Maude

June 22, 2011

6/23 UPDATE: Maude is still improving, but her fever is resistant. We’re not sure if she’ll be able to come home tomorrow (Friday), but we’ll know more this afternoon. The good news: She’s in a wonderful mood and her cough is much improved. She has books, boardgames and friendship bracelet supplies. And I just restocked her ipod with a bunch of movies. The kids will get to visit her today after school and she’s so excited! This morning she said, “Man. Our family is so cool! I forget how great they are until I’m away from them.”

Thank you so very much for your sweet words. Maude has been reading every comment (me too!) and they make her happy. Also, I try not to do the guilt thing and didn’t mean to beg for compliments, but your supportive words about my parenting are reassuring all the same. So thank you for that as well!

—————

Mimi has been sick for a week. We finally took her to the doctor this morning and it turns out she has a horrible case of pneumonia. Poor thing! The pneumonia is awful enough that she’s been hospitalized.

The good news: she’s responding well to the antibiotics. The bad news: the infection was so severe that they want to keep her in the hospital until at least Friday. (And yes, of course I’m kicking myself for not getting her to a doctor sooner — it was one of those things where she seemed to be getting better in the morning, but then would get worse in the evening, but then seemed better the next morning… Bad, bad parent.)

I’ll be back as soon as life stabilizes again.

1 Kristydc June 22, 2011 at 7:26 am

I’m sorry. You are not a bad parent, you just have a tough kid.

I’m sure she will be feeling better soon. And you will be too:)

2 Erin June 23, 2011 at 10:21 am

Kristydc is right. Sometimes parenting, when it comes to children and illnesses, is such a guessing game! I’m glad Maude is hangin’ out in the hospital and having fun now, too. I was always jealous of my sister for her hospital stay (broken arm)–all the attention, presents, balloons! Kind of nice to have to sit still and get spoiled!

Get well, Maude!

3 Bri (like the cheese) June 22, 2011 at 7:28 am

Oh, dear!! Get better quickly, Mimi!!
Don’t beat your self up. There are so many illnesses of the ‘wait it out’ variety, it can be really hard to determine if medical intervention is necessary – or even beneficial!

4 Robin June 22, 2011 at 7:39 am

Love and kisses to Maude and you!

5 ElaineD June 22, 2011 at 7:39 am

My prayers that Maude is feeling better soon and is out of the hospital asap! It’s hard to know what to do! Particularly when it seems like they are getting better every morning.

6 Sharmyn June 22, 2011 at 7:41 am

That is just how pneumonia works. It is so hard to tell. You are not a bad parent, pneumonia is just nasty. Prayers for all!

7 Colleen June 22, 2011 at 7:41 am

Your sweet family is in our prayers as you weather this situation. All your readers care big time.

8 Sonja June 22, 2011 at 7:41 am

Thinking about you all – we all do things like that – no kicking yourself allowed.

9 Diane June 22, 2011 at 7:42 am

Don’t beat yourself up! It is so hard to know with kids. The same thing happened to us last February. Our daughter had fevers up to 105+ for over 10 days. It would seem like she was getting better, then after a day the fevers were back. She had pneumonia, too. Antibiotics for the first time in her life and she was a new kid. Luckily no hospitalization. I am sure the French nurses are taking great care of her.

10 McKenzie June 22, 2011 at 7:44 am

I had it in a similar way. They couldn’t figure it out for weeks. Don’t feel bad. It’s quite scary. I hope she recovers quickly.

11 Sandra Gonzales June 22, 2011 at 7:44 am

Oh no. I went through the same thing with my daughter. She had bronchitis and I waited 8 days until I took her to a doctor. The doctor scolded me and until this day I feel the guilt.

I play back the week in my head and I swear I thought she was getting better. Thanks for sharing.

12 Sandra Gonzales June 22, 2011 at 7:45 am

Get well soon little Maude!!

