Eating Outside

May 4, 2011

photos by Paul Ferney

The garden here is so pretty that we’ve found ourselves eating outside whenever possible. It makes every dinner feel like a bit of an event. These photos are from Jordan and Paul’s visit a couple weekends ago. The weather was mild and we ate our way through three sheets of pizza!

homemade pizza dinner outside

Some of my favorite memories of childhood were dinners that spontaneously moved to the backyard, and then ended with the family hanging out on the trampoline while the stars came out.

dinner outside dinner outside eating outside betty in the sun

How about you? Do you have a backyard? Do you ever take your meals outside?

1 Jen May 4, 2011 at 2:50 pm

we hauled our table and chairs out last weekend and had our first al fresco meal of the season! many many many more to come!!! love eating outdoors.

2 Kristen E May 4, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Husband and I eat outside whenever we can! Usually in the evenings, though, since he’s a bit light-sensitive. We love watching the sun set and the stars come out while we eat our supper together. :)

3 Ivy May 4, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I hate our yard! The lady who lived here before us was very paranoid, so she had all of the trees cut down so they wouldn’t fall on the house. We have no privacy whatsoever. But this spring, hubs and I are going to start making it our own. I’m gonna have to be creative, but one way or another we’ll get a space we like.

4 Sherri May 4, 2011 at 2:57 pm

We love eating outside (sometimes grill pizzas on our pizza stone – is that what you did?). We have a deck – a little backyard, patio, etc. The kids like to catch fireflies in the summer, and… sometimes, we even roast marshmellows over our fire pit.

Your yard is so pretty, btw :-).

5 Tamara May 4, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I love al fresco dining! Its what motivates me in my own garden. The pizza looks delish and makes me want to make my own with the real mozzarella.

p.s. I’d kill for wisteria to grow that well for me.

6 nanda May 4, 2011 at 3:02 pm

We don’t have a backyard, but we do have a small patio that is packed to the rim with potted plants and veggies AND most importantly a little “bistro” table. We often lug out the wooden high chair, and crowd around it and enjoy the city noises and fresh air…

7 Jane Lambert May 4, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Nothing says summer better for me than long evenings in the garden when the sun is going down! I love eating outside!

8 Sophie May 4, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Gorgeous pics! And oh man does that pizza look good. Mmm…

Though I don’t actually have a backyard, I do love to eat outside (as long as I’m not in direct sun!). The weather here in the Bay Area has been perfect recently, and having a meal outside a restaurant in North Beach for example is close to paradise.

9 christina May 4, 2011 at 3:54 pm

we haven’t yet – but I feel inspired! Geez your other siblings and parents must be really jealous and wish they were with you guys!

10 Mara May 4, 2011 at 4:32 pm

We live near Seattle, so when the sun shines you drop everything and run outside. Our poor kids haven’t seen the sun in months so this weekend, we held an impromptu birthday party for my husband outside. http://web.me.com/marawolff/Adoring_Audrey/Blog/Entries/2011/5/2.html

11 Sarah May 4, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Gorgeous jacaranda tree! Incredible blue isn’t it?
I really enjoy your blog.

12 Sabrina May 4, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Meals outside are the best! Maybe we’ll do that tonight, although in our corner of the world it’s starting to get a little too hot already…Looks like you had a lovely meal.

13 Cathi May 4, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Oh how I would love to sit or even go out in our backyard. We have noisy nosey neighbors that prevent us from doing so. :(
You however have a yard I am pure envious of! ;D

14 BP May 4, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Wow! This is So. Cute. I can’t imagine what it must be like to move to a foreign country with multiple children, but you make it look so beautiful and exciting that I can hardly wonder why more people don’t try it! Certainly an amazing experience…

15 grace May 4, 2011 at 5:34 pm

We love eating outside. As soon as the weather would just warm up!

16 Elizabeth May 4, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Living in southern California makes eating outdoors easy all year round. And we do so — although traipsing through our house and out to the backyard is a bit of a pain, we’re always happy when we’ve done it. Your little party looks like so much fun — and that pizza looks delicious!

17 Ashlea Walter May 4, 2011 at 6:36 pm

That wisteria is incredible!
And I love the dreamy quality of Paul’s photography – is it a special filter?

18 kalanicut May 4, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Lovely. We used to do this a lot at our parents house. When the 3 girls were mostly grown we and our mom all had our assignments or specialties for impromptu family barbecues. We could do our jobs with our eyes closed and in less than an hour we were enjoying a family feast in my parents’ awesome backyard.

19 Kathleen May 4, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Living in Southern California, we eat outside quite a bit. Even so, it always feels like an event or a party!

