Winter Break

December 28, 2010

craft room furniture Martha Stewart Home Decorators

Hello, Friends. Did you have a Merry Christmas? Are you enjoying the winter break with your kids?

We are trying to make the most of our precious week off. In the morning, while June naps, we accomplish as many move-related-tasks as possible. In the afternoon, we make sure the older kids get to do something fun — like ice skating or visiting the zoo. In the evenings, Ben Blair and I read (mostly, we are devouring books about France) or hit a late movie. Or both.

craft room furniture Martha Stewart Home Decorators

How about you? Are you fitting in some fun travel time this vacation? Or are you spending your week cozied up at home?

P.S. — Am I the only one coveting this new craft room furniture by Martha Stewart? Forget about a ball gown, this is what I want from my fairy godmother instead.

1 Heather Sharpe December 28, 2010 at 9:00 pm

I wish I could have an organized space like this! Martha Stewart rules and I am definitely drooling like you are :)

XO ~ Heather
Kids and Cupcakes Blog

2 Brenna December 28, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Oh that craft furniture is definitely lust-worthy! Our art and craft supplies are a disaster area. We are spending the week at home and at various friends’ homes. All relaxed and warm. :)

3 nicky December 28, 2010 at 9:40 pm

oh my. that is my craft wonderland. just slightly better than my current stack of plastic bins! :)

4 Corinne December 28, 2010 at 9:43 pm

OooOooh. I got all*i want* when i saw the sewing station. I have been getting into repurposing clothes around here. Alas no room for that kinda unit. Have to stash fabric/clothes here and there and lug the sewing machine form the basement when the mood strikes

5 Michelle December 28, 2010 at 10:43 pm

YES. I love all that white stuff. I’m making a crafting and creating space for business and pleasure in my new house and I’m dying for some of these new pieces. I’m especially in love with raised desks where I can either sit at a bar stool or stand while quickly typing an email or printing a document.

6 peggy December 29, 2010 at 4:52 am

Gabrielle, Merry Christmas and so much FUN for your move to France.
Let me know if you need help… we lived there a couple of years and my husband is French.
(Just in case, sometimes there is no answer to find…)
Looking forward to see France through your eyes :)

7 samantha December 29, 2010 at 6:00 am

It’s so pretty to look at but I don’t know if I could actually use it. What if I got paint on it??? haha

8 Tanya December 29, 2010 at 7:52 am

Mostly just getting our nest ready for our little girl. Happy New Year!

9 Lola G. December 29, 2010 at 8:39 am

I’m definitely with you — who needs ball gowns when you’ve got flat-file drawers? Oh, be still my heart! I hadn’t heard about this product line, so thanks for making the introductions.

10 Chelsea December 29, 2010 at 9:36 am

I NEED this furniture! the organization! oh my!
Love it!

11 Rachael December 29, 2010 at 9:59 am

We’ve had houseguests for just over two weeks (which means we’ve been living with a giant mess for two weeks), so I’m even MORE envious of the neat, tidy space in that craft room!

12 bdaiss December 29, 2010 at 11:02 am

I’m not normally an armoire person, but when I first pulled up this post my immediate reaction was “I WANT THAT!” My goal for early 2011 is to get all my crafty “stuff” organized. Well, really my goal is to complete a number of projects that have languished unfinished. But to get there, I need to get organized so I can find all the bits and pieces.

So…what good movies have you been to?

13 Lauren December 29, 2010 at 11:05 am

If I had a craft room like this, I would never leave the house. Never ever. Martha has done it again.

14 kiera December 29, 2010 at 11:11 am

martha does it again! ohhh doesn’t she always just hit the nail on the head every single time? Things I didn’t even know I longed for!

15 Katrina Crane December 29, 2010 at 11:27 am

Thought you might enjoy this blog: http://franceforfree.blogspot.com/ My old mission comp and her family went as well – hopefully some good tips on exchanges and how to do everything for free. Ish. ;D

Lookin’ out for ya baby….

16 Tara Sharp December 29, 2010 at 11:36 am

What books are you reading about France? We have been talking about moving to Southern France in a few years- once we have a family and I would love to know more about your resources!

Thanks,
Tara

17 Heather Y Vincent December 29, 2010 at 11:51 am

I too, LOVE that craft room furniture!!! The green color is beautiful! It’s been kind of difficult to find fun things to do during Christmas break. We live in a small town in rural Utah and there isn’t much to do. We have to be VERY creative. Yesterday, we made crayons….lots and lots of crayons. My almost 4 year old LOVED every minute of it!

18 Charlotte December 29, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Would highly suggest the book, French or Foe, by Polly Platt. I lived in Normandy for a year and it was a great help to understand the French. Also, learn how to say the expression, ‘Excusez-moi de vous deranger….’ It tranlastes to ‘Pardon me for bothering you….’ and then you follow it with your question. French people find it very polite and are more apt to help you out if you start with that. Bon chance (good luck!)

19 grace December 29, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I am seriously coveting right now.

20 Mellissa Rosenhan December 29, 2010 at 4:10 pm

So cute…hopefully in my next house I get a whole room devoted to crafting! :)

21 Jan @ Family Bites December 29, 2010 at 5:04 pm

That cabinet in the first
picture is to die for. I have an old but similar one in the basement and I should try to make it into this one. Have you seen any good movies?

22 Erin C. December 29, 2010 at 8:55 pm

um…YEAH!! The PERFECT furniture for my dream of another baby…I could hid away ALL of my sewing/craft stuff AND still have a nursery….now I just need to convince the hubby…..

Thanks for sharing!!!

23 Be Like the Squirrel, Girl December 30, 2010 at 1:05 am

In the aftermath, I’m realizing I need to invest in some kind of organizational/toy storage system. So the next project is seeing how I can maximize the space we have while finding a nice way for everything to have its own place. I’m glad you have a “search” window!

24 alyson boehr December 30, 2010 at 3:28 am

As much as I would like to be organized like Martha, I’ve discovered through many trials and errors that I am not crafty (at all!)…however, if said fairy godmother wished, she could poof me in a gourmet kitchen:)

25 cherish December 30, 2010 at 9:43 am

Martha thinks of everything! Being crafty and organized, don’t you have to use both sides of your brain for that? Brilliant.
Your adventure to France sounds so exciting. I can’t wait to hear about your experiences.

26 Jen December 31, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Before I had finished reading I was getting so jealous that this was your house and it was so beautiful and organized. If I close my eyes real tight and wish really really hard will my fairy godmother bring this as well?? Here’s hoping! Happy New Year!

27 handmadecharlotte January 8, 2011 at 10:54 pm

FRANCE….Ohhhhh…I know a few phrases as well….might not be as polite…:)

28 Pax Martín January 10, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Superb! I wish we had something like that in Europe… I would definetely get one of those cabinets to organise for my sewing mess!

29 Peach January 11, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Wonderful furniture!!! I especially like the one with dowels for gift wrappers and ribbons. Super like!

30 Jen December 28, 2011 at 11:05 am

Gabby, please remove my last posted comment. It was late, and I was in an overwhelmed, end of the year, start of the new year funk. You are so creative & your blog is lovely. I have been and will continue to be an avid follower. My apologies.