Weaning June

May 26, 2011

Not long ago, June said goodbye to nursing.

This was the 6th baby I’ve weaned, so it wasn’t too shocking to me. My body stops producing a lot of milk around the baby’s first birthday and my babies have each let me know — in subtle and not-so-subtle ways — that nursing was no longer as compelling as other food sources. : )

I’m not a very sentimental person. My sister said she think my brain works like a man’s, more practical and problem-solving. And I think she’s right. But I felt very emotional when I realized June was giving up on nursing. (I’m starting to cry right this minute as I think about it.)

I kept trying to really pay attention during those last few nursing sessions — not knowing which would be the final one. I watched her little curling fingers and felt her little tummy against mine. I kept thinking I should ask Ben Blair to take a picture so I would have a record of it — but then I couldn’t bring myself to interrupt the sweet moment. (Dang! I wish I had a photo.)

It’s hard to imagine I won’t nurse a baby again. So strange. And the funny thing is, nursing isn’t even something I adore. I’ve nursed all my babies, but if I hadn’t been able to, I don’t think I would have minded much at all. I guess that’s why I’ve been thrown off by this emotional reaction to weaning June.

Maybe it’s something about feeling like it’s the end of an era for me.

What do you think? What is weaning like for you?

P.S. — I snapped these photos of June on her first birthday, right after we cleaned all the lemon tart from her hair.

1 Jessica May 26, 2011 at 5:17 am

ah, la “giraffe sophie” as a birthday guest. my boys loved it too.

2 Design Mom May 26, 2011 at 5:45 am

I’m not sure if you can move to France and not buy Sophie the Giraffe. It’s like an unwritten law. : )

3 Cari May 26, 2011 at 5:29 am

Thinking of you and sending love! I can tell you I definitely go through blues when I nurse. Worse than postpartum. Good for you for nursing six for each a year! WOW!

4 Design Mom May 26, 2011 at 5:47 am

I should clarify my exception: Maude nursed for 6 months. She would have nursed longer, but my body stopped making milk. I blame it on stress, but who knows?

5 Nick May 26, 2011 at 5:35 am

I nursed my first 2 children for 13 and 14 months but the third for only 11 since she got thrush in her mouth and it was too painful, by the time she had recovered she wanted nothing to do with nursing and I had dried off cold turkey!!! It really upset me but my mother who only bottle fed couldnt understand it at all.
I knew I wasnt having any more children so it was a bittersweet end to that part of parenting.

6 "Fiona C-G May 26, 2011 at 5:38 am

I remember crying and feeling so sad when my oldest daughter wanted to stopped breast feeding – I even called my husband at work, almost hoping he could get her to want more – how weird was that!!!

My next she needed more than I could give her so it seemed just natural and ok!! We still had special times together when she fed from her bottle!!

And with my 3 year old twin boys, I feel soooo sad, I can hardly even remember the end of feeding them (they were nearly a year – how I did that I don’t know!!!). I do remember their joy in biting me – so maybe it seemed just perfect timing!!!

It is the most special thing you can do – a bond that no one else can know – so it is no wonder you are feeling so emotional!!! X

7 The New Diplomats Wife May 26, 2011 at 5:41 am

I hear you. We’re just approaching the introduction of solid food at 6 months, which shouldn’t be a big deal and should be very exciting. I’ve got that same kind of brain, and yet can’t help but thinking that this is just another step towards the direction of my daughter needing me just a little bit less. But I’d like to console myself in thinking she’ll love me just a little bit more for it.

8 Design Mom May 26, 2011 at 5:49 am

Growth is so bittersweet!

9 Mary May 26, 2011 at 5:44 am

I think it is called “living in the moment.” You have been given a wonderful gift (six children to nurse), a powerful one, and you are in the moment enough to recognize its value. So it is a happy-sad moment. I look at my four now adult children and can hardly remember the days I nursed them all (12-18mos), but I am very glad I did.

10 Lisa (Baby Loves to Travel) May 26, 2011 at 5:54 am

As someone who has been nursing for 2 years straight now and recently moved from toddler straight to newborn (and sometimes back to toddler again), this little piece tugged at my heartstrings. Whether you enjoy nursing or not, there is something miraculous about being able to nourish your children and help them grow. You’ve done a marvellous job to nurse 6 babies!

11 kate May 28, 2011 at 11:12 pm

well said!

12 twirling betty May 26, 2011 at 5:59 am

Ah, that bit about her little tummy on yours…brought it all flooding back. Emotional or not, I think you’d have to be an automaton not to be moved by the very end of nourishing your babes. But on the positive side, hooray for having your boobs back for yourself!

13 MrsF May 26, 2011 at 6:00 am

First of all, a shout out to Sophie (also a favourite in the UK) – my daughter just loves her and probably wouldn’t have survived teething without her so, “Yay for Sophie!!!”

My daughter’s still breastfeeding at 14 months but only at bedtime and whenever she awakes during the night. She’s my first so I’m hardly an authority on when and how to stop but I do generally follow her lead.

I always knew I’d breastfeed but I never dreamed I’d still be going strong 14 months later! I’ve loved every minute of it and I’ll definitely miss doing it and have that whole end-of-an-era feeling just as you do (I too have considered taking a photo for posterity, Gabrielle!). Trouble is, we’re planning on having another baby quite soon ……………..

Anyone ever breastfed while pregnant? Eeeeek! :O

14 amy May 26, 2011 at 6:45 am

I nursed while pregnant. This is actually how I found out I was pregnant with number 2. I hadn’t yet had a period after my first, and just assumed I wasn’t ovulating. One day it became somewhat uncomfortable to latch on my baby. And it would not go away. I thought it was thrush or something, so I went to the doctor. Pregnancy never even crossed my mind! So the doc obviously saw I didn’t have thrush, asked if I could possibly be pregnant–I told him the situation, and he just laughed. Took a test, and yep. My first two are 17 months apart. I continued nursing for a few more months, until I was about 20 weeks. I didn’t have any problems, just make sure you are eating plenty good, nutritious food!

15 hyzen May 26, 2011 at 10:43 am

I’ve heard of many people who breastfed while pregnant. As long as you are getting enough nutrition, it is fine. I expected to continue nursing my daughter when I became pregnant with my second child, but my milk pretty much dried up towards the end of my 1st trimester. My daughter was about 20 months at that point, though, so it was fine time for her to wean, and neither of us had a hard time with it.

16 Allie May 26, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I also breastfed my first til I was 5 months pregnant with my second. She was easy to wean at that point. She was 20 months old.