20 Giulia May 4, 2011 at 7:48 pm

As a Canadian we try to eat outside whenever we can as we savour our summers. Especially now that our little guy does not really need a highchair anymore it makes it much easier. We also use our BBQ to cook everything – including pizza or turkey!

21 Ann May 4, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Homemade pizza is so great. You just gotta eat a lot of it – it’s sooo good. This is how I make mine too. Rectangle baking sheets rule! I sent you a pic of our dining table outside. I really miss it. I keep looking at it wondering if when the right time for putting the cushions on will be! I don’t know if you get weather channel over there but it’s a good time to be in France!

22 Mrs. Kate B. May 4, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I love spontaneously moving dinner outside. And I love using real furniture to do it, instead of our (admittedly yucky) plastic patio furniture. There’s something so celebratory about moving the wooden table and chairs outside and adding a pretty flowered tablecloth. My girls enjoy it too, and I hope it becomes a favorite memory for them.

23 Ado May 4, 2011 at 10:01 pm

We are just back from Paris! For some reason it is easier for me to envision moving outdoors for dinner when in France than it is in Maryland – I wonder why that is? This is a great suggestion & weather-permitting I am going to have us all dine al fresco this week even though I do not own a cute apron like you do, but I will try. (-: Thanks for the post – great photos.
PS: My child ate escargot in France for the first time and I got a photo of the moment when she realized they were scrumptious.

24 Jan May 5, 2011 at 2:27 am

We’re missing our backyard this year but are making the most of our little balcony in central Bordeaux. With the amazing spring we’re having this year we’ve eaten many meals on our terrace. We don’t have room for a bistro table so we pull out the Ikea kid’s table and chairs – and my husband and I sit on too-tall dining chairs in the doorway just to be able to fit. It’s a little cozy but worth it!

25 Amy Bowers May 5, 2011 at 6:22 am

we eat a majority of our meals outside on our deck. even though we are in florida, there is shade for much of the day. and is so much easier with kids -the messes do not bother me nearly as much. plus, we get the entertainment of life passing by in a busy historic neighborhood.

26 Kirby W. May 5, 2011 at 6:32 am

We don’t have a backyard, but we live on the edge of the town park which overlooks the lake…needless to say, we spend hours upon hours on our front porch! Eating outside/reading on the porch is my favorite thing to do. Your backyard looks like such a beautiful place! Great place to make memories for sure

27 Dee May 5, 2011 at 8:33 am

We have a small yard and I’ve recently started “project patio” in an effort to prettify it and spend more time out there. My kids regularly eat lunch or do schoolwork (we homeschool) in the yard.

28 Ingrid May 5, 2011 at 9:41 am

That pizza looks amazing. Can I get the recipe?

29 heather m May 5, 2011 at 9:52 am

Awesomeness!! You have to eat outside when it’s an outside like that. We rarely eat outside here, except at a friend’s house sometimes. Problem is, hubby and one child get eaten alive by moquitos, bug spray and all. Not so fun. We much prefer eating EVERY meal outside when visiting my parents each summer in Del Mar, CA, where their pool patio overlooks the ocean, there are few bugs, it’s never too hot (like here all summer long), and it’s generally perfection. Keep enjoying the best year of your family’s life so far! :)

30 debbie May 5, 2011 at 11:38 am

love to eat outside! Some meals – taco night for example- have become outside only meals. less clean up.

31 Sarah @ Knit York City May 5, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I wish I had a back yard. Even a roof. That’s probably the worst part of living in NYC. (Boo hoo, right?)

Is that Ralph? What a cutie pie! Love kids in big glasses!

32 Meredith May 5, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Delish!! Would also love to get your recipe for the pizza – thank you!

33 r8chel May 6, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I love to eat outside. Even when I lived in places where I had no outdoor furniture, I would occasionally drag a chair outside at dinnertime and eat with my plate on my lap and my glass on the ground.

34 Bri (like the cheese) May 9, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I came across “Design Mom” and “Oh Happy Day” separately & I’d followed both for a while before I discovered that you and Jordan were sisters. It’s been a couple years since then now & I find it delightful to see the cousins together :)
I also love how Ralph’s expression mimics his t-shirt in that picture!

35 Kelly May 9, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I might have to cut myself off from all this loveliness…wisteria and aprons and welcome baskets and canoeing. This make my heart so happy for all of you.

36 juliagblair July 4, 2011 at 11:26 am

We love to eat outdoors when the weather cooperates.
Seems your yard is perfect for picnics and lots else, including cousins.
Lots of happiness for you beautiful people. Happy Independence Day!
Probably there’s a celebration at the American Embassy in Paris!