The Desk Project

May 9, 2011

Kids of Kathmandu Desk Project

Oh. I’m in love with this project! Eleven woodworkers/designers/architects from New York each made a desk to be auctioned off to support the education of orphans in Nepal. The desks are beautiful! And the cause is worthy. Wouldn’t it be neat to own a one-of-a-kind desk from an independent designer?

If you want one, go for it — there’s no buyers remorse when it’s for a good cause, right? Bids are being accepted through Thursday.

Desks pictured here are by Wadaly, Strear Built and Brian DeRosia.

Kids of Kathmandu Desk Project Kids of Kathmandu Desk Project

1 Jens May 9, 2011 at 7:24 am

The first desk with the pen’s on the side from Wadaly.. are they serious? It’s basically a desk with a spike trap on the sides. Wouldn’t wanna mix that with a six-year old on a sugar rush.

2 Jenna Nelson May 9, 2011 at 8:32 am

I was going to say the same thing Jens! My kids would poke an eye out the very first day, for sure.

3 madison kramer May 9, 2011 at 8:42 am

true but an inspiring project for sure!! i love the one from uhuru with the little compartments inside. i’d love to bid on that for myself!

4 Kady May 9, 2011 at 9:20 am

Ah but the yallow and white remind me of a lemon meringue pie. And who doesnt love pie?

5 Ren Lady Of The Arts May 9, 2011 at 11:19 am

I love the pencil holder and the wheels would be great for a kids desk!

6 Jenny also May 9, 2011 at 11:40 am

Honestly, this is my favorite thing you have ever posted. Inspiring on so many levels.

7 Sophie May 9, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Gotta admit that I’m one of the “OMG, are they serious with the pencil holder?” folk. Sure, that’s dangerous for kids, but as accident-prone as I am, I’m more afraid that *I’ll* poke my eye out!

Still, you don’t have to put pencils in there. The desks are beautiful besides, and for a great cause. The designers are quite attractive as well… ;-)

8 G May 9, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Love this project! Gorgeous desks for a gorgeous cause.

9 Petra Morvay May 9, 2011 at 11:55 pm

uh-oh! serious hazard, if you ask me, the first one looks cute but totally out of the question – what were they thinking?Sorry, not the favourite thing you ever posted, for sure…

10 Hannah/Sundry Mumsy May 10, 2011 at 7:48 am

Okay, people, no one can poke their eyes out with crayons. Nix the colored pencils, insert crayons. Hazard avoided. I love the desks. It’s a beautiful thing when attractive design meets functionality.

11 The Disgruntled Architect May 10, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I do love the concept behind the pencil desk regardless of the hazards; it is so creative and it keeps the pencils and crayons from rolling off the desk! So thoughtful…

12 John Andrews May 11, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Don’t like sharp pencils? Use crayons! Geez!