17 Kate May 26, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I nursed all the way through my second pregnancy (then tandem-nursed the toddler and newborn for 6 months) and then nursed most of the way through pregnancies #3 and #4. Most of my friends do as well (amounting to dozens and dozens of pregnancies! :) ), and it’s not a concern unless one has issues with pre-term labor, in which case the nipple stimulation of nursing triggers labor. You’ll do fine nutritionally as long as you’re not starving yourself. My nurslings and babies in utero somehow managed to thrive even during my first trimester I-can-only-bring-myself-to-eat-Doritoes-and-soda episodes! :)

18 Lindsay May 26, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I nursed my son all the way through my pregnancy. It was a bit uncomfortable, and the milk was mostly gone by around five mos. He kept nursing twice a day for a few minutes. U was basically too lazy to go through the hassle of weaning him! Now I have two nurselings and it’s awesome. I thought it would be harder but my son is three now and still only nurses five min at wak-up and at bedtime so he doesn’t I teeters with the baby too much.

19 Eliza May 31, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I nursed for 3 months while pregnant. My son was 15 months old and I was just entering my second trimester when he decided he was done. It wasn’t a big deal for him at all, and not a huge deal for me either since I had another baby on the way. My second baby I struggled and struggled to nurse and we had lots of tearful moments–my theory is that I didn’t get enough rest or fluids or nutritious food with two little ones at home and my milk production suffered. I made it to a year with her by the skin of my teeth. By then she was completely done with that drama and never looked back.

I’m expecting my third any day now and am wondering what nursing him or her will be like. A piece of cake and mutually enjoyable with a pleasant ending, like it was with my son? Or way too wrought with emotions and frustration like it was with my daughter? I’m hoping I’ll be better this time at taking care of myself so that it will be a better experience for everyone.

Nursing can be wonderful; even if it is difficult or you have to end sooner than you’d like, it is still satisfying to know that you are giving what only you can give. Of course, as someone said, feeding your baby a bottle is also a very sweet experience. Either way they grow up, feed themselves, cross all kinds of bridges without you and I would imagine that weaning your last child would carry all the emotions and symbolism of that fact.

20 Alana May 26, 2011 at 6:01 am

Funny, I wrote a post about my second child weaning but I was too emotional to publish it. I nursed both of my babies and with my son it was no easy feat since at the age of 6 months we discovered he had food allergies. I immediately began a non-dairy and egg-free diet. It would have made sense that 7 months later when it was time to wean I would have been over the moon to break my “fast” and yet there I was holding him and crying. (Even after I stopped I couldn’t look at milk or eggs and still don’t eat them to the degree I once did). Even though I too don’t consider nursing one of my favorite things it is definitely one of my greatest accomplishments. To know that I alone was granted the miraculous ability to nourish and sustain my child with no external help is pretty awe inspiring. I think weaning was the realization that I had made it and now my baby didn’t just need my nourishment, making him vulnerable to the world. I realize writing this that I was not upset emotionally, I was proud (and probably a little hungry!).

21 kim May 26, 2011 at 6:04 am

Oh, Gabby, please be gentle with yourself during this time and marvel at the beautiful baby you have nourished.

My first I nursed to 18 months — my milk supply dwindled during pregnancy — and my daughter decided she’d rather have a book read to her instead. :) My son was nursed until about a year when I started getting the “creepy crawlies”. Ultimately, I am left with a not-so-sweet memory of our nursing time together and how it ended.

22 sarah May 26, 2011 at 6:28 am

i can definitely relate to your feelings…despite some huge differences (i’m in a somewhat extended weaning situation with my first baby, a boy, and am normally a very emotional person about everything). the fact that so many very different people know exactly what you’re going through probably speaks to some universal truths about nursing and the nursing process. nursing was difficult for me at first, because it was so painful. it took a long time to be comfortable. then i really enjoyed it for a while. sometime after he turned 1 we introduced cow’s milk, and i weaned him to the point where i wouldn’t have to pump during the day (so only nursing first thing in the morning and before bed at night). now he’s 14 mo and we’re even cutting back at night, allowing my husband to spend quiet time with him before bed so that he gets used to different people putting him down. honestly, i think i’m done since i’m not enjoying it as much as i used to. but every time i start to convince myself that it’s time to cut out these final feedings (that he doesn’t seem to really care much about, either way), i get emotional and decide to keep them…just a little longer :)

23 Kathy May 26, 2011 at 6:30 am

I remember weaning my last of my five babies. It was bittersweet. I loved nursing my kiddos. Such sweet, precious times with them. God’s design is amazing, isn’t it?

24 christy May 26, 2011 at 6:42 am

I know what you mean – I’m pregnant with our third, and last child, and I sort of get choked up thinking that this will be last time being pregnant – even though I KNOW that’s what I/we want – so I’m really trying to enjoy each day as it comes. :)

June is adorable!

25 Anne May 26, 2011 at 6:43 am

Weaning my third and last was so hard for me too and I felt the same way about nursing you did. I think it’s because with every milestone if the last milestone with ‘the baby’. Pallas is turning three this summer and I dutifully cleaned out more baby clothes yesterday, crying as I handed them over to be donated even as I celebrated my thriving, beautiful girls.

26 Boston Mamas May 26, 2011 at 6:47 am

Oh G, this made me all teary. And funny enough, this morning at breakfast Laurel was just asking me to tell her the story about her self-weaning (she said, “No! Blueberries please!” when she was done).

This makes me think I should try to get some pictures of me nursing little Vi…

27 kristin May 26, 2011 at 6:56 am

my 3 kids have told me when they are ready to stop nursing a bit before the year mark, & i’ve been totally fine with it. i’m expecting our last baby next month, and i just know that i’ll feel the same way that you’re feeling now- about a year from now. something about knowing it’s a closed chapter. as in, reading a good book. you don’t need to read it again, but it’s nice to sit for a moment and reflect back on all the parts that made it so good.

28 Susan May 26, 2011 at 6:57 am

Very touching. Just did a post on the 50th anniversary of la giraffe sophie ;)

29 Nikki May 26, 2011 at 7:01 am

when my third was 11 months old my husband and i went away for a week. i brought a pump with me because i intended to keep up my supply and continue nursing when i came home. when we arrived at our hotel and i pulled out the pump i realized i had forgotten two crucial pieces. i burst into uncontrollable sobs. i knew i would be sad when i was done nursing, but i wasn’t expecting to be a huge blubbering mess.
long story short, i managed to rig up the pump well enough to work and 24 hours after we arrived back home convinced my baby to nurse again. he is still happily nursing a month later and i hope we will last a few more months at least.
i won’t be quite as upset when he weans because i just found out we’re expecting our fourth, so at least i know i can give it another round!

