A Few Things

June 3, 2011

Hello, Friends! Did you have a good week? I can hardly believe it’s already June. Our kids don’t get out of school until the very end of the month. How about you — has summer vacation already arrived?

Totally unrelated to summer vacation, I was editing photos last night and found the image above. I took it in Sweden when Jordan and I stopped for dessert at Prinsen. I swear the cake was a foot high! Of course we had to order a slice. When the server brought it to our table, it looked so good, the restaurant goers around us ordered slices too. : )

While my mouth waters at the memory, here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share with you:
- Have you ever painted a door?
- Stylish turban how-to
- Airplane party
Mod drinking glasses DIY
- A comfy nursery I profiled on Inspiration Scout
- Summer book swap
- Paperdolls for a cause
Bunk bed rooms

I also write for Babble. Here are this week’s posts:
- Are these cards too cool for Dads?
- Made from vintage book pages.
- Would love to see my kids in these.
- What a cute theme for a party!
- Did you have a baby registry? This is brilliant.

Have a terrific weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

1 Destri June 3, 2011 at 6:42 am

Oh, I loved Sweden. I don’t know what I was expecting, but it was so much better than I had imagined it would be. It’s beautiful there!
Have a wonderful weekend!

2 Ashlea Walter June 3, 2011 at 7:01 am

One thing that I love about you living across the Big Pond is that I get to read A Few Things on Friday mornings with coffee in hand. It’s the best timing! What will I do when you return to an earlier time zone again? Sigh.

Have a great weekend with your lovelies!

3 Design Mom June 3, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Glad to oblige, Ashlea. : )

4 Ana June 3, 2011 at 7:35 am

I always enjoy your links, thank you! and that photo. Stunning!

5 Marina {Yummy Mummy} June 3, 2011 at 8:12 am

That cake is stunning. I want to whip up some meringue and get out my kitchen torch immediately!

6 Design Mom June 3, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Do it! And then send a whiff of it my way please. : )

7 joanna June 3, 2011 at 8:18 am

I want a slice of that cake. The photo is awesome too! have a great weekend.

8 Sara June 3, 2011 at 8:27 am

As always, love taking a few minutes to peruse your links for the week!

I love painted doors…love, love, love them! In our (1930) house, we have gorgeous wood doors that I would never paint, but our back door (in the new addition) is a terracotta orange and our front door is a grass green that I love with the brick. I can’t wait to have a client who I can advise to paint their interior doors ;).

I’m also totally copying those turban ideas. Now I just need a European scarf-tying tutorial before we depart for the summer :)!

9 Design Mom June 3, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I want to copy those turbans too! And I love the idea of a Euro scarf tutorial. Brilliant!

10 Shelley (EvenAndy) June 3, 2011 at 9:34 am

I want 2 slices of the cake, please! I can not believe that this week has gone by so fast too! I am still in vacation mode and gradually getting back to the swing of things.

Have a wonderful weekend!

11 Laura June 3, 2011 at 11:02 am

That airplane party was cute…but the part where she ripped of my invitation design, not so much.

12 Design Mom June 3, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Hi Laura! I didn’t see invitations on the party post. I hope you’ll include a link to your invitations here in the comments. I’d love to check them out!

13 Laura June 3, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Hi Gabrielle…
After clicking your link this morning I saw this…
Funny my design was actually featured today on Hip Hip Hooray…they featured my new shop, Little Frills paper + goods, where you can buy them. http://www.littlefrills.bigcartel.com
Thank you for your time!
Laura

14 Giulia June 3, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Laura,
I don’t know exactly when your party was, but this one was featured April 1st and also uses that type of invite. I think people tend to go in that direction not necessarily ripping off someones idea. Congratulations on your mention this morning, indeed a lovely party you had for your little guy.

15 Bettijo @ Paging Supermom June 4, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Hi Laura, Did you see that she credited the invites to you in her post?

16 Laura June 5, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I did…still a bit disappointed, but what can you do? Thank you for your sweet comment over on HHH.

17 Cari June 3, 2011 at 11:58 am

every week I look forward to “a few things” and I love that your links open a new window instead of navigating away from Design Mom. Thanks for being such an inspiration!

18 Nicole June 3, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I LOVE the bunk rooms. When I lived in Sweden one of my friend’s summer cottages had a pair of bunk beds built into the wall of a wide hallway. The beds had curtains like on a ship or a sleeping compartment on a train. I thought it was a classic example of great space-conscious Scandinavian design. When there weren’t overflow guests, it was the most wonderful reading nook and play forts for the children. And now I’m rethinking the colors of all my interior doors….

19 The Woman Formerly Known as Beautiful June 3, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I want to bathe in that pie, use the merengue as shaving cream for my legs, slather it on my face as an antioxidant, expunge tooth plaque with its lemony curd, pray to it for sustenance and finally – eat it off my husband’s …. (I’ll leave the rest to your imagination). Have a lovely weekend lovely lady.

20 Sarah June 4, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Thank you.That yellow door is inspiring! It would look great in our place. We have already painted our kitchen door with blackboard paint, which is incredibly useful and cool.

21 Bettijo @ Paging Supermom June 4, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Adorable Airplane party. I’m working on a Map/License plate party for my Superdad’s 35th birthday. That party had some fun inspiration right along those lines. Thanks for sharing!! –bettijo

P.S. that cake does look SO good, and I love the cake stand it’s on. I recently wrote a list of the Top 10 Reasons to Buy a Stainless Steel Cake Stand (I own several!): http://www.supermommoments.com/2011/04/10-reasons-buy-stainless-steel-cake-stand/

22 Marta June 4, 2011 at 7:11 pm

That cake looks so yummy!

23 Dina June 5, 2011 at 3:24 pm

This is a random, off-topic question, but I was wondering if you have come across any French (mom and/or design) blogs that you enjoy? I’d like to add some to my daily reads. Merci mille fois!

24 jen June 5, 2011 at 5:50 pm

that picture of the cake has given me so much inspiration!!! might have to make a version myself. thanks for all the inspiration as always!!!
ps: what was the flavour? seems lemony but am being pulled in the direction of coconut.

25 Shay June 7, 2011 at 12:19 pm

What was the cake’s flavor? I love merengue and would love to try to recreate it!

26 Britt June 7, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Thank you so much for including my bunk beds post! I always love seeing what you’ve found in your “A Few Things” posts, so it was such a fun surprise to click on the link and be taken to my blog. Thanks for making my day :)

27 Anneliese June 9, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Great turban how-to! I think it’s a great option to try for my long thick hair–I need a new way to tame it! Speaking of hair i’d love to get your take on something new I’m trying: crochet kerchiefs! Kitschy or cute? I think they may be both… http://www.aestheticnest.com/2011/06/crochet-simple-kerchief-tutorial.html and http://www.aestheticnest.com/2011/06/crochet-not-so-simple-kerchief-tutorial.html Hope you are headed toward a good weekend. Wish I could find some almond croissants nearby…