Comments on: Passports & Visas The Intersection of Design & Motherhood Thu, 11 Feb 2016 23:54:31 +0000 hourly 1 By: La très bonne carte visa disponible en algérie La très bonne carte visa disponible en algérie Tue, 12 May 2015 07:08:26 +0000 Une carte visa est un moyen de payement qui
vous permet de faire des achats surr internet et dans les magasins où
la carte visa sont acceptées. En utilisant une carte bancaire dee type visa card en Algérie
comme ceole que nous proposons, vus pouvez recharger la carte plus facilement que Mastercard, et avec tout ça vous
avez la possibilité recevoir l’argent avec paypal et ou Skrill et
bien d’autres ce qui n’est pas le cas avec les cartes de
type Mastercard.vous avez la possibilité d’utiliser
cette carte visa directement pour régler en ligne en utilisant
les seize chiffres de la carte visa et les numéros de sécurité.

By: K K Wed, 05 Mar 2014 05:20:35 +0000 Hi Gabrielle,

I just discovered your blog today and am so blown away and inspired by some parallel paths we share. I’m also a designer as well as blog personally and have been ever so slowly planning to live abroad in France ( indefinitely to forever). My husband and I also run our own business online, making it possible for us to not need to work in France. I’m curious, as I haven’t found any definitive information, what type of visa did you apply for? I know there is the Skills & Talents visa – where you must present a type of work that would contribute to the French economy ie. by working in France, but seeing as we run our own businesses like you, we don’t wish to establish business in France (yet). I hope you can take a second to share, thanks so much. I’m a excited fan of your work and am eagerly reading every French post.


By: pamela pamela Wed, 12 Feb 2014 20:12:48 +0000 my partner is a South African with a British indefinite leave to remain visa, problem is he works in France and has over stayed by 5 months, he is still their working and was wondering what problems he might have trying to leave France? (flying this sunday) any answers will be greatly appreciated

By: Melissa Melissa Tue, 16 Aug 2011 03:39:06 +0000 I realize this is an old post, but thought I would comment anyway since I found a total lifesaver for getting passport photos –

You take your own passport photos at home (no fancy camera, lighting, or backdrop needed), upload the files to their site, use their cropping tool to get the passport photo dimensions, and then select to have them printed at a Walgreens, CVS, etc or have them mailed to their house. Especially great for when you have to get passport photos for your kids (mine are 2 and 4 and would NEVER sit still at a drugstore for passport photos). Plus, the photos don’t come out like mugshots – no awful fluorescent lighting like in the stores!

By: Marv Marv Wed, 20 Jul 2011 06:50:39 +0000 I thought finding this would be so arduous but it’s a bereze!

By: Hannah S Hannah S Wed, 16 Feb 2011 06:12:12 +0000 Oh, yes, I forgot and someone mentioned it above. The very first appointment w/the visa people I had to have all my documents, translated into French with an official approval stamp. I think we paid someone to do that. And I don’t know what it’ll be like in Normandy but each new step you have to go to a different building. So in Paris I remember going to at least 4 different official locations (some several times, I went monthly, bcse like I said before, they love paperwork!). I hope it’s not nearly as painful for you.
But it’s so worth it!!!!

By: Hannah S Hannah S Wed, 16 Feb 2011 06:04:50 +0000 I’m impressed that you received yours so quickly! When my husband and 1 child at the time, moved to Paris for a year we had to go through all that run around too. My husband, interned for the first 3 months, so he used a visitor visa (or perhaps even business) and did not need to fly to San Fran (we lived in Provo at the time). But my 8 month old baby and I had to fly to San Fran a week before we were to fly to Paris (bcse it took them soooooo long to complete their side of the paper work….typical French bureaucracy, you’ll find that they LOVE their paperwork). We did the same as you. Took 1 backpack as carry on, flew in to San Fran, had an uncle generously pick me up, drove me to the consulate, gave him the approved paperwork and that was it! It took 10 minutes. Then, my after my husband’s internship was over and he started classes at the Sorbonne in the Fall he had to fly from Paris to San Fran and back in 24 hours (I think he did get a hotel for that night) to get his different visa. Once I was in the country I had to immediatly start applying for the long term visa. It took the ENTIRE year of living there to finally get it. I had to go in, over and over again, with new paperwork that they did not tell me I needed at the last visit. Wait to get a new appointment, struggle with their inability (or desire to see me struggle :) ) with French ( I came out in tears, even after praying like crazy before hand, every visit, unless my fluent hubby was with me), get my chest x-rayed for TB, etc, etc and finally got the stamp! Plus, did you know that with their socialized system you *may* be approved for housing assistance. We were only able to take advantage of it once I got my visa, so for one month. But they supplement your rent. I can’t remember if it’s you fall under a certain income or are a student or not. Anyway, it would have been helpful.
I am glad your visas went so much smoother! You never want that feeling of being deported. You want to be legal, right?
Thanks for sharing!!

By: Chrysti H Chrysti H Mon, 14 Feb 2011 16:02:52 +0000 I can relate to your visas. My husband and I went through a huge ordeal when I was issued the WRONG visa to enter the UK back in October. Thankfully, the UK consulate let us change it. We no longer have to worry about visas, though we now have indefinite leave to remain!

Enjoy life in France! :)

By: MrsSmith MrsSmith Mon, 07 Feb 2011 19:03:59 +0000 Just a note: Both parents DO NOT have to be there for the passport application process. There is a form that one parent can sign and have notarized that allows the other parent to show up alone. I did this when I applied for my daughter and my husband was working.

