Nine d’Urso + Haircut!

April 12, 2011

Nine de la Fressange French Style Iconimages from the book, Parisian Chic

Did I tell you I’m kind of obsessed with this girl. Her name is Nine d’Urso, and she’s the daughter of French style icon, Ines de la Fressange. I adore every picture I see of her. She seems to have such effortless style. And her clothes look so wearable to me.

Nine de la Fressange French Style Icon

So this morning at my hair appointment, I showed the stylist a picture of Nine and he gave me her cut!

It was time for something new because my curls aren’t the same here. My hair is no longer as curly as these pictures, but it does get super frizzy (I’m sure it’s something to do with the weather and the water). It’s looked pretty lackluster since we arrived, but hopefully this new cut will make it happy again.

In case you’re curious, I tweeted out a phone pic.

What about you? Where do you find your style inspiration?

P.S. — I’m kind of obsessed with Ines too. You can see more of the stylish mother and daughter in Ines’s new book. I just ordered a copy!

1 Crystal April 12, 2011 at 5:53 am

I LOVE your new haircut and glad I saw this post b/c it reminded me to follow you on twitter. I empathize with your frizzies. My hair gets that way too so Icut it all off to a pixie!

2 Design Mom April 12, 2011 at 6:23 am

I love pixie cuts, Crystal! I wore my hair in a pixie for several years after Ralph was born. Maybe that should be my next cut. : )

3 Christine Steven April 12, 2011 at 6:13 am

That girl is lovely and stylish. Her name is Nine d”Urso though; her mom is Ines de la Fressange.

4 Design Mom April 12, 2011 at 6:23 am

Thanks for letting me know, Christine! I’ll make the corrections in the post.

5 elisabeth*itsyfactor April 12, 2011 at 6:25 am

NOW you look French. Tres belle Madame!

6 Design Mom April 12, 2011 at 6:56 am

Maybe I will blend in with the natives. : )

7 Genevieve April 12, 2011 at 6:37 am

Love the cut! C’est adorable! Love Nine’s clothes as well!

8 Design Mom April 12, 2011 at 6:57 am

Thanks, Genevieve! I want to copy all her outfits.

9 Katherine in Paris April 12, 2011 at 6:38 am

Ha ha. I was just leafing through this book about 20 minutes ago. I don’t have the courage to chop off my hair right now, but I would definitely go for some of the style pointers. I love the hair cut by the way.

10 Design Mom April 12, 2011 at 6:57 am

Jealous! I placed the book order, but it says it won’t ship for several weeks. It must be back ordered.

11 Frumptastic April 12, 2011 at 6:39 am

J’adore cela! Très Français et chic!

Now I see how seven years of French paid off! I can comment on your blog!

12 Design Mom April 12, 2011 at 6:58 am

Hah! I only had 3 years of French. But I’m working on year number 4. : )

13 Sherry April 12, 2011 at 6:41 am

LOVE the new cut. Very stylish. Ohhh..how I wish I had curls. Even one would make my heart do a double flip.

Btw, I finished the book last night. She is beautiful and I had no idea who she was, but I was drooling at her style.

Au Revoir.

14 Design Mom April 12, 2011 at 6:59 am

I hope you like the book, Sherry! I’m really looking forward to reading it.

15 Naomi April 12, 2011 at 6:51 am

so cute!

16 Design Mom April 12, 2011 at 6:59 am

Thanks, Naomi!

17 Susan April 12, 2011 at 6:58 am

Yes, she is just as gorgeous as her mother. Love your cut!

18 Design Mom April 12, 2011 at 7:00 am

So true. And I love that she’s equally stylish. No doubt, thanks to her mother’s influence.

19 Starr April 12, 2011 at 7:09 am

Now this book is on my wish list. The author’s daughter looks terrific & so do you!

20 Samantha Best April 12, 2011 at 7:12 am

LOVE the new do!

21 Nicole April 12, 2011 at 7:15 am

Super cute hair on both of you! I’d love to see some pictures of what the French moms are wearing to collect the kids at school. I’m guessing it’s not yoga pants…

22 Sarah April 12, 2011 at 7:18 am

Yes, those photos look great. I love her style. It occurs to me though, that only the very, very thin can pull off a belted blazer or that tucked-in sweater without looking like a tree trunk. Beauty truly comes in all sizes, but the “effortless” part is easier when nothing makes you feel dumpy.
Great new haircut! Your whole look is fantastic.

