Olive’s Room at La Cressonnière

February 15, 2011

Here’s another peak of our rental home here in France. Today, I’ve snapped some of my favorite details from Olive’s Room. It’s actually Baby June’s room too, but my pictures of the gorgeous antique crib didn’t turned out, so we’ll revisit that yummy little tidbit later.

gorgeous headboard

This headboard is my favorite one in the house. Isn’t it lovely? Here’s a detail shot:

gorgeous headboard

handpainted wall border handpainted wall border

At first glance, it looks like the bottom half of the walls have been papered in an ornate pattern, but on closer inspection, the whole thing is a hand-painted mural. I love the elephant.

painted ceiling

The ceilings in this house are very high and make even the smallest rooms feel grand. This one is painted in colors that match the wall mural.

giraffe mother and baby

The house is full of original art. Truly, there is artwork in literally every room and hallway. One of my very favorite pieces is this sculpture of a giraffe parent and child. It appears to be sculpted right out of the wall. Here’s a detail shot:

giraffe mother and baby

When we’re not renting this house, the room functions as one of two guest rooms. In fact, this whole area of the house is typically closed off for the winter so that it doesn’t need to be heated. This bedroom is the smallest of the five in the house, but it’s still plenty big. Nine-year-old Olive feels like a queen in her own big bed.

P.S. — For those who are curious, yes, the homeowner is an artist. He works with his brother and they have amazing pieces all over our little town. I’m working on a post about it and promise to share soon.

1 Miss Stovetop February 15, 2011 at 4:00 am

Aaaah, I live in Dubai and just realised that now that you are in Europe, only 4 hours behind, your posts will come earlier so I don’t have to wait till the next day to read them! Yippie for France!

2 T@www.teacupmoments.com February 15, 2011 at 4:25 am

Gorgeous details, Design Mom! I wanted to let you to know I’m a big fan and I’m so excited for you and your French adventure.

3 Louise February 15, 2011 at 5:07 am

It may sound strange to say it, but your home in France feels so serendipitous to me – there could be no more perfect house for you all! I love the details you are sharing.

4 Elisabeth February 15, 2011 at 5:36 am

So what are you making for dinner every night? Are you going to learn French cooking?

5 Christina February 15, 2011 at 7:19 am

I’m curious about school … will the kids just take off a year? homeschooling? how are they adjusting to the new place? Thanks for letting all of us live vicariously!

6 kiera February 15, 2011 at 6:18 pm

couldn’t wonder more about that!

7 K February 15, 2011 at 7:44 am

I really, really love these posts about this home. Loving living vicariously through your family!

8 Dagmar February 15, 2011 at 7:46 am

I’ve just discovered your site and like what I read looking forward to read your families adventure in France!!
Dagmar
Iceland

9 Dani Henriksen February 15, 2011 at 8:20 am

Wow, the home owners are going to be bombarded with people wanting to rent their house after you leave. I love seeing the details, they are beautiful. Keep sharing.

10 Cindy J February 15, 2011 at 10:39 am

I agree. I want to live there next! :)

11 Betsy February 15, 2011 at 8:36 am

wow!! the house looks so cool. thecoolkidsblog.com

12 Patty February 15, 2011 at 8:40 am

Oh Gabby keep it coming..shoot post shoot post..

Nice to hear the kids are doing well!

13 SJ February 15, 2011 at 8:46 am

What a beautiful home! How fun! Thanks for sharing!

14 carolyn k February 15, 2011 at 8:50 am

I’m so excited for you. I love reading about every little detail. Thanks for sharing!

15 Bekah February 15, 2011 at 8:51 am

It is amazing. But I have a very practical question for you. Do you worry constantly about the normal wear and tear your children will inflict on everything that is so beautiful and not exactly kid friendly? Sorry to be a party pooper, just very curious!

16 kiera February 15, 2011 at 6:18 pm

yes, that is a curious question that I would love to know the answer to!

17 Erin February 15, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I would wonder, too–seems like my house is a built-in danger trap for my 11-month-old, or she is a danger to so much that I love out on display. Maybe this is the next Ask-Design-Mom question: How to balance beautiful items the adults love with the wear and tear of children?

18 suzanne @ pretty swell February 15, 2011 at 9:18 am

Beautiful! Such treasures. How lucky you are to have found such a lovely home. And I’m sure the owners feel equally blessed to have your sweet family keeping it warm and loved.

19 julie February 15, 2011 at 10:09 am

What beautiful details, and I love the colors! Well I love it all but the colors in her room look particularly beautiful!

20 Trina McNeilly February 15, 2011 at 10:14 am

That headboard is divine… so gorgeous!

21 bdaiss February 15, 2011 at 10:23 am

I love the mural. Such fun little details to discover. AND an antique crib?! So lovely.

22 amyks February 15, 2011 at 10:28 am

Lucky, lucky you…this home is just so amazingly perfect. I love that sculpture. The people who own this home are so very generous to rent it out, and leave all the art and beauty for others to discover and treasure. Thank you for sharing!

23 Cindy J February 15, 2011 at 10:39 am

Once again, thank you for these posts. Love getting to share a bit in your French adventure!

24 Mrs. Cox February 15, 2011 at 10:49 am

Just beautiful. Vicariously living through your adventures in France, divine living at that!

25 Sarah February 15, 2011 at 11:05 am

What a treat to live in the home of an artist! Beautiful!