30 Stephanie May 26, 2011 at 7:04 am

You are amazing to have nursed 6 children. Wow! I just weaned too with my 2nd – it was a very different experience than my 1st who literally howled if the boob got near her. I spent weeks trying to make it work & then pumped for 10 months when it didn’t. I vowed not to make it such a big deal with the 2nd – and of course he nursed like a champ. But I could have done formula without guilt and when it came time to wean at 13 months, I was ready!! (sorry if this is over sharing!)

31 Leanne May 26, 2011 at 7:09 am

This post couldn’t be more timely for me. Earlier this week I decided the timing was finally right and after a few months of slowly reducing feedings, we’re stopping today. It’s funny because she rarely wakes in the night but yesterday she woke at 11:50. I decided that we’d nurse one last time so I got her out of bed. While she nursed I whispered to her, “this is the last time my big girl” and then kissed her and laid her back down in bed. Then I had myself a little cry.

Nursing didn’t come naturally to either of us so it seems to odd to just give it up. It’s going to be tough on both of us but I’m so glad we nursed for as long as we did.

32 Meg May 26, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Your story made me completely break down. How I wish that my last nursing session could have been so beautiful. At two months, my milk dried up. Aftertrying everything, we had to switch to formula. The last time I nursed my son would have been a terrible time with both of us crying. I’m jealous of the lovely time you had with your baby.

33 Amber May 26, 2011 at 7:11 pm

This made me tear up. I nursed my first son for 21 months, and it was an uphill battle the whole time, from my milk taking forever to come in, to jaundice and therefor formula supplements which then led to nipple confusion and a bad nipple shield habit, and then at 6 weeks, the food allergies started anyways, I knew he was down to his last feeding, and he had become a fast nurser, but for some reason, that night he nursed for a half hour. It was a beautiful time. I bawled my eyes out, and the next day I had myself a large latte and a slice of CHEESE pizza. LOL. I’ll be sure to remember this for when my twins wean, which could be relatively soon, they are almost 11 months, and getting quite distracted. Sorry for rambling!
I just think motherhood is awesome, however you feed your baby. :)

34 Shelley May 26, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Oh Leanne… this is beautiful and has me crying. I nursed for 9 months. When my milk was almost gone, so I took a few photos with my MacBook Photobooth camera as my daughter nursed. At the time, I wondered if I’d find it creepy later, but I’m SO glad I have them.

35 Sara May 26, 2011 at 7:12 am

I definitely think weaning is bittersweet, and I only have 2 :). I actually did enjoy nursing, despite some bumps in the road. It’s just such a milestone and change when you stop. Hugs to you and I think it’s okay just to take pause and mourn the loss of your your last baby’s “babyhood” before you get excited about the next exciting development :). Thanks for sharing!

36 julie. May 26, 2011 at 7:16 am

Aww.
I never loooooved nursing like lots of people seem to. I nursed both my kids over a year but always couldn’t wait to be done. But. When my youngest was giving it up (around 13 mos), I did get a little sad that she was growing up and I’d never do this neat thing again. I remember her “last time” so well. She’d flat out refused for a couple of days (and kept biting me! youch!) so I scooped her up while she was sleeping and got her to latch on (plus I really needed to be drained well. A pump just doesn’t do it like a baby). I held her and enjoyed her and even walked into the bathroom so I could watch us in the mirror. :)

37 Barefeet InTheKitchen May 26, 2011 at 7:19 am

Weaning each of my boys was bittersweet. Take a few days and snuggle her close. The weepiness really does pass. It was worse with my last son than with the others. :(

38 Liz May 26, 2011 at 7:27 am

I just loved reading this. Both my babies stopped at one year and it hit me hard. A few weeks ago I went on a much needed and deserved bra shopping spree–made me feel like I was moving on.
I love the pictures of June.

39 peggy May 26, 2011 at 7:28 am

my little boy is a bit older and I still nurse him. I am happy nursing was never an issue and worked fine with boths right from the start…
I want to have another one and I can imagine how hard it must be to know this was it…like no more…never …
interesting that June decided to stop, I stopped with my daughter when she was nearly 2 and we wanted another one… nursing break :)
she would never have stopped herself i think and the little boy now…. i doubt it too :)

40 Frumptastic May 26, 2011 at 7:32 am

Actually, I got teary reading this post! I have only nursed one child, so far, and I loved it. I expected that I wanted to nurse but I didn’t realize I would love it as much as I did. I nursed him until he was 18 months old. Because I returned to work when he was 3 months old, I gave myself goals for how long I would like to nurse and how it would be okay if I “only” made it that far. I started out at 6, then 9, then we hit a year. I thought about weaning him but then realized nursing would be SUPER HELPFUL for 24 hours of travel to Asia and just generally traveling overseas. When we returned, we decided that 18 months would be the target to wean. At this point, he was only nursing once or twice a day and surprising, the process went off without a hitch. I have to say, I do look forward to nursing our next child.

41 Melissa May 26, 2011 at 7:33 am

I just stopped nursing my almost one year old yesterday because I am going out of town next week. It’s been the same with both of my boys for me…I’m glad to be done but there is a part of me that misses that connection with them. I’m hoping to have more kids to nurse though but I’d imagine the last one will be TOUGH to be done!

42 beth confusedhomemaker May 26, 2011 at 7:40 am

I have found it is always such a bittersweet moment when that part of the relationship ends. Saying good bye to one phase but getting the chance to grow into the next one together.

Can’t wait to see what the next phase holds for you & June! :-)

43 Heather May 26, 2011 at 7:42 am

Precious moments are so hard to say good bye to. I’ve been reading to my son every night snuggled up in a chair, and just this week, he decided he was too big for it, so now we’ve moved on to snuggles and books on the bed…but I am very nostalgic for the closeness of that chair!

44 Ann May 26, 2011 at 7:56 am

Like you, I’m not a very emotional person — my husband even says that my heart is two sizes, too small;) On the Meyers-Briggs spectrum, I’m an ESTJ which is unusual since most women express a “F” (feeling) preference rather than a “T” (thinking) preference. That explains why I’d much rather watch a documentary than a romantic comedy!

I was surprised as well at my emotional attachment to nursing when I weaned my oldest son. He probably would have weaned himself at 12 months, but I extended our morning feeding session until he was 14 months because *I* needed it. He was such an independent, active boy and nursing was our only quiet time together. Maybe my heart is growing bigger after all!

My 9-month-old loves to nurse and I’ll admit that I’m happy to indulge him whenever he likes. I notice he’s been nursing less though with the introduction of solid foods. I’ll be curious to see how long he’ll nurse for. Hopefully, this won’t be our last. I’ll be a sobbing mess when our last one weans.