13 robyn June 22, 2011 at 7:46 am

glad to hear she is on the mend, and hope she’s back home soon.
having a sick child is THE WORST.

14 Leanne June 22, 2011 at 7:47 am

Oh, I’m so sorry Maude is sick. I’m sure she’ll be better before you know it. Take care of yourself too.

15 Ann June 22, 2011 at 7:53 am

I hope Maude feels better soon! I always struggle with whether I should take the kids to the doctor or not. On the one hand, I don’t want to be running to the office for every little cold (and risk exposing them to other sickness while I’m there), but I also worry about making little of something more serious. In general, I take more of a wait-and-see approach. Don’t beat yourself up about it!

16 Lotte June 22, 2011 at 7:56 am

Pneumonia is so sneaky! We had the same thing happen with our one year old Tijl a couple weeks back (it was our luck that it was still a mild form). Seemed to be fine, then two days later not so fine, then fine again… well, you know how it works.
Really hope Maude feels better soon, being in the hospital is no fun to begin with, even less so when you’re not in your own country! A heartfelt hug to her for braving it out!
xx

17 Stacey H June 22, 2011 at 7:57 am

You are a GREAT, GREAT parent. Prayers for Maude…

18 Heather June 22, 2011 at 7:59 am

Ugh! My husband had it last month and was in the hospital for 5 nights. It takes awhile to get over. Good luck w/ everything. I hope she feels better soon.

19 whitneyingram June 22, 2011 at 8:01 am

I don’t even know you- but I know kids in the hospital is hell. I hope your Maude heals up quick and you can go home soon. Best of luck and God bless!

20 Brittany June 22, 2011 at 8:06 am

You’re a great parent! She must be a pretty tough girl if she can deal with such a bad case of pneumonia like that, and being a tough girl is a good thing. Keep your head up; she’ll be OK. :)

21 Frumptastic June 22, 2011 at 8:07 am

Poor sweetie! I hope she recovers quickly!

22 Lauren June 22, 2011 at 8:10 am

Oh no! I’ll be praying for a full and speedy recovery! I had pneumonia a few years ago and remember how awful it was!

23 Beth June 22, 2011 at 8:15 am

Poor kid (and mom)! I know she’s in good hands. My father-in-law was hospitalized in France last summer and he received the most amazingly excellent care.

My daughter recently ended up on antibiotics for a skin infection that I virtually ignored for weeks (“Gee, that looks bad. Maybe I should I call the doctor./Hmm…looks better today, won’t bother.” Repeat daily.)

24 Alicia W. June 22, 2011 at 8:16 am

Poor Maude! I hope she feels better soon!

25 Sara June 22, 2011 at 8:16 am

You are not a bad parent; you are amazing. Kids illnesses are so tricky! So sad for Mimi- sending lots of speedy get well wishes to her and hugs to you all! Wish I could send her a special treat and fun activity!

26 courtney June 22, 2011 at 8:17 am

I hope she recovers quickly! Eventually she’ll just have a great, crazy story of living in France as a kid and getting to stay in a French hospital. I’ll send healing thoughts her way.

27 The New Diplomats Wife June 22, 2011 at 8:17 am

Feel better, Maude!

28 Destri June 22, 2011 at 8:20 am

Sending prayers, for you and her :)
I took my son into the doctor for a cough once and they instantly gave him a steroid shot and sent us straight to the hospital, he honestly only had a light cough. I felt horrible but the nurses told me that pneumonia can be like that.
Take care!

29 Alison June 22, 2011 at 8:20 am

I hope she feels better soon! And hugs to you!!

30 Stephanie @ henry happened June 22, 2011 at 8:25 am

Prayers going out for little Maude – and Mom too! It is so hard to see your little ones not feeling well I know.

31 Giulia June 22, 2011 at 8:29 am

Hope she feels better soon, and you too.

32 sarah June 22, 2011 at 8:29 am

get well wishes to mimi….

