Family Photos

June 20, 2011

modernkidsblairfamily08

Picture 18 of 36

A few weeks ago, Sarah from Modern Kids Photography came to our home to shoot a family photo. We just got the results back and I’m so pleased with how they turned out! I had a hard time narrowing down the images to share with you.

Something fun: instead of shooting with a digital camera, Sarah decided to use film. I asked Sarah about it and she said, “These images were shot on a Contax 645. This is a medium format film camera that makes lovely negatives — about twice the size of 35mm film. The bigger the negative the prettier the results — typically. ;) I love film because the process is slower and makes me more thoughtful when shooting. I also loves the beautiful skin tones achieved with film.”

I’m pleased with the skin tones too! There is one of Baby June (2nd thumbnail, last row) where she is simply radiant and I want to eat her up.

If you’re looking for a great photographer of kids, I highly recommend Sarah. My children adored her and even insisted she stay for dinner! Sarah lives in San Francisco but photographs all over the US (and sometimes Europe). If you’re interested in a film shoot, reserve her quickly, because she only offers a limited number of film shoots per year. Want to see more of Sarah’s work? You can find her on Pinterest and on her blog too.

P.S. — Do you like the French Greys we wore? I’ll share all the sources in another post.

{ 161 comments }

1 Kathy June 20, 2011 at 6:21 am

Your family photo is absolutely gorgeous. I love the grey tones of the clothing. What a treasure this will be for generations to come. Thanks for sharing with us.

2 Destri June 20, 2011 at 6:24 am

Oh my goodness. Now can we borrow your place to take the photos too?
They turned out beautiful, and I love love the candid shots she took.
Loving your hair too!

3 Design Mom June 20, 2011 at 7:35 am

It’s hard to find a prettier backdrop than La Cressonnière!

4 naama June 20, 2011 at 7:01 am

Amazing photos! enjoyed all of them

5 Naomi June 20, 2011 at 7:02 am

these are so lovely. and all i can think when i see the ones of just ralph is “when he becomes a famous movie maker he’s going to have all these awesome pictures of his ‘early years’ for his fans to admire and squeal at!” so cute. your kids look so much like you and your husband, it’s beautiful!

6 Hatsuho June 20, 2011 at 7:08 am

Oh, I LOVE these family pictures. Everyone looks fantastic. (I think what’s most incredible is that you got all 6 kids to look at the camera at the same time AND look happy!)

7 Susan June 20, 2011 at 7:14 am

Absolutely stunning. I love the outfits you pulled together for everyone…perfect!

8 christy June 20, 2011 at 7:24 am

These photos are just stunning! I never would have thought of that color scheme – especially after the success of your brightly colored outfits in NY a couple years ago – but it looks just smashing. Your children are gorgeous!

9 Jan @ Family Bites June 20, 2011 at 7:26 am

Really beautiful. The kids are so cute and healthy looking and I adore the clothing.

10 Ana June 20, 2011 at 7:27 am

Amazing I’m beyond in love!

11 tina June 20, 2011 at 7:29 am

I love the pictures! Your kids are adorable and I love the clothes, especially the dresses on the girls!

12 tina June 20, 2011 at 7:30 am

I love the pictures! Your kids are adorable and I love the clothes, especially the dresses!

13 Amy Ryan June 20, 2011 at 7:38 am

Love the girls beautiful dresses. The colours are perfect. June stole the show. Please post on outfits next:)

14 Heather June 20, 2011 at 7:40 am

J’adore! Those photos are beautiful. A treasure!
I have to admit that I was dubious about the grey clothing. I should have known that you were right on in your color choice! :)
you have a beautiful family. Thank you for sharing the photos!

15 Tanya June 20, 2011 at 7:42 am

BEAUTIFUL!

16 Elizabeth June 20, 2011 at 7:43 am

What remarkable photos — and I do love the French grays. You’re a beautiful, soulful family –

17 Heather June 20, 2011 at 7:45 am

These are terrific! It must have been so much fun to do. Baby June does look super yummy, and I’m assuming this is THE chic haircut you got? It’s tres great!

