Vive la France!

December 17, 2010

Oh my goodness. We’re really doing it. We found a house and sent off our contract and security deposit last night.

So. It’s now officially official.

WE’RE MOVING TO FRANCE!

Next up: shopping for plane tickets. We’re aiming to move on February 1st. Which is just 6 short weeks away.

I’m so excited I can hardly stand it.

I’ve been talking about the possibility of this move for months and curious readers have sent in lots of smart questions about the whole adventure. I’ll answer some below.

1) Why are you doing this?

Mostly, it’s because we can. My husband and I both work at home and the kids aren’t in high school yet. We’ve always talked about doing something like this and realized if we didn’t make it happen soon, it wouldn’t happen at all. We hope an experience like this will be very formative for our family and will help our children have more world-minded viewpoints. We are planning to go for a year, but would definitely consider extending our time there if it makes sense.

2) Do you speak French?

Un peu. I studied French in high school and for 2 semesters in college, but I can only remember a few words and phrases. I better get working!

3) Will you keep blogging while you’re there?

For sure. I’m pretty much addicted. Plus it’s my job. I’ll be reporting on all our adventures in case you’re curious to see what a year abroad for a family with young children is like.

4) How did you decide where to live?

Good question. After lots of research, we narrowed our country choice to France. I wasn’t interested in living in Paris (families of 8 don’t always make good city neighbors), but I wanted access to the city. So we looked for towns within 1 or 2 hours of Paris with a direct train. Then it came down to finding an actual house. We wanted something that would fit our large family, was furnished and was in our price range. The house we found (it’s in the countryside of the Normandy region) is amazing! I’ll tell you all about it in a separate post.

5) What about your husband’s job?

His job will remain exactly the same. He works for K12.com as the Director of Foreign Language Curriculum. K12 is based in Washington D.C., but because their offerings are online, Ben Blair can work from anywhere.

6) What are you doing for school for your kids?

K12 is an easy choice for us because of Ben Blair’s work. But we’re determined to help our kids master French as soon as possible, so we’re also looking into the local schools or hiring a tutor. I’ll keep you updated as things develop.

7) What about practical things like selling your house? Getting a car while you’re there? Renter’s insurance and health insurance? Your kids yearly doctor visits?

Some of these things are easy. For example, we rent our house here in Denver and our contract is month-to-month so we can leave at any time. Simple. Other things are more complicated. But we’re working through the challenges one by one. Whenever I have a good tip, I’ll let you know. In fact, I’m considering writing a weekly post where I can discuss some of these practical things. Is that a feature you would like?

8) Are you scared?

Terrified. I keep remembering when Ben Blair and I lived in Greece. Those first few months were so challenging! But ultimately, being there was wonderful for us as a couple and influenced our marriage and our lives in hugely positive ways. I hope (and suspect) the same will be true for our year in France.

Watercolor of Dinan, France by Wayne Roberts

1 Damaris @Kitchen Corners December 17, 2010 at 3:23 pm

your kids will love it. it will be crazy hard but they will love it. i can 100% guarantee it.

2 kalanicut December 17, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I think this is a fantastic opportunity. I can’t wait to hear all about it and I would love weekly feature on dealing with all the little “deets”. The one thing you didn’t mention, unless I missed it, are you going to be near your sister & her family?

3 Lisa H. December 17, 2010 at 3:31 pm

My husband and I are thinking of doing something similar! Yay! I call it an “adult gap year.” I’m totally supportive of you guys, and think it will be awesome.

4 Ms. Amy December 17, 2010 at 3:35 pm

What an amazing opportunity – and I am so excited that you MADE IT HAPPEN. So often we talk about taking chances like this, but so seldom do it. You and the family will love it & I can’t wait to read all about your adventures in Europe! I’d love to take the family abroad – maybe some day!

5 Carly December 17, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Really exciting, and I would love to read posts about planning your stay there. My Husband and I are moving to Brazil for the summer and I am overwhelmed by all the preparations!

6 Debbie D December 17, 2010 at 3:41 pm

What?!! That is amazing! Congrats to you! My hubby and I have often tossed around the idea of moving to France ourselves but are not quite as brave as you all ;) I hope it exceeds all of your wildest dreams! Best of luck to you and your family in your new adventure!

7 Shana December 17, 2010 at 3:44 pm

I didn’t realize your husband works for k12. We are using their first grade curriculum for our daughter.