33 Barb @ getupandplay June 22, 2011 at 8:30 am

Poor Maude! I’ve heard that about pneumonia in little kids, it’s hard to diagnose for that reason. Don’t kick yourself- you’re awesome!

34 Freida June 22, 2011 at 8:30 am

All the best for the next few days in the hospital. You are definitely not a bad parent, it’s just so tricky when it comes to pneumonia and kids (Trust me, I am a pedi). I am sure she will be up and running in no time.
Lots of hugs to Maude
Freida

35 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag June 22, 2011 at 8:32 am

Lots of speedy recovery wishes coming your way!! And I’m calling the pediatrician this morning, Julia has had a stuffy nose and little cough for a couple weeks and seems to be improving but now I’m paranoid so we’re gonna go!!

36 anne June 22, 2011 at 8:33 am

My husband has had pneumonia a few times and it sneaks up on you–we think he’s a little sick, then he feels better and I’m annoyed that he isn’t helping with anything and then BAM! he’s really sick. I also know how stressful and scary it is, and my prayers are with you and your family.

37 Porsche June 22, 2011 at 8:34 am

Oh, that is awful! I will pray for Maude! Tell her it is so she can tell people what French hospitals are like. Is there an address or box number that we could send cards to?
You are not a bad mom. EVERYONE has had this happen to them. They didn’t take the kid/spouse/grandparent in as as soon as a symptom showed up. How often have you taken in a kid only to have the doctor tell you there is nothing you can do about it, just wait it out?
So sorry for this to happen to you guys, Gabby! Lots of hugs!!!

38 Crystal (theweekendhomemaker.com) June 22, 2011 at 8:35 am

Prayers for Maude and for you. We do the best we can with what we know and what we have at any given time. As Bob Marley once said “Every little thing is gonna be alright.”

39 Shannon June 22, 2011 at 8:42 am

Let me add one more voice to the chorus: you’re a wonderful mom and we’ve all had these moments. Maude will be up and running before you know it (and will enjoy all the spoiling that will certainly happen). Blessings to all of you this week!

40 Kelly June 22, 2011 at 8:45 am

Hope Maude is well soon. I had the same type of pneumonia when I was 12. Same thing…seemed like it was getting better after sleeping, then it got worse. I was in the hospital under a vapor tent for a week (old school treatment!) Mom’s can’t have x-ray eyes! Take it easy on yourself.

41 Barefeet InTheKitchen June 22, 2011 at 8:49 am

Poor baby! Praying she is better very soon. Take care of yourself and your family and rest whenever possible. Seems like when one of our babies is sick, we wear ourselves out to the point of illness just taking care of them. You are a great mom. There is no possible way to know exactly what is going on with our kids all of the time.

42 Sara June 22, 2011 at 8:53 am

Don’t beat yourself up… we’ve all done somthing like that. My middle one had spots on her face for about a week before I finally took her in and it turned out to be Imetigo. Who knew?

Hope she’s feeling better and home soon. I can only imagine how frustrating dealing with a French hospital must be.

43 Jes June 22, 2011 at 8:59 am

You’re not a bad parent. It’s hard to tell sometimes. I hope she feels better quickly.

44 AnEmily June 22, 2011 at 9:00 am

That’s so scary. Our kids seem so tiny when they are in a hospital bed! I’m sure she’ll be fine and you’ll be able to relax soon.

45 peggy June 22, 2011 at 9:00 am

sorry to hear and I understand you feel bad. Don’t.
I would do the same I guess, never go to the doctor unless it looks really horrible.
Wishing her all the best and some nice French nurses :)

46 Mary June 22, 2011 at 9:07 am

Hope Maude is on the mend soon and is able to come home quickly.

47 Lynne June 22, 2011 at 9:10 am

Oh, I’m so sorry! I hope she’s feeling better soon! (And I always wait, too…most things just seem to get better on their own, don’t they!)

48 Kate Reymann June 22, 2011 at 9:10 am

Repeat after me: I am not a bad parent. I am only doing the best that I possibly can or know how to do.

