Family Photos

June 20, 2011

modernkidsblairfamily36

Picture 1 of 36

A few weeks ago, Sarah from Modern Kids Photography came to our home to shoot a family photo. We just got the results back and I’m so pleased with how they turned out! I had a hard time narrowing down the images to share with you.

Something fun: instead of shooting with a digital camera, Sarah decided to use film. I asked Sarah about it and she said, “These images were shot on a Contax 645. This is a medium format film camera that makes lovely negatives — about twice the size of 35mm film. The bigger the negative the prettier the results — typically. ;) I love film because the process is slower and makes me more thoughtful when shooting. I also loves the beautiful skin tones achieved with film.”

I’m pleased with the skin tones too! There is one of Baby June (2nd thumbnail, last row) where she is simply radiant and I want to eat her up.

If you’re looking for a great photographer of kids, I highly recommend Sarah. My children adored her and even insisted she stay for dinner! Sarah lives in San Francisco but photographs all over the US (and sometimes Europe). If you’re interested in a film shoot, reserve her quickly, because she only offers a limited number of film shoots per year. Want to see more of Sarah’s work? You can find her on Pinterest and on her blog too.

P.S. — Do you like the French Greys we wore? I’ll share all the sources in another post.

{ 161 comments }

1 katie June 20, 2011 at 7:54 pm

aaaaaaaaaaaah!!!
these. are. fabulous!!
you’ve set a new standard!!!

2 Gaby June 20, 2011 at 7:55 pm

GORGEOUS pictures! Quite easy with a stylish beautiful family and a talented photographer ;)

3 Simone June 20, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Stunning, just stunning. I love that your photographer used film.

4 Charlotte June 20, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Awww, that last one of the whole family is just lovely!

5 Lori C. June 20, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Beautiful photos…what a great reminder of your time in France.

Love from Lori C.

6 Kelley June 20, 2011 at 8:53 pm

My favorite thing about your family photos is always the wardrobe choice. I love how you get it to coordinate and flow without being too matchy matchy. When I was a kid, my mother always made us all dress in the EXACT same thing (White/Denim or Black/Khaki were her favorites). I always hated it and I would always try and rebel by wearing a bright yellow tank top underneath my white shirt or throwing on a hot pink head band, much to my mother’s chagrin.

7 ellen patton June 20, 2011 at 8:55 pm

beautiful. every single one.

8 Carrie Corder June 20, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I especially loved your oldest daughter’s hair. I would love it if you would share a tutorial on how to achieve that style on a future post. Just gorgeous!

9 Kimberly Stiner June 20, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Dreamy, freckly, lovely. The girls are sweet, the boys are charming and June, simply irresistible!!

10 chalica June 20, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Love them! 16 and 23 are my favorites! So beautiful.

11 Heidi June 20, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Is Oscar at the cutest stage or what? Every shot of him seems to capture little boys perfectly–sweet, playful, antagonist, shy but excited, etc. . .
I love all your pictures! What a beautiful family!

12 Dana June 20, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Simply divine in every way….

13 Carrie June 20, 2011 at 9:45 pm

these are fantastic photos. I especially love the dresses that your girls are wearing (Betty’s is my favorite!). looking forward to the post on the sources :)

14 Meghan Beutler June 20, 2011 at 9:57 pm

These are so gorgeous, and I love the colors and wardrobe. It’s so fittingly French. How special to be able to take photos at La Cressoniere!

15 Leslie Lewis June 20, 2011 at 10:24 pm

These photos look like they belong in a magazine! So clever with the angles and lighting. I love the one with you and June toward the beginning. Maude’s pictures are priceless, too.

16 Kristen Duke Photography June 20, 2011 at 10:25 pm

I love the outfit selections;) Love shots.

17 Arika June 20, 2011 at 10:37 pm

These pictures are beautiful! You have such a beautiful family, and these pictures captured that amazingly! Love them!

