Easter Party Invitations

April 28, 2011

Easter party invitations Minted

These are the invitations for the Easter Egg Hunt.

I ordered them from Minted. I actually chose this one-sided Easter card option and asked if they could turn it into an invitation by adding text on the back. They’re so great about customization — I love how they turned out!

Easter party invitations

The yellow border has a hint of an orange wash on one corner, and the paper is a heavy white stock. Pretty.

Easter party invitations Easter party invitations

Funny story: I was very worried about getting the French translation correct. I made my best effort, then had several different French-speakers edit it to get it just right. When I was finally satisfied, I sent my final approval to Minted and they started printing.

That night, I literally sat up in bed in the middle of the night with a gasp and slap to the forehead. I forgot to include our address! Aaaack!!

For a fix, I made a cute little map to our house and included it with the invitation. : )

Have you ever made a big mistake like that? I’m so glad there was a simple solution in this case.

Easter party invitations

1 Mary April 28, 2011 at 5:33 am

Just last week I was sending an request for proposals (RFP) I had prepared to six locations around the country. It is for a nice chunk of funding and needed to be emailed to the appropriate executive and program directors. I furiously put together six different emails trying to make sure all the email addresses were correct and once verified, off they went…without the RFP attached. A second set of emails soon followed with a DOH! and an apology…and the RFP.

2 Sherri April 28, 2011 at 6:05 am

I am a writer / editor and have worked for magazines, newspapers, agencies, etc. I have so many stories just like the one you describe – looking so closely for some things on the document that you miss the most obvious :-). Anyway – your invitations turned out very beautiful. I hope you had a great day.

3 From Belgium April 28, 2011 at 6:12 am

The date for our wedding when looking for DJ’s…

4 Diane McKinley April 28, 2011 at 6:14 am

Hi Gabrielle!
I just wanted to say that this is my first time to your blog and it is beautiful.
Your photos are stunning. I will definitely be back and can’t wait to read more!

5 Shannon April 28, 2011 at 6:28 am

For what it’s worth, I think the map/address insert is a charming touch.
The invitations are lovely. Thanks for the Minted link.

6 madeley April 28, 2011 at 6:49 am

Oh yes! This sounds all too familiar…and seeing how detail oriented you are I now feel so much better about recently making the same mistake! Just two weeks ago I designed a birthday card, with the input of a very opinionated 6 year old daughter. Every night, for a week, she would stand looking over my shoulder rewording or redesigning what would be the perfect invitation for her mermaid themed slumber/spa party. When I finally got the thumbs up i had to rush the printing in order to make sure the kids got their invites before everyone left for Spring break. I looked at the proof so many times, but of course, once i had finished printing every single invitation and lovingly painted glitter glue on the waves and floating seaweed- it dawned on me that the address had never made it on the card! A huge AGH moment did follow with some forehead smacking.
I must add that I design children’s stationery (i have a shop on Etsy / http://www.chickprint.etsy.com) …so it was a tad embarrassing to be sending out invitations with the party location handwritten on the back of the envelopes!

7 Ann April 28, 2011 at 7:09 am

that is something i would do too! So caught up in the details that you forget the obvious things…I loved the bicycle with the flowers for directions too!

8 Elena April 28, 2011 at 7:14 am

The french is perfect on the invitation. Once I helped my aunt prepare invitations; everything was sealed up in envelopes, addressed and with the stamps on, and then she had to change the date. She went with my suggestion of writing the corect date on the envelope!

9 Heather April 28, 2011 at 7:21 am

The Minted invites are beautiful. Question: did you and the children hand them out?
Love your fix on the address issue. I have had a huge error occur on a major publication. I can’t even speak of it without getting sick to my stomach all over again!!!

10 allysha April 28, 2011 at 7:52 am

Oh my goodness! Those are beautiful. I would love to have one or three to frame and then hang somewhere for Spring!

11 Chic Done Cheap April 28, 2011 at 8:00 am

How cute!! I love these!

I hope you had a nice Easter!

-Chic Done Cheap

12 Emily R April 28, 2011 at 8:07 am

So cute! It makes me want to color Easter eggs again.

13 Erin April 28, 2011 at 8:08 am

Haha — I could see myself doing that! What lovely invitations.

14 Rosa @ flutterflutter April 28, 2011 at 9:00 am

Beautiful! Perfect design for an egg hunt!

15 Bree Harris April 28, 2011 at 9:06 am

Love the invitations! They are just adorable!

16 Heather W. April 28, 2011 at 9:13 am

For my son’s 1st birthday party I asked for everyone to RSVP so I could get a head count and I forgot to put my phone number. I wanted to kick myself!