18 Christina June 20, 2011 at 7:52 am

Wow! What lovely photos of your beautiful family. It looks like it was a fun shoot!

19 Lola G. June 20, 2011 at 7:54 am

Oh my dear, what treasures these are! I don’t know how you are getting anything done at all — it must be so tempting to drink these in all day long (yes, I realize that the moving version surrounds and delights you, but still………). This was a beautiful start to my day, and I am so happy that you and yours have these mini-masterpieces to cherish, as you do each other.

20 kelleyn June 20, 2011 at 8:09 am

Such a departure from the last photo shoot in New York, but I love it. My favorites are the photo of all the children in the tree house, the last photo of the family against the red door, and the one of you holding June with the pacifier in her mouth. So lovely!

21 nic June 20, 2011 at 8:17 am

Absolutely stunning photos! amazing. I loved them all!

22 peggy June 20, 2011 at 8:18 am

a few months in France and you all look so FRENCH. lovely and fun to see!
I like that the pictures are so natural and “normal”, specially with kids I have a hard time to see these super prepared, tons of props, shootings…
well done!

23 miggy June 20, 2011 at 8:19 am

Yes I LOVE the colors. A beautifully muted palette. Seems very French…great job mom.

24 joanne June 20, 2011 at 8:24 am

the first thing i was going to say when i saw a couple of these was, “is this film?” they are so very beautiful. your kids are gorgeous, your styling is spot-on as usual, just a perfect photo shoot. :)

25 Denise Laborde June 20, 2011 at 8:26 am

Lovely family. Lovely photos!

26 Erin R June 20, 2011 at 8:27 am

Fantastic photos. The style is timeless and lovely!

27 juliagblair June 20, 2011 at 8:32 am

Je suis ENCHANTE! Such a happy and beautiful way to begin this Monday!

Want to hug you all! Personality plus ART. Wonderful!

28 Olivia June 20, 2011 at 8:34 am

Just wow! Love the family shots, and June’s curls are too cute. I also LOVE #8. It could easily be a photo from the 1940′s–so very cool. Thanks for sharing :)

29 Kelsey Gerhard June 20, 2011 at 8:36 am

These are delightful! Love the greys with the peachy pink rose petals… splendid. I would imagine you are an easy family to photograph :).

30 thesicklychild June 20, 2011 at 8:38 am

These are darling!

31 Maria Ortiz-Cintron June 20, 2011 at 8:43 am

Lovely!

32 creole wisdom June 20, 2011 at 8:48 am

So gorgeous! I am excited to hear about the wardrobe, too.

33 Zoe June 20, 2011 at 8:49 am

Gorgeousness!

Love the greys, and I agree that something special happens when photos are shot on film. It certainly comes through here!

34 amy turn shar[p June 20, 2011 at 8:53 am

My god Gabs. These are AMAZING!

35 denese June 20, 2011 at 8:55 am

oh for heaven’s sake. it’s just silly how absolutely fresh and modern and charming and gorgeous your family is.

the trees house shot, no the wheelbarrow shot, ooh – wait, the window sill one… I can’t begin to pick a favorite.

the dreamy grey palette is just, well, dreamy!

what a wonderful selection of photographs and what fortune you have for this amazing life!

best – d

post script: don’t forget, today’s the day.

36 elz June 20, 2011 at 9:00 am

What wonderful photos. The girls (including you) all look like they’ve stepped out of an ad. Gorgeous.

37 leslie w. June 20, 2011 at 9:04 am

i’m in awe of the beautiful work Sarah did and the amazing job you always do in selecting clothing — i’m always trying to remember different ways you dress your kiddos and mimic it with mine. you mentioned awhile back that you’ve always wanted to design a layette set and how much you love textile design — you definitely have the eye.

also, just out of curiosity — do you ever have to coax your kids into wearing a certain item of clothing? for instance, did oscar want to wear the scarf? it looks great, but i know my daughter is opinionated sometimes about what she’ll wear or how to do her hair (no ponytails!) and i don’t want her to feel like she’s my personal doll. :) even though sometimes i wish she was. :)

38 Janan W June 20, 2011 at 9:16 am

Gorgeous. I love everyone’s clothing and the colors. I need family photos like this.

