Book of the Week: Parisian Chic

June 21, 2011

My book of the week picks are almost always for kids, but here’s one for the moms. I’m loving my copy of Parisian Chic. It’s by the French style icon, Ines de le Fressange — I mentioned her previously here. (And I attempted to copy her daughter’s fabulous haircut too!)

I don’t know that I’ll follow all her rules, but I like that she’s bold and opinionated. She says things like only a necklace OR earrings. Never both. What do you think? Do you like style rules? Or do they stress you out?

1 AmyC83 June 21, 2011 at 1:06 pm

That necklace/earrings rule has always been a strict one for me. Also, no bracelets/watches on the same hand as rings. I think I need this book!

2 Naomi June 21, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I’ve always lived by those rules, too! Passed down from mom…. so cool to see it in a book with ‘chic’ in the title!

3 sarah June 22, 2011 at 7:39 am

i used to follow that rule of earrings necklace until my mom got me a waxing poetic charm necklace this spring. now i wear it everyday unless i’m dressing up and then the rule is in effect again. and def no bracelets with ring. i think it’s just plain classy.

4 jessica June 21, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I am totally a necklace OR earrings person– but it’s just a personal preference. I feel too gaudy when I have more than one thing on, but I think it looks fine on other people.

5 Danyelle June 21, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I’m not much of a fashionista but have high hopes of feeling more confident about clothing choices + gaining more of a personal style. Baby steps, right? This sounds like just the kind of book I need.

6 Roxanna June 21, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I’ve been meaning to get that book. To answer your question, I don’t mind rules. How do you know which ones to break when you want to stand out?

7 Design Mom June 21, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I love your thinking, Roxanna!

8 nicky June 21, 2011 at 1:23 pm

if i am just wearing simple stud earrings then i don’t mind the look of them with a necklace. but if they are larger or more ornate earrings then i won’t wear a necklace.

9 elz June 21, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I don’t follow anyone else’s fashion rules. I tend to think that fashion is like art, it’s in the eye of the beholder (or wearer). Each person needs to figure out their personal style. Otherwise, it is just copycat dressing. I believe that your clothes should fit you and make you feel fabulous, everything else is just gravy. As for me, I wear necklaces AND earrings about 90% of the time. If one piece is really bold, then I will just wear that piece. I try to follow Coco Chanel’s advice- remove one accesosory/piece before you leave the house so as not to look like a crazy woman.

10 Design Mom June 21, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Coco Chanel is so fabulous. I wonder if Ines is like Coco reincarnated.

11 Meg June 21, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I bought this book after you mentioned it the first time. It was a fun read. Being a stay at home mom, it’s been easy to fall into a frumpy rut. This gave me a kick in the pants, and now I won’t wear my yoga pants out of the house anymore! BUT I do break her rule about leggings. Sometimes they’re just the perfect thing.

12 findingmagnolia June 21, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I prefer one or the other, but for some reason I feel like the bare holes in my ears look tacky. A friend who is a stylist told me that if you are wearing a necklace, it’s fine if you wear earrings that are very small and basically blend in. You just don’t want both a necklace and earrings that stand out.

13 mackenzie June 21, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Love this book. Makes me want to move to Paris. xoxo

14 mackenzie June 21, 2011 at 1:40 pm

PS- I totally dont follow that rule, and dont follow most in general. Gut instinct works best for me in most fashion matters… though you have to be willing to make mistakes.

15 Susan June 21, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Love this book…and whatever Ines says! :)

16 Erin June 21, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I thought the book was a fun read and I loved her comment that too much jewelry makes someone look like a Christmas tree. I would never had said it this way but it can be so true. I also like that several times in the book she says something about rules can sometimes be broken…

17 Gina vide June 21, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Ines is undeniably cool! Don’t like rules but if she’s passing out advise: maybe I should! Glad to hear you tip.
Plus: under magnifying glass, love the grey — flattering to you all & the clothes are not ” wearing” you! Vice versa! Beautiful!

