Holly Farrell

May 13, 2011

Bowl Painting Holly Farrell

Have you seen Holly Farrell’s work? She’s a self-taught artist and she started painting at age 28. Her work is full of domestic themes and I found I’m really drawn in by them. I want to save my pennies and purchase one of her works.

Have you ever thought about collecting art? What sorts of paintings are you drawn to — landscapes? still life? portraits?

spotted on Mama Scout

Couch Painting Holly Farrell Cookbooks Painting Holly Farrell

1 Kat May 13, 2011 at 4:40 am

Oh my gosh, I thought those were photos of actual items… second glance showed me that they were PAINTINGS of actual items! Amazing work!

2 Tiffany May 13, 2011 at 5:08 am

I wasn’t familiar with her, but you’ve got me hooked. I love all of them, but especially the cookbooks! Definitely worth saving for.

3 Zan May 13, 2011 at 6:26 am

She started painting at 28 and now she’s a painting rockstar?

That might be my favorite part of the story (though the paintings are beautiful, of course)

4 Design Mom May 13, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I love that part of the story too!

5 kim May 13, 2011 at 6:34 am

I second Kat’s comment….I thought she was a potter, and that beautiful bowl was for sale! The realistic aspect of her paintings is UNreal!! I’ve never seen anything like it. Wow.

6 whitneyingram May 13, 2011 at 7:13 am

Another artist you need to check out is Mallory Robin. I have been wanting one of her floral paintings for a long time. And her use of texture is beautiful.

7 Design Mom May 13, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Thanks for the link, Whitney. I’ll definitely check her out.

8 Heather May 13, 2011 at 7:27 am

Thank you for introducing me to her paintings. Love!

9 Summer May 13, 2011 at 7:36 am

I was confused too! I thought it was a picture of a pot, and then thought, “Does she reupholster couches too?” Hahahahaha! Beauuuutiful work – I like the bowties!

10 Sharlene May 13, 2011 at 7:48 am

“If I were a rich man” I’d buy the cookbook painting! I loved looking through Holly’s collection at her website. Her Butterick patterns paintings are so real I felt I could just pick them off the page. I actually have the pattern #3693–the one on the far right. Thanks for sharing this artist with us. These pattern paintings took me back to the days of sewing for my daughters.

I like all types of paintings, but I don’t have a collection, unless you count my Greg Olson spiritual-themed prints. :) I am fascinated with portraits. My son and also my daughter-in-law do beautiful portraits in oil.

11 Design Mom May 13, 2011 at 3:42 pm

How cool that you have the same Butterick pattern. What a fun coincidence!

12 The Woman Formerly Known as Beautiful May 13, 2011 at 8:00 am

I picked up Van Gogh’s Sunflowers, but found them too frenetic for the breakfast nook. Kept having the urge to slice off an ear. Thanks for the introduction too more whimsical work.

13 Bri (like the cheese) May 13, 2011 at 8:02 am

Now I want to hang an oil painting of my couch on the wall above my couch.

14 amyks May 13, 2011 at 8:10 am

Amazing, I thought the first one was a photo, too. I have a couple of limited edition lithographs that are hanging in our house, but would love to be able to purchase more, problem is my husband…I see something I like and want to buy it, he’s a more let’s wait and see kinda guy. :(

15 Marcie May 13, 2011 at 8:24 am

Oh my gosh, I absolutely LOVE the cookbook painting! It’s phenomenal!

16 Design Mom May 13, 2011 at 3:43 pm

It looks like the cookbook one is the crowd favorite. : )

17 Connie May 13, 2011 at 8:27 am

it’s funny you should mention this. I’m a painter myself, so I generally am not drawn to collecting others’ paintings (Our house is filled with mine with scarcely a wall to spare!), but I do collect glass art. I am drawn to it, because it’s a medium of art I do not use, but admire deeply.

18 sarah May 13, 2011 at 8:37 am

wow, i really love these. i’m completely drawn to art depicting everyday household items, just like these. as an amateur photographer it’s the same type of stuff i dream of shooting, but these days i haven’t done much in the way of making time for art. i especially love her triptych of soaps :) i don’t think i’ll ever really be able to afford these, but a girl can dream…

19 Barchbo May 13, 2011 at 8:38 am

I love this art! I would love to hang the cookbook painting over my cookbooks.

We do collect art, but only from places we have been. Maybe we would buy something special NOT from a travel, but so far those are our parameters. We aren’t very artistic so it’s really nice to have our eyes open when we travel.

20 Design Mom May 13, 2011 at 3:44 pm

What a cool tradition, Barchbo! I want to copy you.

21 bdaiss May 13, 2011 at 9:23 am

Gorgeous! Love the cookbook one.

I’m afraid most of my “collection” is posters of fine art. All the major pieces I miss visiting regularly at the Art Institute in Chicago. (Note to self – find poster of Chagall windows.) But I do have a few pieces from a local artist who I worked with for awhile. They are extremely detailed watercolors. (www.joncranewatercolors.com)

22 heidi garner May 13, 2011 at 10:29 am

I am a potter myself. I have been at it at years, but it is so sporadic i have not developed my talent as much as I’d like. I love to purchase dinnerware. Most of what we eat off of has been made by me. I love knowing that someone is both enjoying and using some of my art work- and I like doing the same with the works of other artists.

23 Design Mom May 13, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I think it’s so neat that you eat off of dinnerware you made yourself. Fantastic!

24 Amy Bowers May 13, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I am so glad you mentioned her. I love her work so much. I feel a deep pang of recognition when I see it. The only original art I have is from other students when I was in college. I am definitely in need of some grown up art. She would fit the bill! Have a great weekend!

25 Jyotirmay Intellisense May 14, 2011 at 1:13 am

Wow! its great art, i love it. fresh and clean painting

26 Eva / Sycamore Street Press May 15, 2011 at 7:09 pm

These are really beautiful. Such nice colors. And I love that she ddn’t start ’til she was 28, too.