Get well soon to your little one!

49 Zoe June 22, 2011 at 9:10 am

Prayers for Maude’s quick recovery and your peace of mind!

50 Jessica June 22, 2011 at 9:14 am

Hugs! Hope she bounces back quickly! Try not to kick yourself. Pneumonia is tricky. Especially in kids.

51 kristin June 22, 2011 at 9:14 am

i echo that there is no possible way that you are a bad parent and predict a wonderful post comparing and contrasting health care in france and the US (and a second showcasing the get well cards made by siblings!). Get well soon Maude.

52 Krystle June 22, 2011 at 9:16 am

Aww! Poor girl, hope she feels better soon! xo

53 Genevieve June 22, 2011 at 9:16 am

…will be praying for Maude. Hope she feels better soon!

54 julie June 22, 2011 at 9:19 am

une pensée pour elle…

Parfois les enfants ne nous envoie pas les bon signaux, ils ont un moral à toute épreuve! Nous ne somme pas de mauvais parents pour autant!

ce qui est rassurant c’est qu’ils guérissent généralement vite…

Bonne semaine.

55 Megan June 22, 2011 at 9:25 am

Feel better, Maude!

56 Denise Laborde June 22, 2011 at 9:25 am

Gabrielle
As soon as I saw your tweet about Maude, my heart went out to you for all those bad-parent feelings you are having!
Don’t beat yourself up too much, had you taken her to the doctor they might have missed it too.
Two years ago my son spent 13 days in the hospital due to a horrible pneumonia that was misdiagnosed as a virus by three doctors.
I feel for you as I remember the guilt and worry I felt towards my son. Also, I remember the stress of needing to figure out how to be by his side and make sure the other children’s needs were met too.
Warm thoughts for all of you.
Bises,
D

57 The Woman Formerly Known as Beautiful June 22, 2011 at 9:29 am

So sorry sweet lady. There is nothing worse than a sick child and the feeling we should’ve been more alert. We have all been there. I’m sending both you and Maude lots of love. xo

58 Shannon June 22, 2011 at 9:30 am

Prayers for Maude’s quick and easy recovery. Just found out my oldest son had been playing lacrosse nearly all season with a hairline fracture to his fibula. Ugh! It happens to the best of us. No guilt.

59 christy June 22, 2011 at 9:36 am

Oh no! I hope she feels better very soon and is released on schedule. But please don’t beat yourself up about this! You did what we all do! You’re a fabulous mom to all those kids and they’re lucky to have you!

60 heather m June 22, 2011 at 10:00 am

SO NOT a bad parent. Like the rest of the sane parents in the world, you don’t run for every last sniffle. Then it rapidly descends into something worse, and things happen. She’ll be fine soon enough. Poor thing, hope she’s doing ok. Hope you all are. Quick recovery wishes to you all!

61 Christine June 22, 2011 at 10:05 am

Oh, I definitely feel that I should say something, my “real” job is a pediatric ICU doctor and you need to know that this is NOT YOUR FAULT, and I’m about 100% sure you brought her in at the right time, NOT too late. Sometimes parents really need to hear this from someone with the MD after their name.

Kids have this amazing ability to compensate for illness. They can be super whiny with a little stuffy nose, but they can also be running around and playing despite horrible pneumonia. They will compensate and compensate and hide how sick they really are, until they just hit a certain point that they can’t do it any more. It can appear that they just got really sick super fast, and most parents will tell the docs and nurses that “Really, they were fine until this morning…” and they’ll feel horrible, thinking they delayed their kid’s care. Truly, the kiddos hide it very well.

Also, there’s a decent percentage of kids that really have just a cold, but they get either a secondary bacterial pneumonia on top of the virus, or their virus just turns into a viral pneumonia. This takes time and it isn’t present at the very beginning of the illness.

