La Cressonnière: Maude’s Bedroom

April 21, 2011

Today, I’ve got a little photo tour of Maude’s bedroom to share with you. It’s one of the funnest rooms at La Cressonnière. When we’re not living here, it belongs to the owner’s daughter. She happens to be the same age as Maude (which is a fun coincidence!) — and if I was guessing, I would say she likes animals.

The centerpiece of the room is a beautiful bed, upholstered in colorful monkey-filled fabric.

Near the foot of the bed, there is a small desk and delicate chair. The desk drawers have little ribbon pulls instead of knobs. Mimi keeps her friendship bracelet supplies in the drawers.

Behind the desk is a bookshelf with pretty painted details.

Next to the bookshelf, there is a tall window and on the other side of the window is a grand armoire, where Mimi keeps her clothing.

Artwork hangs next to the armoire. I really like the little camel.

On the other side of the camel drawing, is a non-working fireplace and a mantel. The fireplace is concealed with a charming trompe-l’oeil painting.

And then we’re back to the bed again, because it sits right next to the fireplace. Above the bed, you’ll find a trio of paintings. Two cats (a Mr. and Mrs.) and a noble rhinocerous.

Just outside the hand-painted door, you’ll find two more animal portraits. Both dogs are dressed so finely, that I’m curious about their history.

This is the first time Maude has ever had her own room and she considers herself very lucky that it happens to be so beautiful.

What do you think of it? Would your tween daughter adore this room as much as Maude?

P.S. — You can find more photos tours from La Cressonnière here.

1 Marina {Yummy Mummy} April 21, 2011 at 10:16 am

Beautiful!

2 Sarah @ Knit York City April 21, 2011 at 10:23 am

I love those paintings of the dogs all dressed up! How whimsical!

3 jacqui April 21, 2011 at 10:32 am

Did the bedding come with? What a puffy comforter!
The rooms looks great.

4 Jenny also April 21, 2011 at 10:36 am

Lucky is right!!!

5 caru April 21, 2011 at 10:41 am

Love this house, i’ll remember “Little Womens” with those beds.
Pretty pictures!!!

6 Chantale April 21, 2011 at 10:46 am

That bed is quite the showpiece! I’d love that fabric for my daughter’s room (she’s a monkey in the chinese horoscope). What I also love is all the whimsical artwork scattered around. Lucky Maude!

7 Julie April 21, 2011 at 10:52 am

the most beautiful bedroom i’ve seen for a looong time. lucky girl <3

8 TennesseeCassie April 21, 2011 at 10:56 am

Yes! What a fresh feeling. I can only imagine the daydreams that go on in this room. My Savvy would definitely go for it. Thanks for sharing, and please thank Maude too!

9 welovecitrus April 21, 2011 at 11:07 am

love that her desk drawer has a key :-) girls secrets and treasures :-)
xo,
Ana

10 Carrie April 21, 2011 at 11:21 am

unbelievable. they are never going to have trouble renting that place out ever again.

11 joanne April 21, 2011 at 11:25 am

I’m 27 and I want that room…

12 Susan April 21, 2011 at 11:46 am

So darling!

13 Liliana April 21, 2011 at 11:50 am

I am 51 years old, and I wish this was my room!

14 Angel @ | 77inspire | April 21, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Aw so nice she’s enjoying having her own space :) It’s lovely

15 zchamu April 21, 2011 at 12:10 pm

You know what I keep thinking every time I see a post about La Cressoniere? About how this will stick with the kids and in 20, 30, 40 years they’ll create something, whether they write or paint or whatever it is they’ll do, that’s directly inspired by this experience. I am convinced Maude will write a story about a little girl who talks to the well dressed dogs in the portraits.

16 alejandra April 21, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I love this room, I adore how it’s girly without being pink. So many classic timeless details make this room beautiful and fun.

17 Mary April 21, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Oh, an eiderdown on the bed! One thing I really miss from growing up in Europe. Aren’t they wonderful? And forget being a teenager, I wouldn’t mind having that lovely room myself (and I am many decades past a teenager).

