New Orleans

April 18, 2011

New Orleans Shop Sign

I’m back in France and feeling really happy about my trip to Mom 2.0. New Orleans is such a neat town!

On Saturday afternoon I went walking with Bossy through the French Quarter. We were meeting friends at Café Du Monde for beignets. Along the way, I started taking pictures of the pretty shop signs, and I couldn’t stop! I’ve included some of my favorites in the gallery below. You can click the photos to enlarge them.

P.S. — I’ll write more later, but the jet lag is taking over at the moment. : ) Also, the beignets were delicious! And different from the beignets here in France (which are also delicious).

New Orleans Shop Sign

New Orleans Shop Sign New Orleans Shop Sign New Orleans Shop Sign New Orleans Shop Sign

1 Carrie April 18, 2011 at 7:23 am

gorgeous! Those signs are screaming for a type designer to get to work making a French Quarter typeface. Love it. Wish we had gone this year!

2 Michelle April 18, 2011 at 7:23 am

I went there in January, such a fun, musical and foodie city!

3 Jenni April 18, 2011 at 7:26 am

I grew up in New Orleans and I used to babysit for a woman who worked at Palace Cafe. She always brought me their bleu cheese salad – I was totally obsessed with it. I honestly don’t miss much about living in NOLA but I do miss that salad!

4 Susan April 18, 2011 at 7:32 am

I heart NOLA. It is one of the most amazing cities in our country. The food, the music, the culture…I need to get back!

5 creole wisdom April 18, 2011 at 7:38 am

I went to K-Paul’s on a trip to NO right after high school graduation. The food was good and when the server learned I had just graduated she came and threw confetti all over our table. It was incredible!

6 Michelle April 18, 2011 at 7:51 am

Wish I had gone. Wish I could have heard you apply blogging to Justin Bieber! Any chance you want to send me your slide deck? ;)

7 M K Countryman April 18, 2011 at 8:18 am

I can’t believe you were there. I was there – right there at Cafe du Monde – with my kids the last week of March. My mother lives on the North Shore and so I grew up going down there. I took my kids people watching and my oldest loves the street music. There is a show on HBO called Treme, named after a neighborhood due west(?) of the French Quarter. Its not really appropriate for my kids but I bought the disc and have to fast forward through it to find the music scenes for my (10 year old) daughter. Not that this has much to do with your post, except I am blown away that I was almost there when you were – and I have pics of my kids in the quarter, probably with some of these signs in them! Flying across the ocean for a weekend exhausts me just thinking about it.

8 Courtney April 18, 2011 at 8:38 am

oh how i miss visiting there…. my aunt used to live there and i loved it. i haven’t been back since the hurricane.

9 Jenn April 18, 2011 at 9:07 am

I love New Orleans. Its my favorite city. Can’t wait to hear more!

10 Starr April 18, 2011 at 9:14 am

Cafe du Monde is one of my favorite places from crazy weekend trips during college. My husband and I (looooong before he was my husband — or my boyfriend for that matter) had beignets there one muggy Saturday morning. Now our kids request beignets for special breakfasts. But homemade, wonderful though they are, don’t compare to beignets eaten on a park bench in Jackson Square watching the street performers.

11 kristina@beancakes April 18, 2011 at 9:21 am

“special hot lunches,” i love this simplicity in this one.

12 ChantaleP April 18, 2011 at 10:04 am

So.. did you take photos of the New Orleans beignet? Maybe you can do a ‘what’s the difference’ between the New Orleans beignet and the French one! lol.. yummy…

13 Adrienne April 18, 2011 at 10:16 am

This is such a cool idea – I’m kind of obsessed with fonts/typefaces and find this so appealing! Went to New Orleans as a teenager and remember getting up early to have beignets and hot chocolate at Cafe du Monde – one of those memories that really sticks with you. Glad you had a good trip!

14 Anne (flax & twine) April 18, 2011 at 10:39 am

Don’t you just love New Orleans!!~ I went on an anniversary trip with my hubby there this year and we fell in love all over again. What a charming spot. All the old signs and the european feel. Thanks for sharing these – love the french quarter.

15 Lyerly April 18, 2011 at 11:06 am

My home town! My parents met in a bar in the Quarter… gets in your blood and stays there. I can smell the jasmine and taste the beignets!

16 Kim Simmonds April 18, 2011 at 11:44 am

That’s why I love Boston-all of the old signs!

17 Angel @ | 77inspire | April 18, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I need to go visit. The signs looks awesome. thanks for sharing.

18 stephanie smirnov April 18, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Brilliant, love the signs. It was so good to see you, always love panel-ling with you.

19 cassie o April 18, 2011 at 1:17 pm

i hope you tried the creme brulee at the court of two sisters!

years ago when i waitressed, i served two women who ordered creme brulee for dessert. they proceeded to tell me they’ve ordered it all over the world, but the very best they’ve found is in new orldeans at the court of two sisters and i’ve wanted to try it ever since!

20 elz April 18, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I barely saw you, and barely saw my friend Georgia (sniff). I have a hard time making my way over to bloggers who I know have business connections to make. But, I should have told you how much I appreciate your writing voice/style/blogging. One of the best moments for me was when you pulled me aside and told me you liked my outfit. It was a double thumbs up- one for you and one for French style (by proxy)!

21 Nikki April 18, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I had beignets for the first time this weekend! Although Seattle beignets are probably different than New Orleans beignets!

22 kelleyn April 18, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Love that city!

23 Teresa April 18, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I went to Tulane for undergrad and miss New Orleans everyday since I graduated 8 (!) years ago. My husband and I are such fans of the city we named our now 2-month old daughter Nola :)

24 Allison April 19, 2011 at 8:29 am

Gabby- Thank you for taking a picture of Adler’s. This awesome store is where my grandfather purchased my grandmother’s wedding ring (which is now mine). Thanks to you I now have a great shot. Great to meet you in NOLA.

25 Carol April 19, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Love this post! I’m going to NOLA next month!

26 Bego April 19, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Beautiful pictures

27 BOSSY April 19, 2011 at 6:35 pm

It was lovely being with you. Truly.

28 Cynthia April 20, 2011 at 1:22 am

Just returned from French Quarter Fest and had a wonderful 1st visit to NOLA. It was beautiful! Love your sign pictures, the perfect compilation!