More Birthdays

April 20, 2011

More Birthdays American Cancer Society

Mom 2.0 was terrific. I loved getting to visit New Orleans for the first time, and loved my hotel room at the Ritz Carlton. Can we have a vote that all conferences from now on be held at Ritz Carltons? : )

During the conference, the American Cancer Society hosted a cupcake reception, tied in with their More Birthdays campaign. Everybody in the room lit a birthday candle on their cupcake and sang Happy Birthday together — it was one of those unexpectedly powerful moments. (I love those moments!) They also had a series of amazing artwork turned into wrapping paper and gave out sheets of wrapping to attendees.

More Birthdays American Cancer Society

Artwork as wrapping paper accompanied by cupcakes and birthday candles is the sort of promotion that totally speaks to me. I loved everything about it. Great job, American Cancer Society! Want to get in on the action? You can order your own wrapping paper by clicking on the artwork here.

- I really enjoyed my panel on Friday morning. The brillant Stephanie Smirnoff did an excellent job moderating. And my fellow panelists, Shelly Kramer and Erica Diamond, were smart and engaging. I could have listened to all three of them for hours.

- After her keynote panel, I sat down and chatted with endlessly interesting Vanessa Holden. You probably recognize her name because she just left her position as Editor of Martha Stewart Living to become a Creative Director at West Elm. Her career has been in traditional media, but I love that she seems to totally respect new media and never makes you feel like your blog is just a “cute little hobby”.

- Heather of Dooce told me how hard she laughed at Ralph’s April Fools video. I told Ralph that the most famous blogger in the world loved his video and it made his day!

- On Saturday night, there was a reading at the Eiffel Society sponsored by Tide Loads of Hope. Eleven authors each read one of their pieces. I laughed and cried and then laughed and cried some more. $10,000 was raised and donated to the Red Cross.

- Kyran Pittman gave me a copy of her new memoir, Planting Dandelions. I devoured it on the plane ride home. So good! I loved reading about how her parenting style has become more relaxed over the years. I could relate.

- Dreyers/Edys was one of the sponsors and every time I walked by their booth I would grab another serving of ice cream. I bet I consumed 15 different servings. I’m not even kidding.

- My favorite part of any conference I attend is spending time with Laura Mayes and Laurie Smithwick. If you know them, count yourself lucky!

P.S. —   Did I tell you my luggage didn’t make it back to France with me? I flew from New Orleans to Charlotte and my layover was so short, that I literally had to run for the Paris plane and barely made it before the door was closed — alas, my checked bag didn’t make the flight. But my suitcase was delivered to my door this morning and happily, everything arrived intact. Guess what it was full of… Easter candy! For souvenirs, my kids requested as many Peeps and mini Reeses as I could carry.

1 Chantale April 20, 2011 at 7:47 am

The artwork is beautiful! All of them.. I loved reading this & hearing about your time in NO. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall just looking, learning, listening. Glad to hear your Peeps and Mini Reeses made it back to France for your kiddos! Sadness averted. ; )

2 whitneyingram April 20, 2011 at 8:01 am

I have been reading your blog for a few years now and I have to pay you a compliment. You are one of the very few bloggers that isn’t pretentious. You can talk about being on a blogging trip and not sound like a name-dropping douche bag (can I say that? That was probably inappropriate and I will regret it). You don’t portray a I’m-way-cooler-than-all-of-you-idiots-that-read-my-blog attitude. There are far too many cool blogs with blog authors that just ruin it with that type of attitude. You don’t seem to try and craft some made-up lifestyle and show it off on your blog. You seem real and I will bet you are just the same on your blog as you are in person.

3 kirida April 20, 2011 at 8:49 am

I really love that there was service component to Mom 2.0 this year, even if I didn’t go. That was so impressive to see conference attendees giving back to a community. I wish more conferences had that as part of the schedule. Also, I love what you brought back to France: candies that I will definitely be devouring this weekend.

4 Amber April 20, 2011 at 8:58 am

What a dream! I can feel from your writing your passion for your work but no contest to your family. Gabrielle Blair you rock this Internet world.

5 Heather W. April 20, 2011 at 9:33 am

We went to NOLA in February and stayed at Renaissance New Orleans Arts Hotel. It was really nice. It was an old factory they renovated into a hotel. There was a ton of art by local artists all over the building.

6 Damaris @Kitchen Corners April 20, 2011 at 10:16 am

This post is awesome Gaby. I love how short and consise you were. I know from experience that going to conferences you just want to write about everything and so I always write these LOOOONG posts. This one was perfect. It didn’t make us feel totally left out for not going.

Go Ralph! Dooce is so great.

And lastly if you brought a lot of peeps back with you you guys should do Peeps S’mores. I bet the French kids would love to roast their Peeps and make S’mores, a total American treat.

Have a lovely easter party.

7 Morra April 20, 2011 at 10:20 am

Gabrielle- I was part of the American Cancer Society team at Mom2.0 this year and I just have to say thank you thank you thank you for your kind words. I’m so sorry we didn’t get to meet.
You totally made my day!
Morra

8 Mir April 20, 2011 at 10:30 am

But, wait, I told you how much I loved Ralph’s video, but you didn’t tell him about me?? (Kidding! But not about loving Ralph’s vid!)

So nice to see you, even if only briefly. :) Happy Easter to you and yours!

9 Mae @ Here in This House April 20, 2011 at 10:36 am

thx for the link to the wrapping paper. i couldn’t see bringing home rolls of paper without them getting all squashed!

i also just wanted to say that i really really loved your panel. not all of the panels i attended were so educational and helpful and tangible. you, erica, shelly and stephanie did a great job! (of course, it was great to hear, in your own words, each of your stories, too.)

lovely to have met you (briefly) and hope to see you again soon!

10 Laura Mayes April 20, 2011 at 10:44 am

Love.

11 Laura Mayes April 20, 2011 at 10:46 am

Also. And maybe more importantly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kffacxfA7G4

12 na paapa April 20, 2011 at 10:51 am

Wow, looks like someone had way too much fun in New Orleans :) Loved all the prints on the wrapping paper.

13 JourneyBeyondSurvival April 20, 2011 at 11:19 am

Ha! Thanks for sharing the souvenir info. I would love to see the little French faces. Are they going to admit they love the American fatmakingmachine junk food? Or turn up their noses? I’m betting that the kids will devour it and the parents will sniff. Just like us.

That’s awesome that the Dooce loved Ralph’s video. The two of you probably just cemented his career choice. For at least a year.

14 Angela April 20, 2011 at 11:55 am

Whitney, as someone who has had the pleasure of meeting and knowing Gabby, I assure you she is just as lovely and real in person. In fact that’s what I love about her, and grateful to call her my friend.

15 Susan April 20, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I hope to attend next year, sounds so wonderful!

16 Sarah {Daily Design Inspiration} April 20, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Do they not have mini-Reeses in France? Uh … I was going to say something more interesting, but now I forgot due to that shocking idea. I love mini-Reeses. Oh yes, I was going to say how much I like your comment and encouragement about our “cute little blog hobbies.” I want to meet that woman!

17 Mom101 April 20, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Your highlights were much the same as mine. What a wonderful, wonderful weekend. You of course, being a huge part of that. Welcome home.

18 r8chel April 20, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Reeses? Good call. :)

19 barchbo April 21, 2011 at 11:15 am

Easter candy! Now I know!

20 Stephanie Smirnov April 25, 2011 at 9:39 am

Gabrielle, thanks for that lovely shout-out! You were, as always, a dream panelist. How about we make it three years in a row at Mom 2.0 2012? :) Hope you had a wonderful Easter.