23 Megan April 12, 2011 at 7:26 am

i love how you have embraced your “french” life! i enjoy living vicariously through you! Your haircut looks fab!
ps…the easter egg hunt sounds like a dream! my kids liked the ones at the White House but honestly, yours sounds way more fun!

24 Heather April 12, 2011 at 7:32 am

Ohhhh…I want her hair too! It’s so chic and French-ish. Unfortunately, every time I go shorter, I just can’t pull it off.

25 Maren April 12, 2011 at 7:43 am

Wow, she is so pretty! And yes, I totally love her and YOUR!!! hair! It’s gorgeous! Your stylist did such a nice job!

26 Torrie @ a place to share... April 12, 2011 at 7:58 am

I absolutely LOVE it!!

27 Denise Laborde April 12, 2011 at 8:04 am

The hair is lookin’ good, Gabby!

I’m not nearly obsessed, but a few weeks back I did pin one of those photos of Nine with the caption “I’d like to rock this hair.” (http://pinterest.com/pin/5537332/)

Bises, D

28 Erin April 12, 2011 at 8:04 am

Just got that book this weekend and I really liked it, and I definitely think there is some good advice. Now if I could just get to Paris to do some shopping…

29 christy April 12, 2011 at 8:11 am

I LOVE it! You’re going to rocking the conference, no doubt! Wish I could go! You look fabulous!

30 Heather April 12, 2011 at 8:19 am

The new cut looks great! Well done.

31 Jennifer O. April 12, 2011 at 8:25 am

I like her clothes, but my first thought was that I love her hair. And my hair would totally do that. Maybe it’s time for a trim. Your haircut is cute too.

32 caru April 12, 2011 at 8:38 am

love the hair, I used once that way, but don´t look like that, maybe is for live near to the beach.
But your hair looks great!!!!!

33 elz April 12, 2011 at 8:42 am

Do the French just grow style? Amazing. I love her looks & they are easily recreated for regular women. Yea! My hairstyle is simlar, but not as cute. C’est la vie.

34 Barchbo April 12, 2011 at 8:42 am

LOVE! Tres chic! You look gorgeous!

Thanks for introducing me to Nine – she’s fabulous!

35 Laura @ ON{thelaundry}LINE April 12, 2011 at 8:55 am

Very cute! I just got my hair cut in “The Victoria Beckham” … I wouldn’t say she’s my style icon but it sure is a good cut for somebody with hair like mine with no curl whatsoever. Completely effortless, just a blowdry and some mousse and I’m good for the day.
My husband says about the haircut “If the point was to make you look like a snobby b—, then it did its job.” I take it he’s not a fan and much prefers the longer, softer look I sported previously. ;) However, until I’m through the Postpartum Shedding stage of my life, that’s not gonna happen!

36 susan April 12, 2011 at 9:05 am

You picked a beautiful women as a style inspiration! I love the cut. :o)

37 Maria martino April 12, 2011 at 9:24 am

I LOVE IT!!

38 kelleyn April 12, 2011 at 9:41 am

Love it! You look fabulous! I think I would love this in a longer version of this haircut.

39 Marta April 12, 2011 at 9:55 am

I love your new haircut! toda una mamacita! jauajaua

40 Erin April 12, 2011 at 10:18 am

Love the haircut! I just gave myself bangs a few weeks ago. I was totally inspired by the adorable Zooey Deschanel. I showed my stylist a picture and she said as long as I would take care of them, she thought they were a great idea. A quick snip later and I couldn’t be happier!

41 Danielle B. April 12, 2011 at 10:35 am

You hair….
c’est vraiment magnifique!

42 Erin April 12, 2011 at 10:49 am

Very cute. I wonder, though, will it always be in your face and drive you nuts? Every time I do something swoopy to the side like that, I’m constantly pushing hair out of my face, leading to grease-bomb hair. I have a lot of fine hair, though–maybe you have coarser strands that actually stay where you put them!

Where to get style inspiration for hair–that’s a great question, and one I’d like to answer for myself, since I’m on the lookout for a new hair style. Flipping through magazines for a cut can be fruitless.

43 alix April 12, 2011 at 10:54 am

when you put it THAT way, it is totally tempting. not sure I am as brave as you (at the moment!).

44 Melodye April 12, 2011 at 11:00 am

Love the inspiration and I love your interpretation of her cut. Actually, I have a few waves if I let my hair air dry… my cut is sort of like hers. I’m going to air dry tomorrow and see how it looks!

I enjoy your blog :-)

45 Barbara April 12, 2011 at 11:02 am

LOVE your new haircut!

