April Fool’s Day!

April 1, 2011

Images by Marie Claire Idées

My kids are fantastic! They woke up at 4:00 AM this morning so they could work on April Fool’s Day pranks. They’re at school now, but based on last April 1st, I’m trying to be ready for anything.

I read that April Fool’s Day originated in France. We’re not totally sure how it works, but we hear the French celebrate by taping paper fishes to the backs of people they encounter. So, after dinner last night, my kids spent a good hour making colorful paper fish. I hope all goes well at school today. Crossing my fingers that no one gets suspended, beat up, or mercilessly mocked.

How does April First go down at your house?

P.S. — I’ve been reading Marie Claire Idées to learn more about April Celebrations here in France. They feature lots of fun fish projects.

1 Emily April 1, 2011 at 1:15 am

Poisson d’avril! Fishes plastered all over the languages staff room today ! :P

2 Design Mom April 1, 2011 at 3:43 am

How fun, Emily! Poisson d’avril to you too. : )

3 Vanessa April 1, 2011 at 2:14 am

my husband is from Spain and, there, the tradition is to stick white paper people (as opposed to fish) on the back’s of friends and family without being noticed. except they don’t do it on April 1st, but on December 28th (the day of the holy innocents: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Innocents%27_Day#Feast_days). in some places they even arrange massive outdoor flour fights!

here in Ireland, we celebrate April Fools too… but it’s less about physical booby-trap pranks (although we do that too!) and more about verbal ‘ha-ha-i-had-you-fooled-there’ type jokes. i guess you could say it’s a day when we let our proverbial gift of the gab run wild ;) also, here, tradition says all jokes/pranks shall cease at 12 noon. which means i’ve still got a few hours left!

4 Design Mom April 1, 2011 at 3:44 am

I adore hearing how different countries celebrate. Enjoy your verbal pranks today!

5 Bego April 1, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I’m from Spain too. And the people here love to make jokes even in the television news and newspapers

6 Lindsey April 1, 2011 at 4:31 am

Came across some info regarding its French origin! http://www.kidzworld.com/article/593-april-fools-day

Hope the kids have fun!

7 Design Mom April 1, 2011 at 4:55 am

Helpful link, Lindsey. Thank you!

8 Barchbo April 1, 2011 at 4:43 am

Baby Archie woke up at 5 am this morning instead of his usual 6:45! Ha ha – a prankster at 6 months old!

Not funny.

9 Design Mom April 1, 2011 at 4:56 am

Baby Archie, promise me you’ll take a long nap today so your mom can get some rest.

10 Catarina Pereira April 1, 2011 at 4:43 am

My April the 1st is a day to celebrate my second and last baby birth…one year of littlle Sebastian…a crazy and lovely true in this April’s fools day…
Have a nice day.
From Portugal i will continue following your adventures in france. Such inspiration…

11 Design Mom April 1, 2011 at 4:57 am

Happy birthday to Little Sebastian! Thanks for reading, Catarina.

12 P.B. Lecron at A French Education April 1, 2011 at 5:52 am

Terrific! Your kids are in the swim of things! There won’t be any problems at school, everyone ends up getting a poisson d’avril on the back, even the teachers! Funnest day of the year at school, with the exception of the very last!

13 Design Mom April 1, 2011 at 5:57 am

Thanks for the reassurance! I can’t wait to hear their report.

14 T April 1, 2011 at 6:08 am

Sadly we have no April Fools traditions. Clearly we need to get some! Your house last year sounded SO fun, can’t wait to hear all about this year!

15 Design Mom April 1, 2011 at 6:24 am

I’m sure you’ll think of something wonderful!

16 Jessica April 1, 2011 at 6:13 am

Poisson d’avril!!! My French teacher loved April 1st. Hope the kids have a great time!

17 Design Mom April 1, 2011 at 6:25 am

I took French in high school and college and seem to have no memories of poisson d’avril. Clearly, I was not paying very good attention. : )

18 Anita April 1, 2011 at 6:58 am

oh man, i had one up at 5 sewing bananas (so they’re invisibly sliced when you peel them)…
i switched the bags of cereal into the wrong boxes, but was pretty mild this year. one year i served sliced fudge with vanilla ice cream and caramel syrup next to the broccoli, and it really did look like meat, potatoes, & gravy.
enjoy your poisson d’avril!

19 Design Mom April 1, 2011 at 8:23 am

Sewing bananas? Now that’s dedication!

20 Boston Mamas April 1, 2011 at 7:08 am

G, just last night (while Laurel was setting up some pranks for Jon) I told Laurel about how your kids go all out for April Fool’s Day. This morning she said, “So what happened? Do you know what Gabrielle’s kids did???” Can’t wait to hear about what you uncover today. :-) xoxox

21 Design Mom April 1, 2011 at 8:25 am

I’ll be sure to report!

22 Jintana April 1, 2011 at 7:45 am

Happy Fools day! Does anyone know the origin of Aprils Fools day?
I found this if anyone is curious!

23 Miranda April 1, 2011 at 7:55 am

This is the first April Fool’s Day my future hubby (date: 5/21/11) and I have had together. I didn’t know what to expect. My father is a HUGE prangster and my lil’ bro took after him. My mom and I used to get to miffed at their jokes. Well, looks like I picked a man like my Pop, because this morning he called me at work to tell me he got wrote up at work and that might effect his coming promotion, the last thing I need to worry about right before our wedding, especially when all I hear about his how much his boss loves him! I was ready to start praying down on my knees and cheering the man up, just as he says the dreaded phrase “Happy April Fools! What’s April without a fool?” GRRR!!!

Happy April 1 everyone!

24 Design Mom April 1, 2011 at 8:25 am

Oh my goodness! I’m sure your heart was pounding for his unlucky news. Yay for pranks!

25 Sherri April 1, 2011 at 9:59 am

My kindergartener’s class did backwards day. He wore his uniform shirt backwards – and… his belt (nothing else would work comfortably :-). They will do computers before library instead of the way it usually is – nature walk before lunch instead of after. Crazy, right? ;-)

26 This is Carrie April 1, 2011 at 10:20 am

I always draw mustaches on my kids faces during the middle of the night. they think it’s hilarious. So far this morning, the kids have switched the cereal around in the boxes, placed fake spiders on pillows and stuffed tissue in the the ends of my shoes. We’ll see what else they’ve got planned as the day goes on.

27 Erin Defoyd April 1, 2011 at 10:50 am

in new england – today’s big april fool’s joke is SNOW!! how sad for my blooming crocuses!

28 Baboon April 1, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I love Marie-Claire Ideés!! So many cute ideas.

29 Connie April 1, 2011 at 5:10 pm

ok your son is a crack up. And he has a little of his mother’s creative genes going on. I don’t know many kids that could whip up a poem, song and a video in a evening! So funny!!

30 Patty April 1, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Ralph is a gem! Didn’t something like this happen last year?

And OK..Marie Claire Idees is the best ever..i have issues from ’03 in my studio that continue to give me inspiration and stylist joy even though i can’t read a word of french!

31 Jen Lewis April 1, 2011 at 10:45 pm

April Fool’s Day is one of my favorites. I updated my husband’s Facebook status a few times. He confessed his love for Twilight and decided to quit snowmobiling. LOL.

32 Amy T April 1, 2013 at 2:56 pm

My poor girl was awake an hour past bedtime, worried sick about being tricked today. For the easily embarrassed child, it’s torture! We tried a few gentle jokes to steel her nerves, this morning. The fish sound like fun!