Tourists in Paris

March 9, 2011

eating a crepe

Day number two in Paris and we are having a terrific time being tourists and eating banana nutella crepes (see Betty in action above).

This morning I took 4 of the kids to hunt for the Mona Lisa, we surprised Ben Blair with a watch for his birthday (the kids picked out a great-looking Swatch), then we lunched at Musee D’Orsay and admired Degas’ little ballerina for awhile.

We love your brilliant advice and can’t thank you enough for the great ideas. Seriously. Thank you!

I haven’t uploaded all of our photos yet, but here are a few from today, and from last night’s sunset boat ride on the Seine. This one was taken inside the Louvre pyramid looking out toward one of the palace towers:

pont neuf paris

This is the kids studying the Venus de Milo:

It’s fun to visit the Mona Lisa and think of the millions of others who have made the same funny little pilgrimage, but my favorite thing to see in the Louvre is this:

1 Sherri March 9, 2011 at 8:06 am

Fabulous. You guys are having such a good time. I’m homesick for Paris :-).

2 Jennelle March 9, 2011 at 8:08 am

Nice, looks like you guys are having a lovely time in Paris (totally jealous over here!)

3 Ashlea Walter March 9, 2011 at 8:11 am

How wonderful to be outside with a light jacket, enjoying a banana nutella crepe. And seeing the great masters too. What an amazing time!

I’m going to tackle my mountain of dishes now and then shovel some snow, ha!

4 Danielle March 9, 2011 at 8:23 am

*Le sigh* Oh how I love Paris! So glad you got to do the Seine boat ride – I know it’s touristy, but so magical. And the Musee D’Orsay is beautiful. Another favorite is the Rodin museum. It’s nice and small and there are sculptures in the garden.

5 Vintage Kids' Books My Kid Loves March 9, 2011 at 8:25 am

You guys are soooo lucky. What wonderful memories!

6 Kacy Faulconer March 9, 2011 at 8:28 am

Be sure and get a picture of Ralph at Jim Morrison’s grave. He’ll be mad at you some day if you don’t.

7 Nike March 9, 2011 at 8:48 am

That is the “Nike of Samothrake” who gave me my name!
Have more artsy fun!

8 kelly stewart March 9, 2011 at 8:52 am

So fun to see your kids have each other as best friends. No others to compete for their attention. I am sure Ralph and Maude and Olive as enjoying this. Great reason to make this trip. Love seeing all of your pictures Gabby. What a fun time.

9 Sarah March 9, 2011 at 9:09 am

Oh, the Venus de Milo and the Nike of Samothrace are two of my favorites in the Louvre, as well.
I also love the 19th century French paintings gallery, where you can see large-format paintings like “Liberty Leading the People” and “The Raft of the Medusa.”

10 Amanda March 9, 2011 at 9:42 am

I hope you are planning a book to chronicle and record all of this—every entry feels like a love letter to living.

xo

11 Robyn March 9, 2011 at 9:46 am

Fun. Fun. Fun.

12 Betsy March 9, 2011 at 9:46 am

mmm nutella crepes! I am a huge fan of swatch…since the 80′s! ha. Have a great time! Love the picture of the kids crossing the road holing hands! priceless.

13 Genevieve March 9, 2011 at 10:01 am

Nike is absolutely gorgeous. I still remember the first time I saw it on my first trip to France with my French class. Love the picture of the kids studying the Venus de Milo!

14 Bettijo @ Paging Supermom March 9, 2011 at 10:22 am

Hey Gabby — with baby coming, I’m shopping for strollers again. I’m seeking something lightweight and hassle-free. I was imagining this might be the same qualifications you had for the stroller you brought to France. Are you happy with it?? If so, can you share what make/model it is and why you love it?? Thanks!!

15 Hayley March 9, 2011 at 10:23 am

We’re visiting Paris next week! What boat tour did you go on?

16 Beth March 9, 2011 at 10:35 am

Living vicariously thru you…. what fun! So jealous!!!!