46 robyn April 12, 2011 at 11:15 am

love the cut! you look fantastic (as usual)!
am absolutely dying for a new cut, but can’t figure out what to do with my hair. the thought of not being able to throw my hair back in a ponytail is the only thing that is keeping me from chopping the whole mop off.

47 amy April 12, 2011 at 11:45 am

totally adorable…
I’d love to cut mine short for the summer, but it never looks as good as it does on others. I’ll be rockin’ the pony tail and bun again this summer!

48 Trina McNeilly April 12, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Oh I’ve been obsessing over her too & her mother’s new book. I love her name. I wonder how it is pronounced in French?

Your hair looks great btw!

xo
Trina

49 Michelle April 12, 2011 at 12:31 pm

After your post including your new “pinterests”, I glanced around and saw the picture you put up of Ines/Nine. I too became obsessed and have been Googling their images all week looking for great hair cut pics. I’ve already made an appointment for tomorrow.

So, it made me smile when I clicked on your blog today to find the new hair cut post!

Fantastique!

50 Shelley (EvenAndy) April 12, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I love the new haircut! I have had a lot of shedding since giving birth to my daughter. I plan on getting a new spring hairstyle as well. I love your new style!

51 the emily April 12, 2011 at 12:32 pm

She’s gorgeous! Love all those clothes. ALL of them.

52 Ale April 12, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I like your haircut, but I liked your curls too. Maybe now it will be easier when you wake up!
And about Miss D’Urso, I guess isn’t too hard to be stilish and to wear anything easily when your mother was a Chanel model (and Nine’s grandmother was a model too)! I mean, it must be in your DNA!
I still like Ines more than Nine… but the girl has a certain je-ne-sais-quoi, and her career is just started.

53 Robin April 12, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Tres beau!

54 MMW April 12, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I bought this book on pre-order…and have devoured it since it arrived in the mail last week. Super fun read.

And you look so chic.

55 Monica April 12, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I about fell out of my chair when I googled her and found out she is only 17! Amazing. I think she is about to join Kate Middleton as one of my style icons.

56 Lynda April 12, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Her name may be NINE, but your hair is a TEN! …DIX! :D Tres belle!

57 Kathleen April 12, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Ooh, I’ve admired Ines for ages. Of course her daughter is so chic. Book added to my wishlist!

58 bdaiss April 12, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Reminds me of Jackie O. Effortless beauty. (And yes, I am jealous.)

59 jeanne April 12, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I agree that that Nine’s style is fabulous and effortless looking. I adore her hair and your cut is perfect.

60 Kathleen April 12, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I’ll bet your hair looks so cool! I just finished that book too. I wondered if the girl was a relative she looks so much like Ines.

61 Khali April 12, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Oh I just LOVE your new haircut! Tres chic.

62 Whitney Smith Cripe April 12, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Ines de la Fressange is so chic. I saved some old Vogue covers from years ago with her photo somewhere in my buried treasures. What a French and fabulous style her daughter has too – love the photos(no surprise there!) …I’ve been thinking about a bob with bounce – this is fun inspiration.

63 Melissa Edwards April 12, 2011 at 4:54 pm

You look great and I think it makes you look younger!! So double YAY!

64 Bego April 12, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Look great!!! I love your new haircut :)

65 sarah, rsm April 12, 2011 at 5:46 pm

REALLY cute haircut!! :)

66 mrs boo radley April 12, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Lovely!
(her)
Lovely!
(you)

67 Sandra Gonzales April 12, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Are you sure you’re a mother of six? You’re too cute!

68 robin April 12, 2011 at 8:14 pm

I’m jealous! That’s like my dream cut – or my dream grow in my case. I am cursed with super fine super straight hair and always am in envy of a shoulder-length wavy bob. I believe I have a few tear sheets of them in my hair stash and over the years I have even contemplated perms! Atlas I realize I must work with what I have so a pixie it is for me…

69 JWK April 12, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Love her and LOVE the new look!!

70 Jen in TX April 12, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Gabrielle, you look beautiful. Love the new cut!

71 Kath April 12, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Oh Gabby!!

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! You’re so beautiful to begin with but this cut makes you even beautifuller (new word, yay!!)

Thanks for sharing :-)

72 Carrie Hobbs April 12, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Perfect! My hair, too, is curly, and is getting way too long and heavy. I’ve been trying decide how to get it cut. I could see it in my head, but not sure how to explain it, and hadn’t found a picture that was right. You found it!! Thank you!!