18 Jessica June 20, 2011 at 11:34 pm

The freckles…oh the freckles!! Your kids a ridiculously gorgeous!

19 Miss Stovetop June 21, 2011 at 1:07 am

Oh, look at THAT! So gorgeous! The boys are looking dapper, the girls all chic and feminine with the flowers and baby June is looking as huggable as her wooly teddy!!! Kisses to all of them!

Oh and I love the Under The Tree shot of you, Ben Blair and June :)

20 From Belgium June 21, 2011 at 3:37 am

Just one question: would she come to Belgium if I asked her nicely?
And where did you get those flowery headbands, they are to die for… (ok sorry that is two questions)

21 Melisa/Shiny Brite June 21, 2011 at 7:40 am

oh my goodness — absolutely beautiful! and love, love, love the French greys you all wore….

22 johanna June 21, 2011 at 8:06 am

Absolutely 100% gorgeous!!!!!!

23 Boston Mamas June 21, 2011 at 8:37 am

These are just unbelievably beautiful Gabby! Thanks for sharing. xo

24 Charity June 21, 2011 at 9:12 am

Wow! You couldn’t ask for a better setting, these pictures are amazing! It’s hard to choose but my favorites where, all four girls walking in the yard holding baby June and the one with Ralph buttoning his jacket was perfect. Such fun. Thanks for sharing!

25 jennifer little June 21, 2011 at 9:17 am

These are absolutely stunning. A job well done from the styling to the photography. Gorgeous!

26 lianne June 21, 2011 at 9:22 am

oh, gabrielle, those photos are wonderful! i love wee junes gold shoes :) makes me want to schedule a photo shoot with our photographer… it’s due time. beautiful photos — hats off to the photographer (and LOVE that she shot with film, too!).

27 Nikki {Perpetually Engaged} June 21, 2011 at 10:23 am

Gabrielle these are so beautiful! Love the French greys, tres chic ;)

28 Alissa June 21, 2011 at 11:48 am

The last picture of you and June is unreal gorgeous. You have a beautiful family.

29 Diane June 21, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Lovely pics! Thanks for sharing them.

30 Bonny June 21, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I love them!! When you mentioned you were getting your portraits done again, I thought, it would be hard to beat the last one, but I LOVE these!! Everyone looked adorable!! Great job…I also really loved how you? fixed your oldest daughter’s hair..so cute! Your youngest one is a doll!! Actually, all your children are ;)

31 amy smart June 21, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I love the ones of you and June, Gabby. They are classic and stunning.

32 Amy June 21, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Your family is gorgeous and so are the photos. Really, really beautiful. And what a great memento of your time in Normandy as well. Thanks for sharing!

33 Kathy C. June 21, 2011 at 5:21 pm

These portraits are stunning. The muted colors are so beautiful. Every picture seems to tell a story and reveal your personalities. You must be pleased!

34 the sleepy time gal June 21, 2011 at 5:51 pm

absolutely stunning!!!!! you look fabulous!

35 Lori June 21, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Those are the most priceless family photos. You must be looking at them over and over again. What a joy! I love the grey attire and that the photographer used film. I agree, the color of good old-fashioned film is worth it!

36 Anneliese June 21, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Ethereal!

37 Jodi Kahn June 21, 2011 at 9:00 pm

These are absolutely beautiful. So much fun to see your family in that exquisite setting! WONDERFUL.
Hope you’re all well,
Jodi

38 Jenny June 21, 2011 at 9:15 pm

The photos are amazing!!!

39 Amanda Z. June 21, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Such gorgeous gorgeous children! They all have such striking resemblances to you and your husband.

This was a good kick in the pants for me to start taking more photos of my own little guy. And for me to chop off my curls!

40 Brookeh June 22, 2011 at 1:20 am

So beautiful. I love the color scheme. It seems you took right from the house. Everything seems to fit so well. You are completely right about that picture of baby June. SO gorgeous. You have such a beautiful family.