17 Sarah March 9, 2011 at 10:38 am

I’ve been enjoying your blog for a couple months now, and love traveling vicariously with you in France! Thanks so much for sharing. That’s one of my all time favorite sculptures also. It’s just breath taking! I wonder what the head looked like…

18 Tina March 9, 2011 at 10:46 am

Gabby,
I haven’t commented in awhile but I just have to tell you how much I love living vicariously through your journey and how much I am inspired.
Best,
Tina

19 Cari March 9, 2011 at 10:55 am

The Nike is my favorite piece of art ever. Thanks for the great shot.

20 Michelle March 9, 2011 at 10:55 am

mmmm. crepes. I love that face! I, too, was glad I had seen the Mona Lisa, but found there to be many other magnificent pieces to see at the Louvre. If I’m being honest, I liked Musee D’Orsay more. But it’s more my style of art, too!

21 Katherine March 9, 2011 at 11:11 am

Great! Can I ask you, what company did you use for the Seine boat ride? thanks!!

22 Dia March 9, 2011 at 11:24 am

that Betty Blair is just the cutest!

23 Lisa Long March 9, 2011 at 11:38 am

The Nike is my favorite statue in the Louvre too!

24 Amy M March 9, 2011 at 11:51 am

That statue is my favorite too!!

25 sara stubbert March 9, 2011 at 11:52 am

The Nike is breathtaking. You guys don’t look touristy at all – you look like you belong right there in Paris; true Europeans for that matter :)

26 Jessie March 9, 2011 at 12:07 pm

The winged victory is my favorite, too! I took her photo when I was at the Louvre about 10 years ago and she’s been at my workspace ever since! The way you approach her across that big space and the detail in her wings is breathtaking.

27 Michelle March 9, 2011 at 1:05 pm

As a soon to be mom of six (I’m due in June) I enjoy reading your blog! I am living vicariously through your family a longtime dream of mine to live abroad for a time! I had to comment when I saw you visited Musee d’Orsay. Positively my favorite part of Paris when I visited almost 20 years ago! Enjoy your wonderful year abroad!

Michelle

28 Fatima March 9, 2011 at 1:26 pm

The Winged Victory of Samothrace is my absolute favorite too!!

29 Dani Henriksen March 9, 2011 at 1:41 pm

What an incredible experience for your children to see those amazing pieces of art. The picture of them admiring the Venus de Milo just makes me want to tear up. As an Art History major who has only seen the art of the Louvre from textbooks, I am amazed at the incredible opportunity you are giving your children at such a young age. Just amazing!

30 Angela March 9, 2011 at 1:49 pm

So jealous! The Nike statue is one of my favorites as well.

31 Di March 9, 2011 at 3:47 pm

How about ice cream from Berthillon on Ile St Louis or lunch at the Mosque. Weekend market near the Bastille opera house or artisan marshmallows (called guimauve in French) from Au Pain du Sucre on Rue rambuteau near the Pompidou.

32 lakshmi March 9, 2011 at 3:56 pm

nutella banana crepes are all i ate for breakfast and sometimes dinner while we were visiting Paris ! Go betty :)
oh the Louvre … enjoy enjoy..im so jealous now ,can u feel it ?!

33 woodsermom@hotmail.com March 9, 2011 at 3:58 pm

We missed each other by a day!! We basically did all the exact same things with our nine. What I especially loved was how we would enter the 2 hour line at the Louve and Museum d’Orsay and then the security guard would immediately usher us to the front of the line and right through the door because we had small children – fantastic!! Also, several of mine insisted on the Eiffel Tower at night all lit up – Wow – when they first got there, it was twinkling. The next day we all went and did the picnic thing as well. We really enjoyed Versailles, especially the peasant village Marie made to “play peasant” in. So amazing to actually see all these wonderful things we have only been able to read about in books for so long. Sorry this was so long but just having so much fun! We are off to Nuremberg this Friday – my son is a big WWII buff and so we will tour where the trials took place.

Oh my, forgive, but one more thing – when we crossed over into France from Germany in Saint Avold we stopped at the Lorraine WWII Memorial – biggest American memorial in Europe. Absolutely breathtaking if you get the chance – over 10,000 American soldiers buried here.