73 Kholisa April 13, 2011 at 1:33 am

So French, so chic, love the hair! Obsessed with her too, didn’t know this was her daughter thanks for that. Ordered the book already, can’t wait to get my hands on it.

74 Em April 13, 2011 at 2:26 am

oh my gosh – thankyou! i took one of those pictures to my hairdresser a few weeks ago, but i didn’t even know who it was a picture of. now i have a name i can plan my next cut too! i’m waiting for the Ines de la Fressange book to come back into stock on amazon.. it’s been on my wish list for ages.

75 nichshee April 13, 2011 at 3:14 am

Also admire Ines de la Fressange – effortlessly stylish with a wicked sense of humour – when she had her own fashion label she had the most delicious perfume but if I remember rightly she lost her label (and the right to her name) and the perfume is no longer made…

hope you ordered the book in French from Amazon.fr..

76 nichshee April 13, 2011 at 3:15 am
77 suzanne @ pretty swell April 13, 2011 at 7:04 am

LOVE the new look! Very Parisian. :)

78 Steph at Modern Parents Messy Kids April 13, 2011 at 10:28 am

Great haircut and I LOVE that girl’s style. How about you show me how to make a bunch of outfits like her on a budget (like at Target) – That’s not asking too much is it? ;)

79 Sarah April 13, 2011 at 10:29 am

So chic! I love her haircut and I love it on you!

80 Priscilla Gunn April 13, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I love the cut and style! I read about the mother, Ines, in the last issue of Vogue. She is fabulous, and I think that her book is perfect for people like me, who are very “rules” oriented with clothes:) I have to have things that are and are NOT allowed:) Kate Spade’s style book is similar:) Well done, Gabby!

81 Miranda April 13, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I do love your new cut! Stylish! Taylor Swift has been my main hair inspiration lately. People have been saying lately that I look like the “brunette version of Taylor Swift” and my hair can be pretty crazy curly. I decided to cut my hair myself because salons never seem to keep it long enough. I googled some how-tos on cutting long curly hair yourself. The results were pretty good :-)

82 Cathi April 13, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I was going to ask you to post a photo of your new do but then I saw your TwitPic. Love you hair and I’d pay big bucks to have it!! Honestly…I wish bald was “hot” because I’d be the first in line to have it done. I loathe doing my hair sooooo much. I don’t have a knack for hair and I never have. ;D

83 kpriss April 14, 2011 at 7:00 am

whoaaa! You look so French! :* lovely cut, I was considering it too but I started by chopping off an inch. (my hair is as long as yours used to be before you cut it shoulder lenght) And what do you know, I was thinking about Nine’s cut too! great minds…

84 Moira April 14, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Beautiful haircut! I will share this, though – never knew what to do with my curly/wavy hair until I saw the YouTube videos about the Deva Curl method of cleaning and styling curly hair. Anyone with curly hair would seriously benefit from Googling Deva Curl and learning more about it.

85 joanna April 14, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I definitely agree. She is beautiful and love her effortless style.
Your hair cut looks so great on you!
I love to experiment with my look. Right now I’ve got short hair with bangs. Always cut my hair short in the spring to get ready for the summer heat.

Love this post.

86 Quinn April 18, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Oooh, la, la! I LOVE her style! Wow. Totally inspiring. Just checked out her book! Thanks for the recommendation!

p.s. Your haircut is tres chic!!! It’s really beautiful on you!

87 My Traveling Troop April 18, 2011 at 10:20 pm

How do you say beautiful in French, because your new hair cut is! :)

88 Michelle G April 28, 2011 at 8:17 am

I printed this and took it to my hairdresser. It’s adorable for my wavy hair!!!

89 AmyMom8 April 28, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Love, love, love the lilac photos! Gorgeous!

90 Jennifer @ OrangePolkaDot May 1, 2011 at 5:50 am

Fab hair style! Your mention that you hair has been lackluster since arriving in France rang true with my experience abroad. For about a year or more after we moved to Barcelona from California, my hair was horrible! At first, I blamed the hair cut, but now I realize it was a combination of extremely hard water and stress. Although I was really happy with the move, it was a big adjustment, especially helping the children adapt to new school in Catalan. Anyway, once things became more or less settled (except the bureaucracy in Spain is so slow, I still don’t feel completely settled.), my hair became more normal. I also used a purifying shampoo to help remove the calcium that is in the water. Good luck!

91 Pamela Balabuszko-Reay April 30, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Love your new cut! Beautiful mama!