45 La Franglaise May 26, 2011 at 8:02 am

I’m with you on that. I’m not a sentimental person either but when I stopped breatfeeding my little boy I felt immediately felt nostalgic of that moment. It was such a great way to bond, I am thankful every day that I was able to experience that beautiful adventure. Bravo to you for nursing six kidly winks! xx
ps: here’s a piece of useless information for ya: did you know Sophie turned 50 yesterday? hard to believe that little girafe has been around for so long!

46 Elena May 26, 2011 at 8:08 am

I know! I am about to wean my fourth and last child and it is extra special when it is the last one. Her twin weaned herself around last week and I now know it is the easy way. My second daughter became an ”excessive nurser” at 22 months old and I had to wean her abruptly – she was just fine but I had a difficult week with physical symptoms since I was producing quite a bit. This last child has good ”breast manners” and readily accepted to only nurse in the morning. We are on our way to a pleasant weaning (I think). It will be bittersweet, but there will be a certain freedom ( I will be able to wear dresses this summer and take any medication if needed).

47 Jennifer May 26, 2011 at 8:11 am

I’m on month 8 of nursing my first child and while he’s not weaning yet, I know it’s coming. I’m excited to have my body back, but I will miss it too. Before I got pregnant I had a friend say she was sad to wean her daughter and I remember thinking “why?” but now I totally get it. I love the way my son lifts his leg up as if to curl himself around me, the way he rubs my back and when he’s done turns his face away with his pursed little lips and his nose up in the air. Those are the things no one else sees.

48 Lian May 26, 2011 at 8:13 am

I’ll be weaning my #4 soon. We’ve told her we are stopping when she turns 2 and that is only 3 months away. I’ve mixed emotions; I want it to end but I also don’t want it to end. Crazy huh? I am targeting to reward myself with a really good bra that is NOT a nursing bra.

49 Sharlene May 26, 2011 at 8:23 am

I, too, nursed all six of my babies—a year each except for baby #6. I just couldn’t stop. I think I finally let go when she was about 18 months. Or was it two years? I just had a feeling she would be my last, and sure enough, I didn’t have any more babies. So here’s to nursing!

PS~ I love the way that “nursed” babies plump out. So cute and chubby.

50 Kristen May 26, 2011 at 8:24 am

I get it. My first never latched right despite my lactation’s consultants many attempts. So I pumped for months and decided that I would never do that again. Ofcourse, my second was a nursing champion. Unfortunately, I developed a serious breast infection while nursing, had to abruptly stop, and have been encouraged not to breast-feed again by the team of doctors that saved my life. I won’t. It is not worth the risk. Yet here I am 12 weeks pregnant with my third and I get teary eyed as I unpack nursing supplies. I know I will bond with this baby in a hundred other ways and it really won’t be a big deal in the end, but I will miss it. There is something so special about your baby getting all their nutrition, love, and comfort from just you. I am so glad I have the memory of nursing at least one of my children.

51 Jaime May 26, 2011 at 8:29 am

I nursed my first for 13 months, and as sad as I was for it to end, there was also a big part of me that was so happy to have my own body back, to be able to eat and drink what I wanted without worrying about how it would affect my little boy. Now I’m 8 months into nursing my daughter and I think it will be about the same. I love doing it, it’s a fantastic bonding experience, but I miss the freedom that you don’t have when you’re pregnant and nursing.

52 Taylor May 26, 2011 at 8:40 am

Thanks for sharing. I have tears now, just writing this. I’m 11 months into nursing my first baby and I plan to stop before he turns 1, as my husband and I are taking a trip to celebrate his 30th Bday, also because we would like to have another baby and my boobs need a break! However, I’m finding that I’m emotional about this too and when you mentioned watching your baby while they nurse the “last few times” that TOTALLY hit home for me. I’m charishing every time he nurses, looking into his baby eyes and thinking he’s already so big! As I mentioned before, this is my 1st baby, so I have a LOT to learn ahead and I don’t really know what to expect. However, I’m going to miss this stage. As hard as it’s been at times, as much as I’ve wanted my boobs to go back to fitting into single or even double digit bra, shirt or ANYTHING for that matter I wouldn’t trade this experience for my life. It’s been fun and I’m going to miss those moments when the world stops for 10minutes and it’s just me and my boy!

53 tori May 26, 2011 at 8:41 am

I had the exact same experience with my last child. I was happy to nurse my children, but I wasn’t in love with nursing. I’m not overly sentimental…just a little bit about certain things, but the morning that I nursed my last child for the last time was a tender moment. I remember holding her and rocking her and soaking up the moment. I just watched that daughter drive away on her first adventure as an adult, leaving me an empty-nester. My home and arms are empty, but I am now unexpectedly filled with that tender moment 17 years ago. Thank you for prompting that memory for me today.

54 norah May 26, 2011 at 8:42 am

i have so enjoyed nursing all four of my kids….#4 is 2.4 now, and shows no signs of stopping! (its only 3 times/day) my other kids did not nurse this long (20 months, 16 months, and 2 years), but its great for me…often the only time of day i get to just sit! as this is my last child, i know i will feel so sad when he’s done nursing…i’ve been very blessed to have been able to do it. of course, it will be nice to let go of the body fat that my lactating body has been holding on to…

55 elz May 26, 2011 at 8:47 am

I nursed both my girls for around a year. Even though I was sad when my older daughter weaned, I was almost heartbroken when my younger daughter weaned. I knew there would be no other babies (a fact that still makes me sad). So, letting go of that moment that is the personification of mothering was difficult. I also cried when we took down the crib and put away the pacis. Each milestone for my youngest is harder for me than when her sister hit similar milestones.

56 Kate May 26, 2011 at 8:54 am

I had troubles with nursing and it was one of the most emotional things I’ve ever experienced when I finally had to come to terms with the fact that it just wasn’t going to work for me. I always appreciate reading other women’s experiences with weaning and learning that I’m not crazy for how hard it was!
Here’s my experience here: http://moreterriers.blogspot.com/2011/04/issue-of-breastfeeding.html

57 Sarah May 26, 2011 at 9:08 am

Yes! I also get emotional at weaning. Part of it is hormonal, so all moms should cut themselves some slack as their bodies adjsut. But part of it is what you listed–those soft tummies against ours…so precious!

I’m on my last (knock on wood) and don’t ever want her to wean. I’m going to push it until she absolutely refuses and I don’t care that my friends and family will laugh at me.

Oh, I also think it helps when the child weans slowly. No engorgement!

