Georges Magazine

June 2, 2011

french magazine for kids

Heather sent me a link to this beautiful online magazine for children. My French is awful, but the issues are so well-designed that I’m trying to stumble through them anyway.

French magazine for kidsFrench magazine for kids

P.S. — I just finished my weekly French lesson and Friends, I think I’m getting worse! Far and away the hardest part of moving to France is the fact that I don’t speak French. : )

1 Angela June 2, 2011 at 9:51 am

I was wondering how the French was coming along. Do many of your French friends and neighbors speak English?

2 Design Mom June 2, 2011 at 10:21 am

Hi Angela! I would say that it’s necessary for me to speak French with most of my neighbors. But I do have quite a few French friends (that live in Normandy, but not necessarily nearby) who speak some English too.

3 Traveling Mama June 2, 2011 at 10:34 am

This is adorable! Thanks for the link! PS- I totally understand the language woes. We are studying our 3rd language, which may actually make us certifiably insane!

4 Tamara June 2, 2011 at 10:48 am

Cute illustrations! I bet living there will make it much simpler for you and really good for the kids.

I took French for the equivalent of 8 semesters and I still can’t speak it. I ordered the special mushroom omelette accidentally (I hate mushrooms) and ended up in a gentlemans club when desperately looking for a bathroom. (It was simply called “bar” on the sign, so I’m pretty certain you won’t end up making that error with the kids, luckily).

5 diana June 2, 2011 at 11:39 am

It just takes time and a lot of patience! I learned French in Strasbourg, working in Grenoble (les trois alpes) and here in Canada at school and in Quebec! The key is to keep talking even though you make mistakes and to immerse yourself in situations where you Have to speak French! It is a beautiful language and one day soon you will wake up and feel some confidence with it, you and your kids should have an hour a day full on just French! Bonne chance!

6 Design Mom June 2, 2011 at 11:46 am

I’m sure you’re right, Diana. I think I might be the most impatient person on the planet.

7 Cherri Porter June 2, 2011 at 11:46 am

This means you’ll be getting better soon, I promise. We often struggle most with language learning (and feel the worst) just when we’re making gains. Our brains are rearranging some pieces to make sense of it all and find room. And, learning a language is about real estate–it’s a funny metaphor, but it works out when you learn a bit about the brain science behind it. As a mother and designer and blogger and etc., your brain has little real estate to give up for a new language, it’s full and tired. It’s a matter of physics, in some cases, and so learning a new language will be the hardest on those whose brains are busiest.

8 julie June 2, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Quel joli magazine!
j’adore le numéro Moustache… :)

le français est une langue complexe… mais riche!

Bon courage!

Julie

9 betsy June 2, 2011 at 1:10 pm

looks so fun! I love online mags especially kids!:)

10 Ann June 2, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I took French all through my elementary and high school years, but haven’t had much of a chance to use it since I moved to the U.S. — until now! My 5-year-old is smart as a whip so my husband and I can no longer spell things that are not for his ears. We were using Pig Latin, but he’s catching on to that, too. Resurrecting our rudimentary French has worked great, however!

Stick with it! Before you know it, you’ll be speaking with ease.

11 Design Mom June 3, 2011 at 2:51 am

Love it, Ann! I’m sure your son will pick up French in no time and inspire you and your husband to learn another language for secret communications. : )

12 Nicole June 2, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Hang in there. I totally agree with Cherri. Just when you’re moving backwards is when you are going to move ahead. You feel like you should make daily progress, but it just doesn’t work that way. If you have any one person with whom you feel like you understand and speak to easily, seek them out! It will help with your confidence in speaking and making progress. It will come!

And relax. My French uncle has been in the states for over 40 years and we still can’t understand half of what he says… and we love him just the same!

13 Tina June 2, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I remember when I did my student exchange in Switzerland there was a really frustrating period where I actually started to understand what people are saying, but I wasn’t quite able to formulate a response yet. It was easy for people to think I was just stupid, even though that wasn’t the case.

Well okay, there was that time when I didn’t understand what someone was saying to me in class even though I’d asked her to repeat it. I was tired of trying to figure it out so I decided to just smile and nod. Would have been fine if she weren’t ask me to do something. She looked at me funny while I smiled and nodded and then got up to do it herself…

By the end of the year though I was so fluent people would ask me to talk just as a party trick to hear this Kiwi girl sounding so Swiss.

It will come Gabi, keep practicing! :)

14 Design Mom June 3, 2011 at 2:52 am

“people would ask me to talk just as a party trick”

I can totally imagine that, Tina. Too funny!

15 Sara June 2, 2011 at 2:37 pm

It really is so hard to learn a new language as an adult! Good for you for sticking with it. Hope it gets easier soon :).