By: Lara Lara Sun, 06 Feb 2011 08:07:57 +0000 Hi Gabbie,

Congrats on your big adventure. I’m so glad your visas came through, because your back-up plan likely would have been a huge nightmare for you! I can just envision a scenario where you and your husband go on your vacation, then couldn’t get back into France to get your kids and all your stuff–yikes!

Those 3 months are cumulative, not consecutive, and you are going to need your visa when you want to travel after your first 90 days. And, it does apply to the entire Schengen area (so, many of the countries you might want to visit while abroad.)
My experience here in Italy was a little different than yours. My husband traveled to our consulate in Houston to turn in his application for his work visa, we fly on that visa and my tourist visa, and then I did my long stay application and processing once we arrived here, with the help of a translator hired by my husband’s company. You should post a follow up on your experience checking in at the local office, I found my experience to be hugely entertaining and gave me a lot of respect for anyone who tries to navigate that experience in any country.

By: Karan Karan Sat, 05 Feb 2011 22:45:27 +0000 In the US a child must verify their relationship to their parent simply by stating that she’s my mom or he’s my dad. Be sure to practice before going to the passport desk. I watched as one little shy little girl almost totally blew the application process. Finally, with lots of coaxing from the clerk, she understood what he was asking her and said the magic words.

By: Chez Loulou Chez Loulou Mon, 31 Jan 2011 15:00:55 +0000 Just found you through a blogger friend in Paris and I’ve enjoyed reading about your upcoming move. Congratulations! I’m sure you’ll love living in France.
We’re going on 8 years living in a small village in the south of France (my husband and I are both American) and have never regretted the decision to move here for even a moment.
Good luck! Look forward to reading about your upcoming adventures.

By: Confursed Confursed Sun, 30 Jan 2011 15:55:44 +0000 What was the motivation you gave for wanting a longer stay visa?

One little thing with your story though. The three month period does not restart just because you leave Schengen and come back in. It is 3 months every six months. So the clock only stops when you leave within that 6 month period it does not reset. You are misleading people into thinking they can ‘cheat’ the system by leaving and entering that way.

And because the EU includes MANY countries now, if you are caught overstaying your max 3 month tourist ‘visa’, you are banned from the ENTIRE Schengen area for years, not just the country you left. That means you will have trouble even transiting any Schengen country because when you pass through passport control, a hit comes up in the system.

By: Marlo Marlo Fri, 28 Jan 2011 10:01:08 +0000 We lived in France for a year and had to do similar things for a visa, although it was easier, as they were student visas. I can’t wait to read all your stories about your carte de sejour. That will be the exciting part. I would recommend keeping at least one passport photo, because in France many applications and documentation require a photo. They have booths that you can get entire sheets printed out from one of your own passport photos. This was easier for us (and cheaper) then having to get passport photos taken again in France. Honestly, my blood card even required a self-provided photo. Good luck and have fun with the carte.

My advice for others would be to always bring extra copies of everything (don’t you love the word triplicate). I have seen people denied identity cards in France because they didn’t bring one copy. Also, try to move through your employer if possible. They take care of a lot of the red tape. Oh, I almost forgot. For our carte de sejour (identity card in France), we had to have our birth certificates and marriage certificate translated into French by a consulate-approved translater. This was expensive, but made things so much easier when we arrived in France and already had all the documents ready. If you have any questions, email me. Bonne chance and bon courage.

By: ShelliDawn ShelliDawn Thu, 27 Jan 2011 03:23:59 +0000 …Never mind, after hitting the “Refresh” button for what seemed like the 100th time, the page layout changed. :o)

By: ShelliDawn ShelliDawn Thu, 27 Jan 2011 03:22:18 +0000 …I would love to read the article and all the comments in full…but, am I the only one who can’t see the article in it’s entirety becaues the words are being partially blocked by the Sponsor ads (on the left hand side). It’s not undoable, but it’s making it painstakingly difficult to read with fluidity… I’m relocating to Spain soon, and the information seems apropos…

Any suggestions…??? TIA

By: Kate The Great Kate The Great Mon, 24 Jan 2011 23:47:27 +0000 I don’t have any visa tips, but I’m impressed—after your description of all the setbacks that you could have had, the fact that you didn’t hit those setbacks makes me think that maybe this move really is what your family is meant to do.

By: eflat eflat Mon, 24 Jan 2011 03:13:30 +0000 as a us citizen living in hong kong with 3 kids we deal with visas often. I have to say finding a reputable company and paying them to do the visa process is what we’ve started doing. It saves us so much time, headache, you name it! We still have to do all the US consulate stuff on our own but to have someone else organize all the visa paperwork, tell us where we need to sign, and submit for us is definitely, definitely worth the money!

By: Kaye Kaye Sat, 22 Jan 2011 15:51:35 +0000 Thank you so much for all the helpful information!:)

By: kyra kyra Fri, 21 Jan 2011 22:08:51 +0000 This was helpful :-)
My husband is Active Duty Air Force, and we just found out we are moving to England for his next assignment!
Thankfully, as far as passportS/visa goes for me, there is somebody who can help me with the details and its “easier” than if I was in the civilian world to get everything done.

The difficult part is getting a Birth Certificate, Social Security Number, Social Security Card, TWO different types of passports, and a visa for our little daughter, who will be born 4 weeks before we have to report to England.

Ha. I guess this will be an adventure :-)