I guess this crazy long comment is me telling you that you did the right thing by watching her initially. You are an amazing mom, and obviously with 6 kids you know what to watch for. That pneumonia has not been there since she first got sick, and little Mimi has been doing a great job of hiding how sick she was.

I hope she’s on the mend soon and out of the hospital!

62 Shannon June 22, 2011 at 10:21 am

It really is nice to hear this from someone with “MD” after her name. Thank you for taking time to reassure Gabrielle and the rest of us that we’re not bad parents.

63 Christine June 22, 2011 at 12:47 pm

It’s actually only the really good parents that worry that they’re bad parents. The bad parents are the ones that don’t take their kids in or won’t come visit (or even call) when the kids are in the hospital. It’s amazing how often this happens. I have a lot of bad stories, one of my worst ones is actually from yesterday!

I really think a lot of parents need to be told how often this happens, the kids hide the illness. It’s not your fault. Most parents will still feel guilty, but hearing it makes it a little easier to concentrate on being there for the little one and helping them through it. I make it a point to tell this to parents in my ICU now after hearing how much it has helped some parents cope with being in the hospital.

Best wishes to little Maude, and I’m sure her siblings are creating amazing get well gifts!

64 Kelly June 24, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Gosh, Christine, this helps me. It’s been nearly 5 years now, but when my son was 18 mos. old, he was hospitalized for 2 weeks with a bad case of bacterial pneumonia. He was in the ICU for 2 days and it took hours in the ER to even initially diagnose. He’d also had just a cold, mild cough in the mornings, nothing I really worried about. Then over the course of an afternoon, his condition nose-dived and he suddenly had a high fever, labored breathing, etc.

Anyway, at the time I kept asking the doctors, “what / how did this happen?” and kept beating myself up for not catching it sooner. It was an awful scary time…but now at 6 1/2, he’s just fine and it had no lasting effects. Still, the questions linger for me over how the heck it all happened. Your comments really helped put it all in perspective (and echo all the doctor’s assurances that it was just “one of those things.”)

Blair, so sorry Maude is going through this. I hope after the weekend she is much much better and will be home very soon.

65 Jessica June 22, 2011 at 10:12 am

I hope Maude feels better and is back home soon!

66 Amy3 June 22, 2011 at 10:21 am

Get well soon, Mimi!

Gabby, don’t feel bad. You have a tough girl and that strength is a great asset.

67 Erica June 22, 2011 at 10:21 am

I will be praying for her. My son had to be hospitalized with Kawasaki’s Disease just after his fourth birthday and it was a very scary time for us.

68 Anna June 22, 2011 at 10:26 am

Don’t be too hard on yourself. Every parent has been in that situation. I think pneumonia is notoriously sneaky like that. Hope she’s feeling better very soon!

69 Tara June 22, 2011 at 10:41 am

Prayers for Mimi and for you. Just to add another voice to the chorus–you’re not a bad parent! I’m actually waiting it out with one of my boys right now. I THINK it’s his second year molars causing the varied symptoms, but I don’t totally know. The lack of consistency in symptoms makes judging it so tough! Hoping she makes a quick recovery and you’re back to enjoying your lovely life in France ASAP.

70 Lisa Mackin June 22, 2011 at 11:12 am

No judgement here. I think you are an amazing woman for giving your family this wonderful experience. When we were away in Luxembourg two years ago my 14 yr. old wound up in the hospital for 8 days because her appendix ruptured. Here I thought she was just being a drag and kind of discounted her lethargy as her acting out. The following morning after a night of vomiting I realized it was far more serious. talk about feeling like a bad parent! Just think this will give them a great ice breaker to start conversations in years to come! Best of luck.

71 Cathi June 22, 2011 at 11:15 am

Oh No! Sending heartfelt well wishes to Maude!!