39 Amy3 June 20, 2011 at 9:22 am

Such great photos! I can see why it’s hard for you to choose favorites. Lovely!

40 Jen in TX June 20, 2011 at 9:22 am

Absolutely beautiful! I love the second photo in, of the whole family. And the one of all the children standing on top of the tree house. And the one of you, Ben, and June. Baby June has the most beautiful eyes! And the one of Ben and the boys in the wheelbarrow. I guess I love them all. :)

41 MrsF June 20, 2011 at 9:24 am

I’m sure you’ve heard this a thousand times, but it bears repeating – you have such a beautiful family! What a fun and stylish way to preserve your precious memories of La Cressonniere/France!

Your kids are so natural in front of the camera. I was always awkward and shy by contrast so pretty much all my childhood photos feature a very stony-faced little me.

42 Michelle June 20, 2011 at 9:24 am

Wow, you have a beautiful family. I love how all of your outfits are coordinated as well, nice touch!

43 Rosa @ Flutter Flutter June 20, 2011 at 9:37 am

Absolutely beautiful! I love the muted tones that you chose to wear, and nice contrast to the last photo shoot with the brights!

44 steph t. June 20, 2011 at 9:38 am

oh my goodness!!! could you be any more GORGEOUS?!?!
what a stunningly beautiful family you have.
i love the choice of clothing and the muted colors.
different from what seems to be done as of late.
i may have to take a nod from this when we do our family photos at the end of summer.
these colors are divine!
little betty is a sweetheart!
there are so many sweet pics of her.
what a fun age she is… curious and playful.
and olive and maude!
wow… what beautiful young ladies they’re becoming!
do they ever put up a fight in how you dress them for these types of things?
i can choose our outfits to a tee and somehow, my 2 older girls will fight about something.
they have their own sense of style, it seems (which is good in a way too, right?).
and your boys!
great pic of ben blair with the two in the wheelbarrow! hee hee!
and baby june… always edible and adorable!
my favorite pic is the one of all the kids in the tree house!!!
SOOOO cute!
love them all!
thanks for sharing them with us!

45 Tracey June 20, 2011 at 9:41 am

Absolutely GORGEOUS! My heart is jealous.

46 My Traveling Troop June 20, 2011 at 9:41 am

What beautiful photos! I love the French grey color of the clothes, how the background colors of the house pop in the background, and how comfortable and confident your children seem in front of the camera. Love it all!

47 Taunya June 20, 2011 at 9:42 am

Such sweet loveliness!! Thank you for sharing. My favorites have to be the final family shot with the red in the background – Junes precious smile is to die for. I love love love the stunning shot of your daughter in the 2nd row, third from the end! Beautiful! And my other faves are the B&W of the girls walking in the garden and also of them in the wheelbarrow (minus June of course). And the boys in the wheelbarrow with dad! Amazing! Do you have a favorite? I bet it would be hard to choose!

48 Mary-- The Yellow Door Paperie June 20, 2011 at 9:44 am

Beautiful photos!

49 Rachelle @ PictureSmiths June 20, 2011 at 9:48 am

Lovely, just LOVELY! What wonderful, timeless images on film. And how marvelous that you have documented not only your beautiful, growing family, but also your family *in* your home. :) So very special. You are truly blessed!

50 sarah June 20, 2011 at 9:50 am

LOVE them. thanks for sharing another piece of your family with us. i am enjoying watching the kids grow up. beautiful photography.

51 rebecca June 20, 2011 at 10:03 am

Gabrielle, these pictures are stunning. Wonderful work putting the outfits together. Your family is beautiful!

