La Cressonnière: Kitchen

March 2, 2011

Curious about the kitchen at La Cressonnière? Here’s a photo tour.

french farmhouse kitchen

This is the view you see when you enter the kitchen.

farmhouse kitchen in france

And here’s the same corner from a different angle.

french farmhouse kitchen

On the counter behind the sink, the light is so pretty. I like to take pictures there.

french farmhouse kitchen

We’ve kept a good-looking, metal citrus juicer on our counter almost our entire marriage, so it was fun to arrive here and see they had one too.

antique black stove

The kitchen is modern and up to date with a full-size, stainless steel dishwasher and refrigerator. But the defining piece is this gorgeous old stove. Apparently, it still works, but makes the kitchen really smoky, so they don’t really use it. We won’t be using it either, but we sure love looking at it. Here’s a closeup of the pretty spout and lettering:

antique stove french farmhouse

Against the wall opposite the kitchen sink, sits art deco style open shelving. It houses some of the lovely serving pieces and the gorgeous fire-engine-red Le Creuset pots. We use the bread baskets every night for dinner.

open shelving kitchen open shelving kitchen France

There is lots of artwork in the kitchen. This rabbit painting hangs near the refrigerator. I love it.

rabbit painting

Here’s a better look at the light fixture hanging over the table. Charming, no?

antique green milk glass light fixture

This red/orange cabinet has working locks with old style antique keys. The top part is full of the plates and cups we use everyday. The bottom holds casseroles and serving dishes.

orange red armoire cabinet French

This painting is of the same kitchen. It hangs next to the cabinet. The viewpoint is as if standing at the open shelving and looking toward the antique stove. Isn’t it amazing? It’s by the homeowner.

painting of kitchen Hugues Sineux

These pumpkins sit on a shelf over the antique stove. The names were scratched in when they were just tiny, and then the scars grew as the pumpkins grew. We think the dark orange shade is so pretty, but the top one is starting to decay so it’s time to say goodbye to them.

scarred pumpkins with names

P.S. — Getting tired of the house tour? I hope not. There are still lots of pretty spaces to show you — the studio, the exterior, more bedrooms, the living room…

1 ChantaleP March 2, 2011 at 6:25 am

So gorgeous, authentic and inviting! Can’t wait to see more..

2 Tanya weppler Quinn March 2, 2011 at 6:31 am

This is the most charming kitchen I have ever seen! Just stunning! It has always been a dream of mine to live in the countryside of France! Massive congratulations on your move. It is such a wonderful family experience!

3 Rachael March 2, 2011 at 6:51 am

I’m surprised by how modern the kitchen is! It’s gorgeous, of course. What a neat coincidence the juicer is!

4 Ashlea Walter March 2, 2011 at 6:56 am

What a gorgeous space – the perfect balance of old and new. I love the grey cabinets and terra cotta tiles. Rustic and modern – my favorite combo bar none. You lucky ducks!

5 Bonnie March 2, 2011 at 6:58 am

Definitely not getting tired of the house tour! I’m fascinated – please show more! I’m loving all the details!

6 Sara March 2, 2011 at 6:59 am

Gorgeous!! Definitely loving the peeks into the house!

7 amyks March 2, 2011 at 7:07 am

Love that kitchen, the gray cabinetry is so warm and modern,(they must be newer to the kitchen) but then everything else is so “worn and well loved”, the perfect mix. The painting of the kitchen is fabulous. Once again, you have shown us how this house is the perfect match for your family. Love it!

8 Kate March 2, 2011 at 7:10 am

Quite literally one of the most beautiful kitchens I have ever seen! I am in love with the turquoise light fixture.

9 Kristen Duke Photography March 2, 2011 at 7:17 am

loving the house tour! how fun to be in a space that is already decorated to match the home charm.

10 Jan @ Family Bites March 2, 2011 at 7:21 am

I am in love with this space. Artwork hanging in the kitchen? What a brilliant idea. And any kitchen filled with Le Creusets and bread baskets is a keeper in my opinion.

11 Kelly March 2, 2011 at 7:30 am

What a charming kitchen and what great taste-so rustically modern. I love the color of the cabinets with the small bursts of color. More La Cressonnière!

12 tiffany March 2, 2011 at 7:38 am

So pretty! I love the backsplash especially and all the light. :)

13 Paula March 2, 2011 at 7:41 am

What a lovely kitchen… And, no, definitely not getting tired of the tour… Please keep them coming. Thanks!

