Ask Design Mom: Vintage Wire Baskets

May 23, 2011

Question:
Hi Gabrielle, I love the wire basket you showed in your post about your trip South. Do you know where I might find something similar? Thanks, Mary.

dordogne region welcome basket

Answer:
Hi Mary! Great question. I love that basket too — I left it with Stephanie when we were ready to head back and have been craving one just like it since. From what I understand, that particular basket (pictured above) came from a flea market in France, but happily, I found some really great alternatives on eBay. Three favorites: here, here and here. Maybe I should order all 3. You can never have enough baskets, right? : )

What about you, Dear Readers? Any good sources on charming wire baskets?

1 Denise May 23, 2011 at 7:37 am

No basket ideas, but after seeing your post on Holly Farrell, I wanted to point out an artist on Etsy doing abstract work (very different from the realism, I know) that has such a unique and youthful energy. Many of the paintings are offered on canvas paper so they can be stretched and/or framed as you wish, along with a free song download. One of a kind art illustrating a song! Teenagers may love this unique intro to art. Floydvanmarek on Etsy. Beautiful abstract works at paintingforpaintingdotcom,too. So many talented people making our world even more beautiful. Grateful for them all.

2 Tisha May 23, 2011 at 8:46 am

You can get a set of 3 for $17.97 at Hobby Lobby. http://shop.hobbylobby.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=168400&F_Sort=4 I’ve been looking for some too and a friend told me she got hers there.

3 Dee May 23, 2011 at 9:20 am

I was just going to say Hobby Lobby. I bought some there years ago. And maybe HomeGoods?

4 liz May 23, 2011 at 9:23 am

Ditto the comments about Hobby Lobby! I have one very similar to the one you show…it was $6.99 and then 50% off! :)

5 Tiffany Hoehne May 23, 2011 at 11:09 am

THANK YOU, LADIES!!! I’m so excited; there is a Hobby Lobby close by, and I think I’ll be picking up some baskets today…..

6 Gabriela May 23, 2011 at 11:12 am
7 Kelly V May 23, 2011 at 11:34 am

Tag just launched their website with products direct to consumer and has a similar basket here,

8 Jennifer Radtke May 23, 2011 at 11:37 am

Looking at it…I started wondering if my hubby could make it. He’s been welding since high school and that looks simple enough. May have to run it past him when he gets home from work.

9 Dawn May 23, 2011 at 12:21 pm

De-lurking to say that my fav. place besides EBAY for vintage goods is Etsy. Just change your search option from handmade to vintage. Here are a couple of awesome ones…one with a wooden handle http://www.etsy.com/listing/74556523/vintage-wire-basket-with-wooden-handle?ref=sr_gallery_19&ga_search_query=egg+basket&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_facet=vintage

and a green one: http://www.etsy.com/listing/74537037/vintage-green-wire-basket-filled-with?ref=sr_gallery_26&ga_search_query=egg+basket&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_facet=vintage

10 Barefeet InTheKitchen May 23, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I was going to say that I “thought” I remembered seeing them at Hobby Lobby. Ha ha, apparently, so did everyone else. Great basket picture though. It makes me want one as well.

11 JourneyBeyondSurvival May 23, 2011 at 5:16 pm

I usually pick mine up when I see them. I got a similar one at Michael’s a few years ago. I also like to shop in different departments than home decor. The Bathroom aisle at Target is a good place. I got some for my kids’ Easter baskets and then we use them the rest of the year through the house. I’ve also found great stuff in the office section of stores as well, even Staples or other exclusive office supply stores.

Good luck!

12 Stephanie May 26, 2011 at 10:03 pm

You’re a dear to return that basket Gabby…I love it too! I wish I had one to bring back to the States as well…it’s always a bummer when you find that perfect thing and there is just one :(

Seeing that image again makes me “home” sick…

xo

13 Kay Miller July 25, 2011 at 6:15 am

Just stumbled upon your site while researching vintage wire basket for my etsy shop. So happy I found this and how awesome you get to stay in France for a year. It’s my dream and I’ll get to live it through you for this year.

14 char April 16, 2012 at 7:36 pm