La Cressonnière: Floors

February 18, 2011

Here’s another mini-tour of La Cressonnière. Today, I’d like to show you the old stone floors and a the view down the pretty upstairs hallway.

old stone floor

La Cressonnière dates to the 17th century. And it was added to in the 18th century. From what we understand, the stone floor in the kitchen and living room are original to the 17th century building. Apparently, in the summers, these floors and the thick stone walls keep the house very cool. (In the winter, that means slippers make a lot of sense, so that little toes stay toasty.)

The photo above is actually of the floor in the hallway upstairs. But you can find photos of the living room and kitchen floors below.

la cressonniere hallway

la cressonniere painted door

But before we get back to floors, let’s talk about this hallway. When you walk up the stairs, this is your view at the entrance to the 2nd floor. And it’s probably my favorite view in the house. The light from the windows is wonderful.

See the pretty door? It’s hand-painted, of course. And there are 2 others just like it that you can’t see in the picture. One leads to Maude’s bedroom, one leads to Oscar & Betty’s bedroom, and one leads to a little tiny hallway with a bathroom and an entrance to Olive’s bedroom. Here’s a closer shot of a door:

la cressonniere painted door

The curtains in this hallway are stunning. There a two big windows and very high ceilings, which means long, long curtains. There’s something about the long length that makes them feel so luxurious.

la cressonniere hallway curtains

They start high…

la cressonniere hallway curtains

…keep going…

la cressonniere hallway curtains

Then puddle at the bottom. It took me 3 shots to capture their entire length. : ) Here’s a close up of the lacework — makes me want to touch it:

la cressonniere hallway curtains

Now back to floors. Below is a picture of the living room floor. It has large stone pieces around the outsides and hexagon shaped tiles in the middle. The room should feel cold, but there is an enormous area rug and working fireplace that cozy it right up.

la cressonniere living room floor

This is our first time living in a house with stone floors, and I didn’t know what to expect. But so far, so good. Upkeep of the floors seems to be pretty simple and I like the feeling that they’ve already survived for centuries and my kids can’t hurt them.

For Baby June, who is 9 months old but not the least bit interested in crawling, we have a little sheepskin rug that we move from room to room so she has a soft place to roll around.

old stone floor

These shots show the floor in the kitchen. No rug here, so this room is the coldest in the house. But because it’s a busy room — lots of cooking, cleaning and people moving around, it never feels too cold to me.

old stone floor la cressonniere kitchen

Have you ever lived in a house with old stone floors? What was your experience like?

1 Amalia February 18, 2011 at 6:32 am

I grew up in an old farm house and the kitchen floors were slabs of slate. So freezing all year round! But very quaint, everyone raved about them.

2 amy February 18, 2011 at 6:41 am

we don’t have old stone, but we have terrazzo, which is concrete and marble. we refinished it during the renovation, and they are smooth and shiny. they do get slippery with very little water, and when the kids fall down you hear a splat. which is never good.
I like that in the summer they help keep the house cool too, but in the winter (even in florida) it feels cold with these floors.
But there’s no grout, and they’re indestructible, just like yours!

3 Carina February 18, 2011 at 10:52 am

I am so jealous of terrazzo floors. I think they are absolutely gorgeous! I don’t think our house could stand the weight of the pour (and I probably couldn’t afford it anyway) but I love the way terrazzo looks.

4 amy February 18, 2011 at 1:44 pm

these are old, poured in about 1960 before any of the interior walls went up. The people who refinished them said that nobody is installing floors like these anymore, except for malls, airports and supermarkets.
I wasn’t a huge fan of terrazzo before, but I’m loving them now. And did I mention, there’s no grout! ! !

5 Nutmegg February 18, 2011 at 4:30 pm

You can find Terrazzo floor tile made with recycled glass on the internet–no pouring and sanding, just gluing!

6 Sabrina February 18, 2011 at 7:02 am

What a stunning house! How are you ever going to leave it?

7 Chris February 18, 2011 at 7:39 am

i love old. such character and history in there.

8 allison {live love small} February 18, 2011 at 7:48 am

you can see there is so much history in that house. what a great experience you are having with your family!

9 Robin February 18, 2011 at 7:51 am

Love these house tours, Gabby. So beautiful and interesting. And I love imagining you and your family there.

10 Anne February 18, 2011 at 7:59 am

Your children are going to love that you took so many pictures of where you’re living. My husband is an Army brat, and he and his sisters love to go through photos of the places they lived.

11 Anna Lewis February 18, 2011 at 8:01 am

In the land of ranch style suburbia, it’s hard for me to imagine living in a house like that! Fascinating.

12 Jaci February 18, 2011 at 8:02 am

This is so great. I never in a million years would have thought of moving my family across the ocean until I read your posts and your sister’s, and now I’m racking my brain trying to think of a way to pull it off. Thanks for the encouragement and the lovely house tour.

13 Katherine in Paris February 18, 2011 at 8:08 am

I second the “How are you going to ever leave” house comment. Very beautiful indeed.

14 Anita February 18, 2011 at 8:10 am

it is stunning, and something about the age of the place feels impossible to even capture here in america. they talk about renovating a place before our country existed!
i hope you’re sending a link to the owners so they can enjoy the tributes to their house/decor that you’re doing! they might be surprised how many of your readers want to rent it next year :-)

15 laurenjanelle February 18, 2011 at 8:25 am

The flooring is beautiful. Old homes have a such a warm character.

