A Few Things

June 24, 2011

La Cressonnière has a cherry tree (of course it does!) and I spent some time this afternoon filling a basket with cherry red happiness. I am still waiting to hear if Maude will be released from the hospital today. They just took her menu orders through the weekend, so I have my doubts. : (

6/26 UPDATE: Maude is home! She is still sick, but is getting stronger. She was released from the hospital last night and we’re so happy to have her here. Thank you again for all the well-wishes. You guys are wonderful!

While I wait for more news, here are a few things that are keeping me distracted:
- Do you have strong feelings about the color pink?
- Kitchens on wheels.
- Magnetic map.
- DIY flipflops.
- Wow! DNA is strong.
Simple cakes.
- Paper airport.

I also write for Babble. Here are my posts from this week:
- Best summertime snack I’ve ever seen.
- Your next picnic would be better with this.
- Will my fascination with these ever end?
- Do you love your city?
- Dying over this adorable book!

Have a wonderful weekend! I’ll try to check back in with any updates about Maude. Thank you so much for your well-wishes, prayers and kind words. They mean so much!

kisses,
Gabrielle

1 Ana June 24, 2011 at 8:02 am

Adorable things!

2 Design Mom June 24, 2011 at 8:06 am

Thanks, Ana!

3 Ashlea Walter June 24, 2011 at 8:12 am

Well wishes to Maude and a restful weekend to you too! Love the cherries – you must be about a month or so ahead of us. It’s like a little snippet of our future here in cherry country…

4 kate June 24, 2011 at 8:40 am

My thoughts are with you! I do hope Maude comes home soon to help you pick those lovely cherries.

5 Jenny June 24, 2011 at 8:43 am

Sending well wishes to Maude.

6 Amy June 24, 2011 at 8:46 am

I got my copy of Better Homes and Gardens and saw your many design tips included!

7 Ann June 24, 2011 at 8:52 am

Someone asked me the other day what my favorite color was and the first thing that popped into my head was that I like almost every color *except* pink. Good thing I’ve got two boys!

8 Lola G. June 24, 2011 at 8:56 am

How totally fabulous to be able to walk outside and pick a beautiful basket-ful of delicious cherries!

I’m hoping that your dear Maude will be back in the family fold as quick as can be — I’m just home from the hospital myself, and I know it’s hard on everyone. Hugs to all of you!

9 Paula J. June 24, 2011 at 9:16 am

Sending get-well vibes to Maude from across the pond. I’m sure those cherries will fix her right up.

10 Haydee June 24, 2011 at 9:59 am

I will not only pray for Maude’s quick recovery, but also peace of mind and strength for you and Ben to help the fam get through this together.

11 Lori C. June 24, 2011 at 10:15 am

I am praying and hoping that Maude will come home soon…best wishes to your family at this time.

I hosted a lovely diner en blanc at your aunt and uncle’s house:

12 Jenny P June 24, 2011 at 11:11 am

Love and well wishes to Maude!

That DNA photo project was FREAKY! It is really fascinating but the pictures make them look like accident victims.

13 The Woman Formerly Known as Beautiful June 24, 2011 at 11:40 am

Hello there! I would like to cheer you up with my cherry phobia. Every summer my parents would take my sister, brother and I cherry picking. It was a grand tradition and the resulting cherry pies were truly a highlight of those years. However, in one swift moment all that was torn asunder. I was thirteen and we were cherry picking with the Smiths who had two gorgeous boys around my age that made a rash break out on my “down there” because I was so nervously in love with them both and would hover just near enough to smell them, but never admit my love.

As I furtively gazed at their beautiful cherry-picking muscles glinting in the sunlight I felt a strange sensation in the lower intestines. Every year, as we picked, we also stuffed an equal amount of the sweet cherries into our gaping maws. But there’d never been any repercussions. But on this day, the one day the dreamy Smith boys were with us, my bowels rebelled.

I ran quickly to my mom, asking if she knew where the bathroom was. She informed me the bathroom was all the way back at the owner’s house a good mile away. My bowels didn’t have a mile in ‘em. I panicked, what should I do? She told me to go hide and squat behind some trees. I had no choice.

I tried to find the biggest, densest tree that would obscure my shame. I pulled my pants off squatted down and God, help me, shat upon the ground. Relief. Until I realize I don’t have any toilet paper. This is bad. I like to have a butthole you could eat supper off of. What to do? What to do?

I’ll tell you what I did. I wiped my bottom with leaves. And as I was doing so the oldest Smith boy appeared and caught me in the act. I died. I was resurrected five years later at the age of 18 when I finally decided to get over it. However, I haven’t eaten a cherry ever since.

14 Zoe June 24, 2011 at 11:49 am

Not much of a pink person… but I like to wear certain shades of it occasionally.

What I do love, though, are cherries! And those are beautiful.

Continued prayers for Maude…

15 Sharlene June 24, 2011 at 11:52 am

Prayers and good thoughts for Maude and your entire family. I know it’s a stressful time, but hang in there. It will be OK.

I have really enjoyed all your hard work here, while waiting for Maude to get better and come home.

My grandmother’s name is Maude, so somehow I feel connected to your Maude. Hugs!!

16 Emily R. June 24, 2011 at 11:59 am

I’m sorry to hear about Maude. We will be sending all of our happy thoughts and prayers your way this week.