72 mary June 22, 2011 at 11:17 am

OMG! I am so sorry to hear of your child’s illness. I pray you and she will be feeling better soon. Parenting is a tough job some days! mary

73 Petra June 22, 2011 at 11:29 am

Take all the time you need to be with your family while Maude recovers – truly the ‘mom’ part of designmom is your most important role! In the meantime we’ll feast on the lovely family pictures you kindly shared with us and send lots of good wishes Maude’s way. When one of the children is sick it is so all consuming, all your energy and thoughts just want to go into making that precious person feel better. Hope you feel better too. Hugs to the Blairs.

74 Adventures In babywearing June 22, 2011 at 11:29 am

Praying for a quick healing. Hope everything is ok. You rest easy, too, mama!

Steph

75 steph t. June 22, 2011 at 11:37 am

shame on you for saying that!!
silly girl!!
you are NOT a bad parent!
that’s just kids.
they’re sick… then they’re fine… then they’re sick again.
they’re so much tougher than us adults.
it’s always hard to know when they’re “really” sick.
praying that she gets better real quick.
hang in there, mama!
tough to see your baby in the hospital, i’m sure!
xo

76 johanna June 22, 2011 at 11:45 am

Haven’t we all been there, kicking ourselves later for not taking the munchkins to the dr earlier? Hope your wee one feels better…. and you too.

77 Stephanie June 22, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Prayers that your little one is all better soon!

78 Starr June 22, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Get well soon, Maude! Gabrielle, I know you feel like “bad Mommy” because of Maude’s hospitalization, but I promise you that you aren’t. It’s not easy to hear, but this will be one of those “when we lived in France. . . ” stories that will be legendary someday.

79 BLP June 22, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Ouch…week-long hospital stays are never fun. Really, though, looking on the bright side, at least she is responding well to the antibiotics. I know it’s probably hard to see past the grey clouds right now, but she’ll be up and at ‘em before you know it! Hearts to you, Maude, and the rest of your lovely family! Hope the French hospitals are up to par ;)

80 Deb June 22, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Sending well-wishes across the Atlantic! I was just admiring your stunning family photos the other day and came back today to your news.

I hope your sweetheart is on the mend now and recovers quickly!

81 Janelle June 22, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I echo everyone else, don’t beat yourself up about it. It’s a little adventure for Maude…please tell me the hospital food is also better there. :-)

And I hope this isn’t too probing of a question, but I’ve been so curious about whether or not you get to take advantage of France’s healthcare system, or if you must carry insurance from the United States. Would you mind (when things calm down) telling us about that experience. It seems it would link closely to your other preparation to move abroad stories.

I’ve been seriously considering moving abroad short term with my kids, but it would likely only be two or three months at the most, as my job allows for some remote work, but not a full year.

82 Julie June 22, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Thinking of poor sweet Maude. Get well soon!

83 Diana June 22, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I am sure I speak for so many when we say our best for a healthy and speedy recovery for Mimi (I have a god daugther Mimi) ! No guilt on the bad parent thing, I can tell you so many stories similar to yours! Happy days for all the Blairs!

84 Chris June 22, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Take care! Nothing worse, than a sick babe and don’t be too hard on yourself!

85 The BabbyMama June 22, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Oh, how absolutely terrifying! We brought the Babby to the er for croup one night and it near scared us half to death, bundling her into the car at midnight. It’s not one of those things you can anticipate so don’t blame yourself!

86 Melisa/Shiny Brite June 22, 2011 at 12:50 pm

oh, no! i am so sorry to hear! that is so scary, i’m sure. but great that she’s responding so well to the antibiotics! she will be better before you know it.

and you are not a bad mom — we have all done exactly the same thing, waited to go to the doctor longer than we should have b/c of the up and down in how the sick one is doing. i’m sure you’re an attentive and loving mother. don’t worry, she will be FINE!

feel better, Maude — and take care, mama.

87 Hannah June 22, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I had that. It was a close call. And I got better much quickly than they predicted. I bet Maude will too!
And we’ve all done that — no one wants to be the paranoid parent, so sometimes we make mistakes. You guys are great, loving, caring parents, nothing less.