16 Anne February 18, 2011 at 8:40 am

Those curtains are SO gorgeous. I love floors that are easy to care for. We have a stone-topped kitchen table that I adore for the same reason.

17 teresa February 18, 2011 at 9:02 am

it really does look amazing. i agree, that view down the hall is breathtaking. your photo skills are great by the way. you captured it beautifully.

18 juliagblair February 18, 2011 at 9:07 am

Joyful morning, visiting in your home! I’m happy for the home to have such
appreciative and happy residents–each and all
You bring sunlight to our home!!

Adore you all!

19 Sandra Gonzales February 18, 2011 at 9:20 am

Wow! If those walls and floors could talk….

20 Ashlea Walter February 18, 2011 at 9:30 am

So the real burning question about the Blair palace… do you have a bidet?

21 Erin February 21, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Haha! Yes! Inquiring minds must know.

22 sara February 18, 2011 at 10:37 am

This house is just spectacular. Please keep the house tours coming. I seriously can’t get enough :) So happy for the lot of you :)

23 Meghan Beutler February 18, 2011 at 10:44 am

This house gets more charming as the tours continue. Plus, I’m sure baby June will adapt well once she does start crawling, though I do love the calm of a baby before that much mobility. (Mine didn’t crawl until almost 13 months, and started walking at 16 months).

24 mlle Norvégienne February 18, 2011 at 10:48 am

the floors are gorgeous, real French charm. must be lovely to live like that!

25 julie February 18, 2011 at 11:00 am

Oh that door it’s gorgeous! and those floors, are you imagining all the many shoe’s and people who have walked across them? Do you all have cute slippers?

26 CMN February 18, 2011 at 11:25 am

Dear G,
So, I’m just sitting here thinking how much I’m enjoying all of these posts about La Cressonniere… and also thinking what a fun voyage of discovery it is for you & yours! In some respects, living in this furnished & fitted “Old World” home seems like a real departure from your own personal style, which always looks so modern and streamlined (via blog photos, of course). I wonder how living in this design style for the next year will influence your personal tastes and preferences? Just curious musings… And another fun part of the voyage of discovery for you, I’m sure. :-)

Thank you for taking the time to document and share. Simply loving it!
Best,
- C

27 Emily Vesely February 18, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I just love all the colors and textures in La Cressonniere. Makes me want to go back to France. Thanks for sharing!

28 bdaiss February 18, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Wow! Stone floors upstairs! And from the 17th century to boot.
No stone here – lots of hardwood and some congoleum (fake tile so it’s never cold). I wanted slate in the kitchen but the upkeep was more than I wanted to deal with. And I couldn’t afford in-floor heat. : )

29 Andrea February 18, 2011 at 1:34 pm

wow that door is beautiful. I love all the details in the house.

30 Dina February 18, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Oh how I love them, so beautifully worn! My in-laws bought their first home when my husband was a baby, and it was one “building” in a community of several that was a 13th century abbey, and it’s where they housed the cows! It’s absolutely beautiful and right on the water in Bretagne. My mother-in-law loves design and had a great eye when she bought the property!

31 Cathi February 18, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I suppose it depends on what one might consider old! ;D
I think you have everyone beat with the gorgeous floors of La Cressonnière.

32 Michelle February 18, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Wow such beautiful detailing, love all the pics!

33 Joanna February 18, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I felt like I actually was taken through La Cressonnière. Thanks for the mini-tour.

34 Anna February 18, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Oh those floors are gorgeous (love the hexagon ones!). And I love curtains…must get some for our windows someday.

And my 8 month old shows not the slightest interest in crawling…nor in abandoning her swaddling. Sigh.

35 Bettijo @ Paging Supermom February 19, 2011 at 6:15 am

EXQUISITE! I can just picture your family bustling around in there. What fun :)

I hope you packed plenty of those baby legwarmer things for when June gets ready to venture out on all fours!

36 Julie February 20, 2011 at 6:49 am

so much character!

37 Ransacked Goods February 20, 2011 at 2:23 pm

We have stone floor and I love the fact that they are so forgiving and don’t need a mopping all the time, they just look lived in. They have been hard on the baby though. I always worry about the kids chipping a tooth and put rubber bumpers on the steps when they are crawling. We’ve broken quite a few dishes and glasses that may have “bounced” on a wood floor. Yours are just beautiful with character.

38 Erin February 21, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I have never lived in a house with stone floors…but have always been enamored with them, in a little-girl romance kind of way. I always thought they looked so dreamy–all those Pottery Barn magazines I studied as a teenager with perfect light flowing through large, clear windows and a sisal rug (usually) underneath the bed set my heart aflutter. In reality, I think they’d be awfully cold, hard for little kids learning to walk (ouch, conk on the head) and drive your heating bill up. Thus I would want to cover them with rugs, and then what of the beautiful floors would I see? But I’m glad to see that I’m wrong for at least your lovely house!

39 marian February 22, 2011 at 8:51 am

my parents have stone floors in northern Idaho and they are wonderful; very beautiful, easy to clean and unique.

40 jessica February 22, 2011 at 10:52 am

Are you worried about your children damaging anything? I’d be terrified one of my littles would do something disastrous like cut the curtains or take a sharpie to the old painted doors. It’s giving me heart palpitations just thinking about it! ;o)

41 alyson boehr February 23, 2011 at 7:15 am

love that all the floors are not the same tile or shape! brings more depth to the house’s character :)

42 Missy W February 23, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Sounds like you need Ugg boots all around!! :)