52 kroke96 June 20, 2011 at 10:09 am

Absolutely stunning. Love the colors and the outfits. And the muddy air around some of the pictures. This is the best place to have such a shoot done with a family.
Pleas share details on where you got the girls and your outfits. I love them.

53 jen June 20, 2011 at 10:10 am

perfection!

54 HipMum June 20, 2011 at 10:15 am

You look like the Von Trapp family with all those beautiful children. Thanks for sharing – you’ve inspired me to rally my troops together for some family photos.

55 mrs boo radley June 20, 2011 at 10:19 am

Fabulous! I love them and the contrast between this shoot and the NYC shoot, both stunning in their own way.
LOVELY!

56 Danielle June 20, 2011 at 10:20 am

These photos are truly stunning! It is so refreshing to see that, in this overwhelmingly digital age, there are artists who remember the advantages of returning to old school tools and continue to implement them to create such beauty.

57 Catherine at Design Editor June 20, 2011 at 10:54 am

Absolutely beautiful. So many favorites! Really love the portrait of you and June outside and the bw pic of the girls running because of the”Sound of Music” quality.
A round of applause for the outfits and styling as well. Love your key necklace!

58 DeAnn June 20, 2011 at 11:04 am

delicious!

59 Steph June 20, 2011 at 11:15 am

Love the colour palate, love your family.

60 Ashley Rae June 20, 2011 at 11:17 am

these are gorgous!!! I really love the one of you, hubby & June taken from above in the tree. As always, you’re family is beautiful! I hope France is treating you all well!!! :)

61 Erin June 20, 2011 at 11:25 am

Charming! My fav is of Betty on the window sill. What a lovely way to remember your time in France in addition to capturing this stage of your family’s growth.

62 Sarah @ Knit York City June 20, 2011 at 11:29 am

Shooting kids with film is pretty risky these days! It was definitely worth it! She captured everyone so perfectly. Thanks for sharing! :)

63 Dia June 20, 2011 at 11:50 am

Ahhh. These make my heart ache- what a beautiful family! Everyone I clicked on became a new favorite, but I think Oscar with a scarf on a pile of wood is possibly the cutest thing I’ve ever seen!

64 Hannah/Sundry Mumsy June 20, 2011 at 11:58 am

I’ve got a soft spot for freckles. So beautiful.

65 Alexis June 20, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Ohhhhh I love these. Beautiful photos of a lovely family. I love how you dressed everyone… it adds to the timeless vintage feel. The film gave everything a great light and a perfect softness for the location. Absolutely stunning.

66 Erin June 20, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Perfection! Your beautiful family + La Cressonniere = a photographer’s dream! Really lovely, and that light is amazing!

67 Ann June 20, 2011 at 12:06 pm

These photos make me want to have 6 kids and move to France!

68 temp★files June 20, 2011 at 12:17 pm

beautiful family!!!

69 Martina June 20, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Beautiful pictures. Beautiful family. I think #2 is my favorite but they’re all really lovely. And wow, I feel like only a “real” photographer would be brave enough to use film instead of digital. Separates the men from the boys, so to speak.

70 Heather B. June 20, 2011 at 12:23 pm

You have the most beautiful family, Gabby. These photos have made my day.

71 Ashlea Walter June 20, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Gasp! The family photographs are incredible. Great choice on the shades of grey too. Just lovely!

72 Deb June 20, 2011 at 12:51 pm

oh.my.goodness. Simply stunning! Sarah is so very talented!! (She snapped a few pictures of my at ALT and I would love for her to capture my boys)

73 Sarah June 20, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Yay to the Blair Family! Thanks for everything, Gabrielle. It was such a joy to experience your family that day. I hope to see all of you again soon!

74 Robin June 20, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Love the pictures and your choice of clothes. All so beautiful!!!

75 findingmagnolia June 20, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Beautiful! I love the color palette you selected. Can’t wait to find out the sources!

We may be moving to the Bay Area soon, and if so, I now know who to contact for our next round of family photos.

76 Dee June 20, 2011 at 1:15 pm

These are *incredible*!