16 Gina vide June 2, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I’ve studied and have had highths were I was actually conversational; reduced recently to only feeling like a good mimic! For me, seconds languages come in waves. With Swedish, my currently most successful second language; I really had to be forced into a setting where I wanted to make a friend and had to in the foreign language (most recently swedish) — I worked in an office with someone I was motivated to becomes friends with but, who who only wanted to sweak Swedish. I needed both elements or I am too social – I will inevitably gravititate to conversation & connection over mastery. The other tip I’ve heard from many others is to listen to the foreign before going to bed – just 10-15 minutes but every night. People swear by this. However, please share any interesting materials– I haven’t found the right materials myself — I’ve only found current events which are over my head, standard lessons= too dry and j’aime lire = too juevenile. Good luck – just stick with it!!

17 Gina vide June 2, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I’ve studied and have had highths were I was actually conversational; reduced recently to only feeling like a good mimic! For me, seconds languages come in waves. With Swedish, my currently most successful second language; I really had to be forced into a setting where I wanted to make a friend and had to in the foreign language (most recently swedish) — I worked in an office with someone I was motivated to becomes friends with but, who who only wanted to sweak Swedish. I needed both elements or I am too social – I will inevitably gravititate to conversation & connection over mastery. The other tip I’ve heard from many others is to listen to the foreign before going to bed – just 10-15 minutes but every night. People swear by this. However, please share any interesting materials– I haven’t found the right materials myself — I’ve only found current events which are over my head, standard lessons= too dry and j’aime lire = too juvenile. Good luck – just stick with it!!

18 Brittany June 2, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Well, that’s a minor detail ;), but thankfully, it’s just about the time that you’re frustrated with a language that you actually start to learn something, and I’m sure being immersed in France, you will be speaking French beautifully soon. I know how hard it is to live in a place where majority of the population doesn’t speak your language!

19 Sarah June 2, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Here’s something that’s a little bit hopeful (I think). The more you understand, the more you know you don’t know. So, if you think you’re getting worse, it probably means you’re making progress, but you understand more than you can formulate into your own words. So it just SEEMS like you’re getting worse. I majored in French, have studied it for 13+ years, and I still feel that way more often that I’d like to admit. :)

20 Dina June 2, 2011 at 7:50 pm

As a French teacher, my biggest piece of advice is learn the basic grammar (4 main verbs, -er, -re, and -ir verbs) in the present and passe compose tenses (I am not typing with accents, being lazy!) Then study some vocabulary in a few key contexts that will be helpful to your everyday life (market, school, whatever). Learn the interrogative expressions as well, so that you can ask and respond to questions. I am old-school (although young!)-I like to teach grammar, not the new, learn through conversation approach to language. I think the former works well if you’re learning a 2nd language, and the latter if you’re learning the language as a native or are very young.

21 Vivi June 2, 2011 at 8:25 pm

How are the kids adapting to a new language

22 Design Mom June 3, 2011 at 2:54 am

Thanks for all the kind encouragement! I really appreciate it.

23 Stasha June 3, 2011 at 5:01 am

Buck up! Around 8 months you’ll make a big leap in your progress! We used to carry around a little notebook to write down words we would hear and didn’t know. This is useful, and also a hilarious souvenir to look back at once you know French.

24 mel June 3, 2011 at 9:43 am

My sister and I just started a combined effort to resuscitate and practice our french and found busuu.com. It is a super-fun, albeit addicting, way to learn and practice online with a global language-learning community. ‘Course, you live there so you have built in practice, but they have a decent way of introducing new vocabulary. Not bad for a free service either.

Bon courage!

25 Live Love Small June 3, 2011 at 1:57 pm

the design and graphics are adorable. love the cover stripes!

26 georgie world June 3, 2011 at 11:00 pm

When looking at the cover of the magazine I was surprised to see my now defunct logo ‘Georgie World’ as the title. Check this out:

The font is EXACTLY the same!

27 Summer Lewis June 4, 2011 at 12:27 am

We’ve lived in Japan for nearly 10 months now, and I just know a few random words and helpful phrases. I haven’t actually studied it, but I know I need to because we plan on living her for many years.
So good for you for actually studying French! Just be glad you can still kind of read the signs! The hardest part for me is not being able to read Japanese, and they use three different “alphabets” so that will take a long time to learn.

28 Mugunth August 15, 2012 at 1:47 am

Helloo i m from India we are looking for a magazine and for pen pearl. we have 18 students who are very eager to learn but we dont know a magazine

assist us in finding the better way

thankyou

29 Mugunth August 15, 2012 at 1:55 am

we are from a school and we are looking for pen friend and a magazine
we have 18 kids if any one of you want to be in touch with send us email on mugunth14@gmail.com