Cachou Lajaunie

February 22, 2011

cachou la jaunie breath mints french cachou la jaunie breath mints french

Here’s a fun little thing to show you. I was looking for a breath freshener and saw these at the supermarket. They’re called Lajaunie and they’re made in Toulouse. The “mints” are black bits — they look so small but have quite an impact. Very intense. The taste is somewhere between licorice and mint. I imagine the main ingredient is anise.

Pretty packaging. To get out the bits, you twist the top and bottom till a little opening appears. The mints in the container make a nice shaking noise, so June thinks it’s a rattle. Want to try them? You’re in luck.

cachou la jaunie breath mints french

1 norah February 22, 2011 at 4:28 am

i remember these! love the packaging.

2 La Franglaise February 22, 2011 at 4:59 am

hi hi, these are reaaally old French mints! But thanks for pointing them out as I never really noticed how great the packaging was (probably because I’ve seen them all my life). Kisses from a Parisian mama xx

3 wishful nals February 22, 2011 at 5:37 am

love these and the bright packaging.

4 Jenna Nelson February 22, 2011 at 7:28 am

My grandpa had something similar in his breast pocket when I was growing up. They were called Sen-Sen… and I loved it when he would share them with me.

5 beyond February 22, 2011 at 8:36 am

nice to see those are still exactly the same. why change a good thing, right?

6 Kammy February 22, 2011 at 9:20 am

My dad used to have something like these when I was really little. But they came in more of a tic-tac shaped box. We LOVED them. Doesn’t licorice seem odd for a breath freshener?

7 dunski February 22, 2011 at 9:33 am

oh, I love these!

8 Mom in Mendon February 22, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Perfect little gem to share. Thanks!

9 lorchick February 22, 2011 at 11:27 pm

coming from a dutch family there were always things like these in somebody’s pocket, black licorice being the treat of choice. I always found them remarkably disgusting ;)
However, I do love a good dubble zout dropje. Which is a very salty licorice, and causes the uninitiated to retch and gag and the superdutch to lick their chops. yummmmm.

10 Megan February 23, 2011 at 7:05 am

Oh, wow! I’d forgotten about these little treasure – they’re my favorite. I used to eat them like candy when I was a child.

11 Bettijo @ Paging Supermom February 23, 2011 at 2:31 pm

They sound like a rattle and the package is bright yellow — can’t see why a baby wouldn’t LOVE it.

12 Patti Lecron February 23, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Watch out! These will turn your teeth black…and they’re actually eaten as a stimulant or appetite suppressant. Although they have a licorice taste, they’re made from an Areca palm tree resin. Don’t give them to the kids! Bonne continuation!!

13 Lindsay February 25, 2011 at 9:49 am

A stimulant or appetite suppressant? And a breath freshener?? These little black bits sound too good to be true…

14 Michele outhwick March 26, 2013 at 7:30 pm

I have been unable to fnd the Cachou LaJaunie bits anywhere in Missouri.
Is there a distributor in the Kansas City area?

15 Lynette February 15, 2014 at 10:18 pm

This past week my mom sent me 6 boxes of stuff that have been in storage for 23 yrs, since I moved out west from Montréal. Just found one of these tins and really had no memory of them, or what the heck the ‘weird black stuff’ was in it, ’til now. Was pretty excited to discover they’re licorice, but now thinking it’s probably not a great idea to suck on 23 yr old mints. :) haha