8 LaCheshireChat December 17, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I live in Côtes d’Armor. I’m also American with children and I’ve been here 6 years now. If you need any help, advice, need a question answered or just want to rant (and oh… you will) feel free to contact me directly.
1 February is my birthday, so, good day to come over here!
May I wish you Joyeux Fêtes, Bonne Année, Bonne Santé and a very happy Bienvenue!

9 whoorl December 17, 2010 at 3:56 pm

This is the most wonderful news, Gabrielle! I am so excited for your family and can’t wait to read about your adventures. xoxo

10 Heidi December 17, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Congratulations! My husband and I visited the Normandy region last year and definitely wished we could live there! My husband and his siblings grew up as Americans living in Europe and absolutely loved it. Your kids will have a great time!

11 Meghan Beutler December 17, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Oh, how wonderful! I would love to do the same for a while. Happy packing… we just moved across 3 states and that was work enough just with 3 family members and a cat.

12 Becky Burk December 17, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Je suis verts de jalousie! (I am GREEN with envy)
J’adore Francais! I’m dying to hear about your journey as we are contemplating a move to abroad.

13 Erin December 17, 2010 at 4:19 pm

So excited for you! I hope that you continue blogging while you are there, so that we all can enjoy your beautiful family and style in FRANCE!

14 bernadette December 17, 2010 at 4:21 pm

what a wonderful adventure! I wish you the best of luck and hope that the move and settling in goes smoothly. I look forward to reading about your adventures!

And as a reader and someone who does want to have my family live abroad for a few years (right now, we’ve decided the baby is too young), I’d love to hear about the move and how you handle it.

15 Becky December 17, 2010 at 4:24 pm

I haven’t commented before (though I’ve read your blog for ages) but I had to say I am so proud of you for being so gutsy to really make it happen! I am so excited for you! I’ve got 6 kids, too, and we can’t wait to hear of your adventures abroad! Félicitations! What a great mom you are to give this experience to your little ones :)

16 Sarah December 17, 2010 at 4:27 pm

I’ m so jealous. Hubby and I loved our visit to Paris three years ago and thought it was a great city for kids. Have a great time!

17 Kelly December 17, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Congratulations! What an amazing move! I can not wait to read all about the house. (drool)

18 christy December 17, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Congratulations!!! I am sooo excited for you guys! And heck ya at least one weekly post on the move would be LOVED by me, and by all, I’m sure! I want to know all the details!!!

19 Elisabeth@YCCII December 17, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I’m so excited for you!

Please do the regular feature of things like getting a car, insurance, etc. It’s a dream for us as well but I’ve always been leery of the red tape.

Oh, and just warn Maude that they’re going to want to call her “mode.” :-)

20 Chris December 17, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Thrilled for you!!!!!!! And a wee bit jealous.

21 Lisa Long December 17, 2010 at 4:41 pm

I would be super interested in a weekly post about the logistics of this! I dream of doing this with our kids. It’s not a possibility right now, but I’m hoping that sometime in the next few years we’ll be able to do it. I can’t wait to hear all about it!

22 Sara B. December 17, 2010 at 4:44 pm

We’re hoping to move to London in 1-2 years with our family – by then it will be a family of six or seven! We’ll definitely be following your journey. We know now that living in London will mean fitting the six or seven of us into maybe 1200 square feet…

23 Zang December 17, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Sounds so exciting! I sure wish I can just leave the artic (Minnesota) and move some place else as well. I can’t wait to hear more about your adventure (and pictures too). :)

24 Margaret December 17, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I would LOVE to hear some of your tips and experiences with the practical things like housing, health care, etc. I love dreaming about adventures but the practical things are always what cause me to think “Oh, we could never….”

25 BuenoBaby December 17, 2010 at 5:02 pm

How exciting! My husband and I moved with our three young daughters to Mexico for a half year. Pretty much the best thing we’ve ever given our kids.

26 Julie December 17, 2010 at 5:03 pm

HOW EXCITING!!!!!

27 Gandhali December 17, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Wow, that sounds amazing! I can’t wait for the new French perspective on DesignMom posts.

