Color Theory Valentines

February 7, 2011

Color Theory Valentine Cards Mer Mag Color Theory Valentine Cards Mer Mag

Did you have a great weekend? I hope so. We ended up with some sort of out-of-nowhere stomach flu. It started with a bang around midnight on Saturday and abruptly stopped in the middle of last night. So glad it’s already over and done with. Once I catch up on laundry it will be but a memory. : )

I think it’s going to be a great week. I’ve got some fun giveaways and lots of photos from France. If you like, you can read all about our travel day in the post below. And tomorrow, I’ll share pics of the adorable treehouse.

Right this minute, I’ve got Valentine’s Day on my mind — I’m in love with all the great card ideas out there. This one by Mer Mag is completely inspiring. What about you? Will your kids be making anything for Valentine’s Day this year?

via Black Eiffel

P.S. — More painted valentines here.

1 Jan @ Family Bites February 7, 2011 at 9:42 am

Today I wrote about the cherry marshmallows my 9 year old will be giving out to his grade 3 class. If I was a little more artistic I would be all over this colour theory idea though – it’s great.

2 Kimber February 7, 2011 at 9:47 am

Ha! I was making valentines with my daughter yesterday, and somehow they ended up in the toilet and not the mailbox. Gotta love a two-year-old!

3 bdaiss February 7, 2011 at 10:19 am

Love these! I made both kids Valentine’s cards this year. The Boy had a great time with it. The Girl didn’t notice of course. Really. Why does a 15 month old need Valentine’s? : )

4 Its Sew for You February 7, 2011 at 11:29 am

We made Valentine’s this year :) Not perfect, but fun:

5 Ana February 7, 2011 at 11:55 am

These look fantastic! I’m smitten!
Happy Monday!

6 Gayle Trini February 7, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I didnt plan to but now I am inspired!

7 the sleepy time gal February 7, 2011 at 12:15 pm

love, love the valentines. so glad people are feeling better.

8 Lara February 7, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I love this. I borrowed your idea and did valentines with my 3 year old. Instead of a brush he did a thumb print in each square. Turned out really nice! Thanks for the idea.

9 Courtney February 7, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Love this! It would be such a fun paint mixing lesson for kids, too :)

10 Andrea February 7, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Hi there! I came across your adorable post and thought you might be interested in our Have A Heart VDay Initiative for children in foster care. If you or someone you know happens to have extra valentines, please consider sending one to a child in foster care. You can find out more about our initiative here: http://on.fb.me/iarauX :) Ciao!

11 Sarah {Daily Design Inspiration} February 7, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Absolutely brilliant way to showcase beautiful Valentines colors. Thanks for the great idea!

12 Anna-Katrin February 7, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Love these cards! Totally doing this when my kids get a bit older. This year my 2 1/2 year old and I made crayon/wax paper hearts a la Martha Stewart, hung them from popsicle sticks with embroidery floss, added an extra hanging loop (mobile style) and, since she can’t yet write, used her letter stamps to write “love brennan” on each popsicle stick. Now her aunts/uncles/grandparents have a little decoration to hang in a window, and she loves that she made something for everyone!

13 Jody Brettkelly February 7, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Hi nice to meet you. Jody (Kiwi) here from Bay Area, in Ca. I’m fascinated by your travels – and what lovely tidy labelled luggage you have – our is old fraying and stained – so I have a lot to learn. Plus love your V. Cards…

14 Lindsay February 8, 2011 at 9:20 am

Love, love, love this idea. I actually have some old color theories from art school I could just recycle for this. I do like the thumbprint adaptation too!

15 Dina February 8, 2011 at 9:25 am

Oh no you were hit by “le gastro”! For some reason, it’s a winter French sickness that my entire family and friends always get sometime between December and February…feel better !

16 Ashlea Walter February 8, 2011 at 12:01 pm

ooooh, yeah. These are lovely. I’m bookmarking this idea for next year. Thanks!

Boo hoo on the stomach flu! :(

17 joya February 8, 2011 at 12:07 pm

lovely painted valentines!

here is a link to painted valentines by my 4yr old!

i love the free nature of design for a little one. love bugs & creatures anyone?
-joya

18 Bettijo @ Paging Supermom February 8, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Those painted Valentines are ADORABLE!! Love them :)

19 Steph at Modern Parents Messy Kids February 9, 2011 at 1:47 am

Love these!! The full post on how the process is super cool – I came across it when these were featured along with my Shaving Cream Valentines over at the Crafty Crow.

Here’s my original Shaving Cream Valentine Post:

20 kate January 19, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Wasn’t there a pdf “grid” offered for printout for the color wheel valentines? Am I crazy?