Memory Box from Khali Whatley

January 27, 2011

Note from Design Mom: While I’m busy with the move to France, I’ve got a crew of talented Guest Moms filling in for me. Here’s another great project post (so cute!) from Khali Whatley of Little Lovely. Enjoy!

Living in France for a year is bound to be an amazing adventure for the entire Blair family. The Blair children will make lots of wonderful memories, so I created memory boxes to help them remember their time abroad. They’re really simple and a cute alternative to journals.

1) First, I personalised the lid of a medium wooden box by dividing the lid into three equal sections. Then, I used tape to mark off each section and painted them the colours of the French flag.

2) Once the lid was dry, I measured the inside lid and walls of the box and cut pieces of a map of Paris during the Renaissance to fit. I secured the pieces of map to the inside of the box with a decoupage finish.

3) Next, I took 76 x 127mm index (or system) cards and wrote some example memories for the Blairs and decorated them with pictures of famous French landmarks.

The Blair children can collect ticket stubs, pictures and dried flowers – anything that reminds them of their year in France and attach them to an index card along with a written memory. The index cards are especially good for children as they can be re-written or replaced if required. It also means that the entire Blair family can contribute to the memory box.

4) Then, I placed the example index cards in the memory box for safekeeping.

1 Lisette Wolter-McKinley January 27, 2011 at 12:19 pm

What a clever idea!!

2 Steph January 27, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I just love little boxes… now I think I will need to move to France so I have a reason to make one… Okay I guess I just want to move to France anyway.

3 Jessica Everett-Garcia January 27, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I love this! Crafty and clever, but still practical and doable. I can already think of all sorts of applications — even for those of us who don’t get to embark on an amazing adventure in France! So jealous.

4 Nikki January 27, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I love it! I may not be going to France until Gabrielle invites me (j/k) but I want one anyway!

5 Katherine in Paris January 27, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I think this is wonderful. I have to get my act together and prepare a box to remember each year with my two kids. I’m feeling time go by so fast lately.

6 Kim Simmonds January 27, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I made boxes like this for my friends in high school. I wonder if they still have them?

7 Kym January 27, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Wow! You are amazing! This is such a great idea. Enjoy your year in France!

8 JWK January 27, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Absolutely smitten!! I’m so excited for you guys!

9 Kelly January 27, 2011 at 7:50 pm

This is such a neat idea. These could be used for adventures and vacations as well and really applies to any age child! Thanks for sharing.

10 Amy January 27, 2011 at 7:55 pm

What a fabulous idea!

11 Eva January 28, 2011 at 12:38 pm

This is such a sweet and smart idea. When I moved to London with my family a few years ago, I wanted to make the transition into a fun adventure rather than a sad leaving home kind of thing. I love how personal her memory box is but I also am not quite as crafty ! I bought hand painted keepsake chests from AnnaBeanand personalized them with my children’s names. Memory boxes are great because they can be a cute decor piece for a child’s room while also storing precious memories =)

12 Jane February 1, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Oh! I am absolutely smitten by this idea. Any tips on where to find a similar box? Preferably online as I live in Australia. Many thanks for the gorgeous idea. J x