A Few Things

February 18, 2011

Hello, Friends. I am so happy the weekend has arrived. Having the kids back in school means a definite feeling of relief when we can have a slow-moving morning on Saturday. We are still working through our practical settling in tasks, but hoping to do something adventurous this weekend. We’d really like to visit Mont Saint Michel — it’s about an hour and a half away and seems like a perfect day trip. If nothing else, we will make crepes for breakfast. In fact, I’m hoping it becomes a weekend tradition while we’re here. If you come visit, I will make you some. : )

While we make our weekend plans, here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share with you.
- It’s all about the details.
- Let’s host an art exhibit party.
- Love it. Desk as vanity.
- Just discovered Martha has apps!
- Are you having a boy or a girl? These pancakes will tell you. (thanks, Angel!)
- Coveting cashmere pillow poufs (pictured above).
- Jordan is on a how-to kick — Party hats and Fringey Streamers.
- Yummy. Wallpaper in the kitchen.
- I want to try this project.
- Watercolor bouquets.

And here are my Babble posts from this week:
- What’s your take on high-end cribs?
- Everything is cuter in Japan.
- I’m obsessed with this motif. I’m glad it’s everywhere right now.
- This would be perfect baby decor for minimalist parents.
- When putting together a nursery, these are go to toys for stylists.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Has it started to warm up where you are? Maybe we’ll all get outside for a bit. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

1 Tanya February 18, 2011 at 10:20 am

Those pillows are beautiful! Enjoy your weekend:)

2 sarah February 18, 2011 at 10:39 am

mont saint michel is MAGIC! you all will LOVE it! watch out for those tides! :)
i’m really enjoying your new adventure in france! congratulations!!!
happy (frenchy) weekend to you xo

3 Kariane February 18, 2011 at 10:44 am

Opening this page was crazy for me. My grandma had that same couch! And she had it piled with pillows just like the picture. However, the pillows were flat, well worn, old lady pillows. How great it looks with all the colors! I hope your weekend proves to be as lovely as you hope. One can never go wrong with crepes for breakfast.

4 Katherine February 18, 2011 at 11:04 am

Loved Mont Saint Michel! We spent the night on the island too which was fabulous. It was so dark, quiet and beautiful. Enjoy!

5 CMN February 18, 2011 at 11:13 am

Crepes for Saturday breakfast?? That definitely sounds like a tradition worth visiting for! Put me down for June… or possibly July :-)

6 molly h February 18, 2011 at 11:31 am

i love this few things fridays posts… i wish there was a single link to click to open all the links in new tabs, like you can with groups of bookmarks in firefox… cause that’s what i end up doing anyway. :)

7 Sharmyn February 18, 2011 at 11:40 am

Gabrielle,

Thanks so much for including us on the details of your wonderful adventure. I have to admit I turn on the computer each morning and go directly to your site. It’s been so fun. Thank you for being candid and open.

You will love Mont St. Michel. My husband and I got engaged there 10 years ago. In fact we are going back for our anniversary this March. If I see you and yours I’ll wave heartily!!

Sharmyn

8 Bekah February 18, 2011 at 12:03 pm

We enjoy crepes every Sunday morning. One word: heavenly!

9 Jenna {Jenna Sais Quois} February 18, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Those pillows make me so very happy! Thanks for posting!

10 Ashley Rae February 18, 2011 at 12:28 pm

those are awesome links! I am definitely going to be trying the Shrinky Dinks project! :) Happy weekend! Its 74 & sunny with a nice breeze in DC today! Cant wait for it to stay this way!! Have a nice day trip too!

11 Maren February 18, 2011 at 12:44 pm

oh my gosh I love that couch! So cool. And the white kitchen with the bright yellow wall paper!! So daring!!

12 Amy S February 18, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Mt. St. Michel is fabulous. Have some sort of baby bjorn because there are a LOT of stairs in that trip. Forget the stroller. When we went I just kept touching the walls because I couldn’t get over how old it was and how many people had passed that way before. We also joke that every cathedral in France has been both a religious center and a prison. I also bought some wonderful Gien plates there in the village at the bottom. Park in the right place or your car gets swept away! ;)

Have a great trip!

13 Meredith February 18, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I visited Mont Saint Michel with my family when I was about 5 or 6. It was one of the most memorable vacations we ever took!

14 bdaiss February 18, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Enjoy your day trip! I hope you’ll share a bit of it with us.
I want one (or ten) of those pillows. And I’m so throwing an art exhibition party for my kid and his friends this summer. Great idea!

15 Chassity (Look Linger Love) February 18, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Have a lovely weekend, Gabrielle. Today I received the “I Like You” book, and absolutely adore. Have read it to Lilly and she does too. Thanks so much!

xoxo, Chassity

16 Maelis Mittig February 18, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Mont Saint Michel is an amazing trip. You have to go!! You can walk around when it’s low tide. It’s really impressive and the views from the monastery are amazing! I grew up in Caen which must not be too far from you! If you want a fun outing Caen is a wonderful city and William the Conqueror’s Castle is amazing and fun for kids! There’s always something going on. Bon weekend!

