Make Your Own Birthday Candles

February 16, 2011

make your own birthday candles Martha Stewart

The Crafts Dept blog featured a clever how-to on making your own birthday candles. I think they look so cute! It would be a fun way to decorate a simple cake if you’re not in the mood to pull out your frosting tips.

How do you handle birthday cakes? Do you like to make something elaborate? My mom is a whiz with frosting and always made the fanciest layer cakes for our birthdays.

1 Kim February 16, 2011 at 4:43 am

What a great idea! And perfect timing too – my birthday is next week!

(It’s a pity Old Navy don’t ship to Australia – what stylish clothes at awesome prices!)

2 alyson boehr February 16, 2011 at 4:49 am

Also perfect timing for us…birthdays are in a few weeks :) Gonna have to try the letter candle. I usually make cupcakes for Ash…they are easier and everyone feels like they have their own mini cake!

3 Ashlea Walter February 16, 2011 at 5:23 am

Amazing. I honestly never thought to even attempt something like this. So much better than decorating the cake with icing ornaments! Take a simple cake and make it “wow” with candles. Love!

4 MrsF February 16, 2011 at 6:06 am

Perfect timing for me too!!! My daughter’s birthday is in 3 weeks and I’ve been searching absolutely everywhere for cute birthday beeswax candles. Can’t wait to get started – thanks, Gabrielle!!!

5 Ashley Rae February 16, 2011 at 8:02 am

i love this idea! I definitely will be trying this soon! :) thanks for the idea!

6 Lesley February 16, 2011 at 8:58 am

Thanks!!! My son’s birthday is in a few weeks and this is exactly what I needed.

7 Jenni February 16, 2011 at 9:04 am

Those are awesome! I’m a pretty low-key cake decorator. The biggest hit with Pea so far was two layers of white cake (from a box, unfortunately) with whipped cream and fresh blueberries sandwiched between. It looked fluffy and lovely but was a nightmare to cut into. Still, she keeps asking for another one so I would have to call it a success.

8 Lindsay C. February 16, 2011 at 9:10 am

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! I love this idea! Too cute!

9 bdaiss February 16, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Those are awesome! And who knew it could be so dang easy?

We’re in the “elaborately handmade” camp over here. I’m lucky that my mom always volunteers to make whatever I dream up. Her favorite story of my youth: my birthday is in July (hot) but she always made my birthday cakes. For my 12 or 13th birthday she thought she’d get me a special treat – a store bought cake with all the fancy flowers and such. A few days later she overheard me on the phone to an out-of-state friend. I was rehashing my birthday and told my friend how it was pretty awesome except my mom bought a fake cake. To my defense – at least she now knew how much I appreciated the hard work of her home baked cakes, even if I never outright told her!

10 Miss Stovetop February 16, 2011 at 1:42 pm

This is one of the cutest things I’ve seen in a while!

11 Shannon Best February 16, 2011 at 2:15 pm

One word: Grandma! :) She makes the best cakes and has done them for both her sons and I gave her the gift of doing them for the twins. :)

12 RainyDayCottage February 16, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I had no idea making birthday candles could be so easy! My neice has a birthday coming up and I bet should love something like this!

13 http://travelingbugwiththreeboys-kelleyn.blogspot.com/ February 16, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Adorable!

14 vanessa February 17, 2011 at 8:20 am

oh now that is the coolest idea ever. then i don’t have to feel guilty from always buying their cakes if i do this!

15 Rita February 17, 2011 at 3:57 pm

This is such a nice idea. But I’m displaying my ignorance here… how is the wick attached to it in the back? Can you buy wick and wick holders like the ones shown?

16 Sandra May 23, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Wow, i’ve never thought of making your own birthday party candles, such a cool idea!

17 Lynette Pullin February 29, 2012 at 10:58 pm

These are great. I would love to start making these for my grandkids birthdays. I have one question where do you find the flat sheets of wax?