In your post, you say that you’re addicted to blogging. I like to think that I am, too (though I’m nowhere near as awesome as you haha), but sometimes, I just don’t feel like posting anything (or sometimes I feel obliged to post). Does that ever happen to you? How do you overcome it? :)

28 Jennifer December 17, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Congratulations! It will be a wonderful adventure! I’m SO jealous! :)

29 Ana December 17, 2010 at 5:12 pm

I applaud you guys for doing this! It will be awesome for all of you, you’ll see. Nothing like being out in the world to know what the actual world is like! Good luck with everything!

30 Sandy December 17, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Right now to help me learn conversational Mandarine, I’m using Before You Know It (byki.com). You can purchase more involved, advanced sessions, but the beginner stuff is free. Bonne chance et bon voyage!

31 Sandy December 17, 2010 at 5:15 pm

*Erm, Mandarin, not Mandarine.

32 KarinS December 17, 2010 at 5:25 pm

What a wonderful experience this will be for you and your family! We packed up and moved to Newfoundland, Canada last year and love it. Not nearly of an “exotic” move as France but still there are little fun challenges here and there. So much fun – I can’t wait to read about your adventures! I hope June’s first words are in French! ;)

33 Globe trottin' mama December 17, 2010 at 5:26 pm

My family is moving abroad next year as well to a country that borders France. Like you I am both excited and terrified.

Bonne chance!

34 Kathleen December 17, 2010 at 5:29 pm

I hope you are planning on traveling a lot while there! The train systems are wonderful, easy to use. You should consider getting a Eurorail pass prior to going.

35 Free Bumblebees December 17, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Wonderful! I live in the Netherlands (born & raised) and we are planning on moving to Sweden in a couple of years. The why-question is asked a lot, and our answer is the same as yours, because we CAN. At least, thén we can, not now but we have patience (…euh, well, we act like we do haha) and in the meantime we read a lot, are planning a holiday in Sweden and we learn the language. It’s just an adventure and i think that should be enough! Adventures are good, you learn from it, the kids will and they’ll learn so much i think! I wish you lots of fun and joy preparing. And if you want to visit Holland and need a place to spend the night, you are welcome. With all the kids, yes, if you don’t mind sleeping on sofas and the floor haha :)

36 Lauren December 17, 2010 at 5:53 pm

I didn’t know Ben works for k12! I write curriculum that’s used by them! Small world!

37 Wendy December 17, 2010 at 6:03 pm

It will be fun to live vicariously through you! What a grand adventure!

38 Katherine December 17, 2010 at 6:06 pm

ahhh i’m so excited for you guys! two pieces of advice about finding some babysitters… when i studied abroad in spain, i babysat for several american families who were living or visiting abroad. if there’s a university nearby that has an exchange program and you’d appreciate an english speaker for the little kids, you might contact the international office to put out the word to any americans/brits studying there.. also, when my cousin moved to zurich with his family, he contacted an au pair agency there who hooked him up with some girls who were waiting to go to the US as au pairs and appreciated the opportunity to sit for americans and practice their english ahead of time! i know you will figure it all out in no time, and yes i would love to read a weekly entry on the logistics of it all! congrats on chasing your dream!!

39 Junglewife December 17, 2010 at 6:22 pm

I live overseas, too, in a place that is worlds apart from where you will be living. But at the same time there are GREAT resources out there that have helped me tremendously, and honestly, would probably be more helpful to you than to me, since you will be living in a more urban area (or at least have access to urban areas!) One of the books out there that was a great help to me is The Expert Expatriate (http://www.amazon.com/Expert-Expat-Revised-Successful-Relocation/dp/1857883845/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292635266&sr=8-1)
I grew up overseas so thought I didn’t need much “help” but moving overseas with a family is a whole different ballgame! I hope it goes very, very well for you! Very exciting!

40 Rena December 17, 2010 at 6:31 pm

So dreamy… I’m excited to read all about your family’s adventures.

41 Kulia December 17, 2010 at 6:37 pm

As Americans just moved to Australia with children I will note to be prepared for food changes to be difficult on the kids, it is one area where they have control and my child who in the US ate salad and kidney beans and tomatoes for snacks is going quite bland as she transitions. I’m sure her taste buds will recover soon.

We also found XE.com really good for transferring funds from US accounts to AUS accounts without all the fees that direct bank transfers cost us, it took about a week to set up and you might want to do that before you leave as you need to have two forms of ID, etc. ready when setting up an account.

Oh, and have fun, congrats!

42 amy December 17, 2010 at 6:45 pm

what an amazing adventure you will have!! i am excited to “follow” you to France!