26 Meghan Beutler February 15, 2011 at 11:15 am

How incredibly beautiful! Your France posts make me want to live abroad so much… hopefully someday.

27 laurenjanelle February 15, 2011 at 12:53 pm

it looks beautiful. great job! I love the color scheme.

28 Lizzy February 15, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Gabby, the detail posts about your lovely new home are my favorites!

29 Becky February 15, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Just love the details of your fine new French dwelling! Such enchanting aspects :)

30 Hannah Stevenson @ MiniMe Paper Dolls February 15, 2011 at 1:42 pm

WOW….what a treat!

31 Shakyra February 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Love the details! I love getting to “experience” all this as you keep us updated :)
Since I discovered what you were up to I’ve been really thinking about doing a long term vacation in Florence. We are already living the overseas experience in Sicily and I think being able to go away for a month and experience another side of Italy would be a beautiful experience. Thank you for the inspiration!

32 Bridgette February 15, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I just have to say, THIS HOUSE WAS MEANT FOR YOU!

33 Rosa @ flutterflutter February 15, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Looks SO lovely!!

34 Kathleen February 15, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Beautiful! Not only are your children gaining an amazing experience from living abroad, they are living with art! Art is such a wonderful way to open the heart and mind to impossible possibilities. What a treasure!

35 Erin February 15, 2011 at 7:16 pm

That sculptural plaque is quite neat. Love the subject, love the texture. I am always drawn to art that has that sculptural treatment. How fantastic to live in an artist’s house…I always seethe with some jealously when I see house upon house upon house with fantastic art and happy walls–the homeowners are interminably artists.

36 Lissa February 15, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Love the beams….
C’mon…show us a bit more…we’re all drooling here.
Tell us about FOOD. And the neighbors. And all your parlez-vous-ing (the sum of my french knowledge). And what each of the kids are thinking about the grand adventure so far…..

Lissa

37 Jill B. February 15, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I like the little graphic of the Eiffel tower in your Design mom logo…. :)

38 juliagblair February 15, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I’d love to see a photo of Olive in her impressive, BREATH-TAKING room!
She’d make it even more stunning! Neighbors? cows and pigs?
So many happy discoveries! Continue to Seize the day!

39 Joslyn February 15, 2011 at 9:31 pm

The house is amazing!!! What a blessing that you and your family get to actually live there!

40 christy February 15, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Enchanting. Ohhh, so Frances!

41 alyson boehr February 16, 2011 at 1:35 am

Pretty!!! I love the flower detail on the headboard:)

42 Laura February 16, 2011 at 3:34 am

Beautiful rental!! We rent in Bydgoszcz, Poland, but are lucky enough to also have a US mail address here. It was quite an adjustment moving here, but we’re settling in nicely.

Do you have a Carrefour or Auchan near you? They are great one-stop-shops for groceries, household items, etc. I took advice of neighbors and froze a few flats of strawberries over the summer so we would have them all winter. Luckily, I’ve found strawberries, blueberries and raspberries in the frozen aisle at Auchan (a French store here in Poland). Oh, and enjoy the yogurt, it’s soo much better in Europe. Good luck in your frozen fruit search. :o)

43 Karen M February 16, 2011 at 11:35 am

Oh my! That piece of artwork made my heart melt! Is it one of the owners own? If so, are there others that would be for sale?!?

44 mary February 16, 2011 at 4:24 pm

France is all about the details. Your photos are great. From my trip there i brought back beautiful little knives, spoons and napkins from just one of the many kitchen shops i saw in Paris. I can use these things every day and be reminded of France.
Can’t wait to see what you find at your local outdoor food market, we bought this divine homemade raspberry syrup that made delicious tall fizzy drinks. And look for butter from Ile de Re; it had little chunks of salt in it and is amazing with home made jam on a baguette.

45 Rachel Halatokoua February 16, 2011 at 6:50 pm

When you come back to the states, she’ll need this bed to keep the memories vivid:

46 LLH Designs February 16, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Oh mon Dieu…le lit! C’est magnifique!

Xo,
Linsey

47 christy February 18, 2011 at 10:06 am

Oh my goodness. So incredibly lovely! I hope you share photos of ALL the rooms in this gorgeous house. It seems like it was meant to be for your family to live there this year! The treehouse! The art! The floors! Just beautiful!

48 Chelle Mueller February 23, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Over this past fall I was browsing your blog and found bedding that my daughter and I fell in-love with. The bed was hanging from the ceiling. The bedspread was black and white with a punch of pink. Do you recall this particular bedspread? If so, do you remember what company it is from?

49 Susie March 7, 2011 at 5:38 am

I look forward to hearing more about the owners and their art work. Loving your pictures!

50 vanessa March 23, 2011 at 4:04 pm

love the details of the house! it does make me a bit curious about how the entire room looks, though. i haven’t a good idea of what the place looks like. can you post zoomed out photos of the rooms and house? lovely series! enjoy your family adventure :)

51 Repo XR ™ - Repossession Software August 6, 2014 at 10:01 pm

In general, it will usually cost over $50000 for a heavy-duty, used
tow truck. Some of the larger businesses have owner-operators working for them or have their own tow trucks to make
repossessions easier. Taking a look at the 2013 Venza, the improved line-up of
standard features should enhance the customer value perception of the Venza as they look at
several brand choices in the fairly crowded mid-size crossover market.