Book of the Week: Pirates Don’t Take Baths

May 24, 2011

pirates don't take baths john segal

Back when I first started blogging (in the olden days : ), I featured one of John Segal’s books and he reached out to me via email to thank me for the post. I was so surprised and so pleased! We’ve stayed in touch ever since and I was happy to hear about his newest publication.

It’s called Pirates Don’t Take Baths. My kids love this book — especially Oscar! It’s a back-and-forth conversation between mother and child. He’s trying to argue his way out of a bath, and mom is playing along.

The story is cute and I’m such a fan of John’s illustration style. I love how he handled the smoke here:

pirates don't take baths john segal

Such a fun addition to our library.

pirates don't take baths john segal

1 Amanda May 24, 2011 at 7:35 am

This looks great! There’s a song called “Pirates Don’t Take Baths” on the CD Let’s Go Everywhere that’s really catchy. It would be cool to give the CD & book or use them together at storytime :)

2 Design Mom May 24, 2011 at 7:55 am

What a fun gift that would be, Amanda! Thanks for the idea.

3 Isil May 24, 2011 at 7:57 am

Sounds like a lovely book. Will look it up at the library.
I would love it if you linked up to my Book Sharing Monday post where we share favorite children’s books.

4 Krystle May 24, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I love your books of the week! I have an Amazon wishlist of the ones you’ve featured for my little one. Thanks for the suggestions =)

5 Mom in Mendon May 24, 2011 at 4:36 pm

This book looks darling. I agree, the smoke is great.

6 Meridith May 24, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I’ll have to get that on our next library trip. The favorite pirate book at my house is, “How I Became a Pirate.” I just like reading it because it’s fun to do the pirate voices, ARRR.

7 Kathy May 25, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I will purchase this book for my grandchildren. The colors are gorgeous.