43 Michelle December 17, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Wow that’s a big move! Good for you, I’d love to hear more, that weekly post sounds like an excellent idea.

44 Connie December 17, 2010 at 6:51 pm

wow! How cool is that? what an adventure, looking forward to your blogs…up and moving six kids to a foreign country, you are amazing!

45 beyond December 17, 2010 at 6:53 pm

how exciting is this? it will be a gift to your children. i grew up in several countries and several linguistic regions and it was a gift for me. i look forward to reading about your adventures!

46 robbie December 17, 2010 at 7:02 pm

I follow your sister’s blog as well, isn’t she moving too?

47 Heather Maynard December 17, 2010 at 7:03 pm

I’m SO excited for you & your family…and for us (your readers) because we get to read all about your adventures!

48 Lori December 17, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Oh how exciting!! What a great adventure for the whole family!

49 Abbeyviolet December 17, 2010 at 7:11 pm

I love France and am so excited that you are embracing this grand adventure!

50 Sally December 17, 2010 at 7:14 pm

I hope you plan on keeping us posted on all of your preparations (like you don’t have a million other things you need to be doing). We are looking at living over seas in a a few years and I would love to know how you pick what you are taking with you. Especially when it comes to your kids.

51 Heather December 17, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Congratulations/felicitacion! (I think, my French is un peu, too).
I can’t believe you will be leaving in 6 weeks!
I would LOVE to read weekly posts on how one accomplishes a move to a new country…so take good notes! Are you at all nervous about travelling with baby June? My daughter is turning 6 months, and my husband is ready to travel.
I am so excited for you and your family. This will be an incredible life experience for the Blair family!
Heather

52 Heather December 17, 2010 at 7:50 pm

LOL @ Sally’s comment (the last two sentences). Sorry, I am sleep deprived due to my 6 mo and I read that a certain way. ;)

53 Amy3 December 17, 2010 at 7:54 pm

How exciting! I can’t wait to hear all about it! So inspiring. Have fun!

54 Kathleen December 17, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Wow — what a thrill!!
I lived in Europe for a few years as a kid and it is illuminating for children to compare life there and here.

The reference to France reminds me of this poster:

Wishing you all the best. It’s gonna be awesome!!

55 maureen December 17, 2010 at 8:54 pm

i’ve been waiting to hear france updates and i’m looking forward to more in the future!! i would love to hear about your experience as my husband and i consider something similar in our future!

56 Jes December 17, 2010 at 8:55 pm

your life is too cool…

i’m trying so very hard to be THRILLED for you…

but i’m slightly too envious at the moment.
;-)

57 Julie D. December 17, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Oh, I am green with envy! I can’t wait to hear about all of your adventures, and I wish you the best of times as you prepare for this exciting time abroad.

58 handmadecharlotte December 17, 2010 at 9:07 pm

oh my goodness!! i love design mom! i cannot wait for details! coolest family ever!

59 Rachel Halatokoua December 17, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Shut the front door! Congrats!!!!

60 jen December 17, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Oh, SO much fun! Yes, I’d love to hear anything that you have to say about it all! We’ve talked about living overseas for quite some time, and are kids are getting every closer to those high school years!

61 Genevieve December 17, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Isn’t your sister moving there, as well? In a couple of months? Did that have anything to do with your decision? This is going to be so much fun for you!!

62 Christina December 17, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Hooray! That is such good news – can’t wait for all the practical details. How blessed you are!

63 Isabel @AlphaMom December 17, 2010 at 9:43 pm

sounds terrifying and wonderful at the same time. But, mostly EXCITING!

64 plaeground December 17, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Good memories await!! Heres hoping that your trip will bring all that you wish and more. Can’t wait to see the pictures! oh and the shopping too!

65 Shandra Lenae December 17, 2010 at 10:09 pm

I am absolutly SICK with excitement for you and the fam! Way to go girl, your’e actually doing it!

66 L A C E Y December 17, 2010 at 10:11 pm

i would love to hear more about the practical things!!

67 sara December 17, 2010 at 10:20 pm

I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU! I can hardly stand it! Seriously, this is the best news of the day! Good for you. Do it now, before your brood gets any older. I’m a fan of “grab life by the balls and get on with it” (I just made that little slogan up just now) and I admire what you’re doing. I can’t wait to hear more about your adventures! YAY!

