A Creative Mint

February 9, 2011

red and white objects pretty A Creative Mintred and white papers pretty A Creative Mint

These images by A Creative Mint are keeping my mind on Valentine’s Day. I am trying to think of something really nice to do for Ben Blair. Any ideas?

spotted on Twig & Thistle

1 Ren Lady Of The Arts February 9, 2011 at 9:15 am

You are so sweet- My husband and I don’t celebrate Vday beyond cards with special words- I also make crafts with the kids at home- They go to a Jewish school that doesn’t celebrate valentines day so I try to give them some fun white/red and pink crafts to do at home. This year we’re going to make some book marks to send to grandparents too- easy to mail!

2 Becky February 9, 2011 at 9:26 am

Each Valentine’s I snag my husband’s iPod and add a special song to his mix. Then, when he’s on his run he gets a little surprise from me. Last year, I even voice overed an intro to the song wishing him Happy Valentine’s.

3 Sarah February 9, 2011 at 9:38 am

I think my best ideas so far have been these:
-If your guy plays an instrument- print out sheet music for a special song (my husband just took up the accordion and I found him some fun sheet music for our daughter’s favorite songs so they can enjoy it together.)
-Adding pages to a scrapbook of ticket stubs and notes between us from the last year.
-Cooked a favorite dish, but cut some of the ingredients into heart shapes (cheesy, but was really cute) using little metal cake decorating cutters.
-Notes hidden for him to find all day. On the shower faucet handle, his toothbrush, cereal bowl, cell phone, steering wheel, etc. and a message left at work.
-We still have the empty bottle from the champagne we shared when we got engaged. I think this year I’ll use it as a vase or pitcher for Valentine’s Day dinner.
Hope something sparks your own ideas.

4 Becca February 9, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I love the sheet music idea, Sarah. Any tips on where to find sheet music?

5 Sarah February 9, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I found it on sheetmusicplus.com. They had a ton of great options, even for more obscure instruments.

6 French Gifts February 16, 2011 at 12:27 am

Oh great. The song is really very nice. Thanks for the website. We will find more songs. And the creative mint is awesome. Thanks for your creativity. Colors are looking gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

7 Yevette February 9, 2011 at 11:03 am

The image of the fabrics is inspiring!

8 Sara February 9, 2011 at 11:13 am

Hmmm, you guys having just moved to France, at first I was thinking maybe a special bottle of wine from the region you are living in (if it’s a wine region), either from the year you got married or from this year to age? But, then I realized, you are Mormon and likely don’t drink alcohol…so, how about applying that type of concept to fancy cheese (if Ben Blair is a foodie?)? Or a fun French poster that could be easily sent back to the U.S. when you return?

9 christina February 9, 2011 at 11:15 am

hmm your in France! All you need to worry about is who is going to watch your children and what you are going to wear for your first Parisian Valentine’s Day!

10 bdaiss February 9, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Love the images.
I like the idea of leaving little notes everywhere. Although that may be a challenge with so many little ones running around. (My first suggestion was going to be to find a fun cafe/restaurant in the area for a true romantic french evening…but my guess is you don’t have a handy babysitter yet!) You probably haven’t been “in-country” long enough for him to be missing anything from home too much either. What a challenging project. Ooo! What about making a favorite meal and having the kids play “hosts” – waiter, matre’d, dj, etc?

11 lisa February 9, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Put your kids to bed and have a candlelight picnic in that amazing tree house? Or in the amazing garden? (Unless it’s a little cold for that, I’m not sure what the weather is like there).

12 Jenny February 9, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I’m loving the tape and the twine! What a pretty display! I’m afraid I’m not much for ideas though… sorry!

13 r8chel February 9, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I had never heard of A Creative Mint before reading this post, but I just clicked through quite a few pages on her site and then added it to my feed reader. I always enjoy having new, lovely, inspiring blogs to read — thanks! :)

14 LLH Designs February 9, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Her blogs is one of my favorites. A total “go to” spot when I need some color inspiration!

France is all I can think about these days!!!
Xo,
Linsey

15 Alli February 9, 2011 at 6:56 pm

here is what my girls & I made for Valentine’s Day..

xo.

16 Katrina Crane February 9, 2011 at 9:12 pm

This is just an idea to keep in your pocket: I asked my hubby’s parents what his favorite childhood book was growing up, and then got it for him. Unfortunately for me, “Fireball XL-5″ the Little Golden Book (like $.59 to buy in the day) turned out to be a collector item. So. That Little Golden Book cost me a Little Golden Fortune ($38 on ebay.) But he has it now, and he keeps it safe on a shelf in his office.

This also works for siblings as well. My lil’ sis loved “Elephant on Wheels.” And since all y’all have never heard of these books, it makes them even more precious to the children who loved them. ;D

17 Ohlalamum February 10, 2011 at 10:14 am

Congrats on your move to France! My husband is French – we lived in Paris and frequently return to France to visit family and friends. Isn’t France just the most wonderful country?

Here is the Valentine I made my husband: http://www.ohlalamum.com/oh-la-la/2011/2/9/a-valentine-for-mon-cheri.html. You could consider stuffing the envelope pockets of this Valentine with tickets to a show or museum exhibition in Paris (there are always so many wonderful exhibitions going on to choose from), train tickets for a weekend away/day trip, a piece of lavender with a promise to visit Provence during the year you are in France, a “certificate” for his favorite meal made from fresh ingredients you gather from the local market, or some of those delicious little French candies they sell at this time of year. And/or you could list on each card your goals for your year together in France. J’espere que vous vous amusez bien en France!