17 Melisa/Shiny Brite June 24, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Sending good thoughts your way and hoping Maude will be able to come home soon!

18 Kim Mroch June 24, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I was already envious of your wonderful home in France. Now that I know there are cherries, I have total house lust! Hope Maude’s home soon!

19 r8chel June 24, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Gabrielle, your pictures of cherries are gorgeous. I hope you have a good weekend… hopefully with your Mimi at home.

20 Genevieve June 24, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Love the pink shade in the bedroom, the magnetic map, and the flip-flop idea! I hope Maude feels better soon!

21 Petra Morvay June 24, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I hope Maude gets well soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

22 Courtney June 24, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I remember cherry picking in Germany- by far one of my favorite memories. How wonderful to have a cherry tree right there!

Hope Maude feels better soon!!

23 tara June 24, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Rainier cherries should be ready soon… this makes me happy!

24 Beth June 24, 2011 at 6:45 pm

My 2 y.o. niece picked up a nasty case of pneumonia while visiting her family in Spain earlier this year. She required transfusions, they needed to drain shocking amounts of puss from her lungs, it was very touch and go for several days–and she survived. She is fine today, although still considered susceptible to lung infections, and will be monitored through high school. She was in the hospital for 12 very long days–it takes a while to kick it. I know Maude will pull through as well. At least she is in France where perhaps hospital food isn’t quite so grim?

25 Allison June 24, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Happy vibes to Maude… And to all of you who miss her so!

26 Marta June 24, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I Just love love the Flip-flops Project!

27 Sarah June 24, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Lots of love and prayers to Maude and you! Take good care of yourself, too!

28 Gina vide June 25, 2011 at 3:54 am

Thoughts and wishes

29 Joyful Imperfection June 25, 2011 at 9:09 am

Saw your tips in BHG last night, very cool place to be featured!

30 kpriss June 25, 2011 at 9:56 am

Awww sweetheart! I so understand you! Our dear little girl fell with fever five days ago – three days she was more sleeping than anything else, couldn’t eat, couldn’t do anything because of her fever. Couldn’t locate the virus so we went ahead and medicated her against the infection, wherever it may have hidden, completely frightened because of what you said about Maude. She’s well now.

Hoping Maude is too, our prayers go out for you :*

31 dar June 25, 2011 at 10:34 am

I just wanted you to know that i prayed for Maude’s speedy recovery.

32 kim June 25, 2011 at 8:03 pm

jealous! i just showed my husband the cherry photos and said, “you know the family that moved to france – the ones with the cool treehouse!? well, they have a cherry tree.” and he said (without having read your commentary), “of course they do.” haha. oh NO! i missed the post about maude. will check asap. praying she is feeling better/healing!

33 kim June 25, 2011 at 8:33 pm

p.s. the “do you love your city?” link reminded me of THIS…
i bet she’d make more. my friend has one, and it’s even better in person!

34 Erin C. June 25, 2011 at 10:12 pm

oh my! that pink bedroom! I would have DIED to have that room when I was little I had to settle for pink curtains and bedding since my mom wouldn’t let me paint my room pink.
So now I have Hot Pink hair. hmmmm.

35 Lisa June 26, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I am saying a prayer for Maude that she recovers quickly and is home with you all even more quickly. Also saying a prayer for you, as you worry about her.

36 LH June 26, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I’ve been a reader for a while but have never left you a comment before! Anyway, believe it or not my family lived in France for a year when I was 7, and I wanted to make sure you’d heard of the “Martine” books. If not, it might be worth trying to track one down as a get-well present for Maude. I remember loving the pictures and learning lots of new French vocabulary by reading them. We bought them at a village-wide rummage sale in St Vincent de Crasmenil which is probably not too far from you (I highly recommend their restaurant if you are ever driving near there!) Hope she’s all better soon!

37 the emily June 26, 2011 at 6:54 pm

That first cherry picture is gorgeous! We had cherry trees at my house growing up in Albuquerque and cherries will forever remind me of summer–climbing up trees to pick the best ones, cherry juice all over my shirt, and neighbors coming with ladders to pick. So fun.

so glad Maude is home! I hope she’s getting better each minute.

38 Dina June 26, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Wonderful news that Maude is home safe and sound and recovering. Poor thing!

39 lmc June 26, 2011 at 7:31 pm

So happy to hear Maude is home!!!! I’ve been checking for updates all weekend! :)

40 Kristen Duke Photography June 26, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I LOVE cherries, how fun to have a tree!

41 Miss Stovetop June 26, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Thanks for the update on Maude! Am sure she’ll be up and about in no time :)

42 Shannon@amomsyear June 27, 2011 at 7:04 am

So happy to hear Maude is home and doing well. God’s in His heaven and all’s right with the world.

43 Robin June 27, 2011 at 7:15 am

I’m so happy to hear the wonderful news that Maude is home. Love to her and all of you.

44 Christina June 27, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I’m behind on blog reading… didn’t know Maude was in the hospital. Happy to hear she is home and I hope she’s feeling back to herself soon!!

45 Alissa June 27, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I just got back from a blog break- I am sorry that Maude was sick- that is so frightening. But I am so glad that she is doing better. She is lucky to be able to come home to such a great family.

46 Lucie June 27, 2011 at 6:23 pm

So happy to hear Maude is home! I hope she is feeling better by the minute :)