17 jules April 13, 2012 at 12:35 am

Hi… I actually just send out baby shower invites for a dear friend, i’m co-hosting it and I mixed up the RSVP number! I feel terrible; what did you do? Probably forgetting the number altogether is better than sending out an unknown number?! I’d appreciate your advice… thanks so much!

18 Ana April 28, 2011 at 10:25 am

So adorable. I want to be there hehe

19 maya April 28, 2011 at 10:30 am

For our wedding, we had a separate informal reception which I created the invitations for. We had just moved into our house in a new smaller neighborhood, and had gotten a PO Box. When I addressed the RSVP cards, I accidentally put our old zip code. We got a lot of forwarded cards from the person with the PO box at our previous town!

20 bettijo @ PagingSupermom April 28, 2011 at 11:32 am

YES! A couple years ago we were planning this HUGE 80th Birthday Party for my Grandpa. After the invitations were all printed and arrived, I realized that I’d forgotten to say it was a SURPRISE party. Big OOPS!

Funny thing is — just like with yours — several people had all looked at the invites before printing and no one noticed that key point was missing.

The invites were tall 4×9 cards (the size that fits in a No. 10 biz envelope), so I designed a simple b&w transparent vellum overlay that said: “Shhh! It’s a surprise!” I printed them at a local copy center, 3-up on the page and had them cut them. Then we slipped the vellum sheet into the envelopes over the other invites — phew! problem solved.

21 bettijo @ PagingSupermom April 28, 2011 at 11:35 am

Just wanted to clarify that the vellum overlay was cut to the exact size as the invites, and I actually think they ended up looking cuter this way. Plus it made the “surprise” thing way more obvious. It worked — Grandpa was totally caught by surprise.

22 Erin April 28, 2011 at 12:31 pm

These are really charming! I think all good moms, writers, editors have made some very basic mistakes like that before. It’s what makes us human.

23 JourneyBeyondSurvival April 28, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I hope you didn’t lose too much sleep over it, after all your hard hard work to have the invite printed too! It looks absolutely gorgeous.

I hope they like those Reese’s, for your sake. I know a lot of time peanut butter is about as appetizing as vegemite to Continentals. And the Peeps? I hope they all got eaten and enjoyed.

Good job, once again I am drooling over your color coordination.

24 amy April 28, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Those are the cutest dang invitations I’ve ever seen. I *love* minted!

On the programs to our wedding, the cover had my name and my husband’s name (which is Joseph, but he also goes by Joe). When I was making the programs, I initially wrote “Joe”, and then decided to go with the more formal “Joseph”, except that when I re-wrote it, I left the extra “e” in there…”Joeseph”! On our wedding programs! Guests teased me the whole night that I had better learn how to spell my husband’s name, now that we were married! I still feel terrible…

amy @ glass confetti

25 Dariela April 28, 2011 at 3:52 pm

They turned out great and at least it was something you could add and not something that was so wrong already written!
One time I designed an invitation for a little cousin that was doing her first communion and her mom gave me the text and it said “Christening”. I never heard that word before (My first language is Spanish) so I thought that was the way you say First Communion in English and the cards were printed and sent. She realized that it wasn’t the correct word until somebody that received the invite asked her!! Oh well!! We learned :)

26 r8chel April 28, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I’m so impressed (but not at all surprised!) that you had invitations professionally printed for this fun event. I must be too cheap or boring or something!

27 Robin April 28, 2011 at 6:57 pm

They’re perfect – even without the address!

28 Katherine April 28, 2011 at 7:12 pm

On the RSVP cards for our wedding, I didn’t leave a line for people to put their names! And my designer didn’t catch it either! My genius father printed personalized return address labels for each little envelope so I would know who they came from… A big slap on the forehead moment. The invites were darling- I love Minted too!!

29 hayley April 29, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I’m intrigued that you didn’t get the invitations printed in France!

30 Grace @ sense and simplicity March 18, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I love your invitations – so sweet with the different coloured Easter eggs on one side and the dets on the other.

On our wedding invitation I spelled my husband’s second middle name wrong. We were both students so I went and ordered them by myself as my husband-to-be was busy with something or other. It didn’t occur to me that there was more than one way to spell his name and the funny thing is nobody ever noticed (not even his mother).

31 engquist@see what i sea designs April 4, 2012 at 10:19 am

Oh I love me some pretty invitations! And those eggs are just so deliciously colorful! Such ideas they give me…

32 Luisa March 11, 2013 at 3:24 am

Hello designmom!
I’d just like to let you know I’ve nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award.
If you’d like to accept it, find all the info here:

Best regards,