A Few Things

June 10, 2011

Hello Friends! I think you are going to laugh at me because I’m headed back to Paris today. That’s 3 weekends in a row. Ridiculous! But this time it’s extra special — it’s a weekend just for me and Ben Blair. Can you even imagine?!

It will be our first time away sans kids in ages. Long since before Baby June was born. It’s always nerve-wracking to leave our children, but I think taking these sorts of weekends away are one of the reasons I’m madly in love with Ben Blair.

Happily, I know the kids will be in good hands. Jordan & Paul + the Ferney Grandparents are coming to see the sights here in Normandy and will be taking care of all the kids too. We’ll be staying at Jordan’s Paris apartment and plan to sleep late and eat well.

While I pack my bag, here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share with you:
- This adorable DIY nursery is actually doable.
- Another idea for all those yogurt cups.
- Who knew? Bradley Cooper speaking French. via Kacy.
- Sprinkles.
- This sparks a million ideas.
- Megaphone.
- Just to make you happy.

I also write for Babble. Here are this week’s posts:
- Japanese companies always come up with the coolest things.
- The next generation of wooden blocks. I think my kids would go nuts for these!
- You’re going to buy this anyway, it might as well be gorgeous.
- Textiles with hand-block printing are my weakness.
- One of my very favorite design houses is having a birthday!

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — Do you like the photo? I snapped it with my phone on our way back from Roland Garros. Our taxi had a huge sunroof!

1 wishful nals June 10, 2011 at 6:05 am

sounds wonderful and so romantic. enjoy every minute!

2 Dina June 10, 2011 at 6:11 am

Bon voyage, have a wonderful weekend you two!
Silly question, but what shoes are you planning to bring to be comfy wearing throughout Paris? I am having a dilema figuring out what to bring for our upcoming trip (most of it will be spent in Normandie and Bretagne with our family for my SIL’s wedding, but my beau and I will have 4 precious days sans bebe in Paris). I know your sis probably has this covered because I am taking a lot of her recommendations for our trip, but our Parisien friend just gave us several local addresses for cool, hip restos and bars-one of them is actually Mama Shelter! If you’d like the list, please let me know and I’ll forward his email on to you!

3 Amy June 10, 2011 at 6:29 am

Oh la la a couple in love on the city of love enjoy!

4 Denise Laborde June 10, 2011 at 6:36 am

We call these “wese” : weekend sans enfants! Very important indeed. Have a great time :)

Bises,
D

5 Ana June 10, 2011 at 6:37 am

You know I love links and stories so here I smitten with this!

6 Sandra Gonzales June 10, 2011 at 7:04 am

Ooooh!! I love weekends filled with hugs, kisses, and hand holding.

7 Genevieve Gibson June 10, 2011 at 7:24 am

LOVE the picture! Have a great weekend!

8 Kelly@TearingUpHouses June 10, 2011 at 7:36 am

you lucky girl!!! enjoy!

kelly

9 Danielle June 10, 2011 at 7:40 am

How wonderful! Have a fabulous weekend!

10 Giulia June 10, 2011 at 7:41 am

Have fun! And Paris is the perfect place for a romantic getaway. I miss those, have not had one weekend away from kids in 4 years ;(

11 Catherine at Design Editor June 10, 2011 at 7:41 am

Have an absolutely fabulous weekend-you both deserve it!

Thanks for another shout out! You’re the best. For reals.

12 ellen van manen-de boer June 10, 2011 at 7:48 am

gabrielle
I noticed on your sisters site that’s she lives just around the corner of the rue st.dominique. I always have dinner at the “fontaine de mars” restaurant on her side of the rue st.dominique, or at “thoumieux” at the other side. both très français and affordable which is always nice in paris
have a wonderful weekend, I’ll be doing this in two weeks, cannot wait, and thank heaven for grandparents!!
ellen

13 Alicia W. June 10, 2011 at 9:09 am

Have a lovely time! That is one thing my husband and I have tried to do about once a year…a little (or big) getaway without the kids. Ours is coming up at the end of the month and I can’t wait to have him to myself for a few days! I can only imagine having a getaway to Paris…maybe someday. :)

14 Whitney Smith Cripe June 10, 2011 at 9:11 am

Gabrielle – Enjoy your weekend and try to go eat at Cafe Constant or Les Cocottes – if you have time :) Enjoy every second. By the way (and I am a VERY happily married lady) the Bradley Cooper clip made me weak. in. the. knees. :) thanks for that!

15 Design Mom June 14, 2011 at 3:41 am

So fun! We ate Cafe Constant our first night. I think it was my favorite meal of the trip.

16 Corrie Anne June 10, 2011 at 9:21 am

SO FUN! I hope you enjoy your weekend with your honey s-o much!!!!

17 kpriss June 10, 2011 at 9:35 am

Awwww!!! Que c’est joli! Un weekend sans enfants just for you and you husband! Priceless! Have an amazing time you two! (we’re 6 days away from our first weekend sans enfants in almost a year! ah, the dream!)

PS – the photo is magnifique! The angle! Parfait!

18 se7en June 10, 2011 at 11:01 am

Oh I wish our VW was in such good shape!!! We have an ancient, once was rusty one… we love it because we have to… and only ever say very sweet things to it, just to get over the next hill. Eventually it is going to just stop and say: ENOUGH!!! Enjoy your weekend – hope it is fab!!!

19 Dee June 10, 2011 at 11:07 am

Have a wonderful time! I’ve had a crush on Bradley Cooper since Alias. <3 The circle mobile in that nursery looks like a good weekend project. I'm trying to spruce up the space above my babe's crib! That VW van is my dream car. Seriously, every time one goes by, the kids point it out to me. ;-)

20 The Woman Formerly Known as Beautiful June 10, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I just saw Woody Allen’s “Midnight in Paris.” I ache now for Paris like I once used to ache for Donny Osmond. It actually hurts my vulva.