88 Emme June 22, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Feel better Maude!

89 Amy June 22, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I hope Maude is feeling better soon. Don’t beat yourself up. She must be so tough that she didn’t want you to know how sick she was feeling. She’ll be up and around in no time

90 Deb June 22, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Oh dear! Our thoughts are with you! And you’re not a bad parent at all!

91 Sara June 22, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Prayers for your sweet daughter, Gabby. You are an amazing Mom – it can be so hard to tell when it’s time to head to the Dr.’s office.

92 Incomparable buttons June 22, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Gosh…so sorry to hear that…happens to all of us…they seem fine in the morning…then in the evening we wonder why we didn’t take them to a doctor…then so much better in the morning…but pleased she is in good hands…pneumonia isn’t to be taken lightly…wish her well…
Warm greetings from south africa

93 Jill Leever June 22, 2011 at 1:30 pm

No no no you are not a bad parent! I did the same thing when my daughter was four years old. I’m not one to rush to the doctor for every little thing and I always wait it out. My daughter finally told ME she wanted to go to the doctor…..omg she had pnemonia. I felt HORRIBLE! But she got better !
I hope Maude gets well soon!

94 Lissa June 22, 2011 at 1:32 pm

As a medical family we’ve done that…..”oh, kids get sick….” And then, days later, the pediatrician finally says “Hm…are her eyes usually all sunken in like that?”…. and off to the ER we go for a lovely admission for severe dehydration. So I get that feeling of “bad mommie”…But we aren’t….thinking good thoughts and prayers as well for a quick recovery. Just think–one more interesting post about life in France!

95 Aimee June 22, 2011 at 1:36 pm

We’re sending hugs and prayers your way! Get better, Mimi!!

96 se7en June 22, 2011 at 1:44 pm

How awful for everyone… I hope life gets back to normal really quickly.

97 Nicole O June 22, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Pneumonia is tricky like that, don’t kick yourself. Blessings to Mimi. We’ll miss you

98 leslie June 22, 2011 at 2:24 pm

oh dear, pneumonia is very tricky, nicole is right. my son was hospitalized with it when he was 3. she’ll be fine, but she’ll be tired for a good while afterwards. it took parker a good week to seem normal, even after he was home. he was just so pooped out! good luck, i’ll be praying for maude (and her maman).

99 Emily Wylie June 22, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Poor Maude! Poor You! I did this too! Pneumonia, who knew? Took my boy, then 18 months, for vacation Maine in AUGUST- on 5th day, “boy, that cough isn’t getting any better!” – cut to 10 hour drive back to NYC a couple of days later, straight to the hospital, chest xrays, and lo and behold, the old 19th century Pneumonia! I have to say, the hospital part was the best part, right? Because then SOMEONE KNEW WHAT TO DO!

Thinking good, calm thoughts, (and looking at that now 5 year old wrassel with his baby brother even as I type)

-Emily

100 Ana June 22, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Oh dear! I am so sorry. My prayers are with you and her. xx

101 nikki June 22, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Sending healing thoughts to Mimi!
You are not a bad parent in the least. It happens to all parents and it sucks to not be able to make your child better by shear will. You are an awesome mom and she will be home before you know it.

102 Nora Ballantyne June 22, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Hugs and kisses and prayers and good karma your way, all across the sea! Take care and don’t be hard on yourself–it will be alright.

103 Jennifer June 22, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I agree with all the others – you are not a bad parent. I’ve been in the same situation myself – it’s so hard to tell sometimes. Prayers and warm wishes for a speedy recovery headed your way.

104 Meggan Hayes June 22, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I did the same thing with my baby when she was 8 months old. She is just such a mellow, calm baby that I knew she was not feeling well but had NO idea how bad it really was. I finally took her in when her temp wouldn’t go down and lo and behold she had pneumonia. She did very well with the antibiotics (minus horrible diarrhea-sorry I know TMI) and is 18 months old now and hasn’t been on any medicine since.

Get well soon Mimi!