58 Sara May 26, 2011 at 9:17 am

I feel sad for you that you feel that way.
I couldn’t stop nursing my first born fast enough. I only lasted 4 months. :( I did continue to pump and feed him breast milk until he was 9 months though. My second child I nursed until she was 11 months. I was actually a little sad when I started the weaning process. I am due in November with baby 3, and for the first time ever, I am looking forward to nursing. What I am not looking forward to is the depression I feel after giving birth. :(

59 annie leavitt May 26, 2011 at 9:24 am

after moving to a new town my mother walked out of her water aerobics class and saw a woman crying at her car. she walked over and asked if she could help. the other mother replied, “i just weaned my last baby!” it was her eighth. my mom had had 7 and replied, “oh, i know exactly how you feel” and gave her a large hug.

i’ve always loved that story. it is hard to end a chapter in life and start another i think.

60 kpriss May 27, 2011 at 12:39 am

wow! That’s so beautiful! it got me all teary :*

61 whoorl May 26, 2011 at 9:34 am

I totally relate. Despite the fenugreek, lactation consultations and on-demand nursing, my body threw in the towel around 9 1/2 months this time around. I was so sad because I just felt like I wasn’t ready to be finished, which was very different than when I weaned my firstborn at 6 months. (Although both were perfectly fine with moving on!!)

Maybe, like you, it’s because she’s my last. Even though it’s been over a month since weaning her, I still feel a little sad. In fact I just googled “relactation” a few days ago!

62 Amy May 26, 2011 at 9:39 am

This post made me cry. I love nursing my babies, I have nursed all 4 for at least a year. In January I started thinking that we were probably done having kids and I was getting comfortable with the idea, then in March we got a surprise and I’m expecting #5. You made me realize that I need to enjoy that year of nursing and bonding with my baby as much as I can.
Good luck, I know it’s a hard milestone, be happy that your little girl is beautiful and healthy and there are many more happy milestones to come.

63 Libby May 26, 2011 at 9:42 am

I teared up reading this. I am almost 12 months into nursing my first and have started to contemplate weaning. As recently as two months ago I was looking forward to weaning but have started to feel apprehensive about it as of late. How do you even start to wean a baby? What are these subtle and not so subtle signs my baby is ready to wean?
Cheers

64 Carina May 26, 2011 at 1:34 pm

The easiest way is to “don’t offer, don’t refuse.” If you’re not ready, no shame until going until you do! My children were over 2 when they stopped by themselves. If you’re truly ready, you can stop offering to nurse, but don’t refuse when your baby “asks.” This is a gentle, easier way to wean. Weaning is best when it’s done over several months, allowing your body to adjust (both reducing your milk supply so you’re comfortable and gradually dialing down your hormones so you don’t crash.) Baby gets used to doing other things and gradually stops asking! Painless and gentle!

65 Christina May 26, 2011 at 9:58 am

Dear Gabrielle,

I often hit your blog b/c I so enjoy your style and ideas and frankly, I find I’m living vicariously through those living in amazing places as I sit through Ohio’s rainiest spring in history – rather reminiscent of my early years in Seattle.

I saw your really cool and colorful family photo and decided called my kiddos over so they could appreciate the bright colors/coordination without being too matchy-matchy. I decided to click on the link for a sneak peak and they exclaimed, “Holy Cow! Mom is getting on Twitter!” I’ve never done that before, and I’m aware that often there are pop up windows on sights that the ‘owner’ or ‘user’ is unable to do anything about. But before I realized what was happening, my almost 13 year old son grabbed my 8 year old son and whipped him away from the computer while my 11 year old daughter hollered and covered the naked body on the computer screen. It was an American Apparel advertisement, and almost every one I saw was ‘soft’ porn. I was so bummed that my kids saw that, and I’m not blaming you…it is my responsibility to protect their right to innocence. However, if you have the control over your ads, I suggest offensive ones be removed since so much of what you do is ‘design mom’-ish and therefore, in my opinion, should be almost always family friendly. And since I am as computer illiterate as most 90 year olds, maybe you are unable to control those pop-up ads??? Either way, I am not blaming you, rather hoping you are aware of what is on your page.

And thank you for the whole article on bra size (one not really for my kids, but one that every.single.mother can appreciate). I don’t know that I have ever laughed so hard re: the life of a total stranger simply b/c I can now completely appreciate the martyrdom of a woman’s body as she carries a baby in utero, and/or nurses her child.

Love what you do!

66 Sandi May 26, 2011 at 10:00 am

I’m not an overly sentimental person either, and I was quite shocked at the depth of the emotions I felt about nursing. It was by far the sweetest thing I’ve ever done and I relished every. single. minute of it.

When I weaned my last at 20 months, it was all I could do for the next week or two to keep from scooping him up and starting again. :) I’d give anything to be able to nurse a baby again, but I am still outrageously grateful to have done it at all.

67 Patty May 26, 2011 at 10:04 am

I have four children and was surprised about how I felt when our fourth (and we knew final) baby weaned. She is almost 7 now and it’s been that way with every “milestone” she reaches; last one in pre-school, last one to lose a “first” tooth, last one to start kindergarden. I am so happy, though, to not be moving “backwards” which you know happens everytime you bring a new baby into a family. We are moving “forward” and I’m happily anticipating all of the great things we’ll do as a family, and that each of my children will do as individuals.

68 Hannah/Sundry Mumsy May 26, 2011 at 10:08 am

Such a precious post!!

While it is taxing at times, I LOVE nursing my babies, and I dread the day when it is no longer part of our lives. So I feel your sadness.

I have been nursing for close to five years with no interruptions. My first, Silas, was 18 months when I learned I was pregnant with Enid. I nursed all through my pregnancy and then nursed the both of them for a year. Enid is now two and a half and is still going strong. I know the end is coming sooner than later, but it will certainly be a day of sadness for me. There is something so comforting and yet also so empowering about the whole nursing experience.

69 Heather May 26, 2011 at 10:13 am

Those photos of Baby June and Ben Blair are precious! The title of this post and the photos made me feel weepy.
My baby will be 1 soon. I don’t like nursing. But I am already anticipating the end of nursing to be bittersweet for me.
Thank you for sharing your feelings, and those lovely photos, with us.

70 Traveling Mama May 26, 2011 at 10:23 am

I remember that exact moment with my littlest. I cried too… even though I said that I hated it the first four months. It’s a very tender and sweet moment and I think a rite of passage that they go through… even when they choose it for themselves.

71 juliagblair May 26, 2011 at 10:35 am

Such sweet, sweet memories.I believe there are few, if any, experiences and/ or recollections, that can compete with the joy and peace of nursing a baby. Pure connection with the babe and the heavens! My memories now include peace and quiet! Rare and lovely, indeed!

72 Dee May 26, 2011 at 10:37 am

I don’t remember my older two weaning, but I remember when my third child did (at 3 1/2). Even though by that point nursing was driving me up a wall, I still felt sad that it was ending. This time around, I’m taking lots of nursing pics along the way and even making little videos so that I can pull up the memories whenever I’d like.