34 r8chel March 9, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Banana Nutella crepes?? Yum! Those sound amazing!

35 Lori C. March 9, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I am so enjoying your time in France. Want to trade places? Here is a link to my latest DIY http://heythingschange.com/2011/03/diy-wall-poster-stripy-valance.html and how I used these items in my turbo decorating project http://heythingschange.com/2011/03/transform-your-stuffturbo-decorating.html.

Au revoir

36 Kathleen March 9, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Nike is so lovely – always makes me think of the show-stopper scene in Funny Face. My husband is taking me to Paris in September for my 40th, so I’m saving all your posts, though the kids won’t be with us this time. Really enjoying your adventures in France.

37 Allison March 9, 2011 at 6:29 pm

What a lovely time! I’m so envious of your adventures! Can’t wait to have some of my own!

38 jeneflower March 9, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Beautiful family.

39 kate March 10, 2011 at 11:50 am

What a special time. Thank you for sharing! Can’t wait to read more.

40 julie r March 10, 2011 at 1:27 pm

oh i’m jealous! what a great place to be with your family. oh the crepes, the nutella crepes! good thing we walked everywhere on our BYU study abroad because i would have come back a bit bigger from eating crepes every day. :) and yes, the Nike was one of my faves in the Louvre too! they place it in such a striking, majestic spot – right on the stairs, looking up at it (if i can remember right). it’s fantastic!!

41 becky March 10, 2011 at 2:04 pm

promise me you’ll take your family to Jardin d’Acclimatation ten minute subway ride from eiffel tower and a five minute walk from station. it was truly amazing – they way i always wanted my children to experience amusement parks…from the art installations to the centuries old gardens…and the rides are old school and blissfully dangerous (as in, if you’re silly enough to let your kid near this ride that is not roped off, you silly fault) what i truly love were all the non-pay options to play at. and fair warning, the water park is blissful and no swimsuit necessary – the french children just stripped to their undies. bliss, i’m telling you – bliss.

42 suzanne @ pretty swell March 10, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Ah, nutella crepes! I lived on those when backpacking Europe in college. Glad you guys are having such fun!

43 The Shutter March 10, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I’m having a spell over here -my heart is aching for Paris. I’m loving your journey.

44 penny March 10, 2011 at 6:55 pm

With children, you should definitely go to the Grande Galerie de l’ Evolution, a natural history museum at the Jardin des Plantes. I have never been, just admire the photos from afar, but everyone I know who has been adores it.

45 Alli March 10, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I made these & had to share with you!! So simple & your kiddos could help !

xo
alli

46 Amy March 11, 2011 at 8:05 am

The Winged Victory was my favorite thing there as well. I bought a mini recplica of her and carried her back on the plane so she wouldn’t get broken.

47 Hannah March 12, 2011 at 7:33 am

If you haven’t already, I highly recommend reading the book “Katie and the Mona Lisa” with Betty and your other younger kiddos. Such a fun way to introduce sone of the art at the Louvre, and extra meaningful now that they’ve been there!

Also, we went to the Louvre when my son was two. I have a great photo of him in his stroller in front of the Mona Lisa, reading his giant board book of construction vehicles!

48 Suzanne Stewart March 12, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Did you see Cupid and Psyche? I stared at it for EVER. I had never seen anything so beautiful in my life.

49 amy smart March 14, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I have to admit, I was slightly underwhelmed by the Mona Lisa the first time – could have been the dozens of Japanese tourist snapping flash photos that contributed. I’ve appreciated it more in the trips since. Winged Victory however, takes my breath away every time. I think it’s my favorite too.

50 Heather March 16, 2011 at 3:22 pm

awwww paris….went in 99 and have always said i want to go back…need to get on that! the louvre was amazing but my favorite was the musee d’orsay

loving looking at your pictures and reminiscing

51 Cathryn March 21, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Have you been to Rue Cler? In the 6e, next to the Eiffel Tower. It’s my favourite place….there’s a red cafe on the corner that is my little bit of Parisian heaven! Enjoy…I’m all nostalgic.