17 Lisa @ all things * jane February 18, 2011 at 2:45 pm

The minute your pillow image loaded on this page I said “uh oh” … in a good way! My living room now needs a touch like this.

18 Deborah February 18, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Yummm! Crepes is our weekend breakfast tradition. My husband makes them and the kids love them. I’m loving all of your posts, the house is beautiful and so is your family.

19 christine February 18, 2011 at 3:44 pm

What a sweet way to find out the gender! We find out at our ultrasound in 2 weeks, but maybe I should bring pancakes into the equation.

Also, Mont St. Michel is so charming! I had such a blast when I visited, many moons ago. I hope you go and have a blast. xo

20 Emjay February 18, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Make sure to enter “Le Mont-Saint-Michel” in your GPS… I had a lot of fun last summer trying to find it before I figured it out :) Also, there is strangely France’s largest crocodile farm right next door – to be seen to believe. Enjoy your weekend!

21 Angela February 18, 2011 at 4:28 pm

We spent last years May holiday in Saint Malo, which must be on your to-do list :) We also spent one day on the Mont Saint Michel, which was awesome. I hope it is not too cold right now. Don’t take a stroller, it’s useless there!
A bit more to the south you find the town of Nantes, where Jules Verne was born, and where you really have to go and see the ‘Machines of the Isle of Nantes’, where and enormous wooden elephant (inspired by the Jules Verne tales) walks around. We consider re-visiting Nantes to see them in action (we were there on a monday) and to visit the Jules Verne museum as well.
Have a great weekend!

22 Megan Robinson February 18, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I love those pillows! They add such great color to that couch.

Your blog is amazing. Thank you for sharing so much with us!

23 Andrea February 19, 2011 at 6:20 am

I just threw that art exhibit party for my 7 yr old twins and it was a huge success– so much fun!! Enjoy your crepes!!

24 Hilltop Hausfrau February 19, 2011 at 9:49 am

Ooooh…love the shrinky dinks idea you cite…so cute!

25 Wendy @ The Shabby Nest February 19, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Hi Gabby,

Thanks so much for the shout out! I hope you have a lovely weekend.

26 Anita February 19, 2011 at 8:02 pm

check the tide schedule first–if you want it to look like an island, that’s not very often. and look for the hidden mickeys inside the monastery, especially in the cloister decor (and the scriptorium, i think).
bayeux is another must-do–the tapestry story is fascinating! they do a fun sound and lights show at the cathedral (at least on summer evenings).

27 chelsea February 20, 2011 at 12:29 am

Thanks for the link, Gabby! Hope you are having a wonderful time in France.

28 Lisa Mackin February 20, 2011 at 8:23 am

Aww! Now you really got me! When we house swapped , we stayed in Luxembourg but planned a big excursion to head spend a week Normandy and to visit St. Michel…but then my daughter was hospitalized for 9 days for an emergency appendectomy – Oh well, next time! I hope you get there safe and sound and show us lots of great pictures.

29 Sarah February 20, 2011 at 1:45 pm

hopefully you guys had a good little adventure. its still raining and cold here in central Cali. Here’s to a beautiful Spring on both sides of the Atlantic:)

30 Natalia February 20, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Mont Saint Michel is wonderful – try to drive there early in the morning, there is something magical about seeing the building coming in to view across misty fields …

oh, and thanks for the cool links :)

31 Tanya February 20, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Crepes, weekend trips! I love it!

32 elizabeth February 20, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I went to France on a high school exchange for a couple of weeks and Mont St. Michel was the day trip I remember most. I don’t know if they still let you do it, but we walked out to the island on a guided “quick sand” tour….it was so fun and really is quick sand….I bet your older kids would love it.

I still have the painted bowl that I bought there with my name on it and Mont St. Michel painted inside of it…..I wish I could go back soon.

33 TN February 21, 2011 at 2:45 am

I have a great crepe recipe on my blog. Just posted it a few weeks ago for La Chandeleur.

I can’t wait till spring is here! I would like to see Mont St. Michel also very soon. Let us know how it is with a baby and stroller! I have heard there are a lot of stairs. It’s about 4-5 hours from Paris but still a good weekend (or long weekend) trip!

34 Holly February 21, 2011 at 3:53 am

I really enjoy your few things posts. So much beauty out there to enjoy isn’t there?

35 Steph at Modern Parents Messy Kids February 21, 2011 at 11:36 am

I LOVE that pancake idea – I also posted about two more great gender reveals today:

36 sara February 21, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Thanks so much for including my blog in your Friday round up! Those pillows really are divine, aren’t they?!

37 Petit Elefant February 22, 2011 at 4:22 pm

p.s. our luggage came today. I’m doing an entire post on those carry-ons, they’re going to save me through the Paris airport, I can feel it now.

THANK YOU for that alone.

38 Angel February 25, 2011 at 10:29 am

Thank you so much for sharing the pancakes! We just had our own reveal party, but I’ve never seen anything so creative and so beautiful…what a great way to find out. Cheers!