Ferris Bueller Board Game

March 22, 2011

Ferris Bueller Board Game Max Dalton

I saw this fantastic board game by Max Dalton on Upside Up. Made me smile!

Did you love watching Ferris Bueller as a teenager? Ben Blair and I watched it with Ralph over Christmas vacation. It’s so interesting to watch a teen movie through my now-parental-eyes. Some content was just right. Some felt inappropriate. And some I knew went over Ralph’s head.

Do you have any favorite movies from your teen years that you hope your kids will love to watch?

Ferris Bueller Board Game Max DaltonFerris Bueller Board Game Max Dalton

1 Wendy March 22, 2011 at 7:14 am

That is so interesting…it seems like just a few years ago that I saw Ferris Bueller as a teen but now WE are the parents! Weird! Watching it through “parent eyes” is something I’ve not thought of. I love that movie. That and Better Off Dead are fun to watch again and again.

2 Chic Done Cheap March 22, 2011 at 7:21 am

So cute! This would be really cute framed, too!

-Chic Done Cheap

3 Nikie March 22, 2011 at 7:43 am

We just watched Back to the Future. The kids thought it was funny that I still knew some of the lines. My parental ears heard more foul language that I remember as a kid. I also faked a coughing fit when Marty first meets his father who is using binoculars to spy on his mother getting dressed. Clearly, went over my head as a kid.

4 Krystle March 22, 2011 at 7:51 am

How cute is that?! I remember watching that movie and all the Brat Pack movies as a teen and I was born in the 80′s!

5 Michelle March 22, 2011 at 7:53 am

Save Ferris!

6 JourneyBeyondSurvival March 22, 2011 at 8:01 am

I’ve already shared Anne of Green Gables after reading the books. I guess my favorites on the way up were Princess Bride and then BBC’s Pride and Prejudice. I’m always ridiculously nervous about sharing them.

For some reason I’m drawing a blank on more gender neutral movies. I’m sure Mr. Survival has plenty to make up for it.

7 Jill V. March 22, 2011 at 8:11 am

Great movie…fun game!

The Breakfast Club, The Princess Bride, Back to the Future were a few of the movies we watched over and over.

8 Kelly March 22, 2011 at 8:18 am

16 Candles! And Hair. Those were two of the defining movies of my teenage years. And I’m embarrassed to admit this, but I almost started singing the song from Hair with all the sex acts in it to my kids the other day. (Anyone who’s seen the movie knows which one I’m talking about…). I was teaching them the other songs and that one almost slipped out! Whoops!

9 Robyn March 22, 2011 at 8:19 am

I loved Ferris Bueller’s Day off. I grew up in Chicago and my friends and I always dreamed of recreating his day off, but never did.

I have come to not trust the movies I loved as I teenager. There have been a few that we have shared with our older kids and they have been shocked at the language or sexual content. (And we have been uncomfortabky reminded.) So from now on, any movies we watched as teenagers need to be previewed by us –again–before we let the kids watch them!)

10 Kathleen Frances March 22, 2011 at 8:19 am

I wonder what the new ‘it’ teen movie will be for the kids of this generation. Something with Michael Cera?

11 Tricia March 22, 2011 at 8:24 am

Love it! My daughter is a huge Ferris fan. Have to get that for her!

12 deborah@applesinwonderland March 22, 2011 at 8:28 am

ferris bueller is the movie we have loved watching with our kids. in fact, our chicago trip last summer was based on ferris’ day off. my oldest (16) is very ferris like–*he’s a righteous dude*:) i must include this game in the next birthday cache, as it will forever remain a favorite around here.

13 Adventures In babywearing March 22, 2011 at 8:47 am

I know every word to this movie! Especially with Chicago as my city at that age… it’s epic! I felt that way when I watched Goonies again as an adult. My kids won’t be seeing it until they’re much older.

Stephanie

14 Olivia March 22, 2011 at 8:57 am

Oh, how fun! And great design as well.

15 dani March 22, 2011 at 9:01 am

We totally forgot about the language in that movie! We were watching it with our daughter a little while ago and she turned to us and said, “There is a lot of bad language in this movie. I don’t think I’m going to watch anymore.” And she left. Whoa! We felt sooo guilty! Hahah.

Love that board game!

16 andrea March 22, 2011 at 9:20 am

I recently re-watched 16 Candles, one of my favorite teen movies, through parent eyes and almost died at the language and innuendoes. That is one movie I loved that I will NOT being sharing with my kids. (I did find some comfort in realizing how much of it went over my head when I was a teenager.)

