A Few Things

February 11, 2011

valentine key collage Design Sponge

I’ve spent the day doing very practical, just-moved-to-a-new-country sorts of things. We made major progress on how we’ll be handling the kids’ schooling while we’re here. We checked out the municipal swimming pool. And we worked hard to figure out how to order more heating fuel for our house. It’s actually lovely and spring-like today, but if a cold spell hits I want to be prepared.

Will you forgive me if I wait until Monday to share more photos of La Cressonnière? I promise to take at least one million photos this weekend. To ease the wait, I have fun details about both the treehouse and the halfbath straight from the homeowners and I’ve updated both posts with new info.

While I finish up more practical tasks, here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share to with you.
- Kate’s Uncommon Valentine (pictured above). I want to copy this.
- Pretty ways to store children’s books.
- Another amazing treehouse.
- Reading list for girls.
- Love is where you find it.
- Eden and Alice wrote a book and we should all read it. They are both brilliant and super funny.
- Excellent “Real Life Home” series.
- Stripey tunics.

I write for Babble’s Family Style blog. Here are this week’s posts:
- This would solve my kids dress-up storage.
- These guys make the cutest sewing patterns.
- I wonder if I will ever tire of discovering adorable handmade toys.
- The artichoke is super sweet.
- I love when two of my favorite things come together.

I hope you have a great weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

1 bdaiss February 11, 2011 at 10:36 am

Love the collage as well! And I think I’m going to be lost and laughing on this Friday over @ Let’s Panic! So hilarious.

Love the updates from the homeowners – hope you’ll continue to include it.

2 Corinne February 11, 2011 at 10:50 am

Your time zone certainly works better for me. You have stuff up for when I get time to myself on Fridays to peruse. So, you know…thanks for moving ;)
Congratulations on your French Blessings!

3 Megan February 11, 2011 at 10:51 am

Love the book storage! I just withdrew my 3 kids from school – today – so I would love to hear your plan for your kids. Its quite hard to find other like minded (design minded) moms who take every step necessary to bring up design minded kids! Reading about your journey has made me feel so much less isolated!

4 Jenny also February 11, 2011 at 11:02 am

It’s going to be hard to have to wait until Monday to see more details of that magical house! I am also very interested in hearing what you are doing for schooling for the older ones and childcare for the younger ones while you both work. The practical points of how other working moms handle childcare is something I never tire of hearing and since you are doing it all so far away from friends and family I am super curious.

5 Ashlea Walter February 11, 2011 at 11:30 am

You had me at artichoke. Lovely!

6 Ren Lady Of The Arts February 11, 2011 at 11:32 am

I really look forward to seeing all one million photos you take- have a lovely weekend.

7 Erin February 11, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I’m certainly enjoying all of the French blogging you have been up to this week. It’s such a magical place!

Also, thanks for sharing the children’s book storage ideas. My dad made a lovely toy chest for our kidlets, but it’s quickly running out of room for books and the library keeps growing!

Enjoy your weekend. XOXO

8 Rachael February 11, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I love your “A Few Things” posts, and I can’t wait for more pictures!

9 Kate Reymann February 11, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I hope you have a terrific weekend in the new house. I am simply agog at the treehouse.

I was so happy to see the Betsy Tacy series on the reading list for girls. That has got to be my favorite series of books ever. Hands down. For all eternity. The best. :-)

10 Sybil Wang February 11, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I have to say you have really inspired me with your move to France. I have lived abroad but having had kids, I thought now it’s time to just settle down, grow some roots- and I didn’t realize I was limiting myself. When I removed those mental limitations I realized how full of life I am and the possibilities out there!

11 Joanna @mymomshops February 11, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Hi Gabby! Just watched Ralph’s “Denver to Normany” video. WOW. What a wonderful momento of your journey to France. Your children are all so beautiful and poised and sweet to each other. Betty definitely steals the show, though!
Looking forward to seeing pictures of the house…

12 Natalie February 11, 2011 at 9:34 pm

thanks so much for linking my book list! quite the honor being linked by design mom! ;) you’re the best…and i’m LOVING living a vicarious adventure thru you. that house is absolutely amazing.

13 Amy February 12, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I hope you’ll include a little about your church experience in France, too, I’d like to hear about the wards there, the people, the callings, the differences and the sames. :)

14 Caroline Clark February 12, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I just saw that you moved to France and I saw the farmhouse you are living in. Enjoy it for the rest of us please!

15 priti February 13, 2011 at 12:14 am

wow!……………….enjoy your stay in France.
i hope to visit france someday esp Paris:)
waiting to see your pics!

16 Virginia @ spider flower February 13, 2011 at 4:52 am

Make sure you have some down-time for yourself! We used to have to move countries every 9 months and uproot the kids for my husband’s work, so I know how hard it is… but your place looks wonderful, congratulations.

17 vanessa @ silly eagle books February 13, 2011 at 8:16 am

Thought of you and your beautiful new treehouse when I saw this tree house pillow: http://www.etsy.com/listing/59666113/treehouse-pillow

18 Anneliese February 22, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I love when you share about childrens’ books, and so I just have to share this with you–a Golden Books themed baby shower I designed for some friends. (http://www.aestheticnest.com/2011/01/party-golden-books-baby-shower.html ) Don’t you just love Golden books? I especially love the library reading list idea in this post.

-A