73 Abbie May 26, 2011 at 10:40 am

Off the subject- but I love, love when you post pictures of June and your husband. More than any of your other children, she is a little mini-Ben and I find it just adorable.

74 Heather B. May 26, 2011 at 10:43 am

1) whoa, it’s a mini-Oscar Blair!
2) So does this mean there will really be no “Gabby and Ben plus 10″? ;-)

I need to come to France. I really adore your family. xo

75 Sarah May 26, 2011 at 10:45 am

My baby (hopefully the first of many) is only 5 months old; this still made me tear up. When I first got pregnant, my sister told me that one of the parts of babyhood she loved the most was nursing. I was baffled. All I had heard and read was about getting a proper latch, the pain, soreness, cracking, bleeding, etc. Then of course, my sweet baby was born and even though it was rough at first and can still feel like a chore at times, I know it’s a closeness I will miss one day. So I try to just soak it in for now and enjoy the special little moments we have together.

76 Maria May 26, 2011 at 10:57 am

After almost 3 years, I still miss nursing my youngest son. I contemplate having another child so I could nurse again. I was only successful nursing my 3rd child and am amazed by the benefits, especially with the bonding. I wish I could have tried harder with my older 2.

77 Sara Weinberg May 26, 2011 at 11:36 am

Dear Gabrielle,

First of all, I love your blog. I have been following it for a couple of years now and it resonates on so many levels for me.

I cried each time I weaned my three children (and tears are welling up right now as I think about it). The last was particularly hard, especially since she was over two and because I knew she was my last baby. Although you can never recreate that particular closeness with your child, as you know there are always many other ways to be close with him or her.

Treasure your little baby June!

Sara

78 Cailyn May 26, 2011 at 11:58 am

My baby is named June too, she turned 1 in April, and we’re (I think/hope) near the end of our nursing run. I think I might be more ready than her-we’ll see-neither of us can commit one way or the other. She is my last baby too-a few months ago I realized no one would on accident try to eat from my nose or tummy pooch again-it made me feel a little bit tender about it all coming to an end.

79 abigail May 26, 2011 at 12:04 pm

wow I could barely read this… I think I have the same brain- very practical and am surprised when I get emotional about some things and yet I’m sure when the time comes that our daughter weans it will be bitter sweet and will take me of guard.

She is 7 months this week and never took any interest in a bottle- she was all about Mom! And as a result she doesn’t use pacifiers, which is fine except at times when she is teething and just wants to use me as a pacifier. I had a rough 48 hours of that this week… and reading your post about weaning and all of the subsequent comments renewed my perspective and love about breast feeding… I do love the bonding and never really understood what that was until being in the middle of it.

I have a few pictures of her at the beginning just getting the hang of it and although they are not flattering of my still puffy pregnant face I am so glad my Husband snuck in and took them. And now I will continue to have him document our feedings. Breast feeding is so intimate in so many ways, and like you said about their fingers, their little movements… it’s those times that you see how they are growing and developing. Our daughter used to rub her feet together but is growing out of that now, and I miss it.

So perhaps we can all find comfort in finding other ways we can bond with them and seek out other opportunities where we can watch these little developmental milestones. And be grateful for the nourishment and bonding that has laid such a strong foundation of our relationship with our children.

80 Bevy May 26, 2011 at 12:06 pm

My son named by boobs around his first birthday and I figured it would be a while before he was ready to let go of them. He finally gave it up around 20 months and the awkwardness of holding a toddler in my arms to nurse and the relentless shifting of positions made me ready to give up the ritual. I missed it at times, but shortly after, he started to cuddle more and more when we laid in bed. So, as I lay in bed with his little hand under my shirt I appreciate his touch and no longer miss the nursing.

81 Melanie T May 26, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Thank you for posting this. I work helping moms breastfeed and it is great to see an honest discussion of breastfeeding. It is normal. Not everyone feels the same about it, but our babies need it. The more we talk about it, the more normal it becomes. And the bond is amazing. Breastfeeding is about more than perfect food. It is a relationship between you and your baby. There is no arbitrary month to stop at. La Leche League says, ~So long as is mutually desired. I would be curious to know how breastfeeding is perceived in France.

82 Jill Di Pietro May 26, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I nursed Hazel to 2 and 1/2 years and I would’ve gone longer had a dentist erroneously told me nursing was causing a cavity. Later, as the cavity worsened, I went to a second pediatric dentist (the best one in town) and he told me the nursing was fine, it was the way I was letting her eat snacks, like goldfish crackers, and juice boxes that was creating the decay. As soon as I changed her snack habits, the decay arrested and has re-calcifed with regular brushing and flossing. I wish that first ignorant dentist hadn’t told me to stop nursing. she cried so hard when one day to the next we “had” to stop. She was so attached to nursing. It was her lifeline and only comfort- she didn’t use dolls or blankies to sleep with. I can tell that it has left somewhat of a scar on her.

83 Kim May 26, 2011 at 12:41 pm

That June is a cutie. She looks so much like your other children!

84 Jenny also May 26, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Weaned my second, and last, baby a few months ago and felt exactly the same way, except that I LOVE nursing after the painful first days are over. (Nursing, I said not pumping, the very evil twin of nursing for a mom who works away from her baby). I loved the intimacy, the reminder to sit quietly with my babies, and I loved most of all the unique ability to make another human being so absolutely and totally content in every way even though he’d been screaming bloody murder just a few moments before. We modern Jews don’t talk like this very often but nursing for me was the closest I have ever felt to being part of God’s perfect plan.

85 Denise Laborde May 26, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I hear you loud and clear, Gabby! I recently experienced some similar emotions with my third son, Lucien. He was the first to wean at nine months. I was surprised as I was expecting to nurse into his first year. But he had other plans and he let me know it.
I loved nursing my three children and feel fortunate that it worked for us. However, I always tried to keep an open mind about weaning – not having expectations and going on so long as it worked for both of us. So when Lucien lost interest I tried to be accepting and thankful. BUT in a little corner of my mind (or heart) there was sadness for those special moments that now would be only memories.
We think (!) that he is our last child and it is very difficult for me to identify as a woman who is done with the baby-making part of her life. I just don’t recognize that person :)

Bises
D

86 Natalie May 26, 2011 at 1:10 pm

i’m right in the midst of this with my lucy girl! i’ve never been sad for a 1st birthday or the end or nursing…but yeah, this time has been weird. lucy might be my last…we’re not sure. plus, today #2 graduated from preschool, #1 finishes up 1st grade next week…somebody pass me a tissue!