77 kim June 20, 2011 at 1:15 pm

You must be so pleased! What beautiful reminders of your time in France. Gorgeous!

78 Chantale June 20, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Really gorgeous! And I love the fact that she photographed old school. You and your family look wonderful! The photos are gorgeous.. I also love how you’re all dressed up in such lovely soft toned clothing.

79 Holli Nucci June 20, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Every single photo is absolutely STUNNING! Oh how I have so missed visiting your blog!
Blessings!
Holli

80 Janet Stevenson June 20, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Love that Blair family!!!!! Your children are so cute!!!!! Let’s not forget the parents, love your hair Gabby!!! Absolutely stunning! Trés bien madame!!!

81 se7en June 20, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Oh you lucky thing – those photographs are stunning, beautiful, exquisite. Your photographer is a genius, how on earth does she get all those little eyes looking in the same direction? Our family photos always look like out takes!!!! Love it, what a treasure!!!

82 Jules June 20, 2011 at 2:01 pm

My goodness, these pictures are beautiful! The 4th one from the end…the one with you holding June…is just breathtaking. You’re making me want to cut my hair short, too. You look very Jacqueline Kennedy.

83 Melissa June 20, 2011 at 2:26 pm

i can’t stop looking at these photos ~ what an incredible gift of memories that will keep on giving for lifetimes. beautiful family! and j’adore the grey!

84 leslie June 20, 2011 at 2:34 pm

these are amazing photos, gabrielle! i’m in awe! gorgeous.

85 Marivic June 20, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Really love the color palette and composition! Thanks for sharing!

86 lauren angert June 20, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Stunning photographs! They remind me of The Secret Garden… so magical.

87 Kate June 20, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Stunning, charming, playful! I know others have used these words in previous comments, but these were the same thoughts that came to my mind when I first saw your lovely photos. The photos themselves are works of art, but I think photo # 28 (the one with you and baby June) would look amazing as a portrait painted on canvas… by the artist who lives/works in your lovely home, perhaps?

88 stacey June 20, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Your family photos gave me goosebumps! How amazingly blessed you and each member of your family are! Lovely…

89 Jen June 20, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I am new to your blog, you have an absolutely beautiful family! The photos highlight that perfectly – I love the candids, what lovely moments captured.

90 Marta June 20, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I love the key you are wearing…and the flowers on the girls hair!

91 Christine June 20, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Very Lovely. French Grey’s? I can’t wait to hear more about that… It appears that you looked at the beautiful Stone pathway and just built around those colors… Stunning! Your blog is so uplifting, thank you for sharing your life’s experiences!

92 DebZorn June 20, 2011 at 6:11 pm

All of your photos are exquisite.

93 Kim June 20, 2011 at 6:31 pm

What a lovely family. Absolutely stunning!

94 Danielle B. June 20, 2011 at 6:49 pm

These are lovely! I adore the one of the girls in the grass and that one of Ralph against the white doors – could be an album cover!

95 Geneviève Brodeur June 20, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Une belle famille… Vous faites rêver :) Geneviève from Quebec City :)

96 Helen June 20, 2011 at 7:02 pm

BEAUTIFUL!! Love your oldest daughter’s whole look – her hair, accessories, and dress are stunning.

97 Erin June 20, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Stunning! The photography, composition, wardrobe and your family are all gorgeous. I am particularly fond of the graininess the black and white images have. There is something that makes them feel so timeless.

98 Monica June 20, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Oh my goodness, the one of all six kids in the treehouse: are you swooning? Amazing pictures, amazing kids!

99 Bri June 20, 2011 at 7:23 pm

I didn’t realize I’d been reading here so long. The kids are really growing! I love how Maude & Olive look like best friends in that last one. And the one of Betty with the pearl necklace is amazing. Beautiful family!!

100 rebecca June 20, 2011 at 7:37 pm

LOVE the little dresses!

101 melissa June 20, 2011 at 7:48 pm

beautiful!! they turned out just lovely!

Comments on this entry are closed.