41 Kholisa June 22, 2011 at 1:32 am

Perfection! Love how different this shoot is from the bright pops of colour that was the New York family shoot, both equally beautiful but this is my fav because of Baby June, love the one where you all turn to look at her!

42 Sara June 22, 2011 at 3:19 am

Absolutely stunning! You all look gorgeous, and the grey is so simple and elegant. They are all beautiful, but the ones of Mimi really show how much she is maturing into a beautiful young lady :). Thanks for sharing!

43 Katie June 22, 2011 at 8:23 am

BEAUTIFUL photos!

44 Carrie June 22, 2011 at 10:55 am

oh my gosh–these are amazing.

45 Franca Bollo June 22, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Just fantastic. Could the family, location, and palette be any more photogenic? And the mood/tone and blocking (posing? what’s the word I’m looking for?)? When all the pieces work together so beautifully, it makes me weep … almost.

46 Nora Ballantyne June 22, 2011 at 3:21 pm

What lovely sweet people you all are. And Gabrielle, you are just perfectly stunning: elegant, serene, radiant–just gorgeous. Thanks for allowing us this magical vision.

47 Tiffany | Peanut Blossom June 22, 2011 at 6:20 pm

I don’t think it’s possible for me to love these any more than I do. What a beautiful family you have. How blessed you all are to have each other. Now, would you mind wardrobing my family for our family shoot?? Grey! Who’d have thunk it. Stunning.

48 currystrumpet June 23, 2011 at 5:31 am

These pictures are just gorgeous! I love the muted palette and the flower headband on Maude (?). The care and effort that you put into these family portraits make them such a treasure.

49 Sharmyn June 23, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Picture 27 of the three girls in the wheel barrow with the wall of windows behind them is reminiscent of a Carl Larsson painting. Really lovely.

50 kristi June 23, 2011 at 10:04 pm

wow – gorgeous! i can’t imagine a more perfect keepsake from your time there. thanks for sharing!

51 Barb H. June 25, 2011 at 9:00 am

These are masterful. The styling and photography and models are just lovely. Thanks for the inspiration. Love to see your happy family being…a family.

52 Catherine June 28, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I absolutely love the family pics – fun and happy doesn’t look posed I love it!
Great clothes colours too – just works!

great to see your lovely family. four girls two boys – we just had our fourth daughter, so now we have 4 girls and one boy – he’s the king of the roost!

cheers

53 the emily July 1, 2011 at 10:49 am

I didn’t think your Central Park photos could be outdone. I was wrong. These are fantastic. Just amazing! Your oldest daughter, is it Maude? She’s stunning. I love her freckles. The one of her by herself looking down, I think it was #17? Beautiful. I am just in awe of these! Your family is gorgeous, and you are amazing at putting outfits together. Truly amazing.

54 Diana July 4, 2011 at 1:09 am

Adorable!

55 Leah Chambers July 8, 2011 at 7:46 am

# 27 is exquisite!!

56 Fran @ youfrillme July 11, 2011 at 1:40 pm

some of my favorite portraits I’ve ever come across. lovely.

57 Sherri August 23, 2011 at 7:34 am

Just breathtaking photos – truly – and I never use that word :-). Gorgeous! The looks and gestures that were captured… not to mention the pretty “french greys” outfits – just so nice. I completely agree about the film and the skin tones – such depth.

58 Sherri August 23, 2011 at 7:35 am

Should have added that it doesn’t hurt that those kids are so cute :-).

59 bettijo @ PagingSupermom.com August 23, 2011 at 6:21 pm

they’re stunning! 15 is my fave. LOVE the gray color scheme.

60 Lisa Wood October 9, 2011 at 3:08 pm

I was just on http://www.pinterest.com getting my daily “image diet” and recognized your family from my favorite House Hunters International Episode! I wanted to let you know that I think it is AMAZING that you took your family abroad to live…especially France! I pray that my family will be able to do the same in the near future. Anyway, it is great to find your blog and the images of you family are gorgeous! God bless.

Comments on this entry are closed.