La Cressonniére: The Stairwell

March 17, 2011

Ready for another little installment of La Cressonniére house tour? Here goes.

As you leave the living room toward the studio, you come upon a grand staircase. Across from the bottom of the staircase hangs a big mirror with a gorgeous frame. It’s one of my favorite things in the whole house.

ornate mirror la cressonnière ornate mirror la cressonnière ornate mirror la cressonnière

ornate mirror la cressonnière

As you walk up the stairs, you’ll see another mirror — this one is giant! I don’t have a great shot of it, but you can see Olive and June reflected, and maybe get an idea of how big it is. The mirror magnifies the light from the window at the top of the stairs and adds much brightness to the stairwell. It’s wonderful.

stone stairwell la cressonnière reflection in mirror la cressonnière

Hanging above the stairs is this oversize lantern.

lantern la cressonnière

When you arrive at the top of the stairs, you’ll find this view of the hallway (I shared it earlier here).

french farmhouse hallway la cressonnière

Behind the door at the end of the hallway, is another little hallway leading to Olive’s bedroom, and another door, leading to a full bath. On the bathroom door hangs this gorgeous knocker.

door knocker la cressonnière

Above the bathtub, you’ll find this pretty antique cabinet that makes me smile every time I see it.

bathroom cabinet la cressonnière

In the corner of the bathroom is a tall cupboard where the towels are stacked.

towel cupboard la cressonnière

And next to the towel cupboard is this small, elegant figure drawing.

drawing la cressonnière

In the tiny hallway leading to Olive’s room, there is a rug on the floor. But it’s not a real rug — it’s painted on! Isn’t that fun?

painted rug la cressonnière

I hope you enjoyed this part of the house tour. More to come as I keep taking photos. : )

1 Nike March 17, 2011 at 9:51 am

I´ve never seen a rug painted on the floor before, but now i feel like I have to do this if I ever own a house!
Thank you for showing!

2 liz March 17, 2011 at 9:58 am

omygosh gabby it’s like this house was meant to be for your family. there is no way you can leave next year. you belong there. forever.

i bet they are so happy to have a cool family living there to appreciate every detail. I can’t wait to see what the cameras are all about!

3 Bettijo @ Paging Supermom March 17, 2011 at 9:58 am

I’ve been trying so hard not to be jealous, but I can’t help it this time. I WAN THAT MIRROR!!! It’s amazing. I guess it’s fitting that it’s St. Patty’s day because I’m GREEN with envy ;)

4 Jill V. March 17, 2011 at 9:59 am

Oh…with every post I envy you more and more….ok, maybe live through you is a better word. No let’s stick with GREEN with envy! Hey, it is St. Patrick’s Day.

Keep those pics coming!

Jill V.

5 S March 17, 2011 at 9:59 am

Every time you show a slice of La Cressonniére, it makes me long for an adventure living abroad. My husband and I would probably choose Italy, but you are certainly doing an impressive job of selling the charm and beauty of France.

6 Jill V. March 17, 2011 at 10:00 am

Didn’t see Bettijo’s post until after mine…but the green envy thing must be catchy!

7 Julie March 17, 2011 at 10:03 am

Wow! You might just living in the coolest home EVER! But seriously, it’s just beautiful. I am just a little bit jealous. :-) I love seeing the pictures. Keep ‘em coming!

8 Katherine in Paris March 17, 2011 at 10:08 am

Just beautiful. Perhaps it’s time for me to leave the city…

9 robyn March 17, 2011 at 10:21 am

So gorgeous! I’m not sure if my last response was delivered. Would you mind if I featured your blog on my blog next week?

10 Kara March 17, 2011 at 10:24 am

Every post you do about this house is amazing! The one word that keeps coming to mind to describe it is “charming.” This house is so dang charming! You could look at hundreds of design/decor magazines and still not find the level of detail or ideas that this house has, which is so inspiring. But I guess when you have hundreds of years to decorate a space, it SHOULD be this incredible!

P.S. Do you just walk around in awe sometimes and think, “I can’t believe I live here!”??? I would!

11 Anne March 17, 2011 at 10:50 am

The mirror, and painted rug, and knocker are all fantastic. But, I’m still ogling those drapes!

12 Sandra Gonzales March 17, 2011 at 10:56 am

Olive and June look ghostly in the mirror.

13 LCR March 17, 2011 at 11:23 am

Oh how I love this. I tour of a home in France in which you moved to with your family. I hope this somewhat resembles an adventure in my future as well.
Thanks for sharing!

14 Cynthia March 17, 2011 at 11:40 am

I just discovered your blog, and I must say that I am hooked! I can’t stop exploring, you have such charm in the way you write, and in your family, and photos. I love it! Will definitely be coming back to visit.

15 Karen M March 17, 2011 at 11:47 am

I love your tours! What a gem of a house you’ve found!

16 Allisa March 17, 2011 at 11:57 am

just dreamy. What lovely design & treasure.

17 Ale March 17, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I love the ceiling and the tiled floor!

18 Kacy Faulconer March 17, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Those are some gorgeous knockers.

19 lindsey stewart March 17, 2011 at 2:02 pm

These home updates are my favorites! Our little family wants to live in Italy for a few years, and this totally inspires me!

20 kirsten March 17, 2011 at 2:19 pm

You must wander around this house, feeling as if you are in a dream. So lovely, Gabrielle.

21 bdaiss March 17, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I’m not sure how you could ever find less than 100 things to call your favorite in that house. So many wonderful details and accents and art. Thank you again for sharing it all with us.

22 alix March 17, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I probably don’t need to tell you this but you are living on a movie set. Dreamy.

23 Joanna March 17, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I love the drawing. very artistic. the details are amazing!

24 http://travelingbugwiththreeboys-kelleyn.blogspot.com/ March 17, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I would love to stay in this home. It is so beautiful. Too bad I couldn’t convince my husband to let us live in France. I love that mirror. What a blessing to wake upi each morning and be surrounded by gorgeous things.

25 Heather {WhipperBerry} March 17, 2011 at 5:55 pm

oh my stars…I am soooo in love!

26 Robin March 17, 2011 at 5:57 pm

The pictures are wonderful. A just can’t get over all of the little things that just make this home incredible. I have to repeat “S’s” comment , everytime that I read your posts it makes me dream about living abroad. What an exciting adventure.

27 kendra March 17, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Beautiful! I’m so glad you post pictures of this gorgeous house! I don’t know if your going to want to leave in a year!

28 alyson boehr March 17, 2011 at 6:53 pm

I wish I had that beautiful mirror in my house…so ornate and intricate! Thanks for sending inspiration my way:) The walls are so bare here…

29 r8chel March 17, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Good grief. I hope your kids realize how ridiculously lucky they are! :)

30 Jess (Where My Heart Is) March 17, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Love the painted rug! I would love to replicate that in a house one day!

31 Meghan Beutler March 17, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I crave seeing more of this home every time you share. It’s truly beautiful.