17 Jan @ Family Bites March 22, 2011 at 9:30 am

We adore movies and are doing a lot of the older ones with my tween boys now. The Goonies, Back to the Future, Rudy (triple love)….

I loved the Dead Poets Society when I was teen and I look forward to showing them that movie someday.

18 Heather C. March 22, 2011 at 9:43 am

So cool. I was a Pretty in Pink fan. That would make a good board game.

19 Sarah March 22, 2011 at 10:06 am

I loved Ferris Bueller when I was younger. But I agree, re-watching a lot of those 80s movies is different now that I am a parent. I think a lot of them were made before the PG-13 category was created, so you watch a PG movie, and BAM! you see full boobies in 16 Candles. Not cool to share with your teenagers, IMO.
As a youth leader, I hosted a sleepover party for some teenage girls from church, and I was like, “Hey, we should watch The Goonies; it was one of my favorites when I was a kid!” And within the first 10 minutes, they are trying to re-glue the broken genitals onto the mom’s statue of David, plus lots of crude language. Excellent choice for a church activity.

20 bdaiss March 22, 2011 at 10:33 am

One of my favorites! I can’t wait to share some movies with my kids. The Star Wars movies for sure. And Ferris. Back to the Future. Goonies. So many fun memories. I wonder if our kids will think they’re cheesy the way we think our parents favorites are?

(I watched St. Elmo’s Fire this morning while on the treadmill. Totally 80s!)

21 Tori Andersen March 22, 2011 at 11:41 am

my husband and I fell in love watching back to the future…ha ha! but i love me any john hughes movies!

p.s. did you see this recut trailor for ferris bueller, as if it were out in the theatres today? it’s fabulous!

22 Tori Andersen March 22, 2011 at 11:41 am

whoops, here’s the link./..

23 Annie B March 22, 2011 at 11:44 am

We love the movie so much we named our daughter Sloane after Ferris’ girlfriend :) It brings back such great memories watching it with my dad.

Love the idea to frame it!

Thanks for sharing

24 Lori March 22, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I loved the movie so I REALLY love this game board. Thanks for sharing it. My family will be very jealous next time we host game night at our house. ;)

25 Lori March 22, 2011 at 1:04 pm

What!?!? Can you not buy it? Dissapointment…
This guy is so talented, he should be mass producing these.

26 Erin March 22, 2011 at 2:03 pm

We love FBDO. Thanks for sharing your find. It made me smile today too! I do have to admit my husband & I have both been embarrassed more than once when showing our kids one of our “favorites” from back in the day. Goonies had a lot more language than either of us remembered. Then again, we watched Grease a million times as a kids. Seeing it through “now parental eyes”, I would never consider it appropriate for kids. All those innuendos went happily over our young heads (and none of us ended up with a “bun in the oven” as a result of all the viewings)! That being said, I will NOT ever be viewing Sixteen Candles, which was my teen favorite, with my kids!

27 Lola G. March 22, 2011 at 2:04 pm

One of the first “mature” movies we took our son to (he’s now 27) was Groundhog Day. There is a scene where Bill Murray creates a romantic setting — fire in the fireplace, dims the lights, lights the candles — and I started to feel a bit squirmy, wondering how far into adult territory this might go. My totally innocent son turns to me and whispers ( he always had great movie-theater manners), “Why do they have a power failure?” It was all I could do to prevent myself from bursting out laughing when I realized that he had, in fact, seen that exact scenario in a power failure!

The dear woman who is now his wife really enjoyed that story.

28 r8chel March 22, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Believe it or not, I have never seen Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. I need to. One movie that I watched many times during my teen years was The Sound of Music. The hills are alive…

29 candice March 22, 2011 at 5:51 pm

We just showed the boys Goonies which we edited out ourselves since we both had it memorized from watching it so often as kids. The boys really liked it. We decided to try Princess Bride which was my favorite movie as a kid. When my oldest looked at the cover he exclaimed, “Is this a kissing movie? I don’t want to watch a kissing movie!” Mark and I laughed so hard. Could he have quote the movie any better without watching it? They actually ended up loving it and my 8 year son has asked to watch it a few times since.

30 Michelle March 22, 2011 at 6:10 pm

That is amazing, I LOVE this movie!

31 sven oliver March 23, 2011 at 3:59 am

I still love that movie. Strange how time flies. I remember some movies I loved when I was a kid. Many of them didn’t pass the test of time, e.g. Highlander and ET.

A little bit off-topic: I still love to watch the animated little mole from Zdenek Miler, and my kids love him, too.

32 j@makehappyblog.com March 26, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Wow…. Loved that movie. I wore out the VHS as a kid.