68 Candice December 17, 2010 at 10:26 pm

I moved to Bangkok, Thailand with my family four years ago- it’s been a truly growing, stretching, and learning time for all of us. The first year had it’s tough times adjustment-wise- def. expect highs and lows and cultural loves and hates. The kids did great- they just adopted Thai culture and feel more at home here than in the States. They go to Thai schools and for us, it’s been a really good experience for learning language and fitting in with the culture. I feel like my kids are world citizens now and I love that. I’m excited to hear all about France through your blog! Blessings on your big adventure!

69 Randi December 17, 2010 at 10:26 pm

I am so so happy that you are moving to France! My husband and I along with our two little girls will be embarking to Paris in the fall and staying for a year as well. My husband will be attending Le Cordon Bleu and we’ll be living in the city. I’m so happy you and your sister (I also obviously love her blog too) are doing it a little ahead of us so I can benefit from all your good advice and experiences. Good luck to you all! Hope it’s an amazing experience for all of our families!

-Randi

70 Abby December 17, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I think… I’m the most jealous I’ve ever been in my entire life. You’re living a DREAM! a crazy, kid filled SWEETAWESOME dream. i’m so excited for you guys! and tiny June learning to walk in France! mind boggling.

71 Jessica December 17, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Coolest. idea. ever. I’m so excited for you and your family — what a fun adventure!

72 Helen December 17, 2010 at 11:23 pm

Excuse me! But how can you live a full and meaningful life without a True Value in close proximity? I’m sure you’ll manage just fine – but really?!

73 Sarah December 18, 2010 at 12:02 am

You are so smart to do this. I agree that it’ll be great for your kids. My husband and I dream of this type of adventure. While his job lets him work at home he still has onsite meetings with clients so no moving is in our future. I’ll be living through your experience in France and cannot wait. Cheers to your family!

74 Christy December 18, 2010 at 12:08 am

My husband and I lived in England for four years and had two children while we were there. We have so many good memories. France sounds wonderful!

75 ann December 18, 2010 at 12:08 am

I am so excited for you and your family! What an amazing opportunity and how blessed you all are to have it! Can’t wait to hear all the interesting stories and tips you have to tell us about:)

76 pixelvixen December 18, 2010 at 12:17 am

Oh my gosh, this is so exciting! I’m so excited for you! My parents moved my sister and I to Germany when I was in the 6th grade, my sister in first. It was such an amazing 5 years… your kids are going to be so much more aware of the world, cultured, and much “cooler” amongst their friends when you return. :) Europe is awesome. Good luck!!

77 Katherine December 18, 2010 at 2:03 am

Yay, can’t wait! I live in Paris with my kids and have loved your blog from afar. And now you are coming to me!

78 Natalia December 18, 2010 at 5:17 am

Wow, fantastic news (and jealous about the living in France bit). As someone who has lived in different hemispheres, and has a son who will be living in his third country in seven years come next year, if there is anything I can help with, or give advice, let me know! And the train from Normandy to where I am living here in the UK is not that far you know …. :)

79 Doris C December 18, 2010 at 5:47 am

Congratulations. I’m excited and happy for you (although I only know you through your blog).

I want to say that I think that it’s amazing that you’re doing this with your large family. I think that I always thought that now that I have a family, I have to stay put (although Toronto, Canada is a great place to live and raise a family).

I can’t wait to read about it!

80 Kristin December 18, 2010 at 6:24 am

How fantastic!

81 Monica December 18, 2010 at 6:42 am

Good luck with your move! I am sure you will all love it! Can’t wait to see all the places you travel too! We live in Germany (my husband is stationed at Ramstein). Who knows- maybe I will see you someday in the streets of Paris!

82 sarah k December 18, 2010 at 7:37 am

Fabulous! When I was 5, my parents and I lived in Berlin for a year. (My dad did a Fulbright exchange programs and traded jobs & homes with another teacher and her family). I am forever grateful that I had that experience. I went to first grade in an all-German school and within a few months, I was indistinguishable from a native speaker. I kept it up through the years and am still quite fluent. Having another language, especially one that you can think in and don’t have to translate into is such a gift to give your children! I don’t remember much from my life before we went to Germany–only a handful of memories. But I remember the year there very vividly, and it shaped me for life: it broadened my horizons culturally, linguistically, geographically; gave me a sense of kinship with people who otherwise would have seemed far away and distant; and gave me a sense of identification with another country’s landscape and culture. I think it will be a tremendous blessing for your kids and your whole family. I always planned to give this same experience to my kids–now we have three kids and I’m not sure how it will work out with my husband’s job and my kids’ food allergies, but I still hope it will someday! Best of luck to you!