18 Andrea April 21, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Oh my goodness! What a heavenly bedroom for a tween. My Cici would go nuts over it–she’s an animal lover too.

I am SO enjoying reading about your adventures in France, and my favorite part is seeing the sweet little details in all of the rooms. They’re just so charming. Thanks for sharing!

19 Jenny April 21, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Just when I think that place can’t get any better it DOES! There are so many wonderful details and knick-knacks around. The owners must have a great eye for finding real treasures and also such a wonderful sense of whimsy. I love the house and I turn a tiny bit green (with envy, not nausea) everytime you post about it. Mostly I’m happy for you though : )
It seems you are the perfect family to be staying there. I hope you’ll eventually give us a tour of the entire place.

20 Lauren April 21, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Love the room.
Im so curious, and I don’t think you have mentioned it – where is the family that owns the house? Are they off on a grand adventure for a year as well?

21 Laura April 21, 2011 at 4:38 pm

That dog’s outfit looks a lot like Joseph Ducreux’s…

22 Abby April 21, 2011 at 8:32 pm

i just realized your logo font is Archer (hi. I’m Abby and I’m addicted to fonts…) which was TOTALLY my font personality as well in the font quiz…

you’re awesome. sorry i realized that sooooo extra late. the logo! not your awesomeness cuz i totally already knew that.

now i can read this blog entry… cuz i got really excited about the font and had to comment.

23 P.B. Lecron at A French Education April 22, 2011 at 12:44 am

Fun take on the two-century long fascination with exoticism in the decorative arts! Love the trompe l’oeil. Nice room to let your imagination go. Lucky Maude!

24 sara April 22, 2011 at 1:13 am

That bed is so beautiful. I’m really taken with the comforter/quilt – what is it made of? Its got such a gorgeous sheen to it…

25 Kady April 22, 2011 at 6:22 am

I love the room. The bed’s farbic is my favorite.

26 juliagblair April 22, 2011 at 9:15 am

Such a lovely place to sleep and such a happy place to wake up in!
Eager to follow you during your spring break!

27 Zom G. April 22, 2011 at 11:18 am

What a lucky ducky your girl is! That bedroom is beautiful. That bed is stunning. Why don’t we decorate like this in the midwest?!?

We should…I shall!

P.S. Thanks for sharing your pretty world!

28 Ale April 22, 2011 at 11:26 pm

I haven’t posted any comment the first time I’ve seen this room (it’s a lovely room and you don’t need me to tell you!), but I’ve just seen a shop on etsy that sells monkey bowls, and they look very similar to the ones on this bed: http://www.etsy.com/shop/paulmunrodesigns at the end of the first page and on the second page. So maybe someone who loved the monkeys can have some of them at home!

29 Stephanie Smirnov April 25, 2011 at 9:43 am

Like one of your commenters above, I’m dying to know more about the owners of the house. Each room you share is better than the last. That bed is spectacular, and I’m thrilled to see the matryoshkas on the book shelf! (we have an entire collection chez Smirnov, which given my husband’s origins, should not come as a surprise.)

30 julie April 27, 2011 at 9:10 am

superbes photos!
maintenant que tu parles français je pourrai de donner des commentaires dans ma langue maternelle!
J’adore ton blog et je le suis tous les jours….

Merci beaucoup!
Julie

31 Barchbo April 28, 2011 at 3:48 pm

What a perfectly gorgeous and unique first bedroom (all to herself!) How special!

32 Amanda October 14, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Hi, I know this post is old, but I saw the fabric and had to tell you that I found a few sample pieces of that same fabric at a thrift store in Mississippi (where I live) about 6 months ago. I was instantly in love with it. The pieces I have are only about 3′x2′ but I have the swatch in 4 colors. It’s just so pretty. I am going to have to use it now. Maybe in a cushion?

Your blog is so pretty.