbs or anything else on the floor! Besides if I encounter some kind of “creature” I feel more secure with socks than bare feet ;)

23 Jenni Derryberry Mann June 27, 2011 at 7:13 pm

omg sock envy! love these — very cute crumb-picker-uppers!

24 Michele June 27, 2011 at 7:55 pm

these are like grown-up BabyLegs :) thanks for sharing!

25 christina June 27, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I was just thinking the same thing! Such cute designs…
But no socks for me, except with sneakers. I’m a barefoot type of person :)

26 Amanda Z. June 27, 2011 at 9:23 pm

I thought I was the only person who hated stepping on crumbs! I also hate if I walk in the kitchen and step on a drip. I have a pair of flip flops which are for in house only and I put them on as soon as I get home.

I also have a bizarro thing where I get itchy red spots if my feet get too cold. And I must have sensitive toes because I curse like a sailor if I stub one!

27 Alea June 27, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I think it’s funny that everyone is admitting they have crumbly floors! Maybe it’s just a fact of life – because I do too. And I hate walking in them with bare feet. But I hate stepping in water with socks on worse – so I’m usually in socks and slippers or flip flops. I wear out slippers so fast! I just broke out the flip flops the other day – yeah!

28 Trina McNeilly June 28, 2011 at 10:45 am

I used to be bare feet all the way but now with #4 I cannot keep up and the floors never seem clean (no matter how many times I clean them). Crumbs & Sticky are totally grossing me out at the moment. It’s def my new pet peeve.

29 Ana F. June 28, 2011 at 11:04 am

Love the socks! My husband kind of makes fun of me for wearing what he calls “fun socks”. But these ones are perfect for days in San Francisco, when you want to wear a dress without freezing to death!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Ana
My (Newly)Wed Life

30 hilary June 28, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Bare feet all the way. Stepping in dog slobbee in socks is the worst.

31 julie r June 29, 2011 at 8:42 pm

i adore the OTK socks! i have a few pair myself…and i’m almost 29. :)