18 Design Mom June 21, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Thanks, Gina! I was so pleased with how the greys turned out. I’m working on a source post now.

19 se7en June 21, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Oooh lovely!!! Looks like lots of eye candy to look at!!!

20 Design Mom June 21, 2011 at 2:55 pm

It’s great! Tons of illustrations/photos and some fabulous shopping recommendations too.

21 Freida June 21, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I love everything about Inès, so effortlessly chic, n’est-ce pas?

22 Ana June 21, 2011 at 4:25 pm

It looks beyond beautiful!

23 Jan @ Family Bites June 21, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I bought this after you last wrote about it and I love it. It’s my little style Bible now.

24 Linnea June 21, 2011 at 6:16 pm

best “jewel” in the world: a gentle and quiet spirit (1 Peter 3:4). but I still like wearing my pearl necklaces with their matching earrings. :o)

25 Zoe June 21, 2011 at 6:39 pm

I follow the jewelry rule… if dramatic earrings, no necklace; if dramatic necklace, no earrings (or just tiny studs). I like having fashion rules, so long as there’s room to break them when necessary!

26 dani June 21, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Whoa? No earrings? Like, none? See I have to wear earrings, it makes me mental seeing little holes in ears! I do agree that the earrings should be simple (ie studs) if paired with a necklace though. I’m very interested to read this book now. I’m pretty low key when it comes to fashion and accessorizing that’s why it makes me laugh that I’m actually breaking a rule. Ha!

27 Kholisa June 22, 2011 at 1:25 am

I bought this book after you first wrote about and I love it, my favourite bit is all the insider tips on where to shop, eat, sleep in Paris!

28 abigail June 22, 2011 at 3:35 am

LUV this book. Since becoming a mom in October ’10 and also turning 30 shortly there after, I have been a quest to revamp my wardrobe with classic basics- the theme- if I were to live abroad for 5-6 months, what would I pack. IE: the essentials that all intermix and help me to look like my best!

This book has some great guidelines for this, and I’ve been slowly gathering together my dream wardrobe. PLUS i love all the insider shopping tips and websites, they make me feel like I just got back from Paris and am in “the know”!

29 Sara June 22, 2011 at 8:56 am

Oh, I so need this book. Clueless! : )

Thanks for all your fun finds.

30 Stephanie @ henry happened June 22, 2011 at 10:01 am

I think a whole book of rules would totally stress me out! I just had a friend help me “shop” my closet last night & found it totally enlightening – so nice to get someone else’s perspective.

31 Jennifer June 22, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Style rules are fun to follow and even more fun to break. Of course it’s easy to overdo it but going against the flow can be very refreshing!

32 currystrumpet June 23, 2011 at 5:35 am

I’ve been wanting a copy of this book! I tend to wear pretty chunky accessories so it’s always necklace OR earrings for me. Lately though I’ve been enamored with necklaces so my earrings don’t get a lot of use.

33 Andrea June 23, 2011 at 10:08 am

Let’s see, right now I am wearing big hoop earrings, a necklace, a bracelet on each arm, a watch and a ring. I love my jewelry, and as a designer, it’s an important part of the way I express my artistic side. So I guess this is a rule I will continue to break. I do admire women who look effortlessly chic, but that’s just not me.

34 jodi June 24, 2011 at 10:33 am

i have this book! truly wonderful, fantastic pictures and drawings as well. a nice treat. xo

35 Sarah June 27, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Fashion rules are helpful to me. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to mix brown/tan clothing with black shoes for instance. And yes, the earrings or necklace is one I follow, however I didn’t know it was a “rule” I just always felt over done.

36 bdaiss June 29, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Must get this book… I admit, I’m a bit of a fashion clutz. Or maybe I should say I’m a rebel – I make my own rules. It usually doesn’t work out for the best…