87 Renae May 26, 2011 at 1:32 pm

We all get it…I took a photo from my mummy angle on my phone one day, and then recorded her little noises another…but I can’t really listen to it as it makes me nostalgic and sad at the same time. I think how you did it and etched the moment in your memory though is much more powerful than pictures (or recordings).

88 Jessica May 26, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I had such a hard time weaning my son (two months ago). He was 16 months, and it was time. I wrote on my blog the following:

So last night, in his darkened room, we sat in the rocker, and for the last time I breastfed my big boy. I cried a little. Seems silly until you are there, but I’ll admit the tears fell. The last of his babyhood is slipping away.

Tonight will be the first in James’s entire life where he will go to bed without booby milk. I think I’ll have a harder time than him.

I think it all holds true still.

89 the emily May 26, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I bought my baby girl a Sophie for her first birthday! She loves it.

I nursed my first two boys for a year and baby girl weaned herself at 8 months. I was really sad about–mostly because formula is gross to me, and ridiculously expensive–but also I don’t know if we’ll have more kids, and I really miss the closeness, and the feeling that she’s getting something from me that she can’t get anywhere else. I don’t love nursing, but I was sad when she was done. Really sad. My friend has a picture of her nursing (tasteful) and I wish I had one.

90 Becky May 26, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I’ve been there too. Let yourself take an overly long bath (or other enjoyable, mommy-only activity) and give in to having a little pity party if you need to. You can go back to being your strong, sensible self after the water is drained. :)
I had to wean my oldest when she was just four months old. She had severe allergies to dozens of foods and would react to them through my breastmilk. There was just no way for me to have a safe diet and still nurse her. It was my birthday when her doctor said we had to stop. I cried in the office. With my second, we spotted the allergies early (he was 3 weeks old), and it was easier emotionally for me, because I’d already been through it once.
I wonder if you’ll feel the same end-of-an-era sadness when June hits other independence milestones, like starting preschool? I think I will when Henry does.

91 Kate Reymann May 26, 2011 at 1:42 pm

The last time I nursed Luke I was sitting at dawn on my sister’s couch in Walnut Creek and he was seven months old. I had the worst migraine of my entire life (it last another four days) and Luke had just gotten his top two teeth, which combined with his bottom two made for some very painful nursing and he was ready to end it. However, the migraine let up just a little bit and he didn’t bite that very last time and I still remember it.

There is something about the end of things that always makes me weepy. Luke is about to change schools and I’m thrilled about it but every time one of his current teachers tells me how much they will miss him I get a huge lump in my throat and I can barely talk.

I am so impressed that you nursed six kiddos! Huge kuddos to you!

92 Adventures In Babywearing May 26, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I just weaned Ivy, and if you know me you know that is a big deal. I am right there with you. So ready to be done but wow- really- this is it! I had a good cry or two and then feel so ready for the next chapters to begin!

Steph

93 Monica May 26, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I was working full time with my first so was only able to nurse to about 6 months so with my second, since I was home full-time, I nursed until he was 18 months and just finished two weeks ago. I was only down to one nighttime feeding anyway and he seemed like he could take it or leave it so I decided to just be done one night. I totally made my husband take a picture though!

It’s such a real milestone of “not being a baby anymore” and especially knowing it will be your last one after six, well I don’t care how unsentimental you are, as a mom that has to affect you. :)

94 Kristydc May 26, 2011 at 1:57 pm

What an appropriate topic for me too!

My son’s first birthday was almost two weeks ago. He nurses mostly at night and I love that snuggly time. I am going to a conference in a month out of town. I could bring my son or my pump, but it seems impractical. I will be at the conference from early morning to late at night.

He is likely ready to wean, but I am the emotional one about it. This may be my last baby. I want to have a third, but that may or may not happen and I’d probably have to wean to make that happen. I am old, a few years over 40 so I don’t know if I will conceive with ease. Is this my last baby? Can I wean my baby?

Well, thanks for sharing. It helped to know others are going through this.

95 Alicia May 26, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Breastfeeding was something I looked forward to when I had kids. When we found out we wouldn’t have biological children I was so sad that they would miss out on breastfeeding. When researching adoption I learned that I could breastfeed. I prepared for 2 months before our little guy was born and started to feed him when he was 2 days old. It was an amazing experience and has been for the last 8 months. I produce most of his milk and only have to supplement a few ounces a day. It makes me sad to think about weaning him since it has been such an amazing bonding experience.

96 Kristydc May 26, 2011 at 2:51 pm

That is AWESOME! Enjoy your little guy:)

97 Monica May 26, 2011 at 2:16 pm

And what’s really getting me is seeing these pictures of June and then under the You Might Also Like is a thumbnail of her swaddled in that blue blanket and looking absolutely tiny! I mean, really…

98 Katy May 26, 2011 at 2:30 pm

The first few times I was shoved away like a stalk of broccoli was very painful… but she came back and I did as you described. I paid attention to each little detail, knowing that soon I would not be able to have the experience again. And then one day I realized that we hadn’t nursed in two days… in four days… since last week. It slowly went by and today we are completely weaned at 14 months. This is my first child, hopefully not my last, but weaning was emotional for me as well. It is an end to a very special time for mommy and baby. Hugs to you and June!

99 bdaiss May 26, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Too true. My babies never gave up on me – my milk gave up on them. It’s the full time work + travel. The pump just didn’t do enough. Still, I made it 9 month with each. If I could have just nursed I’d probably have enjoyed it more and lasted longer. Pumps are just modern versions of medieval torture devices. : )

But anyway – I get that “what the heck is this emotional thing?” quite a bit. I know we aren’t having (and I don’t want) more kids. Seems lately my daughter leaves a phase and I get all “aw, I’ll never do this again!” teary. It’s baffling.

100 Kaila Lifferth May 26, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I wish I had a picture of me nursing one of my babies too! I think I told Noah to take one once, but he didn’t because he thought that it was weird (we have different views on what’s weird and what’s not). And I totally sympathize with the emotion. related to weaning. Oliver has been weaned for a year and I still miss it.

101 Erin May 26, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I just started weaning my third, and final, baby today. My sweet Thomas. Your post said exactly what I’ve been feeling the past couple of days. Even though it will be nice to have more freedom, I can’t help but be emotional as well. I’ll always have such sweet memories of nursing my babies.

102 Erika May 26, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I hear ya! I have 2 children. I did not nurse my first one. I tried. But I didnt try hard enough. It didnt really bother me much at that point in my life. I was fine with bottle feeding her. When the second came, 5 years later, I gave it my all. I went in knowing that I was going to do it this time. No excuses! The first weeks were horrible but wonderful. After we both got used to each other, I cherised every feeding. At 10 months, my supply was lacking and I decided it was time. My heart ached as I made that decision. I understand your tears. Mine were there for a few weeks. But it finally passed. When its your last baby, its so hard.