14 Jes March 2, 2011 at 7:42 am

That kitchen is so very charming. I so want to move to France or somewhere in Europe. So much fun and exploring to be had!

15 Robin March 2, 2011 at 7:44 am

Just beautiful! Getting tired of the house tour – ABSOLUTELY NOT! Love it.

16 Sandra Gonzales March 2, 2011 at 8:01 am

No, no, no!! Not tired of anything you choose to share.
Love your point of view and the sweet way you appreciate the smallest details.

17 Shannon March 2, 2011 at 8:01 am

I love these artist-landlords of yours. I felt a little light-headed when I saw the paintings in the kitchen. It’s too good! Please keep the photos coming. I’ve been searching the net for (easy) recipes for pain au chocolat. If you learn how to make them, will you share it with us?

18 Alea March 2, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I made them just before they were posted here using a recipe on kingarthurflour.com. It’s a yeast bread so I don’t know if that counts as easy to you – I just put the dough ingredients in my bread machine and push go. And I used chocolate chips instead of the fancy chocolate sticks they called for. We had them for a snack and they were great!

19 Brenna March 2, 2011 at 8:06 am

Not tired of the home updates at all! Ahh… now to daydream about my imaginary French kitchen.

20 Jen March 2, 2011 at 8:10 am

what a wonderful space to spend time in!! you really lucked out with the house – simply charming in every way!

21 Miet March 2, 2011 at 8:13 am

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

22 Bonny March 2, 2011 at 8:25 am

I love these posts!

23 JourneyBeyondSurvival March 2, 2011 at 8:32 am

Thanks so much for lettin us all live vicariously. I am digesting these posts voraciously! I love the faucet on the stove, and the painting that captures it so well.

24 Whitney Smith Cripe March 2, 2011 at 8:33 am

Gabrielle, the blue lighting fixture is spectacular. The whole kitchen, house and adventure are also, totally spectacular. Such fun. Thanks for sharing it and for always keeping such a positive and sincere voice on your blog. It’s a fun daily stop for me.

25 Kristi March 2, 2011 at 9:07 am

We will never be tired of these!

26 Kathleen March 2, 2011 at 9:19 am

Getting tired? No way. Keep the house tour coming Gabrielle! I’m getting so much inspiration. I can’t wait for a tour of the garden come spring, I need some ideas!

27 Jenny also March 2, 2011 at 9:20 am

Tired of your french home tour? Impossible!!! Eagerly awaiting the next insallment….

28 Anonymous March 2, 2011 at 9:26 am

Oh, Gabby! How perfect that YOU are there–not only because you savor every detail, but you share it all. Can’t wait to see what you have for us next.

29 Kim March 2, 2011 at 9:33 am

*sigh* I’m in love with your kitchen. The tile backsplash (which I now want for my kitchen) is gorgeous. The whole room is so warm, inviting and cozy looking, just as a kitchen should be. It’s just bursting with character and personality.

Keep the tour going! I love seeing your new home through your eyes!

30 Chris March 2, 2011 at 9:39 am

What a find this place was! It’s just wonderful in every turn!

31 Ebony Tregre March 2, 2011 at 9:45 am

Hi…..the kitchen is charming.
I noticed that the countertops are wood….like cutting boards. What do you use to keep is clean? Keep the pictures coming….

32 Meghan Beutler March 2, 2011 at 9:53 am

I will never tire of the house tour. I love the kitchen, and how the homeowners have made it so useful, but preserved its old charm. Do you cut on the wood countertops? We lived in a place once that had them and I did, but it was only on one section.

33 Sarah Williamson March 2, 2011 at 9:55 am

Don’t you dare stop posting updates of your fabulous French house! Everytime I see “Design Mom in France” pop up in my Google Reader my heart leaps and I get to pretend that I’m living in France for a few minutes. Keep it up!

34 Kristen March 2, 2011 at 10:29 am

Love the pics! I agree — keep ‘em coming. It’s absolutely charming. And might I add…I just painted my cabinets gray…it’s fun to see theirs are too.

35 Lulu March 2, 2011 at 10:35 am

I have creeped on your site forever, and am just now commenting. Your house tour photos are amazing! I live only 2 hours from you … when you’re in Denver. :) Enjoy your time in France. xoxo.

36 Lisa March 2, 2011 at 10:43 am

Never sick of this house or your adventures in France. I’m coming back every day and dreaming of doing something like this with my own family. What a year of memories that they will remember for a lifetime!