83 Ainsley December 18, 2010 at 10:48 am

Yay, congrats! I’m so excited for you. And please oh please write about some practical things in separate posts… my family wants to do thevery same thing in Germany and we are debating trying a month out first. You inspire us to consider jumping in for a year off the bat, though!

84 Tarin Rafferty December 18, 2010 at 11:27 am

that is so cool, good luck to you all.

85 Jordan December 18, 2010 at 12:26 pm

I am so happy for you and your family, Gabby. Happy (and a tad bit jealous). Bon Voyage mon ami!

86 Jen December 18, 2010 at 12:59 pm

This is the most amazing thing I’ve ever heard.
Good luck to you!
I am so inspired by this…

87 Emjay December 18, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Love this blog. Congrats on the move, I am sure you will find it interesting. Many Brits live in Normandy so try not to fall in the English language trap :) I hope that you can find a way to stick around for more than a year. I have been in Belgium now for five years, and as have others have said, you don’t seem to fall into a groove until towards the end of year 1.

88 Musings of a Housewife December 18, 2010 at 4:48 pm

WOW! I am so excited for you guys. And a wee bit jealous. :-)

89 Lisa December 18, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Congrats! I didn’t know that about your husband…we used K12 for our homeschooling for 3 years and really liked it. We only switched from it this year as my oldest entered highschool and using K12 as independents became too pricey. If you give homeschooling a try, you will have to let us know!

90 Piper December 18, 2010 at 8:53 pm

That is just great!! I can’t wait to hear all of your adventures with your family=) We currently live in Japan and just had our first child, had her in the States and just returned 2 weeks ago with her. I’ll be interested to hear all about your move and getting settled in…so excited for you guys!

91 Marie Gross December 18, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Jealous!! And so excited for you!

92 amy December 19, 2010 at 12:16 am

we have been considering a year abroad with our kids (1 and 3 years old) for some time now. I would love to hear all about how you do this – logistics and all. Please keep us posted on the progress on your blog! Good luck!

93 Judy Schwartz Haley | CoffeeJitters.Net December 19, 2010 at 1:20 am

I’m so excited for you I got goose bumps. I can’t wait to read about your adjustment to your new home.

someday…. we’ve got a few things to square away first, but someday…

94 Kiasa December 19, 2010 at 5:50 am

This is SO exciting!!! My husband and I use to talk about doing this in Italy, but with three little ones we are worried it won’t happen. Gabby, you are SO inspiring! I would LOVE to hear the details about all the practicalities. I am so excited for you!!!

95 Katy R December 19, 2010 at 8:18 am

What an amazing adventure! It’s definitely something that my husband and I talk about (and often) and would love to do ourselves someday. I can only imagine the amazing adventures you are going to have. Congratulations!

96 michaela December 19, 2010 at 8:45 am

Good For You!
Just like you I have been talking about moving our family to France ( I lived in Paris for 3 years after college) since we got married. But as you know it’s so easy to put it off for various unimportant reasons.
You have given me inspiration to actually make it a reality.
I would love to hear how you do it, mainly about how you will manage the visa situation.
Bon Chance! I can’t wait to hear about all of your adventures.

97 Rachael December 19, 2010 at 9:47 am

How exciting! Your kids will love it. I studied in Normandy when I was in college and daydream about going back all the time. Normandy is known for its dairy and apples, so be sure to sample plenty of both!

98 Ann December 19, 2010 at 10:03 am

Congratulations! I have a friend in Paris that moved there with her husband’s work and they have a 6 year old and they are loving every minute. I know that this will be an incredible experience for you and your whole family! Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

99 Di December 19, 2010 at 10:35 am

I just came across your blog through a friend. I find it all quite interesting, especially since our family (of 6 now) has lived in France for about 8 years now! We live outside of Nantes (Pays de la Loire region) . God has put our family on a wonderful adventure! I know you’ll learn so much, even in just a year!

If you ever have any questions that you’d like to pose, don’t hesitate!

Praying God’s hand on your family as you make this BIG move!
Di KEENER