103 Alea May 26, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I did have my hubby take a picture of me nursing my 4th when I knew he was probably giving it up soon. With all your picture taking, I’m surprised you didn’t. You could try to recreate a scene – she probably wouldn’t stand for that!
I would love to have one of those beautiful closeups of a baby nursing in black and white. I don’t think my husband would let me hang it anywhere he would spend any time around. And I don’t know if it would be better if it was a pic of me – or just someone. I definetely don’t have a model figure “up there”, and I think other people might think the whole idea was weird.

104 This girl loves to Talk May 26, 2011 at 3:30 pm

i weaned my fourth and probably last baby at the beginining of the year. I too blogged about it! it certainly is bittersweet. Sometimes I think about having more babies (guilt factor) but then I think I am ready to move onto enjoying time with my now children (and almost tweens) not babies! its time to enjoy without all the baby paraphernailia and be able to do more stuff with the older girls.

105 Erin May 26, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I hear you. I loved, loved breastfeeding, and I was planning on going until about 16 months, but following my baby’s lead most of all, whether that was at 18 months or 12. I didn’t see any stopping point in the near future, however, and we were happy partners. But my enthusiastic eater of solid foods weaned herself at 14 months…I was so sad to see that sweet time go, though I was at peace that we’d at least made that important 12-month mark. As it became clear that nursing was less attractive to my baby, I did the same as you–saw each feeding as possibly the end, and wrung out every little drop of happiness that it brought me.

I love breastfeeding for the same reason that I love pregnancy–the indescribable closeness to a small, sweet person, who may never be so close to you again.

106 Jenny P May 26, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I’ve only been breastfeeding for a month and I nearly cried reading this! (Maybe it’s because I’m only four weeks into motherhood that I am still so quick to cry…) Like you, I wouldn’t say that I LOVE breastfeeding, but once I read this and thought about not doing it, all of a sudden I feel much more attached to it.

That part about paying close attention to those last nursing moments, not knowing which would be the last, is seriously killing me!

107 Janelle May 26, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Oh, I feel your emotional tug-of-war. I’ve nursed all my babies too – and my youngest (8 1/2 mo) weaned at only 4 months – I’ve gone anywhere from 11 months to 2 yrs with nursing so this one really threw me. I was really weepy for a week or so (and I am NOT a crier – also, very practical in my approach to mothering). We are hoping for one more child, but not sure that will happen due to a severe injury my husband suffered when #5 was only a few weeks old. So, it is bittersweet. Freedom from being tied to a chair every 2 hours, but that small thing that ONLY YOU can give to/share with your baby being gone … sigh.

108 DebbieD May 26, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Sweet post..I felt the same as you wrote about breast feeding to begin with. My body stopped producing enough milk around 5 months for my son. He was having reflux also so we weaned him and started him on formula. I wish I could have nursed him for longer though. I got emotional the last time. I knew it would be the last time, so I asked my husband to take a photo. I love the photo but it still doesn’t really capture how I felt or what my son really looked like nursing, only my heart could capture that.

Hugs to you :)

109 Melissa May 26, 2011 at 5:44 pm

You had me in tears with this post! (of course being 8 1/2 months pregnant, everything brings me to tears :) I think you’re right about a sudden unexpected sentimental attachment when you realize this is the end of an era. We’re expecting our 5th and most likely our last baby and the last few weeks I’ve really started to appreciate the gift of pregnancy even more– scheduling my first every maternity photoshoot so I can remember this experience I’ve been blessed to have 5 times when usually I shy AWAY from cameras when huge and pregnant. I have a feeling weaning this one will be just as bittersweet as you’ve described with your June!

110 Lisa May 26, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I had the same reaction to what I thought was my last. That was three years ago. But I just found out recently that we are expecting our 5th, so I guess I get to do it all again! :) Now I have mixed emotions…LOL! God really has a sense of humor!

111 Caroline May 26, 2011 at 6:17 pm

You just captured exactly how I feel! I also have a practical/problem-solving brain and was never passionate about BFing yet I was pretty sad when my daughter weaned at 11.5 months. I’m happy to have my body back and more freedom, but I still feel teary when I think back to the experience of nursing. This is my first child, and I’m learning there’s a lot of inner conflict that goes along with motherhood. (p.s. I love the name June.)

112 Shondra May 26, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I only have one child but am pregnant with my 2nd. I had been trying to get pregnant again, but wasn’t having any luck. I knew it was most likely due to the fact that I was nursing (I guess I was hoping I was one of those women who could get pregnant while nursing and continue nursing throughout the next pregnancy) but I wasn’t so fortunate. So around 14 months, I weaned my son. It seemed natural and like he was ready to wean and was much easier than I expected, but I was so sad even though I know I’ll have more to nurse.

On the bright side, I got pregnant the very next month after I quit nursing. :)

113 lianne May 26, 2011 at 6:24 pm

i love the moments i have with my little guy while nursing him (and loved nursing my daughter, too!)… he loves to reach out with his chubby little hand and hold my arm while he nurses… it melts my heart, i love that he needs me! nursing is truly a magical gift — you should feel proud that you have been able to nurse 6 babies… there are so many mummies out there who cannot nurse. with each passing phase comes a new one though — so many things to look forward to, and so many great moments to remember.

114 Leslie May 26, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Thanks for the “savor the moment post”. I am 42, nursing my 20 month old who is my 7th and I just was thinking that this might be the last. I take all the pics in the fam and am rarely in them myself. I will have one of the kiddos take a picture tomorrow.

115 Martini Mom May 26, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I loved nursing my first – he was such a cuddler – but he weaned himself at 13 months and I was ready to be be done too. My second (and last) is not at all a pleasure to nurse. He bucks and kicks and grunts the whole time. His dad describes the spectacle as watching a rodeo. Still, since I know he’s my last baby, I’m sure I’ll be a blubbery mess when we wean. Luckily, we should have several more months of “rodeos” ahead of us.

116 Nina May 26, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Oh. This post made my heart ache, in good ways and bad.

At 2 months, we learned my daughter was allergic and I would have to stop breastfeeding. I was relieved, but much later felt guilty and sad about it. I got my chance to make up for it when my son was born. I breastfed as long as I could, taking my pump along with me on business trips so I could keep up my supply.

I enjoyed breastfeeding so much the second time, at least after the awful first weeks (why don”t women warn other women about this?!). Truly, I loved the way he’d run his little fingers over my face and clothes. I loved snuggling with a baby in milk-coma. I only wish I’d known to appreciate our last day of nursing. To be honest, I cant remember it at all. :(