37 Cathi March 2, 2011 at 11:18 am

Oh please do not stop the tour of the house. I think you could post every single day I I would never tire of the incredible adventure you’re on. Thank you so much for sharing Gabby!!

38 Stephanie March 2, 2011 at 11:27 am

We’ll be trying the ‘scratch your name on a pumpkin’ trick this year. Brilliant. I love your wooden work surfaces. We had some like that in our gite but guests complained that they didn’t look clean (they do pick up tiny stains over time which is charcaterful) so we had to tile over them! Heartbreaking.

39 Patty March 2, 2011 at 11:37 am

More, more, more Gabby..shoot, post, shoot, post! KEEP IT COMING!

40 the sleepy time gal March 2, 2011 at 11:45 am

LOVe the light and the pumpkins. beautiful..

41 Matthew Wallace March 2, 2011 at 12:03 pm

The butcher block is gorgeous! You’re moving to France has inspired my wife and i to pack up and possibly move to Ireland next year! I can’t get enough of your posts. A bientôt!

42 DeAnn March 2, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I am wondering how you will ever leave?

43 Jessica B. March 2, 2011 at 12:49 pm

This is beautiful! I love the old stove. You could make a rubbing of the lettering above the spout as a reminder of your stay!

44 Gandhali March 2, 2011 at 12:51 pm

tired? no way! it’s amazing, please keep more coming!

45 Autumn March 2, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I am really loving the pictures of your amazing house! The more the better! Its such a beautiful and different place

46 Nicole Rogers March 2, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Oh please do not stop posting pictures. It makes my living vicariously through you so much easier!!!!!!!

47 Ann March 2, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I’d grow pumpkins just to see our names scratched in them. Tres charming… my French is average, but as a Frenchman said to me when I lived there for six months, “You’re English is VERY good.” (I’m Australian – I think he thought it was a compliment) A x

48 Holly March 2, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Spotted that aqua blue light fixture in one of the top pictures and thought it lovely. It’s the same colour as my kitchenaid! Really enjoying the house tour, thanks being so generous in showing us all about. xx H

49 Alea March 2, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I really enjoy all your pics – and have one question about the kitchen – what is that metal box looking thing next to the wine storage?
Thanks – keep them coming!

50 elz March 2, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Lovely. Just perfect. Looks warm and inviting. We also have a metal juicer in our kitchen. It’s industrial grade I think-super heavy. We use ours for margaritas. Pretty sure that is not what you use your juicer for!

51 mandi@herbanhomestead March 2, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Oh my! That is such a dreamy space. And that antique stove! I just adore it.

Keep sharing!

52 twirling betty March 2, 2011 at 2:56 pm

My goodness, it’s like you’re living in some blissful French dream of utter perfection! Tres, tres, jolie!

53 Mrs. Cox March 2, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I’m pretty sure I’d never leave that kitchen… It’s beautiful and inviting!

54 jana March 2, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I love the house tour! What a charming, wonderfully warm and inviting kitchen to relax, eat and cook in. It’s like something you see in a movie. :)

55 elisabeth*itsyfactor March 2, 2011 at 3:12 pm

You officially live in heaven. I want to see every last bit of it!

56 Kathleen March 2, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I’m drooling! It’s the perfect mix of function, charm, and beauty!

57 bdaiss March 2, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Good grief. Every time I think it can’t possibly get more amazing…and then it does. I love that stove. And yes, more please. More and more and more. Every nook. Every cranny.

(I might have to try the pumpkin thing if mine actually grow this summer!)

58 Christina March 2, 2011 at 3:50 pm

This almost makes me want to hate you! How does anyone get this lucky?!

And . . . what happens if you break something? Yikes.

59 Bettijo @ Paging Supermom March 2, 2011 at 4:49 pm

AMAZING! The light fixture is my fave. That house has so much character — it’s fabulous. Every morning when you make breakfast do you feel like you’re in heaven?

60 Nicole March 2, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I love the house tour! Keep the photos coming :)

61 Kristi Stainback March 2, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Tired of the house tour? Are you nuts? MORE!!! Every nook and cranny, please. And when the plants start sprouting in the garden, shoot those, too. I can’t wait to see the bedrooms and bathrooms, too.

62 jodi March 2, 2011 at 6:05 pm

That is amazing. Keep the photos coming! I can’t wait to see the rest of the house.