21 theScandinavianmum June 10, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Love the pic! Amazing! Happy Weekend!

22 Linnea June 10, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Hooray for a date weekend! I’m sure it’s a much-deserved break.

The stamped cookies are gorgeous! I’m saving Country Living’s “springerle” recipe to try this myself… thanks for sharing!

23 Susan June 10, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Enjoy your romantic weekend…doesn’t get any better than in Paris!

24 jan June 10, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Your weekend sounds dreamy! I know how you feel. Have fun and thanks for the link! I love those glass yogurt jars in France!!! Good idea!

25 Jess (Where My Heart Is) June 10, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Have a wonderful weekend. There is nothing more magical (in my opinion) than being in Paris with your partner. My husband and I spent a childless week there in mid-Dec and are returning again in October.

26 Marta June 10, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Enjoy your get away! and pretend you are in a fantastic honey moon! in Paris!

27 Debra Turner June 11, 2011 at 10:12 am

I love Paris and would use any excuse to get back there. Lucky you : )

28 kristina@beancakes June 12, 2011 at 7:50 am

a taxi with a moon roof? wow! awesome! love it!
xo~ kristina

29 Sara June 12, 2011 at 1:53 pm

SO excited for you and Ben Blair!! I’m sure you are having an amazing weekend together! Can’t wait to read your posts about it!

30 b June 12, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Watching you on House Hunters International right now!

31 Kacie June 12, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Crazy!!! You are on House Hunters Int!!! So, cool to see the people behind the blogs I follow!!

32 Jessica F. June 12, 2011 at 9:04 pm

So I’m watching HGTV and then all of a sudden an episode titled “Historic Country Homes in Normandy” starts and it’s you and your family! It’s been so much fun following your adventures in pictures, but it was even more fun watching you “live” and hearing your thoughts while walking through the space. I’m so happy you found that house, it’s perfection. J’aime la famille Blair!

33 Heather C. June 12, 2011 at 11:36 pm

I’m up late on a sunday night watchinhg hgtv and what comes on? House Hunters International!!! Looks like I’m staying up even later so I can watch your episode, so cool!

34 Jennifer June 12, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Lurker here! :-) Just wanted to drop a note to tell you I’m another reader watching your House Hunters International episode right now! LOL! Love your blog and love, love, love living vicariously through your family in France! Best wishes!

35 Jennie June 12, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Just caught you on HGTV! I was so excited to see more of your adventures. It was fun to see you and your family in action. Great show, wonderful house, and such a fantastic family you have!!! Thanks for allowing so many of us to have a peek into your fun adventures. All the best!

36 Blessing June 13, 2011 at 5:25 am

I saw you last night on HGTV!!!! You guys looks more awesome on TV!

37 appletree June 13, 2011 at 5:44 am

I found you last week due to your sister’s amazing giveaway, then saw you last night on House Hunters in one of those weird moments when you hear something for the first time but then realize it’s everywhere and how were you missing it.

Love your blog and the fact that you took 6 kids to Normandy to live. You’ve got balls.

38 Janan W June 13, 2011 at 6:02 am

Getaways are the best. Maybe I’m way behind, but I was flipping through channels this evening and happened upon a favorite show already in progress. I was pleased to see a family looking for a house in France, but then even more suprised to realize it was YOUR family! What fun, and what a fun way to see more of your home and family. I loved it….that’s all. ;)

39 Julie June 13, 2011 at 6:38 am

I saw your family on House Hunters International last night too!!! I was so excited I had to call my husband in from the other room. :) What a lovely family you have and good choice on the house. Now I know why the video cameras were at your home. ;)

40 Christina Elaine June 13, 2011 at 6:40 am

OMG.. have a wonderful trip I hope it is very relaxing…

xx
CEO

41 Tina June 13, 2011 at 6:42 am

Me too! Just saw you and your family on HGTV last night! It was a bit surreal.

42 lainakay June 13, 2011 at 7:58 am

I just saw your family on HGTV, too. Such a fun episode. Spectacular houses! I thought you found the house you’re renting online and that you and the children didn’t see it until the day you moved in. I must be confused?

43 Deborah June 13, 2011 at 10:01 am

I was very excited to see all the lovely homes you looked at in Normandy on House Hunters International. We love to watch the shows and what a bonus to see you and your family last night!

44 Lindsey June 13, 2011 at 11:36 am

I saw you and your cute family on House Hunters International last night! I was so suprised! It was way fun, I felt like I knew you all :) I love the house you chose too, it was my favorite of the three, for sure. Although house #2 was incredibly tempting- i didn’t know you could even buy places like that anymoer! My daydream of buying an old house in paris has been reborn, thank you!

xo
Lindsey

45 Arbine June 13, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I saw that Sprinkles post by You Are My Fave yesterday and now I really want buy big jars of sprinkles to have at home. Oh and some time without the kids in Paris sounds fabulous. Totally jealous. :p

46 Bridgette June 13, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Saw you last night on House Hunters!

47 Kristen Duke Photography June 13, 2011 at 7:08 pm

LOVE the cookie stamping!!!

48 Heartsong June 13, 2011 at 9:35 pm

The cookie stamping is a great idea! My grandson is having his second birthday in two weeks and this gives me all sorts of ideas. Thanks!

49 Design Mom June 14, 2011 at 3:40 am

Thank you for the kind comments about our weekend getaway. It was relaxing and laid back and just right. You guys are the sweetest!

50 Treva June 17, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Bradley Cooper speaking French? Yum yum.