63 kirby March 2, 2011 at 6:39 pm

never tired of the house tour! i just love it!!

64 Amanda March 2, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I was *this* close to buying an old stove to actually use in the kitchen we renovated in our last house. I didn’t, which was good for resale, but in this forever house…you may have just stoked the embers on that old wanting-a-vintage-stove-fire.
And I thank you ;)

65 Zar March 2, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Oh I don’t think we could ever get tired of virtually touring La Cressonnière! Please keep them coming!

66 Jeannie from atlanticbeachlife March 2, 2011 at 8:58 pm

You really scored big with this lovely home. I’m sure the owners are thrilled to have inhabitants who treasure its nooks, crannies, and details.

67 Fran @ youfrillme March 2, 2011 at 9:56 pm

For me, its the red dish cabinet that is sticking in my head…Now I’m envisioning finding a secondhand cabinet and painting it that lovely papaya-red….mmm, luscious. Or, maybe I should paint the buffet I already have…

68 kristi March 2, 2011 at 10:12 pm

honestly, could there be any more perfect house?! like everyone else, i love sharing your adventure – thanks for doing so!

69 Pamela March 2, 2011 at 10:59 pm

not tired of seeing pics…please share more :)

70 Stephanie Smirnov March 2, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Everyone deserves a robins egg blue kitchen lamp, am swooning. But if you’re not using the stove that often because of smokiness, what are you doing for meal prep? A family can’t subsist on yogurt in chic little glass pots forever, you know ;)

71 Wida March 3, 2011 at 12:24 am

I am in love. Can I visit you, or better yet, can I be your house maid for free? Hehe. So lucky!

Wida
Missing Amsie Blog

72 Joanna March 3, 2011 at 7:45 am

that’s your kitchen? I’m jealous! Awesome!

73 suzanne @ pretty swell March 3, 2011 at 8:35 am

Beautiful! And so cozy. Loving your home tour … keep it coming!

74 Nicole March 3, 2011 at 11:18 am

LOVE the stove. It would make me want to cook cassoulet every day, smoke or not!

75 Deborah March 3, 2011 at 11:28 am

Getting tired? Are you kidding me? I’m waiting patiently for your next post on the house and life in France!

76 Rachel March 3, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Looking forward to seeing more! I love that you’re showing us your home in France. So charming.

77 Liz March 3, 2011 at 6:01 pm

gorgeous. what a treasure you have happened upon… keep all the goodness coming internet way! and i will say this sounds SO strange, but having lived in France, the sight of the outlets made me a little weepy. sheesh.

78 Jen March 3, 2011 at 9:50 pm

share away … so fun to see!!!

79 Deb March 3, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Oh my goodness. It’s so warm, inviting and beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Can’t wait to see more!

80 Jen Lewis March 4, 2011 at 2:35 am

ABSOLUTELY NOT getting tired of the house tours!!!! Please don’t stop!!

81 Anneliese March 4, 2011 at 10:36 am

What a beautiful kitchen! How can I convince my husband we need to move to Europe for a year?! ;-) I wish his job “travelled.”

82 melissa March 4, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Oh man. That place it going to be hard to leave after a year. What a great place, you guys scored!

83 rebecca March 5, 2011 at 9:01 pm

so modern, yet not at the same time. just stumbled upon your blog.. LOVE. enjoy london. :)

84 Claire March 5, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Love it! So beautiful.

85 robyn March 17, 2011 at 10:17 am

I don’t think I could ever tire of looking at these gorgeous photos. I feel like I’m living vicariously through you! You have such a wonderful opportunity there for your family and especially for your children. This time will be an incredible memory for them!

86 The Lil Bee March 21, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I loved this! Not tired of the tour at all–keep ‘em coming!

87 Krystle March 22, 2011 at 10:11 am

LOVE the colors of this kitchen! The blue cabinets that match the walls, broken up by that lovely tile and butcher block countertop!!! Definitely inspired to do something more like that with our kitchen that needs a remodel bad!

88 Myrna Jacobs June 11, 2011 at 9:56 am

You are an inspiration!

89 Joanne October 13, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I absolutely love the painting of the kitchen. It is gorgeous!

90 Jennifer April 25, 2012 at 8:31 pm

What an awesome kitchen. I’m so envious!! I’ve been following your blog but never have written anything. Getting ready to move to France with my family very soon as well. You’re an inspiration!

91 Sherry May 7, 2013 at 12:28 am